PDA

View Full Version : Looking for bain,mowat and afew others

robynaus
12-Jan-06, 13:14
Not getting much info from the geaneology forum so thought I would try here

Looking for information about my g-father's family

He was James Bain son of William Bain(Parents James and Charlotte Cormack???) and Mary Ann Mowat, born in Keiss. He migrated to Oz before 1915 when he married my grandmother, Mary Aileen McGovern in Sydney. Siblings Alexander Mowat bain (married Kate Henderson from Salton St Wick in Edinburgh 1917 They had 3 children and I met Eric when I was a Child and he was en-route to NZ where he married a Betty Fleming). Catherine Bain no info. Charlotte Cormack Bain on info. Mary Ann Bain. William drowned at sea and I have a poem "Ellergy on the Keiss Boat Disaster" which my g-mother said was about my g-father's father drowning.Have lots of photos and postcards but no idea who they are. Any info gratefully received There must be more of us out there somewhere? Robyn Trim Nee Bain

marionq
12-Jan-06, 14:29
You should be able to get birth and marriage details from Scotlandspeople for all of those born in Scotland at a modest cost and may also get some details for free from the Mormon website on family history (Church of the Latter Day Saints). When you get a look at either of those they usually show on them the parents of the people concerned and the place they were living in at the time which will then take you back to the previous generation.

Genealogy inevitably involves laying out a bit of money for info and a fair bit of time and effort to pursue all the available databases.

robynaus
12-Jan-06, 23:51
Thanks Marionq I've done that and got loads of info but I'm hoping there is someone living out there who may know the people in the photos. Thought the costs at Scotlandspeople were very reasonable. Must find out how to upload some of these photos to somewhere on this site. It's a great site and I certainly got more people looking here

north_skye
25-Jan-06, 12:16
Your best bet on this would to contact Magnus or David Bain ,
Magnus still lives in Keiss David in Wick

I don't have a numebr for them but i'm sure they'll be in the phone book ,

there can't be to many M Bain's in Keiss.

robynaus
26-Jan-06, 13:57
Thank you north-skye. got the phone nos and addresses from bt might have to compose a letter and perhaps send some copies of some photos I've got. regards robyn trim ms bain

Dianne
19-Sep-06, 01:39
Hi eco21...
Looking for my ancestor Christina Sutherland came across a Bain Household 1861 FreeCen.
Bain William Head W U 76 House Proprietor Wick, Caithness
Bain Alexander Son U M 39 Fishcurer Wick Caithness
Bain Jane Dau U F 32 Merchantess Wick Caithness
Bain James Son U M 22 Fishcurer Wick Caithness
Bain Elizabeth Dau - F 18 Student (orig.
Scholar) Wick Caithness
Sutherland Christina Servnt U 22 Domestic Serv. Dunbeath Caithness.
Hope there's a connection here for you.
Cheers, Dianne:D

robynaus
19-Sep-06, 02:03
Hi Dianne Thank you I don't think they are actually mine but probably related there are a lot of Bains out there luv robyn

robynaus
19-Sep-06, 02:10
Hi Dianne Thank you I don't think they are actually mine but probably related there are a lot of Bains out there luv robyn
Hi dianne again I tried to edit and it didn't go right.
I note you are in NZ are you in the Otago region? Eric, Son of my Alexander and Kate (Henderson) Bain went to NZ in abt 1953. He married Betty and I know had at least one child. Contact lost when my Grandmother died. luv robyn

Dianne
20-Sep-06, 06:46
Hi again Robyn,
Will keep my eyes open for your Eric Bain & his wife Betty altho' I live in Canterbury not Otago . Our little country Post Office should have an Otago telephone Directory so will have a looksee next time I go.:cool:
Cheers, Di

robynaus
12-Oct-06, 09:55
Just received from Caithness via England some photos of Jean Cormack (ms Bain) wife of Alexander Cormack and her 3 sons Alexander Dan, James and William. And also Catherine Swanson and grandaughterElizabeth Alice Rugg Mowat daughter of Margaret mowatt. Margaret was sister to Mary Ann Mowat My G-Grandmother. Third photo is of Margaret Mowat and Jean Henderson sorry no dates or other infomation but wonder if she could be related to Kate Henderson (Eric Henderson father and mother Catherine ms Sinclair) who married Alexander Mowat Bain in Edinburgh in 1917. Kate's home address given as 6 Salton St Wick.
It's so exciting when something arrives as we grew up with no cousins and only 1 uncle and there was a large family out there. Gives me goose-bumps!!!

Val
19-Oct-06, 20:58
Hi Robyn,

Glad those photos had the same effect on you as they did on me:) .
I'm still not sure about the birthdate of Alexander Dan Cormack, but Wm. Cormack(1903) and James Cormack(1905) seem pretty certain.
If anyone can add to this that would be wonderful.

Regards, Val.

Tricia
20-Oct-06, 22:40
Charlotte Cormack m to James Bain is my 2nd cousin 3R. via her mother Helen Budge m William Cormack.
I have many Budge and Cormack links
also have Cormack in my direct line in Watten and Wick.
Tricia

robynaus
21-Oct-06, 00:38
Charlotte Cormack m to James Bain is my 2nd cousin 3R. via her mother Helen Budge m William Cormack.
I have many Budge and Cormack links
also have Cormack in my direct line in Watten and Wick.
Tricia
Hi Tricia
I have James and Charlotte marriage date as 24th Feb 1854 and William born abt 1858 and nothing else. It becomes very confusing after that as family has a James, William etc.
Any information is gratefully received by both Val and I.
Thank you for replying
robyn