PDA

View Full Version : Credit crunch.

TRUCKER
05-Oct-08, 08:19
With the credit crunch happening a report says that charity shop sales are booming. Would any of the orgers quite happily go into charity shops or would there be a stigma about going into them. I would quite happily go into a charity shop looking for a bargain

riggerboy
05-Oct-08, 08:26
no problems for me on that front, nothing shameful about it, its kinda like people saying am no shoppin in lidels to much cheap s88888888

starry
05-Oct-08, 09:01
I didn't realise there still was any stigma about charity shops, I am so out of sync with the rest of the world ;)

teenybash
05-Oct-08, 09:47
No problems here in going into charity shops. I am lucky with some of the finds and many time have happily found bargains still with labels attached...:)

Anji
05-Oct-08, 11:38
Buying in charity shops is just another form of recycling. I can't see anything wrong with it at all.

Torvaig
05-Oct-08, 11:47
Don't think there is a stigma in Wick and Thurso; well, not much. Nothing wrong with recycling and I see that all age groups use them. Some of the shops sell young plants and plant pots as well clothes etc., and it is great to look through their books for something you will enjoy reading and I am still looking through the bric-a-brac to find something I've seen on the Antiques Roadshow and make a fortune!

They are great places to go to if you are looking for "retro" clothes and my last hat for a wedding came out of one and it only cost a fiver! It was really modern and cost over £50 new. They are also good for small gifts, old blankets, rugs etc., for the dog's basket. Ben has slept on Burberry rugs and babies' blankets!

They are also good for multi materials for patchwork etc., and the bedlinen, curtains and towels are very handy if you rent out property. You can also pick up things like window blinds, crockery and cutlery etc., which are very good quality and up to date as many people now chuck things out when redecorating and you can really bag a bargain!

I sometimes wonder at people advertising things for sale on here and are still doing so after several months. If you want rid and are not just looking for pocket money, give to the charity shops; they are always pleased to recycle......

Long live the charity shops! :lol:

golach
05-Oct-08, 11:53
You just have to watch such programmes as Flog It and that ilk and see the number of treasures found at Charity Shops and Car Boot sales. One man's junk is another man's Priceless Antique....Charity shops are a form of recycling IMHO.

Angela
05-Oct-08, 11:56
I love charity shops -always have! -and I'm lucky to have several really good ones within walking distance. :)

Recently I've noticed they've got a lot busier -more customers certainly, but also more and better quality items being donated, which has a knock-on effect of encouraging more customers through the door. A sort of virtuous circle!

More people are recycling things they no longer need rather than just throwing them away, and giving them to charity shops is a great way of recycling.

I don't see any stigma at all to it - if anything it's becoming quite a fashionable and savvy way of shopping.;)

joxville
05-Oct-08, 12:26
As an avid reader I use charity shops a lot to keep up my stock of books. I swap them with guys at work who also buy from charity shops and once we've all read them they get returned so the shops can keep earning.

rockchick
05-Oct-08, 13:02
No shame at all, especially for books and kitchen stuff. You never know what you're going to find...it's supporting a good cause...and keeps stuff out of our landfills for a little while longer. How can you lose?

percy toboggan
05-Oct-08, 13:04
Might this thread not be better headed 'Charity Shops'?
I opened it up expecting a debate on matters financial, in respec tof the growing global crisis, not whether I'd wear a woolly jumber from the Oxfam Shop.

balto
05-Oct-08, 13:07
i have been in the cancer shop once or twice in thurso as they have lovely gifts that are all brand new for xmas, going to go and have a look for a white hat for my new baby as my mum says they have people that knit for them, cant get one out of any local shops, although my mum ordered one for the baby of the internet i want to get another one, and you cant beat hand knited stuff.

Torvaig
05-Oct-08, 13:08
But my dear Percy, Tucker started this thread and it is about charity shops and if we would use them more with the Credit Crunch!:)

percy toboggan
05-Oct-08, 13:13
But my dear Percy, Tucker started this thread and it is about charity shops and if we would use them more with the Credit Crunch!:)

I know, and your response is honourable but I think my question a fair one. It matters not though of course...I was merely thinknig out loud. Like we all do from time to time.:D

Anyway whilst out shopping today my wife surveyed me and said 'you are bordering upon looking like a down and out' ! So maybe I'd best get out to some charity shops in search of some sartorial elegance at a cut price.(we spent six hundred quid on a washing machine and fridge/freezer!)

Torvaig
05-Oct-08, 13:29
Hope you find a lovely woolie jumper to keep you warm! ;) I'm glad your wife is going with you though; women have much better taste in clothing! Now I shall stand back and wait for the flak from all our sartorially dressed male orgers! :lol: Do let us know how you get on and a picture would be nice.....I like men who are well dressed.....;)

joxville
05-Oct-08, 14:05
Hope you find a lovely woolie jumper to keep you warm! ;) I'm glad your wife is going with you though; women have much better taste in clothing! Now I shall stand back and wait for the flak from all our sartorially dressed male orgers! :lol: Do let us know how you get on and a picture would be nice.....I like men who are well dressed.....;)

Nope, no flak from me Torvaig cos I agree with you. I would be shopping with females and they would suggest items to me-my response was always "I'm not wearing that". A few days later said item would be bought for me and I'd say, yeah it's not bad, not realising I had previously ruled it out. In short-I have no taste when it comes to clothes.

miranda
05-Oct-08, 15:23
these shops are great for books and jigsaws!! and the cancer shop good for little gifts !!! :lol:

cuddlepop
05-Oct-08, 16:00
They are brilliant not only do you get a bargain, a worth while charity gets a donation.

Have started doing my christmas shopping in my favourite charity shops and feel like its giving twice.:D

Torvaig
05-Oct-08, 16:46
Nope, no flak from me Torvaig cos I agree with you. I would be shopping with females and they would suggest items to me-my response was always "I'm not wearing that". A few days later said item would be bought for me and I'd say, yeah it's not bad, not realising I had previously ruled it out. In short-I have no taste when it comes to clothes.

I'm glad you realise we are always, no sorry, usually right in the end, Jox .....;)

teenybash
05-Oct-08, 16:52
these shops are great for books and jigsaws!! and the cancer shop good for little gifts !!! :lol:

I love the cancer shop gifts and jewellery for Chrissie presents.........:D