PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Regeneration Conference

AfternoonDelight
30-Sep-08, 13:20
I was at this in Thurso yesterday and I must say it was a great success. Alex salmond spoke animatedly and positively about the possibilities for the county and the workshops were informative and interesting.

There was also an exhibition in the college by local businesses and a lot of work had gone into the whole day.

I left with a feeling of optimism about Caithness and felt reinvigorated about where we can go post Dounreay. Certainly it's not going to be easy but I think with the determination of the people and the skills and intelligence we undoubtedly have we can look to the future with a positive attitude.

One thing that was hardly mentioned, however, was this - if we are to keep young people from leaving the county and furthermore, attract new blood, we must make sure we have the infrastructure to do so. That includes transport links, education and culture, good town centres, etc. It's all very well creating jobs but people need leisure facilities, things to do outwith work and at the moment there is a dearth of things to do.

Let's make Caithness an exciting place to work but also an exciting place to LIVE...you can't have one without the other. And don't ask me where the money is going to come from because I don't know, but surely we can make the investment if we are going to get the benefits throught the development in the Firth?

sweetpea
30-Sep-08, 13:38
I was at this in Thurso yesterday and I must say it was a great success. Alex salmond spoke animatedly and positively about the possibilities for the county and the workshops were informative and interesting.

There was also an exhibition in the college by local businesses and a lot of work had gone into the whole day.

I left with a feeling of optimism about Caithness and felt reinvigorated about where we can go post Dounreay. Certainly it's not going to be easy but I think with the determination of the people and the skills and intelligence we undoubtedly have we can look to the future with a positive attitude.

One thing that was hardly mentioned, however, was this - if we are to keep young people from leaving the county and furthermore, attract new blood, we must make sure we have the infrastructure to do so. That includes transport links, education and culture, good town centres, etc. It's all very well creating jobs but people need leisure facilities, things to do outwith work and at the moment there is a dearth of things to do.

Let's make Caithness an exciting place to work but also an exciting place to LIVE...you can't have one without the other. And don't ask me where the money is going to come from because I don't know, but surely we can make the investment if we are going to get the benefits throught the development in the Firth?

There was a youth one going on at the same time with delegates from schools, college students, youth groups etc. A few of them were sent up in the afternoon to report back and John Thurso and Jamie Stone came in and spoke. It was good to see the youth of Caithness being asked their opinions. It would have been great if Alex Salmond had dropped in on them. It's the first time young people have been consulted on the regeneration so let's hope it becomes a regular conference.

AfternoonDelight
30-Sep-08, 13:45
Absolutely agree, sweetpea. These youngsters are the future of the county and their opinions matter...

Angel
30-Sep-08, 22:58
I found out these events by accident... I went along to the college and asked at the reception what was happening in the 'main hall' she didn't know so I just walked in... the first person I met from the HIE I asked "how has this event been advertised" reply was "don't know. but heres a card"...

The biggest problem I find up here is poor comunication...

Angel

Torvaig
30-Sep-08, 23:47
There is actually a piece about it on the front page of the org under the 27th Sept., with a link to what it was all about. ;)

Angel
01-Oct-08, 22:20
Thank-you for that Torvaig... I should have known...

Angel

Torvaig
01-Oct-08, 23:36
Ah, the good ol' org; nothing much gets past it! ;)