PDA

View Full Version : Ring Pull Cans

Anne x
03-Oct-08, 13:16
Decided to have some Beans & Toast for lunch after braving the elements
popped couple bits of bread in toaster 10 mins later still trying to open the tin of Beans had in the end to resort to tin opener is it just me with those ring pull things ? they always beat me
I feel sorry for the folk who have Athritis or similar conditions I dont know how they manage

muffin
03-Oct-08, 13:34
It's the childproof bottles which get me going,I can push down or turn but not both at the same time.
Muffin

Bad Manners
03-Oct-08, 14:04
There is a aid that is available to assist opening ring pull cans .
They are in the lakeland shop and available from dissability aid places on the internet it is just like a tiny plastic crow bar thing that hooks on to the ring and you just lever it back. they make a huge difference to those that cant open the cans or open them and spill half the contents in the process.

Anji
03-Oct-08, 16:11
I put the handle of a teaspoon through the ring, and use that to open it.

Venture
03-Oct-08, 16:26
They even have them on tins of corned beef now instead of the usual key.

Sandra_B
03-Oct-08, 16:29
The beans lids are the worst! I can never get them to open more than halfway.

Can't imagine the corned beef tins are easier to open with a ring pull either. I have a scar on my finger from trying to open a corned beef tin years ago.

wifie
03-Oct-08, 16:52
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/ring+can+opener/product/4418

Here you are Anne x this is what you need!
Venture surely they are better than those key things on the corned beef tins - bloomin lethal they were!

MadPict
03-Oct-08, 17:14
Meh, easy - remember the old Spam cans? The little metal tab you had to insert through the eye in the 'key', then spend 30 minutes trying to roll the resulting metal around the key? Now that was frustrating!!!!

Venture
03-Oct-08, 17:24
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/ring+can+opener/product/4418

Here you are Anne x this is what you need!
Venture surely they are better than those key things on the corned beef tins - bloomin lethal they were!

Definitely better than the keys. I don't know how many times I've cut myself trying to open the tin with the key. I've nothing against the ring pulls. Only thing is I always seem to pull too hard and I'm left with the ring in my hand and an unopened tin. Usually just resort to the tin opener.:lol:

EDDIE
03-Oct-08, 17:48
I see u can get the beans to buy now in plastic containers like as in yogurt containers but strange thing is it cost more to buy than in tins

Torvaig
03-Oct-08, 18:01
Possibly you all know to push the ring forward first to break the seal and then pull it back; it seems to work better....

Anne x
03-Oct-08, 18:57
Hey !! thank you all have a lakeland close by guess where I will be going , thanks for pms as well
totally underestimated the amount of toast I needed as some hard and some burnt by the time I got it open !!
On a serious note I have osteoporosis and was actually very agitated and thinking my wrists were getting weaker which led me to thinking about other people and how they manage

JAWS
03-Oct-08, 19:12
They even have them on tins of corned beef now instead of the usual key.Has anybody ever managed to get one of them too work without either having the ring come completely off or having to pull so hard to get the lid off that you risk doing yourself an injury?

Tighsonas4
03-Oct-08, 19:46
Has anybody ever managed to get one of them too work without either having the ring come completely off or having to pull so hard to get the lid off that you risk doing yourself an injury?
its not all that long ago that the other half cut herself quite nasty with a ring pull.
as were both losing the PITH it surprising the little things that become a problem. opening these 4 pinters of milk.its all over the place [lol] then theres these blister packs you get your tablets in jars can be a problem but we got a small rubber capped thing and its amazing how it helps for screwing tops of jars thing is were still here so am not moaning [lol] tony

northener
03-Oct-08, 19:48
Best thing to do with a bad-tempered corned dog tin is invest in the biggest heavy duty chefs' or butchers knife you can get, keep it razor sharp and just chop the horrible bloody thing in half.

Works a treat.

Tighsonas4
03-Oct-08, 19:50
Meh, easy - remember the old Spam cans? The little metal tab you had to insert through the eye in the 'key', then spend 30 minutes trying to roll the resulting metal around the key? Now that was frustrating!!!!
and the thing is there still on the go too [lol] tony

golach
03-Oct-08, 20:00
I have one of these for my problem ring pulls called the can pull

http://www.essentialaids.com/erol.html#1693x0&&http%3A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.uk%252Fsearch%3Fhl% 3Den%26q%3Dto+assist+in+opening+ring+pull+cans%26b tnG%3DSearch%26meta%3Dcr%253DcountryUK%257Ccountry GB

Fluff
03-Oct-08, 20:39
I use a teaspoon and find that works, I always have a problem with the childproof lids on the likes of toilet bleach, where you have to nip the two side together, I can never get enough strength to do it!

balto
03-Oct-08, 20:45
Has anybody ever managed to get one of them too work without either having the ring come completely off or having to pull so hard to get the lid off that you risk doing yourself an injury?
oh it is those keys that drive me round the bend, we like the chopped ham/pork on toasties and the key ohhh, you seem to get half way round the can then it snaps so annoying.

Rheghead
03-Oct-08, 20:45
It's the childproof bottles which get me going,I can push down or turn but not both at the same time.
Muffin

How old are you btw?

balto
03-Oct-08, 20:47
Muffin
some of these child proof bottles arent as child proof as they make out, my middle one managed it when she was 3.

canuck
03-Oct-08, 22:00
Decided to have some Beans & Toast for lunch after braving the elements
popped couple bits of bread in toaster 10 mins later still trying to open the tin of Beans had in the end to resort to tin opener is it just me with those ring pull things ? they always beat me
I feel sorry for the folk who have Athritis or similar conditions I dont know how they manage

There was a moment of panic at lunchtime today. I thought that I might not get any food! Before returning to Toronto last week, my daughter stocked my cupboard with several tins of soup, lovely soup, but ones with those ring pull tops. Now my mother is visiting and in charge of meal preparation. The soup can was in front of her. She pulled and pushed and said some interesting words. These ring things are not common in Canada. Finally I hobbled on my crutches into the kitchen to supervise. We managed to break the ring off and then had to pry the rest of the lid free with the handle of a spoon.

Don't get me going on child proof medicine bottles. I am just thankful that my pain meds are in blister packs.

joxville
04-Oct-08, 00:57
Maybe it's the fault of too much inbreeding-you've all been born with two left hands. I've never had a problem with said items. :D

Anne x
04-Oct-08, 12:51
Maybe it's the fault of too much inbreeding-you've all been born with two left hands. I've never had a problem with said items. :D

that will be the solution Jox ! no more inbreeding gosh why did I not think of that :roll:

sassylass
04-Oct-08, 18:25

Funny you mention that. Just last week, my sis and I were going through our parents' old Christmas ornaments and we found those, made into ornaments. Nothing went to waste in our house! I believe they were from coffee cans though, not Spam.

Tighsonas4
04-Oct-08, 18:27
that will be the solution Jox ! no more inbreeding gosh why did I not think of that :roll:
only time changes circumstances and they alter in spite of anything we can do tony

Tristan
04-Oct-08, 18:34
When the rings work they are great, but if not they are a real pain in the backside.