PDA

View Full Version : Smoke detector has just saved our bacon.

Rheghead
30-Sep-08, 20:49
We've just had a near fire in the house. The dryer caught fire inside and set off the alarm, had it not then it might have been serious and we wouldn't have known about it. Luckily the detector was right above the dryer but the house is full of smoke now cos muggins stupidly opened the door of the dryer.:roll: Bairn slept right through the drama.

The reason for this post is that I want each and everyone of you to check your smoke detectors now or get one tomorrow.

balto
30-Sep-08, 20:52
We've just had a near fire in the house. The dryer caught fire inside and set off the alarm, had it not then it might have been serious and we wouldn't have known about it. Luckily the detector was right above the dryer but the house is full of smoke now cos muggins stupidly opened the door of the dryer.:roll: Bairn slept right through the drama.

The reason for this post is that I want each and everyone of you to check your smoke detectors now or get one tomorrow.
only glad it wasnt any worse for you or your family, we have 2 smolke detectors and a heat detector in our kitchen,and when i am cooking they all get a good workout lol, no seriously i am not that bad but they all work.

just glad you are ok.

missmillie
30-Sep-08, 20:53
phew that was a close call then!! glad everything was ok! mine is for sure working! it goes off at everything!

Jill
30-Sep-08, 20:58
Blimey! Glad you are all ok.

NickInTheNorth
30-Sep-08, 20:59

I'm very pleased to hear that all is OK, glad you have alarms installed too.

Ours are working well, and have just been checked.

Sound advice, which I too hope others heed.

Isn't it amazing what kids can sleep through :D

Bad Manners
30-Sep-08, 21:04
Glad you are all ok it goes to show how easy things could have been different if you had not had then. Anyone reading this and does not have at least one should give thought to their own saftey.

Kathy@watten
30-Sep-08, 21:26
Having seen the new ad on the telly about getting your finger out to check your alarms I hoovered all mine today and gave them a poke to check them, glad yours were ok as this could have had disasterous concequences otherwise, note to self don't bung on tumbler before bed it would be easy to sleep through the house burning down. Thoughts must be with the poor family who's Mum died rescuing her bairns in Killwinning, hopefully her kids will be ok after the accident, but what a sacrifice to pay, what a brave woman! Fire is a terrible thing in a home and not worth the risk....think there will be lots of folk pulling their fingers out tonight!

Tristan
30-Sep-08, 21:32

Glad you and yours are OK. Do you know what caused the fire? Lint in the hose? a short?

helenwyler
30-Sep-08, 21:37
So glad you're all OK Reggers! What a horrible experience.

Thanks for the reminder too....it's so easy not to expect the the unexpected :eek:.

wee sparkle
30-Sep-08, 21:40
Its so good to hear that you're all alright!

No chance of me sleeping through a fire, my room is at the bottom of a very short corridor with TWO fire alarms, why two i dont know, but i know that that's more than enough to wake me from my beauty sleep!:lol:

rfr10
30-Sep-08, 21:41
Unfortunately, when ours goes off, it usually means there is something burning on the cooker! - or should that be fortunately...

Melancholy Man
30-Sep-08, 21:42
The dryer caught fire inside and set off the alarm,

You live onboard the Cutty Sark (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7643420.stm)?

jings00
30-Sep-08, 21:51
Blimey! Glad you are all ok.

aye, my sentiments exactly

KCI
30-Sep-08, 22:00
Glad you are all OK.
Good reminder for everyone to check theirs, to make sure everything is in working order.

scorrie
30-Sep-08, 22:05

Lucky escape Rheghead.

Sadly, as you can see from the photo, OUR bacon bit the dust!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/flamingbacon.jpg

Ruddy, Tesco, Cheap-Johnny Smoke Alarms!!

Margaret M.
30-Sep-08, 22:09
Wow, Rheggers, glad everything is OK. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are well worth the money and effort.

highlander
30-Sep-08, 22:10
So glad to read you and your family are ok. I remember years ago reading that a tumble dryer when up on fire as the woman had put tights in it, since then i have never left my tumble dryer or washing machine on when i leave the house.

Liz
30-Sep-08, 22:32
So glad to read you and your family are ok. I remember years ago reading that a tumble dryer when up on fire as the woman had put tights in it, since then i have never left my tumble dryer or washing machine on when i leave the house.

I have never left either of these on when out of the house either since our washing machine caught fire!:eek:

So glad that you and your family are okay Rheggers. I bet there will be a lot of smoke alarms beeping in Caithness tonight!

lynne duncan
30-Sep-08, 22:38
ours are wired to the mains supply but with the town power cut last night i think the back up batteries failed, meant to check them today but forgot this will remind me to do it tomorrow
glad your all okay rheghead

Angela
30-Sep-08, 22:42
So glad to hear you're all OK, Rheghead. :)

I saw the ad on TV last night -finally got my finger out and checked my alarms!

Carbon monoxide alarms can be life savers too - but again they do need to be checked regularly.

golach
30-Sep-08, 22:53
Hows the wee one Rheg?

Elenna
30-Sep-08, 23:15
Glad to hear you're all safe, Rheghead. It must have been a nasty scare, though!

Yes, our detectors are all in proper working order...because of the B&B, we check them monthly and keep a record. Though we always know the one in the front hall is working, cos it goes off if Saltire leaves the sausages on the grill too long! (We call it the 'Breakfast is nearly ready alarm' lol )

binbob
01-Oct-08, 11:45
so glad u are all safe and well.

cuddlepop
01-Oct-08, 17:24
Glad your all ok,you must have got such a fright.

Unfortunatly when the said same thing happened to a friends dryer the whole kitchen and part of the living room was destroyed,luckily they werent in.

Really careful about using all electical appliances now.:eek:

Sporran
01-Oct-08, 17:44
Glad to hear you and your family are OK Rheggers, and thanks for the warning!

Rheghead
01-Oct-08, 18:05
Thank you everyone for all the kind messages. I went down to Graham Begg's to get another Creda. That last one lasted a good 12 years so should be good enough. I took the back off the old one and the build up of fluff had caught alight around the main bearings. What a mess it was inside, the fluff filter on this new one looks a better design all round so hopefully the problem won't happen again.:)

And this was rather prophetic...I remember them now saying that I should have a detector near to the tumble drier.

Fire Inspections for Caithness Folk (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=216389&postcount=1)

George Brims
01-Oct-08, 20:41
Over here in the US they always recommend you check your smoke alarms when the clocks change in spring and autumn. I am not sure why, as the smoke detectors always start an intermittent beep when the battery gets low. This also reminds me I need to buy CO detectors.

Lolabelle
01-Oct-08, 23:30
We don't have any, but you have spurred me into changing that. But I do have 2 dogs that sleep inside and during the colder weather I put some wet wood on the top of the wood heater to dry out, the dogs started whinging during the night and I got up to discover that the house had a really funny smell. I took the wood off the top of the heater and threw it in and it blew up! Apparently the oil/sap in the wood heated up, I don't know if it would have ignited from just heating up on the top of the heater, but I won't be doing that again! :eek:
Rheg, I am really glad that you and your's are all fine, it's a terrible shock when something like that happens and you think of what could have happened. Last year my sister and her family came over for dinner and went they went home their smoke alarm was going off. My BIL had accidently turned on a hot plate on the stove as they left and a manufactured timber cutting board was over it. The fumes in thier house were so toxic that the whole place was unhabitable. They had to stay in our caravan for a bit until we de-stunk the place. You can never be too careful.

Welcomefamily
01-Oct-08, 23:42
I try to check our alarms every month and carbon mono detector. Glad to hear you are all OK.

Hope ur not a secret smoker.

JAWS
01-Oct-08, 23:58
But Rheghead, I like smoked Bacon.
I take it from your post at teatime that you are all still OK. At least it only cost you a new dryer when it could have been much worse. I wouldn’t fancy having to live in a tent at this time of year, having frozen ears when you are trying to sleep ain’t much fun.
I take it from your posts that there isn't much smoke damage because when that happens the stink takes forever to go away.

Ricco
03-Oct-08, 20:57
Gald you are all OK, Rheghead. We have two and I check 'em every month. Alwasy keep a spare battery as well.

percy toboggan
03-Oct-08, 21:04
Glad you survived to tell this cautionary tale Rheghead.
MEanwhile, my washing machine ha spacked up - Baumatic...Italian for Rubbish!
Bosch on the morrow.

Tristan
04-Oct-08, 16:46
Found a new way to test the smoke alarms ... let the kids do the cooking![lol]