PDA

View Full Version : Flu Jabs

Fran
02-Oct-08, 03:21
Has everyone had their flu jab yet? I cant have mine just now as i have a chest infection, same thing same time a year ago. A bit concerned as didn't get my flu jab last year and had pneumonia . Hope the same doesn't happen again.

_Ju_
02-Oct-08, 07:24
Your body will be fighting the chest infection and would'nt be able to react properly to the vaccine ( and your chest infection might even get worse- dividing the troops between infection and vaccine, so to say!).
How long do you have to wait after getting the all clear to be vaccinated? Maybe it will still be in the jab season. Anyway, get better soon.:)

gollach
02-Oct-08, 08:16
I was told this week that my GP isn't running flu injection clinics yet.

nightspirit
02-Oct-08, 20:41
Thanks for reminding me - i have been given rocks by my GP for missing it for the past 2 years !!!!

Alice in Blunderland
02-Oct-08, 22:17
October is the best month to get your flu jab :)

purplelady
02-Oct-08, 22:43
Am waiting to hear bout mine should be soon

balto
03-Oct-08, 14:51
unfortunaltly i dont quilify for one, but would like to have it as when i get the flu i get it proper and it floors me for ages.

mccaugm
03-Oct-08, 14:53
What "qualifications" do you need to get a flu jab? I don't think I have ever had flu that I can remember but don't fancy getting it.

balto
03-Oct-08, 15:00
What "qualifications" do you need to get a flu jab? I don't think I have ever had flu that I can remember but don't fancy getting it.
do you not need to be over a certain age, or have certain health problems, thats what i alsway thought.

when i get the flu it hits me bad, and i end up feeling really miserable and my muscles in my legs are so sore i canhardly walk.

golach
03-Oct-08, 15:12
mostly you have to be over 65, but there are others who qualify to have this inoculation

http://www.infoscotland.com/flu/CCC_FirstPage.jsp

http://www.infoscotland.com/flu/23.html#wntv

Tighsonas4
03-Oct-08, 20:03
have been getting them for years but one doctor was telling me that as soon as there on the go theres a rush
his theory was that you get it early oct and an epedemic comes around feb it has lost its value tony

JAWS
03-Oct-08, 20:13
You would definitely know if you had ever had the real flu, it's like being run over by a steamroller which then parks on top of you.
It's not that you go to bed when you have it, it's more that there is no way you have the strength to move out of bed.
By comparison, the kind of flu people normally suffer from every winter is like the difference beween cutting you finger to sawing your leg off.

gollach
03-Oct-08, 23:55
You would definitely know if you had ever had the real flu, it's like being run over by a steamroller which then parks on top of you.
It's not that you go to bed when you have it, it's more that there is no way you have the strength to move out of bed.
By comparison, the kind of flu people normally suffer from every winter is like the difference beween cutting you finger to sawing your leg off.

Agree, had it 2 winters ago and it floored me for 5 days. Resisted NHS24 trying to hospitalise me after their housecall. I could barely cross the room, never mind go outside!

Julia
13-Oct-08, 23:50
I've had my flu jab last Friday, I was also offered the pneumococcal vaccination which I took too, my arms were a bit sore after that lot! :eek:

Anne x
13-Oct-08, 23:53
I got mine today hope it does not have the effect of last year

Whitewater
14-Oct-08, 00:00
I've been having the jab for several years now and I wasn't over 65 when I received my first 2 or 3. It's great, I can recommend it and having suffered severe bouts of flu over the years I can only concur with Jaws and Gollach. If you qualify for one make sure you get it.

Tilter
14-Oct-08, 00:03
I'm too young for it. It's not often I get a chance to say that, so just thought I'd say it.

Anne x
14-Oct-08, 00:05
I'm too young for it. It's not often I get a chance to say that, so just thought I'd say it.

Im no over 65 either a long way from it but my circumstances got me it

Tilter
14-Oct-08, 00:24
Im no over 65 either a long way from it but my circumstances got me it
Yes, I was reading the leaflet on it today and realise I'm fortunate not to have any of the conditions that would make me qualify.

Fran
14-Oct-08, 01:14
You are also entitled to the flu jab if you work with the elderly or sick.

Dorrie
14-Oct-08, 09:03
Age wise I'm not eligible, but was recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure :( and had my jab yesterday. :)

binbob
14-Oct-08, 10:31
unfortunaltly i dont quilify for one, but would like to have it as when i get the flu i get it proper and it floors me for ages.
u can have it done and pay for it...around £ 15,
well worth the money...i was landed with all of my medical issues after a bout of real flu 18 years ago.i wish i had paid to have it done then...
hope u either get the jab or are able to pay for it.

Tilter
14-Oct-08, 10:43
u can have it done and pay for it...around £ 15,
well worth the money..
Many thanks for the info binbob. I didn't realise that.

Angela
14-Oct-08, 11:57
I didn't think I'd be eligible - I'm not old enough - but have just phoned my health centre to find out if I could get the jab on health grounds, and good news! after some discussion they've decided that I can, so I've made an appointment for the next clinic. :)

Must admit I had been getting very anxious at the thought of being really poorly with flu, especially as I live alone, so that's a great weight off my mind. :)

binbob
14-Oct-08, 13:09
Many thanks for the info binbob. I didn't realise that.
happy to help...i know tha friends of mine have it done privately every year.
also boots used to offer it..but i am sure u can have it done privately at ur drs.

Bakerbhoy
14-Oct-08, 22:22
I have asthma so am entitled to the flu jab but had it once and have never been so ill. Had every infection going and the worst chest infection in years so swore I would never have it again.

golach
14-Oct-08, 22:26
I suffer from Asthma also, been having a Flu inoculation for some years now, no ill effects, no Flu either, and I got this years inoculation today, feel great.

Julia
14-Oct-08, 22:46
You are entitled to a free flu jab if you fall into any of the following categories...

Older people
All those 65 years and over.

People with serious medical conditions

All those aged six months or over who have the following medical conditions:

• Chronic respiratory disease
This includes diseases such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema and cystic fibrosis. It also includes severe asthma where the person requires continuous or repeated use of inhaled or systemic steroids or has been admitted to hospital because of their asthma. It is recommended that all children who have previously been admitted to hospital for lower respiratory tract disease should be immunised.

• Chronic heart disease
This includes diseases such as chronic ischaemic heart disease, congenital heart disease and hypertensive heart disease that require regular medication/and or follow-up and chronic heart failure.
• Chronic renal disease
This includes diseases such as nephrotic syndrome, chronic renal failure and renal transplantation.

• Diabetes mellitus requiring insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs, and diet controlled diabetes.

Immunosuppression due to disease or treatment
This includes people who have a damaged or no spleen and people who are on immunosuppressant
treatment or high doses of systemic steroids. HIV infected individuals.

• Chronic neurological disease
This includes people who have had a stroke and those who have transient ischaemic attacks.

GPs may also advise patients with chronic liver disease to have the flu vaccine

People living in residential care homes
Flu vaccine should be given to people living in long-stay residential care homes where flu is likely to spread very quickly and cause serious illness for many people living in the care home.
People who are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person

Flu vaccines may be given to people who are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person so that they can continue to look after that person. This should be given at the discretion of their GP.

Health and social care professionals
Health and social care staff directly involved in patient care should be immunised to reduce the spread of influenza to patients, including vulnerable patients who may not be able to respond well to their own immunisation, and also to other staff within health or social care premises.
Responsibility for occupational flu immunisation rests with the employer and should be provided through an occupational health service.

Poultry workers
Any individual who is working in close contact with poultry should be immunised to reduce their risk of contracting both human and avian influenza simultaneously.

Info taken from NHS Influenza Factsheet 2008

Fran
19-Oct-08, 03:36
I would advise you all to get this jab. i haVE HAD them for the past 3 years on medical grounds except last year when I had a chest infection so couldn't get it...and developed pneumonia.I beleive they do stop you from getting a really bad flu or worse.

Bobinovich
19-Oct-08, 21:42
I must admit I have been offered on renal grounds but have heard from a number of people who have had it that the jab itself has caused them problems, hence why I've resisted.

Really in 2 minds here - it takes a lot to get me down to the point where I can't work (am self-employed so time off is grudged!) but conversely I don't really want to find myself in the position where I am unable to :confused

Tristan
19-Oct-08, 21:45
I think there can/will be a reaction to the jab (your body does go through a response to the alien invader) but as bad as the jab may me think of getting the full virus. This is assuming they got the right strain for the jab.

BazzaG
20-Oct-08, 08:57
I didnt realise that being a carer i was entitled to get this for free, Now booked and getting it this wednesday

Alice in Blunderland
20-Oct-08, 17:04
All I can say is Hubby got his flu jab last week and since then we have had a mini dose of man flu :lol: :lol:.

It was no problem he only felt a lttle unwell but being ' a man ' his reaction was of course a little OTT.

It is better than getting a real dose of the flu.:(

Angela
20-Oct-08, 17:23
Oh, Alice, I'm due to have mine tomorrow and I'm starting to get very cold feet. Not about the actual jab, but about being ill as a result.

I know real flu and possible complications would be so much worse, and that's why I decided to ask for the jab, but I've been ill so much in recent years that I wonder if I'm doing the right thing bringing this upon myself, so to speak....:confused

Oh dear!:eek:

Torvaig
20-Oct-08, 18:01
Angela, as you know, I do understand but I can only go by my own experience last week. I had the 'flu and pneumococcal vacs and no ill effects whatsoever. I would like to think you will have no adverse reactions either.....:) Good luck!

hotrod4
20-Oct-08, 18:23
I am too young to get the jab, which is a pity.

There are 2 types of flu, woman flu and man flu.
Woman flu generally isnt that bad as the female can still function and its not as painful, but Man flu, well it completely floors you and makes even reaching for the remote very tricky.
HAve had Man flu many times (as well as 40oz flu) and speak from experience, I was so close to deaths door once that the wife even measured me up for my "goodbye suit".
But due to my masculine fighting spirit I soldiered on and 24 hrs later was in the pub with a nice cold beer [lol]

Angela
22-Oct-08, 09:39
Angela, as you know, I do understand but I can only go by my own experience last week. I had the 'flu and pneumococcal vacs and no ill effects whatsoever. I would like to think you will have no adverse reactions either.....:) Good luck!

Hi Torvaig,

I had the jabs yesterday -flu one in the left arm and pneumovax in the right.

There was quite a lengthy debate as to whether I should have it done as I'm allergic to some antibiotics, but the nurse finally decided to go ahead. I had to stay there for a wee while afterwards before going home in case I had an immediate bad reaction....

However!

Both arms are a bit sore, especially the right, giving me a great excuse to do no housework....can't even manage to lift a duster, lol! [lol]

Apart from that I feel just fine and I'm very glad I've had it done.:)

golach
22-Oct-08, 10:03
Hi Torvaig,

I had the jabs yesterday -flu one in the left arm and pneumovax in the right.

There was quite a lengthy debate as to whether I should have it done as I'm allergic to some antibiotics, but the nurse finally decided to go ahead. I had to stay there for a wee while afterwards before going home in case I had an immediate bad reaction....

However!

Both arms are a bit sore, especially the right, giving me a great excuse to do no housework....can't even manage to lift a duster, lol!

Apart from that I feel just fine and I'm very glad I've had it done.
Great news Angela, oh your a brave girl, and hope fully you will not catch flu this year. :)

Angela
22-Oct-08, 10:25
Great news Angela, oh your a brave girl, and hope fully you will not catch flu this year.

I didn't think I was brave, golach!

....unitl the nurse said 'sit here for a while....in case you go into anaphylactic shock' :eek:

I just had to reward myself with an extra large choccy bar afterwards. ;)

In Greece I remember having to have an injection for a bad stomach bug. Afterwards the doctor brought out a big tin of sweeties and we had one each, to get over the trauma lol! :lol:

Torvaig
22-Oct-08, 20:37
So glad you didn't have that anaphylactic thingy Angela; must have been a bit scary though when the nurse mentioned it....glad you're ok and yes, do not lift heavy things like dusters, dish mop etc., you can't be too careful! ;)

brandy
22-Oct-08, 20:44
thanks, will call in the morning to arrange mine and sams! diabetic and asthma! oh the joys!

percy toboggan
22-Oct-08, 21:01
My Doc mithers me to have them but I always decline the offer.
In my experience they tend to make people unwell - not in the mind - but physically.
People I am close to, hardy souls who rarely suffer illness (touching wood) have had flu like symptoms within a week or so of a jab - FOUR TIMES. (Including myself when I was a much younger, and fitter gadge)

I rely solely on my immune system...if that's not up to it then I'll settle for a week in bed. It's three years since I had a day off anyway, so I'm not doin' so bad. (reaching for the wood again)

I'm supposed to have diet-controlled diabetes but it's very borderline. The Doc gets a bonus for every diabetic on board. Am sceptical. The WHO moved the goal posts on diabetes a few years ago, why I'm not sure. Oh! and no, I've never been obese- not even fat!

binbob
22-Oct-08, 21:11
All I can say is Hubby got his flu jab last week and since then we have had a mini dose of man flu :lol: :lol:.

It was no problem he only felt a lttle unwell but being ' a man ' his reaction was of course a little OTT.

It is better than getting a real dose of the flu.:(
it is a medical,weel known fact that FLU JABS can not and do not give u flu of any description...sorry.

percy toboggan
22-Oct-08, 21:31
it is a medical,weel known fact that FLU JABS can not and do not give u flu of any description...sorry.

I'm sorry too , but this is rubbish...what do the vials of vaccine contain?

binbob
22-Oct-08, 21:37
I'm sorry too , but this is rubbish...what do the vials of vaccine contain?
percy..i knowu are an intelligent man.. check it out on google..

FLU VACCINES DO NOT CONTAIN ANY LIVE FLU VIRUS...honestly.

Tristan
22-Oct-08, 21:39
Dead flu cells do they not?
The flu jab won't give you flu but it does start a reaction in your body to learn how to fight flu-it does have the potential to make you feel ill or off for a few days.

percy toboggan
22-Oct-08, 21:51
percy..i knowu are an intelligent man.. check it out on google..

FLU VACCINES DO NOT CONTAIN ANY LIVE FLU VIRUS...honestly.

ER..that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me so far tonight I think - ta.
As for google - it's not the font of all knowledge tha'knows. I think Tristan has summed it up with his post above this one.

If we beg to differ binbob at least we ain't calling each other silly names - I thank thee for that. ;) - I'm sorry I used the 'rubbish' word.

Kevin Milkins
22-Oct-08, 22:33
I seem to be lucky with colds and flu as it does not seem to affect me,(hope I have not spoke too soon).:eek:

My late dad took advice to get his jab ,and it made him very poorly and vowed never to have it done again.:~(

On the strength of that I thought if it aint broke dont fix it.:confused

brandy
23-Oct-08, 00:02
normally healthy people do not need to get it. its just mainly for the people who are at risk.
people that if they were to get the flu, it would be a lot worse than just a few days feeling misreble and lying around in bed with a sore head,throat and fever achy bones ecetra..
for instance, take myself for example.. im a diabetic, when ever i get an infection my sugar shoots straight up. a simple 4 day i feel like death warmed over flu bug suddenly becomes life threatening.
think of the elderly whos immune systems are very weak, how many has the ability to not be killed out right by the flu.
we are so lucky that we have the choice of a vaccination!
it was only a few decades ago that entire towns were wiped out by the influenza.
i for one will get the jab, and get one for sam as well, as theirs no way im going to take a chance on watching him struggle to breathe, and choke and pant fighting the flu when i could have just made an app. and have him vacinated.
just my reasoning on the situation. obviously if you are not sickly and do not need it, then there you go.. but def. recommend getting it if you are vurnable to illness.

slinky
23-Oct-08, 03:19
be getting mine shortley no problem we it side effects etc i get it for having bad asthma all my life

binbob
23-Oct-08, 10:01
ER..that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me so far tonight I think - ta.
As for google - it's not the font of all knowledge tha'knows. I think Tristan has summed it up with his post above this one.

If we beg to differ binbob at least we ain't calling each other silly names - I thank thee for that. ;) - I'm sorry I used the 'rubbish' word.
ahh..thanks,percy...no problem..as i said..u are an intelligent gentleman.
i have had the flu jab every year for 18 years now and absolutely no problems .i know we are all different...:D