PDA

View Full Version : To Dye or not?

highlander
02-Oct-08, 10:28
Ok i am 49 years old and i have been very fortunite that my hair has only now just started to turn grey, my hair is long dark brown and i keep it tied up. The question i would like to ask is should i get a dye it in, i know this is really a personal choice, but what i mean is can you leave it to go 50% grey and then do something about it or would it be harder to get it coloured, if so how long between times do you have to re-do it. This is a serious question because i dont have a clue, is it better to get it done in a hairdresser's or would it be just as easy to do it at home?.

alanatkie
02-Oct-08, 12:35
Well i get my hair dyed - it is all personal preference tho. I can go months without doing it (but the greys do show). You are usually recommended to get it dyed or do it yourself every 6-8 weeks.
I do enjoy going to get my hair done & they can do multiple colours at same time - it's a bit of me time but have been known to do it myself as well (sometimes a bit messy:D)

Kathy@watten
02-Oct-08, 13:48
Def dye it and re vamp your make up as well to keep the youthfull look, I would have no qualms about irradicating any signs of greying! at the same time you can venture into shops as well and go the whole hog and have a new wardrobe of stuff to compliment the new barnet! all works for me on all levels!

LMS
02-Oct-08, 17:36
I would definitely recommend getting colours/highlights done professionally. If you get someone who knows what they are doing, you can go three months or more between visits because they will use colours and techniques to minimise roots.

Haircraft in Castletown are excellent and have a £10 off voucher in yesterday's Caithness Courier.

Foxy
02-Oct-08, 21:58
I would recommend going grey gracefully, i'm only 40 and have grey hairs and can't be bothered getting my hair dyed nowadays, did the colour thing as a teenager. :lol:

highlander
02-Oct-08, 22:24
Foxy me going grey is one thing, but for me to do it gracefully? lol Thank you all for your advice, now what colour's are in fashion this year. lol

changilass
02-Oct-08, 23:20
I have mine dyed if I remember in time for a special event, if not or if I forget it stays the way it is lol.

Foxy
02-Oct-08, 23:39
Foxy me going grey is one thing, but for me to do it gracefully? lol Thank you all for your advice, now what colour's are in fashion this year. lol

[lol] Highlander disgracefully will do, If you decide to get it dyed go for a lighter colour than your hair is, as darker makes you look haggared. ;)

wifie
03-Oct-08, 02:47
[lol] Highlander disgracefully will do, If you decide to get it dyed go for a lighter colour than your hair is, as darker makes you look haggared. ;)

Hecks canna imagine Highlander lookin like Robbie Coltrane! :eek:

Margaret M.
03-Oct-08, 15:07
I would go for the professional highlights, Highlander. If you dye all one color, the roots, particularly if they are dark, become very noticeable in about 4 weeks. Highlights look more natural and you can go much longer between touchups.

Lavenderblue2
03-Oct-08, 16:18
Highlander I've been ‘dying’ for at least 45 years - started off because my hair was dull and mousey, but now, it is done to blend in with the silver threads of which I have many!
Apart from a few years when I had blonde streaks put in by Malcolm Steven my colourist has always been my husband. He even did my colour the night before we were married.

Now Mr Highlander is a dab hand with the paintbrush… ;)

Fluff
03-Oct-08, 21:18
Do what makes you feel good! Experiment if it helps, but you have had the same look for forever so where's the harm?

Dadie
07-Oct-08, 10:57
You could always experiament with semi permanent colours ....that way if you dont like the result it should fade out in about 4-6 weeks but they cannot give you lighter hair.

Its a safe option to trying out lots of new looks before you commit yourself to one!

sjr014
07-Oct-08, 13:31
For sure get it done! I always dye mine its been every colour! Love going to the hairdressers and gettin it done! Been getting bright reds recently and they do fade so quite often put a home kit on myself in between 2 save some pennies!