PDA

View Full Version : Div yea mind?

highlander
04-Oct-08, 22:39
Ok i dont know whats wrong with me tonight, i am wondering if i am going through a mid-life crisis, because all night i have been thinking of things we used to use or did years ago. Div yea mind when we used to have the public phones that you had the push button A or B. Div yea mind when you had to ask the operator to put you through for an international call, or when phoning abroad and new year you had to wait until you could get a connection as the lines were too busy. Div yea mind girls when all little girls had a set of baby dolls for pyjamas. Div yea mind getting bathed in the big belfast sink in the kitchen when you were a bairn. Div yea mind the wooden pulley in the kitchen to hang up the clothes to dry. Anyone else having a mid-life crisis? lol
Come on folks im sure there is lots of things we used to have or did that does not happen now. lol

footie chick
04-Oct-08, 22:50
Ok i dont know whats wrong with me tonight, i am wondering if i am going through a mid-life crisis, because all night i have been thinking of things we used to use or did years ago. Div yea mind when we used to have the public phones that you had the push button A or B. Div yea mind when you had to ask the operator to put you through for an international call, or when phoning abroad and new year you had to wait until you could get a connection as the lines were too busy. Div yea mind girls when all little girls had a set of baby dolls for pyjamas. Div yea mind getting bathed in the big belson sink in the kitchen when you were a bairn. Div yea mind the wooden pulley in the kitchen to hang up the clothes to dry. Anyone else having a mid-life crisis? lol
Come on folks im sure there is lots of things we used to have or did that does not happen now. lol

Sorry all I mind is the pulley in the kitchen and it's still there today :lol: I hope I'm not having a mid life crisis :~(

Angela
04-Oct-08, 22:59
All of these, highlander!

.... but was it not a Belfast sink? :confused For the washing board and green washing soap too of course!

Nothing like a good trip down memory lane for a nice nostalgic wallow -I'm loving these threads taking me back......... :)

highlander
04-Oct-08, 23:08
OOPS thanks for that Angela, dont know why i typed that when i knew it was a belfast sink. lol

Angela
04-Oct-08, 23:20
I only recently found out what its proper name was, highlander -we just called it 'the tub', and I'd to squeeze into it for the Sunday night bath! :eek:

Then we moved to a house with -wonder of wonders! - a bath, but showers were still completely unknown, and washing machines had to be dragged out and connected to the sink taps. They'd a wringer on the top and a pair of tongs to heave the washing out of the soapy depths...my granny gave hers away, saying it was all far too much trouble!

I had to make a pair of baby doll pj's in the sewing class at school - including hand smocking the top... :roll:

When I had my first baby I'd no washing machine -just a spin drier for nappies (terry ones of course) and a pulley to dry them on.

Some things have undoubtedly improved!

domino
04-Oct-08, 23:27
Mind having to stamp on the blankets in a tub before they went through the mangle

highlander
04-Oct-08, 23:29
Angela i forgot all about the tong's for taking the washing out of the twin-tub, i can only remember seeing my mum using the wash-board once and used a hugh bar of fairy soap.
One thing i do remember was this machine that was connected by hose to tap on sink, and you put potatoes into the machine, the potatoes were spun around and peeled and washed, must have been one of those things then stuck in cup-board and forgot about. lol

domino
04-Oct-08, 23:30
being sent to the Co-op for a "sole" loaf. In other words, as a good Weeker would say " a plain,as opposed to pan loaf" Methinks I am starting to show my age!!!

highlander
04-Oct-08, 23:40
Hecks Domino i do remember that too, "sole" or "pan" loaf, its odd how years ago it was just a cardboard box of messages that would last you all week, quarter pound of PG tips, and sometimes we would get a tin of cremola foam. lol

teenybash
04-Oct-08, 23:55
This Glasgow lassie remembers the tin bath in front of the fire.............definately a mid life thingy doodle when memories like that sneak up on you[lol]

Foxy
05-Oct-08, 00:52
The first washing machine i remember had a mangle on top, we used to fish the washing out with wooden tongs (which i still have in my house:eek:) then put it through the mangle and it dropped into a basket at the back of the machine. After that we had a twin tub, and no i'm not having a mid life crisis i'm to young. [lol]

balto
05-Oct-08, 13:19
Sorry all I mind is the pulley in the kitchen and it's still there today :lol: I hope I'm not having a mid life crisis :~(
i mind my nanny and granda having a pulley in their kitchen. I think i have a good amount of years left before i have a mid life crisis lol.[lol]

poppett
05-Oct-08, 14:04
Enjoying the trip down memory lane. The thing that sticks in my mind were the outside toilet block at my Granny`s tenement, where the door required a good bash before opening to evict the ferral cats! The midden which was no more that a shed into which everyone`s rubbish went and the bin men came with baskets on their backs and shovelled the rubbish into them and walked it out to the dustcart. I was regularly sent out to find granny`s tattie knife which she would wrap up with the tattie peelings and have them to the midden before she noticed the knife missing. In fact my claim to fame in meeting the famous was playing "shoppies" in the aforementioned "midden" with Midge Ure........... probably before he knew what Ultravox was!!

Outside toilets were still in use in Inverness in the 1970`s and on a trip to Hollywood, Birmingham UK in the late 1980`s was shocked to find the toilet at the cricket club was not just outside, it was the wooden bench seats over an open ditch kind of toilets.

Remember having hours of fun with the box the shopping was delivered in every Friday as a pre-school infant too.

helenwyler
05-Oct-08, 14:59
Poppett, you've reminded me of our toilets at primary school (mid 1960s). Wooden boards with a hole in the middle, with a bucket underneath. The rows of boys and girls toilets were separated by an access passageway in the middle so the buckets could be emptied. Sometimes it was accidentally left unlocked, and I remember a couple of the more curious boys getting the slipper for having a peek!!:lol:

Best of all though was visiting my Yorkshire grandma. She was a miner's wife and had a small stove fire in which she made the most fantastic Yorkshire puddings, eaten with treacle before the Sunday lunch, to fill us up so we wouldn't need so much meat. She was a bit of an old grouch, and used to tell me to "Get out t' bluddy road!" many times when I got in her way:eek: .

In winter, the bedrooms would be freezing, and you could watch your breath shiver and dance in front of you. I slept in a double bed with grandma, and when she'd got her corset off and slipped into her flanelette nightie, she'd put her teeth into a jar, settle down and lisp her way through tales about the horrors of when she was in domestic 'sarvice'. Such a hard life :mad:! They always ended with her comparing her life to mine and my parents, and sighing "Eeee, yer don't know yer born, lass!" Quite true, but it was just a bedtime story to me then.

highlander
05-Oct-08, 15:35
Helenwyler i had a good laugh when you said about your granny putting her teef in a jar at night, it reminded me when i was little i remember mum and dad sometimes would put thier teeth in steredent after a meal, as to sweel them out lol anyhow someone came to the door and mum got into a panic and shouted "dont answer that door yet my teeth are out" (she hated anyone to see her without her teeth) so dad ran got thier teeth and quickly handed them to her, but to her horror dad had given her his teeth, we all fell about laughing as dad had got such a glour and she could not say anything in front of the visitor.

Anne x
05-Oct-08, 16:11
I mind moving to our first house in the village from a tied estate house and we had our first proper Bathroom also mother had 2 sinks in the kitchen a big deep one covered by a board that doubled up as a working surface that sink was only used on wash days with the washboard and fairy soap and a pulley to boot
mother thought she was in the land of the living a new house with all mod cons no CH then or DG just frozen windows in winter and us all trying to get dressed in the mornings huddled round a stove
certainly changed days I was just remarking to another orger this morning how I felt like I had every appliance in the house going trying to catch up

Tighsonas4
05-Oct-08, 19:36
there was no water in e hoose but you took 2 pails and a hoop and went to the village pump for water
herself had a 5 gallon oil drum the ones with handles with the top cut off
the nappies were boiled in that over a primus stove
it later years couldnt understand thia go till the shop and get a half loaf
how times change tony

Buttercup
05-Oct-08, 20:09
Enjoying the trip down memory lane. The thing that sticks in my mind were the outside toilet block at my Granny`s tenement, where the door required a good bash before opening to evict the ferral cats! The midden which was no more that a shed into which everyone`s rubbish went and the bin men came with baskets on their backs and shovelled the rubbish into them and walked it out to the dustcart. I was regularly sent out to find granny`s tattie knife which she would wrap up with the tattie peelings and have them to the midden before she noticed the knife missing. In fact my claim to fame in meeting the famous was playing "shoppies" in the aforementioned "midden" with Midge Ure........... probably before he knew what Ultravox was!!

Outside toilets were still in use in Inverness in the 1970`s and on a trip to Hollywood, Birmingham UK in the late 1980`s was shocked to find the toilet at the cricket club was not just outside, it was the wooden bench seats over an open ditch kind of toilets.

Remember having hours of fun with the box the shopping was delivered in every Friday as a pre-school infant too.

During the 70's I lived in a house in the centre of Thurso that had an outside toilet.

teenybash
05-Oct-08, 20:31
Here's a memory..........the dreaded carpet beater.
Every friday the floor rugs, large, medium and small were lifted and slung over the washing line. Mother would then proceed to batter the joogins out of them and often she would be lost in a cloud of stour.....the only clue that she was still there in the shroud of dust was her shouting, YAHOO....which was the sound she made when sneezing. :Razz

JoeSoap
05-Oct-08, 20:38
Thanks everyone... it's been a while since I felt positively young! [lol]:p

Tighsonas4
05-Oct-08, 21:15
Thanks everyone... it's been a while since I felt positively young! [lol]:p
ok kid enjoy it while you may [lol] tony

Kenn
05-Oct-08, 22:16
Now I am not just feeling old but ancient!
Aladdin lamps that had to have the wicks trimmed and failing that a "Wee Willie Winkie," candle in a holder.
Big tin bath dragged in front of the fire on a winter night, mind to pour the cold water in first!
Chesnuts exploding on the grate.
Blue bags added to the white sheets when doing the laundry.
Boxes of apples and pears stored in straw to last the winter.
Eggs pickled in isenglass!
Preserves and all sorts of fruits in Kilner jars along the pantry shelf.

Anne x
05-Oct-08, 23:37
Here's a memory..........the dreaded carpet beater.
Every friday the floor rugs, large, medium and small were lifted and slung over the washing line. Mother would then proceed to batter the joogins out of them and often she would be lost in a cloud of stour.....the only clue that she was still there in the shroud of dust was her shouting, YAHOO....which was the sound she made when sneezing. :Razz

Oh gosh mind that we had a square in the living room surrounded by lino
until much later carpet all round but all the mats had to be taken out and swiped

Did anybody get lessons from there mothers the proper way to hing clothes on the washing line no higggeldy piggledley way
to this day I do it properly as I was shown all that years ago

Venture
05-Oct-08, 23:50
Folk used to take such a pride in how the outside of their houses looked. The front steps would be polished to perfection and I can still smell the Brasso from my Granny's polished door knob and letterbox. Can remember being in the kitchen having my dinner and the coalman would come in and fill up the coal cupboard.:lol:

Anne x
05-Oct-08, 23:58
Folk used to take such a pride in how the outside of their houses looked. The front steps would be polished to perfection and I can still smell the Brasso from my Granny's polished door knob and letterbox. Can remember being in the kitchen having my dinner and the coalman would come in and fill up the coal cupboard.:lol:

your so right Venture and all the tradesmen that came were held in such high esteem Coalman , Milkman ,Scaffy manny and Postie and all got a nip and tip at New Year now I dont know my postie