PDA

View Full Version : Access for All

Tina Irving
10-Jul-03, 13:36
Does anyone have any comments on the Scottish Outdoor Access Code and wish they had responded to the Code? Do any cyclists, walkers, and other user groups haev anything to say about access in Caithness, especially the Dunnet area? Do any landowners have anything they would like to discuss. If you have not heard of the Access Code and are a landowner or user in the County, and have any issues at all, please let us know.

This message board is administered by the Dunnet Riders in conjunction with the Dunnet Head Educational Trust.

Bill Fernie
10-Jul-03, 16:57
The deadline of 30 june may have past for comments but you can still read the information at http://www.snh.gov.uk/soac/ on this important issue.

Anonymous
10-Jul-03, 18:02
I cannot speak for Scotland. However i have walked over most of the uplands of England and Wales, and I can say that the vast majority of walkers use common sense and stick to not just rights of way on a map but also something that is practical. That is to say if someone would not like you to go there, then you don't.
There are and always will be people that take the attitude that I am allowed therefore I will.
I cannot agree with their stance as that spoils it for the people who just like a walk in the country.
Paddy speaking from Offa's Dyke, Pennine Way and Ribblesdale Way, among numerous days out.

Tina Irving
11-Jul-03, 17:59
As you say, most people stick to what is practical and are sensible. However, the law in Scotland is different than that in England and Wales and therefore a way of "plugging" the was saught. The onus is on RESPONSIBLE access - anyone not seen to be acting RESPONSIBLY will have the right to roam revoked. How that is to be policed, it remains to be seen.

Brian Sparks
14-Jul-03, 22:34
6 points from the Scottish Rights of Way Society

1 A public right of way allows members of the public to use all or part of it at all times to progress freely between any two points along its length.

2 The fact that it is a public right of way does not allow the route to be used for any purpose other than passage; e.g. it may not be assumed that it is permissible to light fires or to camp-

3 A public right of way may be established for pedestrian, cycle, equestrian or vehicular use but most rights of way may be used only by pedestrians.

4 The type of use is determined by evidence of use by these categories over a period of 20 years or more.

5 The decision as to whether or not a route has right of way status is not within the power of the Society, although the Society will normally have a view and communicate that view to the relevant local authorities. The Society will also list all routes in the National Catalogue.

6 The common law lays down four main criteria for rights of way (see 8) and if these are satisfied, then a route may be claimed as a right of way.
Statutory powers in connection with rights of way are given to local authorities and they may, if so desired, add claimed rights of way to a list of asserted rights of way. This simply means that they are prepared to support their status, if challenged.

Tina Irving
20-Jul-03, 22:03
If you are having problems with a right of way being blocked, you should contact your local authority for help if a friendly visit to the landowner doesn't work. Scotways have also helped in many situations such as this.

Tina Irving
24-Jul-03, 21:45
Dunnet Riders Group are organising an anti ragwort campaign in the Dunnet area starting on Sunday 27th July - meeting at the Dunnet Head Tearooms at 12 noon. Spades, gloves and refreshments provided. Help get rid of this dangerous weed - if you are a landowner you should be concerned for your livestock.

Tina Irving
27-Jul-03, 16:13
Having read an article about a group in Reay who were trying to get ROWs opened and being set back in their goals, it seems that we, the horse riders, are not alone in failing to engage the Council in a meaningful way in the access issue. There are bound to be more issues as SOAC and the Access Legislation come into force. The County is missing out on hundreds of thousands of pounds for tracks by not addressing the subject. For example, the Core Path Networks plan and the Access Forums required by the Land Reform Act - the Council are set against both of these even though SNH are setting aside the monies. Without an infrastructure for walking, cycling and horse riding, none of these activities can be developed in the County, which are a big market.

We are working closely with David Barclay, Highland Access Project (funded until next year by the Highland Council, Paths for All and SNH) to get waymarks around the Dunnet area. The subject definitely needs to come up at a Council meeting. There is an issue surrounding a cattle grid at Loch More. I have written to John Thurso about it as it is on his land. Last year Alex Sutherland (HC Access Officer) mooted at 20 mile track around the Loch More area, but the only stumbling block as far as horses are concerned is the cattle grid. John Thurso has now agreed that the grid be covered in and a new one be put further back with a gate to allow horses to pass. This is at a cost of £8000 - a good proportion of the HC budget for infrastructure. It's great - but there are 20 riders in the Dunnet area with no boxes and therefore no means of getting to the ride - there are only about 8/9 people who go riding at Loch More. We are trying to get some gates replaced at Dunnet on a track which is well used, but the Council say that the landowner has to pay half. John Thurso is not being asked to pay half for the resiting of the cattle grid, and I would say (as John does) that it should not take priority.

What I am saying here is that

a) There is no representation on the Caithness Planning, Development, Tourism and Europe committee for access
b) We have no active access officer for Caithness
c) The powers that be in Inverness are not interested in Caithness
d) That Caithness is missing out on important funding, tourism and economic development opportunities