PDA

View Full Version : what is your earliest childhood memory

silverfox57
01-Oct-08, 18:59
Just a fun thread ,as i was speaking to my grandchild,who is 7 years old.i asked him did he remember the stories i told him about two years ago,he said he did not.this got me thinking what was my earliest memory in childhood.now in my late 50ths my earliest memory was when i was 5years old and going to the school with my brother,knowing people on here are all ages ,it would be interesting to know what age is your earliest childhood memories,

oldchemist
01-Oct-08, 19:21
Also late 50's - I remember starting school at 5yo. I also remember seeing what I think was the present Queen's coronation on a neighbour's TV - did we have TV in Caithness then?

daviddd
01-Oct-08, 19:59
I don't remember my first day at school, and my earliest recollection is of running away from school into the town and near a busy main road. I was 5 at the time.

Tighsonas4
01-Oct-08, 20:23
I don't remember my first day at school, and my earliest recollection is of running away from school into the town and near a busy main road. I was 5 at the time.
bad boys were on the go even then [lol] tony

Wellies
01-Oct-08, 22:20
Taking my grandad a cup of water. I was 2 1/2 when he died. I remember him, and him giving me a row when I got to close to the tractor.

Lolabelle
01-Oct-08, 23:38
I remember having a sore tongue and insisting my mum put a bandaid on it. She put a bandaid over my mouth. :eek: I was about 4.
I also remember starting school, I remember sitting on the mat and the teacher reading a story. But I don't remember the teacher's name.

scorrie
02-Oct-08, 00:28
I can remember the first time I had food that was not baby milk. I was only a few months old and sitting in a high chair facing the front window. My mum pushed a spoon into my mouth and, for the first time in my life, my taste buds exploded with the sensation of a flavour other than Ostermilk. I reckon it was the first time I had tasted anything "salty"

I also recall, quite clearly, my brother being born. My Dad burned fish fingers that day and I travelled in a taxi for the first time. We went to hospital to see my Mum and my new born brother. He didn't interest me, I was just glad to see my Mum and hoped that she would soon be home and Captain Birdseye's (Special Black Edition) was off the menu. I was 1 year and 364 days old on the second occasion.

jock leith
02-Oct-08, 09:26
My earliest memory was walking down Harrow Hill for my first day at the original South School which was at the corner of Kinnaird Street.:D JDL

Fluff
02-Oct-08, 11:21
I can remember mum taking my to the salvation army hall (I think it was pre-school) and running in like a maniac! I have a few memories of nursery school too but I think that must have come afterwards.

sassylass
02-Oct-08, 15:18
I can remember the first time I had food that was not baby milk. I was only a few months old and sitting in a high chair facing the front window. My mum pushed a spoon into my mouth and, for the first time in my life, my taste buds exploded with the sensation of a flavour other than Ostermilk. I reckon it was the first time I had tasted anything "salty"

I also recall, quite clearly, my brother being born. My Dad burned fish fingers that day and I travelled in a taxi for the first time. We went to hospital to see my Mum and my new born brother. He didn't interest me, I was just glad to see my Mum and hoped that she would soon be home and Captain Birdseye's (Special Black Edition) was off the menu. I was 1 year and 364 days old on the second occasion.

Can you really remember your first taste of solid food? That's fascinating. Do you remember what it was and was it good? Did you become a "foodie"?

scorrie
02-Oct-08, 18:20
Can you really remember your first taste of solid food? That's fascinating. Do you remember what it was and was it good? Did you become a "foodie"?

Several people have doubted that I can remember so far back but it is absolutely true. My memory in general is very good and certain events from many years ago are as fresh in my mind as if they had occurred yesterday.

Not that I was aware of it at the time, my first real food was Heinz Bacon and Egg Breakfast baby food. Years later my Mum would recall that I had favoured that variety, and a beef flavoured one, over the other recipes she fed me. She also confessed that she had put crushed rusks in my bottle when I was only a few days old, as I would not settle on milk alone.

I wouldn't say I was a foodie. I take very little veg and dine mostly on meat and carbs.

I can also remember being put out into the back garden in my pram and being aware that I was not inside the house. The air was fresher and the sounds were different.

silverfox57
02-Oct-08, 19:02

this is why posted thread as have read of very young babies having clear memorys at so young age,:lol: and can still remember it in later life.

scorrie
02-Oct-08, 19:09
this is why posted thread as have read of very young babies having clear memorys at so young age,:lol:

PS, I am in my 40's, so it wasn't yesterday!!

purplelady
02-Oct-08, 20:16
mine is being a kent lass being on the hop fields with my mum could not have been much older that 3 or 4

bobandag16
02-Oct-08, 20:29
Just a fun thread ,as i was speaking to my grandchild,who is 7 years old.i asked him did he remember the stories i told him about two years ago,he said he did not.this got me thinking what was my earliest memory in childhood.now in my late 50ths my earliest memory was when i was 5years old and going to the school with my brother,knowing people on here are all ages ,it would be interesting to know what age is your earliest childhood memories,
no one belief i remember in a pram in some one else house for feeding . next memory is school 5 jam sandwich in pocket for lunch . lined up to sing god save the king empire day . iam now 88 is tomorrow friday?:cool:

bobandag16
02-Oct-08, 20:33
mine is being a kent lass being on the hop fields with my mum could not have been much older that 3 or 4
we came from peckham our only holiday working great times could not wait to be grow up for the knees up.

rockchick
02-Oct-08, 20:38
I remember going to the hospital with my dad to pick up my mom and my brand new baby brother, John. I remember mom coming into the car, and my brother's wee face was covered with a blanket, and getting my mom to lift the blanket to get a wee peep at his red cherub face. I would have been 1 year and 8 months old.

Tighsonas4
02-Oct-08, 20:41
no one belief i remember in a pram in some one else house for feeding . next memory is school 5 jam sandwich in pocket for lunch . lined up to sing god save the king empire day . iam now 88 is tomorrow friday?:cool:
good for yourself keep it up best regards tony

Melancholy Man
02-Oct-08, 21:56
I was naked, and hanging upside down unable to breathe. Someone smacked me.

You are Laurie Lee, and I claim my five pounds!

percy toboggan
02-Oct-08, 22:08
lying in my pram on my back with a fringed sunshade thing over me. I've since been told I'd have been merely months old. Everything else is a blank until about five.

highlander
02-Oct-08, 22:20
When i was a wee bairn in the cot, i remember my older brother playing and pulling my arm, all i remember was him running away crying. It was not untill later year's my mum was having a laugh with an aunt and was telling her how my brother had come running to her very upset because he thought he had pulled off my arm, u see it was in a cast. lol

gleeber
02-Oct-08, 22:44
I was 2. When I looked out the window in the morning the circus was in Gillock park. Robert Brothers circus. I remember the lions and Sydney the boxing kangaroo.

scorrie
03-Oct-08, 01:50
I was naked, and hanging upside down unable to breathe. Someone smacked me.

Bull Plop Melancholy Man. You are simply referring to the same party that I was at in Soho, TWO WEEKS AGO!!

If you can't remember further back than that, you are in a bad way. Have you tried Sudoku to improve your memory?

the second coming
03-Oct-08, 08:20
I remember being just over 3 and first ever memory was a sitting on the grass in the front garden listening to a grader driver through the hedge swearing his head off and me giggling. I think they were putting a proper track past the hoose and it was summer.

Just as well I never picked up any of the bad words..:roll:

I got most of my vivid memories from just after that period, playgoroup, sledging, exploring but my favourite is my grandad taking me fishing and catching my very first fish. He died when I'd just turned 4 and it was the summer before that. It was a fine fish too.

Great thread by the way.

honey
03-Oct-08, 08:23
getting in trouble from my teacher at mount pleassant nursery cause i would sit down. I know i was upset about something, but cant remember what.

i have vivid recollections of a dream i had before that too.... but dont know how old i was.

Anji
03-Oct-08, 16:14
I remember my mother lying in bed ill because she'd just had all her teeth taken out. I wasn't very sympathetic - just glad that my auntie had come down from Orkney to look after us all and she'd brought my cousins with her. I was three years old, and thought it was great having my cousins to play with.

teenybash
03-Oct-08, 22:11
I remeber my mother loved Toasted coconut which was sold in a little clear bag and looked like tobacco. I was around three and decided I would like some of my own...promptly pinched one of my dads Woodbines and proceeded to try and eat it while hiding behind the curtain..............I was found with my tongue poking out with a heap of tobacco perched on it....which definately did not taste very nice at all.[disgust]

northener
03-Oct-08, 22:35
Sat in a little tin police pedal car outside the house I was born in. We moved from that house when I was 4, so I must have been quite young.

I remember the first day at primary school, chasing a new friend around the 'big' (!) chairs, I slipped and hit my chin on the plywood edge of the backrest.
Went home covered in blood and with a scar I still have 43 years later.....didn't cry, though.

It's all a blur after that.

bluebell
04-Oct-08, 00:57
Getting the ruler across my knuckles in North School:eek: I probably deserved it[evil]

htwood
04-Oct-08, 04:41
I remember my older sister carrying me on her hip, and her bouncing me to make me laugh. I was probably 18 months old. and my mother wrapping my thumbs in bandages so I couldnt suck my thumb anymore. Also being angry at being made to wear a sun bonnet and finally managing to pull one of the bonnet strings free and throwing the whole thing on the grass.
On my 3rd birthday there was a thunderstorm and my dad was holding me up to the window to see the lightning, then a huge flash close by and the thunder shook the window, and I've been terrified of thunderstorms ever since. My mother always said, surely I could never remember these things, but I do, and even more things and even younger.
Interesting thread, I wonder how I will sleep tonight, so many memories coming back.