PDA

View Full Version : Oiled seabirds

kas
02-Oct-08, 18:56
Has anyone else been seeing or finding oiled seabirds?

I first saw a oiled guillemot on Scrabster beach on Sunday, then my OH found an oiled Black guillemot also on Scrabster on Tuesday, which he took to the vets but it sadly died, then that same evening I found a oiled eider duck in the same place.

Then yesterday evening I saw 10 olied Gulls, a Razorbill and Guillemot on Casletown Beach. Another oiled guillemot was on Thurso on Monday, 20 oiled Eiders at Thurso today and an oiled Guillemot was taken to the SSPCA from Melvich.

There must have been oil out at sea somewhere, I have notified SEPA but was wondering if anyone else had seen anything similar? I would like to think todays weather will disperse whatever the problem was.

skinnydog
02-Oct-08, 20:37
Yes, I saw a poor little bird on Sunday on Scrabster beach. Think it was the gullemot that you must have seen too. Haven't seen any others and I hope that the bad weather does disperse whatever seems to be out there.

Seabird
03-Oct-08, 22:08
Update just received this e-mail from Kas.

As some of you will know we have been out on patrol looking for oiled birds today as a joint venture between BDMLR, RSPB, SEPA and the Highland council, due to the recent spate of oiled birds found.
I met up with everyone at the seadrift Centre, where Karl (BDMLR medic) and I were assigned to walk the coastline at Gills, and check in at Scaotlands Haven.

As soon as we got down on to the Shingle Karl spotted some oil on a stone. We found maybe 30-40 spots of oil on stones, with the size varyibg from a penny to a tennis ball size. There were a few blobs on seaweed and some single feathers. We also saw an eider duck out on the rocks with oil on its neck, it was a male which are black and white. There were two females which are brown there as well, we were unable to tell if these had oil on them.

We then went to Scotlands Haven where we saw an adult and juvenile Great Black-backed gulls with oil on their lower breasts.

I then reported in to the seadrift on my way back. On my way home from there I had a look at Castlehill where I found 32 gulls with considerable amounts of oil on them, there were many others with what looked like small traces of it. The black-headeds seem to have been hit the worst, as there were a few who were almost completely covered, II also found an exhausted Guillemot with some traces of oil which I took to the vets. There has also been an oiled Guillemot in Scrabster Harbour this afternoon, and I just spoke to Rich who informed me that an oiled bird has been found at Keiss. This shows we have a widespread problem on our hands.

If anyone sends emails back, it may be a while before I respond as my internet connection has gone down.

Cheers
Karen

Colin

Liz
03-Oct-08, 22:52
This is absolutely heartbreaking! Where on earth has this spill come from?

Well done to those of you who have been out trying to help these poor birds.

They are having a hard enough time surviving without this!!![mad]

kas
04-Oct-08, 13:29
Quick reply, as my PC is down and using someone elses.

Just had a report of a badly oiled Razorbill found on Orkney yeasterday. So we have now had birds along the Coast from Mevich round to Keiss, and now Orkney. Much worse than we initially thought I am sad to say.

On my way to try and catch oiled birds at Scrabster.

ett23
04-Oct-08, 16:12
My hubby and I saw several oily seagulls on Monday in Thurso near the river mouth. They seemed to have oil on their lower breasts and head. Poor things...:(

Solus
05-Oct-08, 17:54
Saw a few oiled birds today out at Castletown, there is more tar balls came up on the high tide today out there also.

teenybash
05-Oct-08, 19:03
Has anyone found out where this oil spill has come from,,,,,:roll:

Seabird
05-Oct-08, 22:02
Has anyone found out where this oil spill has come from,,,,,:roll:

This news report is about as much as anyone knows at this stage.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/environment?articleid=4559719

Colin
Caithness
MMM

Seabird
06-Oct-08, 19:33
Just received this e-mail.

Over the past 4 days we have received several reports of oiled sea birds being washed up beachs around the country. Two main areas seem to be affected - Caithness and Northumberland to Middlebrough.

We are not setting up any formal patrols or anything but would like to make anyone spending time on the coast aware and to keep an eye open for oiled birds. If you find an oiled bird please report it to the RSPCA on 0300-1234-999 or SSPCA on 03000-999-999.

Please see this link.
http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=NewsFeature&articleId=1220375385480&marker=1

BDMLR medics have been involved with the RSPB and SSPCA checking sections of the coast around Caithness and medics in the NE England have also been involved with the RSPCA and local vets in dealing with oiled birds too.

Please remember that if you find an oiled bird please do not take it home and start washing it. It is very important that it receives medication internally as soon as possible and only experienced people should do this. Please call the RSPCA,/SSPCA, local wildlife rescue centre or local wildlife friendly vet if you need help with an oiled bird.

Trevor Weeks
National Co-ordinator
British Divers Marine Life Rescue
Reg Charity 803438
www.bdmlr.org.uk

Seabird
08-Oct-08, 18:13
Oiled birds now reported arriving on the East shore of South Ronaldsay in Orkney.
It would seem there are lots of birds still suffering from this spill, and have yet to come ashore.

Colin