PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining Scorrie.

cuddlepop
29-Sep-08, 20:07
well we've had scorrie for almost two weeks and he's a right handful.
Our other wee doggy is shattered with all the walking we've been doing but Scorrie still wants more.
When he arrived home he was brilliant but now he's started to chew.With him being almost 7 months surely he should have out grown this stage.?

Have bought him numerous toys,the latest plastic sausages on a rope.This had to be confided to the garden as everything and everyone was being hit.:(

Whats the best toy you've bought your dog ?:D

Liz
29-Sep-08, 20:20
Sorry to hear that Scorre is running you all ragged, What kinds of things is he chewing? If it's furniture I would try putting a few drops of Olbas Oil on it as they don't like the smell. This stopped Benjy when nothing else would.

Re him being a bit 'hyper' you should check his diet as colourings etc can affect this.

Benjy was a real handful until I changed him to Naturediet. I told someone else about it who had a collie who was hyper and when he changed to Naturediet he couldn't believe the difference!

I know that if Benjy gets anything with colourings he goes doolally!

As for toys, Benjy only likes toys which makes some kind of noise. I got a fluffy duck one out of Pets At Home and he just loves it.

Kongs are great as well as you can stuff them with food.

unicorn
29-Sep-08, 20:34
Kongs are brilliant and pretty much indestructable :lol: just watch your toes when they drop them for you ouch :lol:

Kathy@watten
29-Sep-08, 20:39
Oh dear chewing is a problem! fill a old milk carton with treats and put a small hole on it and he can amuse himself getting them out, the kong also can be filled with pate stuff to amuse teeth! and you can get bitter apple stuff for your precious items that are at doggy level and perhaps a doggy house/cage would help in the interim so he learns to have some down time! He sounds to be a bit of a loveable rogue hope all settles down and he gets into a routine with you and remember he is still a big silly puppy...oh he is a collie they are that till they die! good luck keep us posted!

unicorn
29-Sep-08, 20:43
My boxer didn't start chewing until about that age.

teenybash
29-Sep-08, 21:04
Scorrie sounds like a typical madcap beardie...I had one till he was 15 years old....and he never was anythingelse but, a fun loving big puppy dog.
He would fly like the wind when out for a walk and liked nothing better than a good romp with the other dogs.....they would end up exhausted and he still was full of verve.
The chewing is probably down to his teething as he is still young. Might be an idea to take him along to some doggy training classes as well as all the other advice. He will settle into your routine as it is early days and he will give you a life time of love, laughter and joy .... post some pics soooooon!!!!:Razz

dousslesh
29-Sep-08, 21:23
Liz, re Benji's fluffy duck from Pets at Home . Does it have a battery operated squeak ? Our Benji ( Yes we have a Benji too! ) had one from Pets at Home for Xmas; unfortunately within a few minutes he had managed to dislodge a tiny battery and was on the verge of swallowing it .
We contacted Pets at Home who sent a very nice letter saying they would investigate with the supplier but despite my following up with them and the supplier the toy is STILL on sale. Trading standards no help either as apparently animal toys etc are not covered by any consumer or safety legislation!
Of course if Benji's Duck does not have batteries it's probably advisable to ignore this message !!!

cuddlepop
29-Sep-08, 22:20
thank you for all your replys.
so far he's chewed the rubber seal round the back door,the skirting joining the door frame to wall and worst of all the wiring for the heated screen in the cars back window.
He was a wee angel on the way home so we thought he'd be fine in the car but he's managed to wreck the heated screen.:~(

I couldnt put him in a cage as I just dont like cages.Oh had a real doggy wrestle with him this afternoon and strangly eneogh that seems to have helped.

Beardies just seem to have that extra helping of energy that collies have and with a cross a shouldnt have been so suprised.

Will try the milk carton trick Kathy as doggy toys are so expensive.

he's on dry dog food from Lidils as that agrees with his tummy.:)

Liz
29-Sep-08, 22:33
Liz, re Benji's fluffy duck from Pets at Home . Does it have a battery operated squeak ? Our Benji ( Yes we have a Benji too! ) had one from Pets at Home for Xmas; unfortunately within a few minutes he had managed to dislodge a tiny battery and was on the verge of swallowing it .
We contacted Pets at Home who sent a very nice letter saying they would investigate with the supplier but despite my following up with them and the supplier the toy is STILL on sale. Trading standards no help either as apparently animal toys etc are not covered by any consumer or safety legislation!
Of course if Benji's Duck does not have batteries it's probably advisable to ignore this message !!!

I think I remember you posting something about this? It is a good job you got the battery before Benji got it!:eek: I am surprised they are still selling it.

No, my Benjy's duck doesn't have batteries but I always check his toys as he has a habit of biting off the stitching if he can. His barking is bad enough without him squeaking as well!

Thanks for the warning though.

balto
30-Sep-08, 13:01
he sounds just like my 2 year old lol, nothing but trouble, but loveable.

binbob
30-Sep-08, 14:42
thank you for all your replys.
so far he's chewed the rubber seal round the back door,the skirting joining the door frame to wall and worst of all the wiring for the heated screen in the cars back window.
He was a wee angel on the way home so we thought he'd be fine in the car but he's managed to wreck the heated screen.:~(

I couldnt put him in a cage as I just dont like cages.Oh had a real doggy wrestle with him this afternoon and strangly eneogh that seems to have helped.

Beardies just seem to have that extra helping of energy that collies have and with a cross a shouldnt have been so suprised.

Will try the milk carton trick Kathy as doggy toys are so expensive.

he's on dry dog food from Lidils as that agrees with his tummy.:)

i can understand ur reservations about cages..but i used one for all of my dogs ...put them in it at bedtime[in my room] and when i went out and still use a cage in the car.much safer..
i also used to think that cages were not for my dogs,but they loved them as security.they do have to be used SENSIBLY ,not as a punishment or to give u free time.
as such my house has had no damage at all ...my basset was in her cage at bedtime until we moved here last sept. she loved it and actually MISSED it.
i do hope benjy settles ,but he is a very young puppy still.hard work ,but great rewards.best wishes..