PDA

View Full Version : Sparrow Hawk

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-08, 08:55
The wife was just at the sink washing up after breakfast and called me full of excitment.:eek:
A Sparrow Hawk was having a starling breakfast on the lawn about twenty feet from the house.
I turned the lights out and got my camara but it kept fireing the flash so I got a good photo of the inside of a steamy window.:mad:
I did get him ( or her ) on video then the battery ran out.
I will see if I can upload a video clip.:confused

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-08, 10:14
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=SparrowHawk04-10-08.flv

Not sure if this will work as I have not done a video clip before.

Sandra_B
04-Oct-08, 10:19
Yes, it works perfectly Kevin.

I love watching the hawks in the fields near our house but I do feel a bit sorry for their prey.

Anji
04-Oct-08, 16:40
Well done, Kevin. Excellent video.
Any idea what it was tucking into?

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-08, 17:36
Well done, Kevin. Excellent video.
Any idea what it was tucking into?

Thank you Anji
At first we thought it was a starling as we have many of them visiting our bird table ,but a closer inspection of the crime scene reveals feathers off a sparrow.Sad in a way but it was a treat to see such a stealth bird in our garden doing what it does best as we live in a built up area.

Anji
04-Oct-08, 18:10
Poor sparrow, but that's Nature. I don't suppose it's any worse than us eating meat.

reddevil
30-Nov-08, 19:06
[evil]
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=SparrowHawk04-10-08.flv

Not sure if this will work as I have not done a video clip before.
got the tom jones voice but no video was there suppose to be a vid.[evil]

Kevin Milkins
30-Nov-08, 20:20
[evil]
got the tom jones voice but no video was there suppose to be a vid.[evil]

Hi reddevil and welcome to the org.
I just clicked on the link of your post and it played the video clip as well so the answear is ,"I don't know".lol

WeeBurd
04-Dec-08, 22:59
I was watching a large group of Goldfinches squabling in the garden this morning... well, I was actually drawn to them by the racket they were making, but anyway... so they were flitting about and making a noise, when they suddenly scarpered, right out of the blue.

I peeked out, but saw nothing menacing so was in the process of stepping away from the window when, plonk, a Sparrowhawk flew in and planted himself right down on my wee tree, in between the plethora of feeders!

He stayed longer enough for me to slowly reach out for the camera, take it out of it's case, take the cap off, turn it on.... then a ruddy scorrie flew over creating a scene, and the Sparrowhawk took off before I could get a pic [disgust]. Needless to say, MrBurd is teasing by refusing to believe my sighting as I have no evidence, but I know my fellow Orgers will, hahaha! Trust me, I have the camera set up on the tripod and poised at the window, just in case Mr Sparrowhawk ventures back! :lol:

Dorrie
04-Dec-08, 23:16
Well caught! I love the advent of digital cameras and videos! It makes sharing things like this so easy. :)