PDA

View Full Version : help needed asap

funky-dunky
04-Oct-08, 17:19
Thursday just passed i was due my money of 91.00 but by the time i went down to the bank to actually take my money out i was very dissapointed to fine out i could only take a tenner out as they took nearly forty pounds out of my bank for nothing (obs i used the rest one something else) but then today i went down to get money out to find they only took another 30 pound out so they took seventy pound from me in the last 2-3days, does anyone know off anything i can do about this.

my sister said something about something being on caithness.org before about you click on a link fill out the form and you can claim for the money back could onlyone help me on this please xxx

_Ju_
04-Oct-08, 17:32
If you mean that you are being charged for being overdrawn, then you can write a letter to the bank for unfair charges. Templates and info can be found here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges?gclid=CNaGmNL_jZYCFRaHMAodgxYqEA

or go to citizens advice ASAP.

riggerboy
04-Oct-08, 17:41
be very careful with claiming your charges back, first thing you need to do is open an account with another bank, as you will probably get told your account will be closed, but dont let this put you off, which bank are you with at the moment,

Tristan
04-Oct-08, 18:17
Thursday just passed i was due my money of 91.00 but by the time i went down to the bank to actually take my money out i was very dissapointed to fine out i could only take a tenner out as they took nearly forty pounds out of my bank for nothing (obs i used the rest one something else) but then today i went down to get money out to find they only took another 30 pound out so they took seventy pound from me in the last 2-3days, does anyone know off anything i can do about this.

my sister said something about something being on caithness.org before about you click on a link fill out the form and you can claim for the money back could onlyone help me on this please xxx

They can't take it out "for nothing". If it is a charge (or anything else) they have to tell you why. Did you try asking why they took it out?

Sapphire2803
04-Oct-08, 18:28
If the only money going into your account is benefit payments, then you can contact them to ask for it back and stop them from taking it automatically in future.

Give me a minute to get my brain in gear and I'll find you some details...

funky-dunky
04-Oct-08, 18:50
They can't take it out "for nothing". If it is a charge (or anything else) they have to tell you why. Did you try asking why they took it out?

yeah i phoned up yesterday and they told me as ebay tryed take 6.11pence out my bank on 30th and it bounced then i was charged for it they then took my money out on thursday (40pound last thursday) and there was a further charge of 28 pound to be taking off next month but they took 27 pound off me today and i dont know why, i need to get a mini statement on monday then i will be going into my bank to ask about this but dont know how further i can go.

funky-dunky
04-Oct-08, 18:51
If the only money going into your account is benefit payments, then you can contact them to ask for it back and stop them from taking it automatically in future.

Give me a minute to get my brain in gear and I'll find you some details...

hiya yeah it is benefits i get, but r ead the link i just posted aswell as this one x

Sapphire2803
04-Oct-08, 19:03
Here ya go...

As most people will now be aware, in July 2007 the Office of Fair Trading agreed with seven major high street banks to a test case to determine the legality of Bank Charges (http://www.debthelpexpert.org/debt/reclaiming-money/reclaim-bank-charges-while-on-benefit.html). This effectively has put all claims on hold until the case is decided. However, there is an Act of Parliament which over-rides this if you are in receipt of any of the following benefits.

Income Support
Tax Credits
Child Benefit
Job seekers allowance
Incapacity benefit
Disability living allowance
Attendance Allowance
CSA payments
Other DWP payments.

These benefits are granted to stop hardship and are designed to meet basic day to day needs, and are protected under the Social Security Administration Act 1992 sub section 187. This stipulates that the bank can not apply any charges to money received as benefit, and any such charges are unlawful and therefore disallowed.
If you live north of the border you also have the weight of a successful test case won against a bank (Woods v Royal Bank of Scotland).
So if you have been charged by your bank now is the time to fight back!
The banks will have to action your claim as it is by order of a higher authority, namely an Act of Parliament and not by the Statute of Limitations Act which is being cited in the current bank charges debate and test case. You will need to prove that the funds received in to your account are benefit payments, but your bank statement will be proof enough as the payments will be listed as such. Use the online letter generator (http://www.debthelpexpert.org/debt/reclaiming-money/reclaim-bank-charges-while-on-benefit.html#form) below or download (Letter for Scotland (http://www.debthelpexpert.org/public_ftp/bank_charges_benefit_scot.rtf) or Letter for Rest of UK (http://www.debthelpexpert.org/public_ftp/bank_charges_benefit_eng.rtf)) in RTF format to start your claim. Good Luck!

horseman
05-Oct-08, 04:14
Here ya go...

That Sapphire-presents as a thundering good water tight defence for funk's to use in this situation. Hope it has amazing success an mayb'e generate some recompence for their illegal sequestration.;) (how's that for this time of day) ok so it is only 11.00 pm where I am -but it is a saturday pm:lol: hope no one is about with a camera-apologies for high jacking your thread funk's -all strength to your arm:D

starry
05-Oct-08, 07:30
Let us know how you get on when you go in tomorrow Funky.

Banks really hack me off with their charges.

If you have any problems I have the name and number of someone who can help.

catran
05-Oct-08, 20:50
I am most amazed that one who is needy can go on Ebay to purchase goods and incur bank charges . Surely if one needed benefits in the first place to keep them , there would not be enough left to go on the computer and internet. It would appear that us hard working people who pay taxes ect are again the losers should they inadvertently overspend. I think I have heard it all now that the bank cannot touch benefits absolutely ridiculous to say the least.

skinnydog
05-Oct-08, 21:02
Don't know if we have the full story on here but certainly the banks are rapid in whipping money off people and not so keen to admit mistakes but better money management would have possibly helped.

starry
05-Oct-08, 21:18
I am most amazed that one who is needy can go on Ebay to purchase goods and incur bank charges . Surely if one needed benefits in the first place to keep them , there would not be enough left to go on the computer and internet. It would appear that us hard working people who pay taxes ect are again the losers should they inadvertently overspend. I think I have heard it all now that the bank cannot touch benefits absolutely ridiculous to say the least.

You are making assumptions, you don't know that the poster wasn't using a friends computer.
And ebay is a great way of keeping costs down, why make such digs at somebody for that.
Especially when the person is asking for help.

I don't understand the point of your post other than to be nasty.

JoeSoap
05-Oct-08, 21:34
I am most amazed that one who is needy can go on Ebay to purchase goods and incur bank charges . Surely if one needed benefits in the first place to keep them , there would not be enough left to go on the computer and internet.
The only thing that amazes me is that you would be so quick to kick somebody in the teeth based on so few facts and so many assumptions.

It would appear that us hard working people who pay taxes ect are again the losers should they inadvertently overspend.
We probably have vastly differing opinions of the welfare state... to my mind we're all the better off for it. Should I ever need to lean on it, I'm glad it's there... in the mean time, I'm happy to pay what's needed for those who need a little support now.

I think I have heard it all now that the bank cannot touch benefits absolutely ridiculous to say the least.
You prefer the alternative; that the banks should be allowed to take £480 each year of your taxes as an 'administration fee' for sending a dozen letters?

It's a nasty situation... I've been stuck in it myself. You have just enough to see you through each month and then you make a mistake; you forget about a bill or a payment and wham! You're overdrawn. The next month you think you've done better and you make it to the 31st with a very little to spare. Wham! £40 taken out by the bank as a charge for going overdrawn . So you tighten your belt as far as it will go and you make back the £40 you're now missing. The end of the month comes around again. Wham! Another £40 for going overdrawn... and you only went overdrawn because of the bank charges the month before.

If you're living on the edge already that £40 charge every month will always take you overdrawn and will always incur another £40 charge. It's a vicious, vicious circle and it's incredibly hard to get out of once you're in.

So no, I really don't think that stopping the banks from perpetuating this is something we should object to.

catran
05-Oct-08, 22:09
sorry if I was misunderstood. I know someone who was really ill and off work for a year who incurred crippling bank charges and they certainly did not get off with it as they were employed although on half pay by that stage.I have had the good fortune of working always and have had good health so no offence to them on benefits. Who knows what is around the corner, just cannot understand how the bank operates that's all. It would appear that my friend should have had their charges waived due to the sickness benefit.

Torvaig
06-Oct-08, 00:34
"If you're living on the edge already that £40 charge every month will always take you overdrawn and will always incur another £40 charge. It's a vicious, vicious circle and it's incredibly hard to get out of once you're in."

It is always worth talking to someone in the bank if you do get caught up in the vicious circle; some are quite human and will refund the charges to get you back on track.

binbob
06-Oct-08, 09:30

well said and i so do agree withu...

starry
06-Oct-08, 09:49
I think if there is to be a debate on benefits then it would only be good manners to start another thread.
I can't see how people chipping in on what they feel is appropriate for people is helpful in the least.

justine
06-Oct-08, 09:54
I think if there is to be a debate on benefits then it would only be good manners to start another thread.
I can't see how people chipping in on what they feel is appropriate for people is helpful in the least.

Welcome to the org. Its the favourite subject for an ear bashing.:eek:

To me it sounds like funky should go see the bank and try and sort this out.The Banks are handy at taking monies from people on charges and dont do anything to help them out.

Good luck funkydunky, hope you get sorted out soon.

starry
06-Oct-08, 10:02
Thanks Justine :)
I have been around a while I just don't post much x

Venture
06-Oct-08, 10:30
yeah i phoned up yesterday and they told me as ebay tryed take 6.11pence out my bank on 30th and it bounced then i was charged for it they then took my money out on thursday (40pound last thursday) and there was a further charge of 28 pound to be taking off next month but they took 27 pound off me today and i dont know why, i need to get a mini statement on monday then i will be going into my bank to ask about this but dont know how further i can go.

If you are an ebay customer then you must have signed up for payments for items bought to be taken from your bank account. This means you must have funds available in your account if you buy something. You obviously have not had sufficient funds in the account when ebay called for the money hence the reason for the charges. It is your responsibility to check your account. You have set up the instruction for ebay so you are responsible for the outcome if there are no funds available. If its the case that ebay tried to take the money out of your account without your permission then I would suggest you get on to them immediatley. If you have incurred charges due to a mistake then you should have no problem getting a refund from the Bank. If you bought something knowing that you had no money in your account, then you are liable for any charges whether you are on benefits or not.

Phill
06-Oct-08, 10:30
well said and i so do agree withu...

Calm down!

Catran & binbob you might have made the wrong assumptions, ebay fees are generally for selling items. funky may have been selling off the family heirlooms to pay the bank charges.
When buying things off ebay there are a number of payment methods and these go to the seller not ebay.

Additionally I do not think that it is ridiculous for banks not to be able to touch benefits by way of charges. I along with many people pay a fair chunk of my hard earned in taxes which is then paid out to less fortunate people for whatever reason and this money (my money, our money) should not be taken by banks so quickley and easily in this manner form the people who need this money.

funky, if you haven't already, take what Sapphire has posted to the bank and speak to them.
Let us know which bank this is.

Many years I was banking with RBS and due to an employer/BACS screw up my wages didn't arrive on the friday as they should have. I was unaware of this and had standing orders and direct debits etc. to go out, some of these did and emptied my account then a cheque was presented.
The cheque would have taken my accout overdrawn by less than £7 however RBS bounced the cheque and charged me instantly £25 for doing so, this took me £13 O/D so they again charged me instantly another £25 fee which put my A/C O/D by £38 plus interest. This was clearly a money making scam by the bank, a fairer option would have been to pay the cheque and charge interest on the O/D amount.

I don't beleive their methods have changed much!

However funky you might need to pay a bit more attention to your finances as you may have this happening again and again, I know it isn't easy when you need every penny your getting but like others have said it can become a crippling vicious circle with the banks and their happy slappy charges.

Hope they see the light and refund those charges.

Torvaig
06-Oct-08, 10:56
The problem with banking is that it is all done with computers and they are set up to implement the correct procedures. Long gone are the days when bank staff knew most of their customers and when someone was about to go overdrawn unintentionally would phone them up and let them know so that they could transfer funds from another account or pay in cash to cover the cheques being presented.

However, in todays financial markets, it suits the banks to work by computer rules and they make a fortune out of it. That said, it is up to individuals to keep a watch on their finances especially if they don't have a substantial income, be it from any source.

We are responsible for our own finances but if something goes wrong there are still some humans in banks who will lend a sympathetic ear and refund those charges which accumulate alarmingly.

To anyone caught up in this situation, speak to your bank immediately and work towards a solution. To anyone on limited funds, be responsible, keep an eye on all your expenditure and ditch the unnecessary ones.

Tristan
06-Oct-08, 13:12
One would hope that if your account is in good standing and an error in money transfer occurs that a good bank would refund the charges.
I had that happen when I paid my visa, the account says to leave 3 days I left 5 and it still went in late. However they did refund the fees immediately.
(As to why a transfer that should be instantaneous takes 3 -5 days is another question best left for another thread.)

Sapphire2803
06-Oct-08, 14:09
Ok, first of all... As somebody already said, if it was eBay fees then that would be for selling something on there and the fees do go out quite a while afterwards, so I can see how it would be easy to forget. If the OP was buying something on eBay and misjudged how much was in her account then it still doesn't mean she needs to be attacked for it. Mistakes happen, everyone makes them. God knows, I've made millions.

Just because someone lives on benefits it doesn't mean they should live on bread and water and never buy anything. The OP has children too, so who's to say she wasn't just trying to save money by buying them something they needed on eBay.

What I'm getting at is that yet again someone is being attacked on here when all they asked for was help.

If someone was sat in Bridge street on fire and shouting for help, I truly believe that there are people round here who rather than put out the flames would stand there telling the person how stupid they were for being on fire in the first place.

Funky Dunky, my advice to you would be to close the thread to keep the miseries out. Go and speak to the folks at the bank and if they don't help then follow my original answer. If you get stuck pm me.

Good luck :)

Liz
06-Oct-08, 14:20
Totally agree with you Sapphire2803.

Some folk are far too quick to judge!

I receive benefits due to chronic illness so does that mean I shouldn't have a computer and shouldn't shop on the net?!!!!:roll: Actually I shop on the net to save money but also for convenience.

Hope you get things sorted out funky-dunky.

JoeSoap
06-Oct-08, 14:54
If someone was sat in Bridge street on fire and shouting for help, I truly believe that there are people round here who rather than put out the flames would stand there telling the person how stupid they were for being on fire in the first place.
Either that or they'd be standing filming the whole thing (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=442159#post442159)... [disgust]

I feel a tad guilty now because for all my bluster earlier I didn't actually offer funky-dunky any advice.

I think the best advice has already been given (speak to the bank ASAP) but if that doesn't work or if this is just one symptom in a bigger, more worrying situation I'd suggest you make an appointment to see somebody at CAS (http://www.cas.org.uk/WebOfficeDetails.aspx?id=16&letter=T) - they may be able to give you advice on options most of us don't know exist.

Good luck Funky. :)

poppett
06-Oct-08, 15:23
Similar happened to a friend last week and it was sorted out with a phone call and the bank charges refunded.

Last week I had a direct debit set up to the account which I didn`t authorise and that was due to a call centre transposing an account number. That took two calls to sort out and luckily it had not incurred charges by overdrawing on the account, but only because another direct debit was late being taken.

I take mini-statements regularly and am on top of even a penny going astray.

Hope problem is sorted soon.

binbob
06-Oct-08, 16:54
Calm down!

Catran & binbob you might have made the wrong assumptions, ebay fees are generally for selling items. funky may have been selling off the family heirlooms to pay the bank charges.
When buying things off ebay there are a number of payment methods and these go to the seller not ebay.

Additionally I do not think that it is ridiculous for banks not to be able to touch benefits by way of charges. I along with many people pay a fair chunk of my hard earned in taxes which is then paid out to less fortunate people for whatever reason and this money (my money, our money) should not be taken by banks so quickley and easily in this manner form the people who need this money.

funky, if you haven't already, take what Sapphire has posted to the bank and speak to them.
Let us know which bank this is.

Many years I was banking with RBS and due to an employer/BACS screw up my wages didn't arrive on the friday as they should have. I was unaware of this and had standing orders and direct debits etc. to go out, some of these did and emptied my account then a cheque was presented.
The cheque would have taken my accout overdrawn by less than £7 however RBS bounced the cheque and charged me instantly £25 for doing so, this took me £13 O/D so they again charged me instantly another £25 fee which put my A/C O/D by £38 plus interest. This was clearly a money making scam by the bank, a fairer option would have been to pay the cheque and charge interest on the O/D amount.

I don't beleive their methods have changed much!

However funky you might need to pay a bit more attention to your finances as you may have this happening again and again, I know it isn't easy when you need every penny your getting but like others have said it can become a crippling vicious circle with the banks and their happy slappy charges.

Hope they see the light and refund those charges.

iwas not specifically getting at funky dunky.i do feel ,though that if someone bares their soul here...look out!
funky dunky should breally have got in touch with her bank.
i also think that wherever one s income comes from ,it is their right to spend as they wish.i also think that a lot of folk do get their prioroties wrong,,,but that is up to them,we are very fortunate in the uk...i sometimes think folk forget that.

rockchick
06-Oct-08, 22:03
Glass houses...stones thrown! Who among us have never been caught out by forgotten expenses?

The worst for me was when I got on-line to pay my Visa bill on the last day before it was due (well, before the 4-day turnaround interest-suck-up-period) and the website was down...and stayed down, until 3pm, which is when the next-day posting started. So I was down about £25 in interest charges for the month of interest, due to THEIR website. Now THAT's a pisser.

Tristan
06-Oct-08, 22:18
Glass houses...stones thrown! Who among us have never been caught out by forgotten expenses?

The worst for me was when I got on-line to pay my Visa bill on the last day before it was due (well, before the 4-day turnaround interest-suck-up-period) and the website was down...and stayed down, until 3pm, which is when the next-day posting started. So I was down about £25 in interest charges for the month of interest, due to THEIR website. Now THAT's a pisser.

You should contact your bank - they will probably refund the charges, especially considering they will have a record of the site being down.

liz19
28-Apr-09, 20:19

Couldn't believe what i was reading here - surely ebay is somewhere that most people go to either sell goods to make some money or to buy stuff at a lesser price - agree with the point that it could also of been someone elses pc that was being used there is also the fact that u can actually go to the library for free to use the internet?! Sometimes it's too easy to judge without thinking could be someone who has a disability and cannot leave the house where a pc would be one of their lifelines.....seems the winners here could perhaps be the banks who are overcharging people who go o/d?!

S&LHEN
28-Apr-09, 21:50
Totally agree Sapphire well done some people P me right off with how judgemental they are about people on benefits when they know nothing ive been there and its not nice, People think its the great life being on benefits well i ll tell you something its not its no fun you have limited money to struggle with and when you try getting a job after being on benefits, judgmental people look down on you like your scum its sad.:~(
The banks only look after you if your loaded and thats fact been there done that!! Now I better stop as I have strong views on this and might end up saying something i ll regret.:~(

Ok, first of all... As somebody already said, if it was eBay fees then that would be for selling something on there and the fees do go out quite a while afterwards, so I can see how it would be easy to forget. If the OP was buying something on eBay and misjudged how much was in her account then it still doesn't mean she needs to be attacked for it. Mistakes happen, everyone makes them. God knows, I've made millions.

Just because someone lives on benefits it doesn't mean they should live on bread and water and never buy anything. The OP has children too, so who's to say she wasn't just trying to save money by buying them something they needed on eBay.

What I'm getting at is that yet again someone is being attacked on here when all they asked for was help.

Funky Dunky, my advice to you would be to close the thread to keep the miseries out. Go and speak to the folks at the bank and if they don't help then follow my original answer. If you get stuck pm me.

Good luck :)

horseman
28-Apr-09, 23:46
Totaly agree with you liz.My youngest daughter is on max.disability benefits,she will come along to our house to use the pc to put a lot of her affairs in order!For anyone to denigrate her for having access to a pc without knowing her situation comes across as total crap! No need to say any more!