PDA

View Full Version : Who make`s you laugh?

paris
12-Jan-06, 00:57
With so mush sadness in the world today, who makes you laugh?
For me it has to be Freddy Star, and little britain.

angela5
12-Jan-06, 01:00
Little Britain, it's so funny.
I also have to laugh at Steptoe And Son, old but funny.

spiggie
12-Jan-06, 01:03
Little Britain is Ace, Catherine Tate, Chewing the Fat and Peter Kay he is Really funny doing live stand up :)

melted_wellie
12-Jan-06, 01:04
there was someone on here that used to be quite funny,not now it would seem.

connieb19
12-Jan-06, 01:05
Shameless and little britain...........:D :D

paris
12-Jan-06, 01:06
what about the new one . i think its called Titty bang or something like that.

ice box
12-Jan-06, 01:08
Has to be shamless..... lmao

angela5
12-Jan-06, 01:09
Has it started? i was going to mind and watch it.
Still Game is another 1 that makes me laugh.

melted_wellie
12-Jan-06, 01:14
prime ministers question time

porshiepoo
12-Jan-06, 01:30
I really don't get the comedy of little britain! lol. The kids love it and think it's hilarious, I'd rather watch the 'only fools and horses' re runs.

Chillie
12-Jan-06, 06:34
Little britain is absolute south of the border rubbish, Still Game any day,
Craiglang rules OK!

golach
12-Jan-06, 11:25
Craiglang rules OK!

Dumbo I am with you on this I cannot stand Little Britain, Still Game has me in stitches, I like Peter Kaye also

moncur
12-Jan-06, 11:34
Little Britain is good, although I think they are starting to milk it already. I got the dvd for xmas. it seems very repetitive and the deleted scenes part of it is truly awful. Lee Evans dvd is pretty damn good though and once again, Still Game is ace!

Chillie
12-Jan-06, 11:40
Thanks who bad rept me for my honest opinion i take it you don't understand good Scottish humour. [smirk]

DrSzin
12-Jan-06, 11:47
Craiglang rules OK! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can't stand Little Britain. I can't bear to be in the room when it's on. In fact, I can't even bear to be in the next room when it's on!

I too think of it as Little England -- that would have been a much more appropriate title.

porshiepoo
12-Jan-06, 11:50
I too think of it as Little England -- that would have been a much more appropriate title.
[/QUOTE]

Excuse me??

loganbiffy
12-Jan-06, 11:51
Monty Python, Shameless, Two pints of lager to name a few

weeboyagee
12-Jan-06, 11:59
Dr Szin, Dumbo, golach,......with you all the way - can't stand that garbage Little Britain. Tried to watch it and it just bores me. I keep thinking it's me who's thick when I try getting to grips with the humour. I sometimes think that this programme gets away with a helluva lot in this PC world - but then for the few times I have had to watch it in someone elses home while they have the tele on, I am probably grateful for the opportunity to view and realise why not to turn it on in my own house!

Any Scottish humour has me in stitches but I am sorry to say the Big Yin bores me these days too!

DrSzin
12-Jan-06, 12:01
Excuse me?? Why, what have you done? ;)

Seriously, I find the humour in that programme to be very English in style. That's not a derogatory comment. It's a simple statement. It's not related to the fact that I can't stand the programme. Honestly!

I thought the same of "The Office".

Chillie
12-Jan-06, 12:06
Dr Szin, Dumbo, golach,......with you all the way - can't stand that garbage Little Britain.Any Scottish humour has me in stitches but I am sorry to say the Big Yin bores me these days too!

I tend to agree with you on the Big Yin he is, i am afraid he.

"past his sell by date":~(

krieve
12-Jan-06, 12:52
Shameless, still game, chewing the fat they are all funny but shamless is the best.

lassieinfife
12-Jan-06, 12:56
I agree about the big yin and also little Britain .... i cant stand it at all[evil]

Saveman
12-Jan-06, 12:59
With so mush sadness in the world today, who makes you laugh?
For me it has to be Freddy Star, and little britain.

Lee Evans, Peter Kay, Monty Python, Bill Bailey, Jack Dee

Lee Evans has it all. :D

phoenix
12-Jan-06, 13:31
Caithness.org its a laugh a minute, better than anything or anyone on tele.........the humour and the wit..........pure dead brilliant!

erli
12-Jan-06, 13:38
Faulty Towers.

unicorn
12-Jan-06, 13:38
Definately agree pheonix this place is a riot some days!!

porshiepoo
12-Jan-06, 13:50
Why, what have you done? ;)

Seriously, I find the humour in that programme to be very English in style. That's not a derogatory comment. It's a simple statement. It's not related to the fact that I can't stand the programme. Honestly!

I thought the same of "The Office".

So what does 'English in style' mean exactly then DrSzin?????????????
Explain yourself lol.

Tis rubbish though. I've tried finding it funny and I've probably mustered the odd smirk but it's absolute tosh.
Have to admit though, I have used the phrase "computer says no" embarassingly too much.

A real good laugh is the Dr who repeats. That stuff used to scare the bejesus out of me, looking at it now though it's a right laugh, wobbly sets and all sorts. Even the awesome K9 has lost it's wow factor - how sad!

angela5
12-Jan-06, 14:01
Definately agree pheonix this place is a riot some days!!

[lol] It certainly can be quite entertaining at times!

DrSzin
12-Jan-06, 14:40
Dr Szin, Dumbo, golach,......with you all the way - can't stand that garbage Little Britain. Tried to watch it and it just bores me. I keep thinking it's me who's thick when I try getting to grips with the humour. I sometimes think that this programme gets away with a helluva lot in this PC world - but then for the few times I have had to watch it in someone elses home while they have the tele on, I am probably grateful for the opportunity to view and realise why not to turn it on in my own house!!I too find it boring and repetitive.

When I said Little England would be a better title I was referring to their humour. Any negative connotations to the expression "Little Englander" were unintended. In fact, I would say their humour is very middle-class "Home Counties" in style and outlook -- so "Little London" might be an even better title. It's hard to explain exactly why I think that, but Lucas & Williams remind me so much of a few people I know from the "Home Counties", and David Walliams looks and sounds so much like someone I know from London that I can't think of them in any other way. Again, I'm just being observant, not derogatory -- but I just can't abide the programme!

Any Scottish humour has me in stitches but I am sorry to say the Big Yin bores me these days too!I was a huge fan in the 70s but I find him boring now too. :roll: I saw an interview with him some years ago -- his views on the world, and on Scotland in particular, were so LA-centric that I cringed continuously. I've lived in Southern California and I've spent quite a bit of time in LA in the past, so I could spot his influences very easily. His lack of knowledge and experience of 90s Scottish politics were embarrassing. It was a little pathetic to be honest. I think he's become a little better lately, thank goodness.

Ok, enough moaning...

Karen Dunbar always makes me laugh. In some ways, she reminds me of early Billy Connolly, but she's more rounded than he is. I met her once -- in the queue for the loo on a plane! She had a shaved head and was wearing a t-shirt and denim dungarees -- she was pleasant enough but she put on such a scary glare that I didn't talk much!

John Cleese is possibly the funniest man alive.

angela5
12-Jan-06, 15:21
Still game its fantastic.Big Innes i still have to laugh at that one.

squidge
12-Jan-06, 15:29
Who makes me laugh

Well there is Jennie and Johny and Py and wee Karen and Rhona and Eddie is hilarious and Lyndsey's timing is often spot on and then there are my boys and the Caithness.org posters

Crikey you think ihave time to watch others on tv or DVD- Im far too busy

cuddlepop
12-Jan-06, 17:46
Still Game,its in the 4th series now.Sometimes its not as funny as usual was really disappointed at the christmas special,are they trying too hard?
:D

George Brims
12-Jan-06, 18:33
People who don't know how to use apostrophes in the headers of topics.

paris
12-Jan-06, 18:51
Tut !Tut ?George, some `people. just `put `them `anywhere, but .does ,it /really` matter?

Sporran
12-Jan-06, 21:08
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can't stand Little Britain. I can't bear to be in the room when it's on. In fact, I can't even bear to be in the next room when it's on!

Och, ye've bin livin' in Scotland tae lang, doc! :p

I've only seen a couple of episodes of Little Britain on BBC America, and did enjoy them. Whether I would find it boring after a while remains to be seen. I find The League of Gentlemen very funny, and was delighted to receive the series on DVD for Christmas! Even though I'd seen all the episides before, they still made me laugh! :lol:

As for Scottish humour, I thought the Rab C Nesbitt series of the 90s was absolutely brilliant! I know critics have said it presented negative stereotypes of Glasgow and Glaswegians, but it was funny all the same! Going way back to my chiildhood, the late Stanley Baxter was one of my favourite Scottish comedians, with his 'Parliamo Glasgow' skits, American movie star impersonations, etc.

I'm a full blooded Scot, but I enjoy English and American humour, as well as that of my homeland. :D

landmarker
12-Jan-06, 21:18
Dumbo I am with you on this I cannot stand Little Britain, Still Game has me in stitches, I like Peter Kaye also

Little Britain is 5% genius and 80 % puerile rubbish & 20% offensive guff.
I could go on but some obviously like it.
Different strokes.
Must you really heap it all on to England?
I'd consign it to Lundy, the birds wouldn't mind I'm sure.

p.s. arithmetic not my strongpoint lol.

gleeber
12-Jan-06, 21:27
The funniest comedy skit I ever saw was Charlie Chaplin in the Gold Rush where he was in a cabin balanced on the edge of a precipice with a hen tipping the balance. Classic.
I still smile when I see Norman Wisdom and Peter Sellars was a master of comedy.

Loafer
12-Jan-06, 21:36
Has to be Still Game by a head from Peter Kaye.

Little Britain? I just don't get it!

The Loafer

squidge
12-Jan-06, 22:05
I like "league of gentlemen" i especially like the jobclub restart woman - i KNEW people like that:lol:

landmarker
12-Jan-06, 22:38
What has mad eme laugh lately has been a re-watched first series of 'The Office'..this will endure as long as Fawlty Towers, is equally good and of its time.

Also 'Early Doors' the Manchester pub almost entirely patronised by chain smokers, good humoured numpties and assorted oddballs.
Anyone else like it? Is it on 'up there'? Do you 'get it?'

scorrie
13-Jan-06, 00:14
Little Britain and Catherine Tate fall into the category of comedy that it seems to be fashionable to like. Little Britain is, indeed, Puerile as Landmaker said while Catherine Tate is a one-trick catchphrase but hey are the viewers bothered?

I don't think they will make the top 40 of all time comedy in the future.

My own favourite is Groucho Marx, the films were a bit patchy but he was the master of the one-liner and had a healthy disrespect for the establishment. Groucho invested all his money in the stock market and lost the lot in the Wall Street Crash. This was later reflected in a comment to one of his financial advisers who was relaying that his Uncle had passed away. "Tragic really, Diabetes at 45", to which Groucho quipped "That's nothing, I had Chrysler at 130"

connieb19
13-Jan-06, 00:17
I find "Have I got News For You", really funny!!:lol:

futurelegends
13-Jan-06, 00:38
People who send me stuff like this - Thanks Davie / Calum.

1. Commenting on a complaint from a Mr. Arthur Purdey about a large
gas bill, a spokesman for North West Gas said, "We agree it was rather high
for the time of year. It's possible Mr. Purdey has been charged for the gas
used up during the explosion that destroyed his house." (The Daily Telegraph)

2. Police reveal that a woman arrested for shoplifting had a whole salami
in her underwear. When asked why, she said it was because she was missing
her Italian boyfriend. (The Manchester Evening News)

3. Irish police are being handicapped in a search for a stolen van,
because they cannot issue a description. It's a Special Branch vehicle and
they don't want the public to know what it looks like. (The Guardian)

4. A young girl who was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth
was rescued by a man on an inflatable lobster. A coast guard spokesman commented,
"This sort of thing is all too common". (The Times)

5. At the height of the gale, the harbourmaster radioed a coastguard
and asked him to estimate the wind speed. He replied he was sorry, but he
didn't have a gauge. However, if it was any help, the wind had just blown
his Land Rover off the cliff. (Aberdeen Evening Express)

6. Mrs. Irene Graham of Thorpe Avenue, Boscombe, delighted the audience
with her reminiscence of the German prisoner of war who was sent each week
to do her garden. He was repatriated at the end of 1945, she recalled. "He'd
always seemed a nice friendly chap, but when the crocuses came up in the
middle of our lawn in February 1946, they spelt out 'Heil Hitler.'" (Bournemouth
Evening Echo)

A list of actual announcements that London Tube train drivers have made to
their passengers...

1. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I do apologize for the delay to your service.
I know you're all dying to get home, unless, of course, you happen to be
married to my ex-wife, in which case you'll want to cross over to the Westbound
and go in the opposite direction."

2. "Your delay this evening is caused by the line controller suffering
from E & B syndrome: not knowing his elbow from his backside. I'll let you
know any further information as soon as I'm given any."

3. "Do you want the good news first or the bad news? The good news is
that last Friday was my birthday and I hit the town and had a great time.
The bad news is that there is a points failure somewhere between Stratford
and East Ham, which means we probably won't reach our destination."

4. "Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay, but there is a
security alert at Victoria station and we are therefore stuck here for the
foreseeable future, so let's take our minds off it and pass some time together.
All together now.... 'Ten green bottles, hanging on a wall.....'."

5. "We are now traveling through Baker Street... As you can see, Baker
Street is closed. It would have been nice if they had actually told me, so
I could tell you earlier, but no, they don't think about things like that".

6. "Beggars are operating on this train. Please do NOT encourage these
professional beggars. If you have any spare change, please give it to a registered
charity. Failing that, give it to me."

7. During an extremely hot rush hour on the Central Line, the driver
announced in a West Indian drawl: "Step right this way for the sauna, ladies
and gentleman... unfortunately, towels are not provided."

8. "Let the passengers off the train FIRST!" (Pause .) "Oh go on then,
stuff yourselves in like sardines, see if I care - I'm going home...."

9. "Please allow the doors to close. Try not to confuse this with 'Please
hold the doors open.' The two are distinct and separate instructions."

10. "Please note that the beeping noise coming from the doors means that
the doors are about to close. It does not mean throw yourself or your bags
into the doors."

11. "We can't move off because some idiot has their hand stuck in the
door."

12. "To the gentleman wearing the long grey coat trying to get on the
second carriage - what part of 'stand clear of the doors' don't you understand?"

13. "Please move all baggage away from the doors." (Pause..) "Please
move ALL belongings away from the doors." (Pause...) "This is a personal
message to the man in the brown suit wearing glasses at the rear of the train:
Put the pie down, Four-eyes, and move your bl**dy golf clubs away from the
door before I come down there and shove them up your a**e sideways!"

14. "May I remind all passengers that there is strictly no smoking allowed
on any part of the Underground. However, if you are smoking a joint, it's
only fair that you pass it round the rest of the carriage."

ice box
13-Jan-06, 00:49
Thats brillant thats the funnest thing i've heard all nite..... lovl

angela5
13-Jan-06, 00:58
[lol] thats the funniest i've heard all day.

DrSzin
13-Jan-06, 01:59
Good one futurelegends. :)

I was on a train a few years ago when the guard announced:

We apologise for the late arrival of this train. This was caused by a delay.

What? A delay? Surely not. :confused

I thought "The Office" was as dull as dishwater.

Sporran, if Little Britain was on tv in your house as often as it is in mine, I suggest you too would grow to detest it. It's both insidious and pernicious: on the table next to me lies a pack of Little Britain Top Trumps cards; on the shelf sits a Little Britain DVD for my son's pal's birthday. I fear a pandemic that will dwarf anything that bird flu may produce. Be afraid, be very afraid...

Wizzbang
13-Jan-06, 02:36
Tommy cooper

He was funny and without resorting to smut or swear words which seem all to often these days. Particularly the alternative comics.

swlr+

Sporran
13-Jan-06, 03:10
Yes, I liked Tommy Cooper too, Wizzbang.

DrSzin, I couldn't agree more with you on The Office! I was not impressed with one at all! :eyes I'll pay heed to your warning about Little Britain, LOL! :lol:

I'm looking forward to watching Coupling on BBC America tonight. I got hooked on Coupling whilst living on the other side of the Big Pond. :D Other fave British sitcoms are My Family, The Kumars at No.42 and Goodness Gracious Me, all currently showing on BBC-A.

Several months ago, we were enjoying The Hollow Men on Comedy Central over here. The humour reminded me somewhat of that on Monty Python's Flying Circus. Talking of which, there are still reruns of Monty Python in the US, and good old Benny Hill is still chasing the girls on BBC America, LOL! :lol:

theone
13-Jan-06, 03:21
Trailer Park Boys
Malcolm in the Middle
My Name is Earl

All great new comedys

Used to like red dwarf but it seems a bit dated now.........?

teddybear1873
13-Jan-06, 03:38
The Scottish national football team has to make me laugh.

pedromcgrory
13-Jan-06, 03:51
true true lol

weeboyagee
13-Jan-06, 15:08
The funniest comedy skit I ever saw was Charlie Chaplin in the Gold Rush where he was in a cabin balanced on the edge of a precipice with a hen tipping the balance. Classic.
I still smile when I see Norman Wisdom and Peter Sellars was a master of comedy.
Brough a smile to my face this one! Loved the old classics like those! Laurel and Hardy with the piano removal was another one! Peter Sellars as Inspector Clueso trying to say "room" and "bomb" in the Pink Panther series were absolute screamers! OK - so I'm sad,....who cares?......

....and what about.......TOM AND JERRY!!!???

golach
13-Jan-06, 15:57
Rangers are making all us Hibees laugh this season[smirk] :lol:

landmarker
13-Jan-06, 18:12

I'm so glad I didn't say that.

Seriously: what a shame they're not at the World Cup. 90% of us down here would cheer your boys on. Me included, somewhat obviously.

Donnie
13-Jan-06, 18:33
Bill Hicks.

Julia
13-Jan-06, 19:05
I think Kath & Kim is really funny, and Scrubs too...:lol:

5 mile yomp
13-Jan-06, 20:39
It's gotta be Peter Kay for me.

An absolute comedy genius :lol: :lol: :lol:

krieve
13-Jan-06, 23:23
That comedy My name is earl is good .

girnigoe
14-Jan-06, 00:50
what about the new one . i think its called Titty bang or something like that.

OMG!!!!!!!! Did anyone watch that???? What uttter ****!!! The sketches didnt even seem to have any real sort of ending - they started off as if they were going to be funny and didnt go anywhere!!!! I had to turn over after 10mins! Normally I will watch anything!

For me it has to be Two Pints of Lager or Friends.....

Rheghead
14-Jan-06, 01:25
I love chewin the fat and any 'An Audience with...' show, you see them at their best then. Notable ones were Victoria wood and Jackie Mason.

The fast show has me laughing as well as little britain but I can see it getting boring now unless they come out with new stuff.

Paul Merton is goodwhere as Jimmy Carr is rubbish.

Usually comedians are at their best in their early years, it takes real comedy genius to keep it up. The big yin has though which is great credit to him.

Jo Brand is funny, more so if I was a lassie though!LOL

Drutt
14-Jan-06, 01:29
Jimmy Carr rubbish?? Naaah!! His comedy is very different to his programme-presenting. He's superb live, especially with his put-downs of hecklers.

I thought he was an amazing performer... I'm planning to go see him again in a couple of months.

elaine
14-Jan-06, 14:24
Bill Bailey, Eddie Izzard, Chris Rock and Peter Kaye

Am also loving that new series "My name is Earl"

ooo I almost forgot "Family Guy"! Class.

Fesman
14-Jan-06, 15:18
I think Kath & Kim is really funny, and Scrubs too...:lol:

Funny you should say that.

It's not too often that you'll find Australians laughing at themselves, but Kath and Kim do it well.

The most memorable lines for me are:

Kim: "Oh mum, why aren't I rich? I want to be effluent."
Kath: "Oh Kimmy, you are effluent."

And Scrubs.. I'm not a fan of American comedy, but that is one out of the box :)

Of the British comedians, I'd have to say that Ronnie Barker and Billy Connolly do it for me :)