PDA

View Full Version : to the owners of the St Bernard that attacked my dog

maidencaithness
29-Sep-08, 19:54
I would just like to say if you do read this and it was your dog that attacked mine last night in Castletown he is all right now, his neck stopped bleeding about eight o clock last night and by the way my two terrified children did eventually calm down, "it was very nice of you to apologise and check they were all right!" a simple apology costs nothing!

Ash
29-Sep-08, 19:55
I would just like to say if you do read this and it was your dog that attacked mine last night in Castletown he is all right now, his neck stopped bleeding about eight o clock last night and by the way my two terrified children did eventually calm down, "it was very nice of you to apologise and check they were all right!" a simple apology costs nothing!

oh my.... i hope ur ok... and of course ur dog
i know from experience how cruel people can be

thinking of you all

changilass
29-Sep-08, 19:57
Hope the kids and your dog are ok, its gonna be a while for all of them to get over their trauma, didn't know there was a st bernard in castletown, but will be sure to watch out for him when we are out with the bear.

justine
29-Sep-08, 20:04
jesus, that must have been a shock seeing amonster like that coming at you, no wonder your kids were upset. Hope your dog is healing and doing ok from his ordeal.

My parents had one when i was a kid, Rocky, and he was massive.These owners could have been more thoughtfull towards you after the event..

unicorn
29-Sep-08, 20:36
did you report it to the police, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to.

Nibbler
29-Sep-08, 20:37
To be honest, I didnt think a St Bernard would have the temperament to carry out an attack but just goes to show you. You never know.

The owners should have had the decency to check you (humans and canine) were okay. Dog owners I have met, I believe would have checked, and probably left a contact number should a vet have been required.

I hope your dogs' neck heals okay and that there are no lasting scars - pyhsical or mental (and, again, both for human and canine).

This is not good and Castletown is a small community as well.

unicorn
29-Sep-08, 20:41
I met a St Bernard that was rehomed to an experienced rescuer with his mum both had been trained as attack dogs by a drug dealer and he had to give up in the end after they just couldn't be controlled with other people or dogs, he also rescued ex racing greyhounds and said had the St Bernards gotten near the gryhounds they would have ripped them apart. So they can be trained to be bad dogs just as any dog can but are so huge a bad one is deadly.

teenybash
29-Sep-08, 21:10
St Bernards are the last breed you would think of when it comes to attacking. Bred for their stamina and willingness to help and protect.
Hope your dog is okay and especially the children who must have been terrified ...poor wee souls.

Julia
29-Sep-08, 21:31
You must report it to the Police, lucky it went for your dog instead of one of your children! I hope you dog and kids recover soon.

The dog that bit my boy's dad is still having it's usual walkies on George Street, that owner never apologised either nor did she seem concerned, her dog left teeth marks in his jacket!

Melancholy Man
29-Sep-08, 21:34
I'm unclear, did the owners apologize and show remorse?

As an aside, Berry (http://www.nmbe.ch/deutsch/531_5_1_9.html), the most famous St Bernard, saved 40 lives between 1812-4. The 41st prospective savee, shot and killed him. Thought he was a wolf.

ciggietime
29-Sep-08, 21:54
Not nice when another dog goes for yours (or, for that matter, when your own decides it takes a dislike to another dog).

Down here in wee England (shortly moving to Caithness), I too would be inclined to hot foot it down to the old bill station but they may not be interested. Not sure if the Animal Act (1974?) applies in Scotland but I'm sure you have a Scottish version of the Dangerous Dogs Act.

Are you insured? Have your insurance company given any advice (they might be keen on recuperating some of their costs). Perhaps the vet might know of the owner (but would they be willing to give you the details given the Data Protection Act?)

I hope your dog recovers soon but would try and take steps to ascertain to whom the mutt belongs (perhaps the local Council dog warden could assist?) and sue the living pants off the gits via their (hopefully) either dog insurance or the public liabilty section of their home insurance policy.

Good luck.

"Housework doesn't kill but why take the risk?"

Mik.M.
29-Sep-08, 22:03
Not nice when another dog goes for yours (or, for that matter, when your own decides it takes a dislike to another dog).

Down here in wee England (shortly moving to Caithness), I too would be inclined to hot foot it down to the old bill station but they may not be interested. Not sure if the Animal Act (1974?) applies in Scotland but I'm sure you have a Scottish version of the Dangerous Dogs Act.

Are you insured? Have your insurance company given any advice (they might be keen on recuperating some of their costs). Perhaps the vet might know of the owner (but would they be willing to give you the details given the Data Protection Act?)

I hope your dog recovers soon but would try and take steps to ascertain to whom the mutt belongs (perhaps the local Council dog warden could assist?) and sue the living pants off the gits via their (hopefully) either dog insurance or the public liabilty section of their home insurance policy.

Good luck.

"Housework doesn't kill but why take the risk?"
The dog warden is of no use,contacted her over a problem,she wanted me to take photos because she doesn`t work outside office hours.

JAWS
29-Sep-08, 22:51
There is one thought, St Bernards are not all that common and, to say the least, are not a dog you could hide rather easily. Having said that, there is always the possibility that the owner/dog is not local and has disappeared into the wide blue yonder.

I too hope your both your dog and your children recover without too many lasting problems.

maidencaithness
30-Sep-08, 07:28
My dog is fine now just a small cut on his neck but it bled for a long time, both dogs were on leads,it probably only lasted seconds but all I could hear was my children screaming hysterically, I have met this couple before with their dog so stood still so they could pass me and kept my dog against the fence, their dog pulled the man right across the path and it launched straight onto his neck, I know dogs can be unpredictable but even if they had checked everything was all right but to just walk away.

trinkie
30-Sep-08, 07:32
I am so sorry to hear of this dog attack, and do hope your children and dog are recovering.

Was the offending dog on a lead? What are the rules regarding dogs in public places?

regards
Trinkie

porshiepoo
30-Sep-08, 09:16
My dog is fine now just a small cut on his neck but it bled for a long time, both dogs were on leads,it probably only lasted seconds but all I could hear was my children screaming hysterically, I have met this couple before with their dog so stood still so they could pass me and kept my dog against the fence, their dog pulled the man right across the path and it launched straight onto his neck, I know dogs can be unpredictable but even if they had checked everything was all right but to just walk away.

I understand your terror and upset, however in the circumstances I think the owners probably did the right thing by walking away. You wouldn't have managed to have a conversation with the dogs in that mode, it would have been best to get them completely away.
Having said that, if there was more than one person walking the dog, the spare person could have and should have stayed and made sure your dog and children were OK. If there was just the one person, I'm sure a shouted apology and / or an address could have been given whilst making their hasty retreat.
I think the problem nowadays is that the fear of consequences and a possible destruction of their pet almost makes people less helpful and sympathetic when their animals show such behaviour.

I really do hope that your dog recovers and that you and your kids show no lasting mental scars.
Get back out there would be my advice, but be very aware the next time you come across any dog that you do not somehow transmit your fear of this incident to your dog as your problems will just escalate from that point on.
Unfortunately for you it doesn't look as though you will get any kind of apology from the dogs owner, who at the very least should be offering to pay for any necessary vet bills.