PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Against Climate Change .

Rheghead
05-Oct-08, 11:03
I'm thinking of starting a new lobby group for Caithness. My idea is to have a group of like-minded people who are concerned that Climate change is a major threat to the local area. They will indulge in activities such as lobbying support for renewable energy developments, better public transport and partly doing stuff what the now defunct CREF should have been doing.

Our website will feature online letters of support that will be sent to MSPs etc.

I thought of CACC for the name but I would love to hear if anyone has alternative ideas.:lol:

MadPict
05-Oct-08, 11:11
There is a lobby group - it's called nPower Renewables, E.ON Renewables etc etc...

Rheghead
05-Oct-08, 11:23
There is a lobby group - it's called nPower Renewables, E.ON Renewables etc etc...

If there was more support from ordinary members of the public then more schemes would get through planning and I think it is important that the support is local.

MadPict
05-Oct-08, 11:36
I have a suggestion and it is posted here (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=441874#post441874) - you might win more people over to the wind power camp if there isn't the feeling of fat cat companies getting even fatter at the cost of the man/woman on the street getting into fuel poverty.

They reckon if 10% of your income is used on fuel then you fall into the fuel poverty category. I am now looking at being on or over that 10% this winter so I am for the first time in my live in a state of poverty.
I am being serious when I say that wearing extra layers of clothing around the house is going to be the order for the coming months.

balto
05-Oct-08, 13:09
climate change is something that will affect everyone,, whether they are 1 or 100 so everyone should be behind a group like this.

percy toboggan
05-Oct-08, 13:18
Personally I think Caithness might benefit from a change of climate.
Every cloud has a silver lining. If much of the forthcoming changes are man-made/driven then nothing anyone in Caithness does about it will make a ha'peth of difference.
Good luck though.

Rheghead
05-Oct-08, 13:25
Personally I think Caithness might benefit from a change of climate.
Every cloud has a silver lining. If much of the forthcoming changes are man-made/driven then nothing anyone in Caithness does about it will make a ha'peth of difference.
Good luck though.

I am able to get my magnolia to flower for the first time this year and garden escape species are thriving on Drumhollistan. However, puffin and auk populations have been decimated by the lack of food which has been directly attributed to Global Warming.

So if you are sitting comfy in your house or garden then you might be forgiven that climate change is no bad thing.:roll:

But you are right, temperate regions of the world may see benefits in the short term, especially in terms of crop yields etc but countries in temperate regions are the biggest culprits in terms of climate change while those countries who are least able to deal with the problem are left to suffer the biggest consequences.

badger
05-Oct-08, 14:17
It is totally beyond me that the Govt. is prepared to spend billions on what they presumably think is an easy fix yet they don't do the obvious like changing building regs. so every new building is as near carbon neutral as possible. The technology has been available for years yet the legal changes are still in the future. We keep hearing about our inefficient housing stock and they keep allowing extravagant, inefficient building. Mad.

Rheghead
05-Oct-08, 14:24
It is totally beyond me that the Govt. is prepared to spend billions on what they presumably think is an easy fix yet they don't do the obvious like changing building regs. so every new building is as near carbon neutral as possible. The technology has been available for years yet the legal changes are still in the future. We keep hearing about our inefficient housing stock and they keep allowing extravagant, inefficient building. Mad.

Building regs have changed, there has been a change in the insulation U value of building walls and roofs, to so much so that even loghouses are sub standard in insulation terms.

badger
05-Oct-08, 17:42
Like everything else though - too little too late.

KittyMay
05-Oct-08, 21:26
CACC - perfect name.

wavy davy
05-Oct-08, 22:36
CACC - perfect name.

My thoughts precisely.

Rheghead
06-Oct-08, 00:27
CACC - perfect name.

I'm glad my sense of humour wasn't lost on you.;)