PDA

View Full Version : James Baikie and Catherine Calder

wombatultima
03-Oct-08, 09:20
Hi everyone

I have a new Baikie problem to be solved

I have a James Baikie b1830 in Dunnet, the son of John Baikie and Isabella Robeson.

While a young man - quoting from his obituary - James served with the 24th Regiment, probably in India. I have now received information that he married Catherine Calder, also of Dunnet, in 1854 .

I need more information on Catherine Calder to confirm if such a marriage took place as a number of future events depend on it.

Sometime before 1864 James immigrated to Australia and married my GGG Aunt Catherine Munro in 1864 in Prahran Victoria. I have so found no sign of a James or Catherine Baikie in the Victorian, NSW and Tasmania online passenger lists or on the list for the Highland and Island Emagration Society list so I assume he first went to South Australia. There is no record in the BMD indexes for Victoria or NSW and Tasmania for a Catherine Baikie/Calder

Does anyone on the list come across a James Baikie and Catherine Calder in their own reserches

Regards

Bill
Brunswick Victoria

Rosemary Skea
03-Oct-08, 23:02
Morning Bill from sunny Queensland,

the following is from the Dunnet OPR : 28th March 1854. James Baikie, Mey, Canisbay married Catherine Calder, West Dunnet. Witness David and WIlliam Calder.
I have also found 10 children born to James Baikie and Catherine Calder in Mey Canisbay between 1855 and 1870. I have just checked the 1861 census and it says that this James Baikie was born in Canisbay, so he is not your man !

Rosemary

Hi everyone

I have a new Baikie problem to be solved

I have a James Baikie b1830 in Dunnet, the son of John Baikie and Isabella Robeson.

While a young man - quoting from his obituary - James served with the 24th Regiment, probably in India. I have now received information that he married Catherine Calder, also of Dunnet, in 1854 .

I need more information on Catherine Calder to confirm if such a marriage took place as a number of future events depend on it.

Sometime before 1864 James immigrated to Australia and married my GGG Aunt Catherine Munro in 1864 in Prahran Victoria. I have so found no sign of a James or Catherine Baikie in the Victorian, NSW and Tasmania online passenger lists or on the list for the Highland and Island Emagration Society list so I assume he first went to South Australia. There is no record in the BMD indexes for Victoria or NSW and Tasmania for a Catherine Baikie/Calder

Does anyone on the list come across a James Baikie and Catherine Calder in their own reserches

Regards

Bill
Brunswick Victoria

Mamie_2
04-Oct-08, 01:06
I keep coming up with Mar 24 1854 for their banns. Were you looking at the actual OPR Rosemary?

Hej Bill who told you that yours married Catherine Calder?

Mamie

Mamie_2
04-Oct-08, 01:13
s/o of Benjamin Baikie and Helen Barnetson born 1825 in Canisbay

Benjamin 1781 s/o of George Baikie and Margaret Sutherland

Mamie

Rosemary Skea
04-Oct-08, 04:50
I transcribed the Dunnet OPR and yes 24th March was the date of the banns but there is no marriage date given.

Rosemary

I keep coming up with Mar 24 1854 for their banns. Were you looking at the actual OPR Rosemary?

Hej Bill who told you that yours married Catherine Calder?

Mamie

lynn prow
05-Oct-08, 23:56
How old is your James Baikie when he married? Do you have the wedding certificate?
I have checked what resources I have for South Australia and to date no James Baikie. the SA Biographical Index is fairly comprehensive for people entering SA and he does not appear. He may have been on a privately owned ship or could he have been a Captain. there is a Captain James Baikie arriving in 1853 in to Vic but not sure of age of your James.

Do you have his death certificate?

cheers, Lynn

wombatultima
06-Oct-08, 02:07
Thanks everyone

My source is from someone researching Helena Baikie, the sister of James. She must have seen the OPR entry and jumped to the conclusion that it was the same James Baikie.

Captain James Baikie is unlikely as my James would have been only 23 in 1853. Bit hard to fit a military career and a sea career by the time you are 23.

Bill