PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters, planes, more helicopters

dortmunder
30-Sep-08, 22:32
It seems to me that there's a constant drone of air traffic in the skies above Wick. Especially helicopters making their way (as far as I can tell) across Newton and towards the Thrumster area. Where are they going and what are they doing?

golach
30-Sep-08, 22:42
There is a Military Exercise staring in your area

http://www.mod.uk/defenceinternet/defencenews/trainingandadventure/scotlandpreparesforjointwarrior.htm

Melancholy Man
30-Sep-08, 22:43
Water drops on a house fire at nearby Thumbsupster? The Freeview mast?

There were several aeroplanes at 1-2,000 feet over Thurso tonight.

highlander
30-Sep-08, 22:50
I understand they have to have thier exercises, and do low flying but today the jets went over so low our poor dog shep was howling like a banshee and nearly doing back flips he was so scared with it being so loud.

northener
01-Oct-08, 08:37
Water drops on a house fire at nearby Thumbsupster? The Freeview mast?

There were several aeroplanes at 1-2,000 feet over Thurso tonight.

There was a big twin turboprop that was very low and slow this evening.

I saw it over Barrock/Greenland heading towards Thurso at 21:15. I'd say its height was around 500ft, possibly lower - no more. As it approached Thurso it began to climb very, very slowly - which would fit in with what you saw MM.

Put it this way, I stopped the car next to the old Castletown airfield and got out to watch it as it looked such an odd thing to do.

muffin
01-Oct-08, 11:37
I love to see the RAF in action, they regularly fly low over here, both jets and transport planes, we saw what was either a spitfire or hurricane a couple of weeks ago, I always rush out to see them when they are close.

AfternoonDelight
01-Oct-08, 11:45
So so I, Muffin! I love seeing a jet on the horizon and waiting for the BOOM that follows! It's great how something so big and destructive can be so beautiful...

sjr014
01-Oct-08, 12:55
Yeah me 2 would absolutely love a shot in 1! Would love to be really high and then drop really low the way they do and turn upside down! What a rush that must be!

wifie
01-Oct-08, 16:01
Was half way up the A9 between Perth and Inverness last night about 5.30pm/6pm and a four prop plane (dunno correct terminology) was flying just above the trees it looked like, it banked and disappeared from my view (I was driving) was good to see tho. Love watchin planes, esp the jets. I too would love to go up in one - what a blast that would be! :D

MadPict
01-Oct-08, 16:33
Low flying helicopters are a form of brain washing experiment by the wind energy companies - they figure that if the local populace gets used to low flying noisy choppers then a few wind farms will go unnoticed....

nightspirit
01-Oct-08, 16:54
Wifie - the plain you saw would probably have been a c-130 herculease or the other larg RAF cargo plane( cannie remember it right now)

davem
01-Oct-08, 18:15
Was it a galaxy?

northener
01-Oct-08, 18:50
Regarding the plane I saw/heard last night:

I really am getting slow on the uptake..it wasn't a twin turbo prop at all...it was a C130.

mallster
01-Oct-08, 19:42
The helicopters are bond helicopters making for aberdeen

MileHigh
01-Oct-08, 21:27
The Helicopters are up here doing training Exercises at Wick Airport, Circuits and Low apporach and go arounds etc . Aberdeen tends to be very Busy with Traffic and so it is difficult for helicopters to Practice there. Also the Landing fees at Wick will be much cheaper than what BAA Aberdeen Charge I would think.