PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch this.

balto
03-Oct-08, 20:33
just watch Esther Vs the pc brigade, on itv at 8.00, it demonstrated how wary people are of approaching a child that was lost, they placed 2 children at different times in a shopping centre, and got them to act upset and look like they were lost, the amount of people that walked passed the children without helping them, it just goes to show how worried folk are of helping incase they are accused of any wrong doing, but could you really leave a child that so obviously was lost, i know i couldnt.

ciderally
03-Oct-08, 21:10
yea just watched this ....just goes to show how society has all gone to pot...

TBH
03-Oct-08, 21:12
just watch Esther Vs the pc brigade, on itv at 8.00, it demonstrated how wary people are of approaching a child that was lost, they placed 2 children at different times in a shopping centre, and got them to act upset and look like they were lost, the amount of people that walked passed the children without helping them, it just goes to show how worried folk are of helping incase they are accused of any wrong doing, but could you really leave a child that so obviously was lost, i know i couldnt.How can we know they were worried about themselves, maybe they just didn't care.

balto
03-Oct-08, 21:15
How can we know they were worried about themselves, maybe they just didn't care.
think mayby there would have been the odd person that didnt care but the majority of people i think would have been worried.

TBH
03-Oct-08, 21:18
think mayby there would have been the odd person that didnt care but the majority of people i think would have been worried.
I can only comment on what you are saying as I didn't see the program. Did people look concerned as they passed the kids by, did they have a wee look and keep on walking or did they just pass them as if they weren't there?

TRUCKER
03-Oct-08, 21:19
Everybody might care but dont want to put themselves in a situation where they could get accused of doing something wrong.it is the way society has gone.

balto
03-Oct-08, 21:20
I can only comment on what you are saying as I didn't see the program. Did people look concerned as they passed the kids by, did they have a wee look and keep on walking or did they just pass them as if they weren't there?
there was some that looked at the children,but then the re were some that walked round the child, think it was over 430 people that walked past the boy before someone stopped to help, just goes to show what sort of society we live in now.

balto
03-Oct-08, 21:21
Everybody might care but dont want to put themselves in a situation where they could get accused of doing something wrong.it is the way society has gone.aye totally agree with you, it is a sad world we live in now.

Gizmo
03-Oct-08, 21:41
It's shocking that we now live in a society like this, where every single one of us is thought of as a potential child abuser, it's just ridiculous.
The one thing that really had me shaking my head in disbelief was the story about how the school would not remove a splinter from a childs finger as it was considered a 'Surgically invasive procedure'....this country has truly gone completely and utterly bonkers.

balto
03-Oct-08, 21:43
It's shocking that we now live in a society like this, where every single one of us is thought of as a potential child abuser, it's just ridiculous.
The one thing that really had me shaking my head in disbelief was the story about how the school would not remove a splinter from a childs finger as it was considered a 'Surgically invasive procedure'....this country has truly gone completely and utterly bonkers.
aye wasnt that shocking, aswell, mind you when it comes to getting school photos done they arent even allowed to help kids with their hair.

TBH
03-Oct-08, 21:45
there was some that looked at the children,but then the re were some that walked round the child, think it was over 430 people that walked past the boy before someone stopped to help, just goes to show what sort of society we live in now.By that I would be inclined to think it was a case that people didn't give a damn, not that they were afraid of being accused of some kind of impropriety.

JAWS
03-Oct-08, 22:36
It's shocking that we now live in a society like this, where every single one of us is thought of as a potential child abuser, it's just ridiculous. There as been a concerted effort from certian quarter to create a state of mind where everybody is under suspicion of being guilty until such time as they are either declared innocent or can prove themselves to be innocent of any potential wrongdoing.

If a teacher becomes the subject of a malicious complaint by a child, or by anybody for that matter, the fact that they are shown to be completely innocent makes no difference. A record of that complaint will remain on their record until such time as they retire.
I am not certain but I would assume that even after they retire should they take up any voluntary work which would require a check on such matters then that record would still turn up.

There are trials being carried out in certain areas where any member of the public can check to see if any people they know may possibly be suspect where children are concerned.
If you live in one of those areas and somebody took it into their head to check up on you then you would never know what they had done or what is probably worse, what they have been told. You would have no way of knowing if there had been a mistake and you had become confused with another person who had such a record.

One woman did fall foul of a similar situation when a check was made over her doing voluntary work. She is a respectable middle aged woman without a stain on her character.
A mistake was made and she was described as a violent drug user, a shoplifter and had convictions for assaulting the police.
After a long, drawn out struggle she eventually convinced the people who had passed the information of their mistake.
Would they supply the corrected information? Not on your life. They pointed out that there could be the possibility that there was something else which they were unaware of and until such time as all the possibilities had been excluded they would not alter their information.

But if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear. All you have to do is prove that there has never been a possibility that you have ever committed any kind of crime.
Anybody want to tell me that they can account for every single move they have made in the whole of their life and absolutely "prove" they have never, ever done anything wrong. And I did say prove.

With those sorts of attitudes prevailing in society is it any wonder most people avoid having any contact with children they do not know.
I may take that risk here in Caithness when it came to a distressed child but I most certainly would avoid doing it in a large urban area at all costs. It would be far to much of a risk of somebody with an over active imagination having an hysterical reaction and the possible dangers when that happens are just not worth the risk.
Would I feel any guilt or would my conscience be pricked even in the slightest? Not a chance, that is the climate of suspicion demanded by much of society in this day and age and the responsibilities for the consequences are theirs and theirs alone.

carasmam
03-Oct-08, 22:57
I think most people walking by didn't care, or there would have been more reports to the security or shopping centre manager.
So sad too that children are left to get sunburnt rather than be able to put suncream on them and not get a cuddle when they fall over in the playground :~(

Bad Manners
04-Oct-08, 11:12
It is very sad but true that people do live more insular lifes and do not interact with people they dont know. We have seen this so many times if someone takes a fall so many people look the other way.if a car breaks down people just drive on bye not thinking they could help all this to the point where people now comment on the odd occasion that someone does help it think the days of the good samaritan are very rare. It is a shame that we have as a society come to the point where no one is willing to help a stranger.