PDA

View Full Version : Its no yolk.

justine
29-Sep-08, 18:07
Well going to the hospital for kids appointment and came across a well known mag, New scientist.
Now reading this i came across this story, headed,

"How far off is reproduction between same sex couples".

Well apparently not that far.There are several labs across the world that are trying to produce a male egg and a female sperm.If these experiments work this will allow gay couples to have children of their own, geneticaly that is.The plan is to make sperm from human stem cells, and he (Karim Nayernia) stem cells expert says he has already gone half way to mastering female sperm from bone marrow.
Now the argument about whether same sex couples should be allowed to have kids has been argued over for decades, but could this be going to far.
Many problems arise from this noticiably the fact that the male sperm determines xx or xy, and i dont think they will be able to produce male eggs or female sperm that will gives us a perfectly healthy baby.

What is this world coming to, playing with mother nature just to better the techniques of scientists...:eek::confused

AfternoonDelight
30-Sep-08, 11:59
[lol] Like the title, Justine! Seriously though - I can see how this might be a contentious issue for a lot of people... Scientists can be seen to be "playing god" when they interfere in a natural process such as conception.

Personally - I don't believe in god, I'm an Atheist and I don't have a problem with science advancing in a way that might benefit the human race. Some people get on their high horses about stem cell research, having babies to save the life of an existing child or curing a killer disease in a test-tube. I can see absolutely NO arguement about science when it improves or prolongs somones life.

On the other hand - my jury is still out on the subject of same sex conception. You're right, Justine - about the healthy bit - there would be no guarantees that the baby would be healthy, but many babies born at the moment have disabilities and defects.

I have always stood by the "live and let live" ethos. I have nothing against two women or two men bringing up a child and think in a lot of cases the child is better off than a lot of children in single parent relationships (not all - don't bite) or disfunctional mother and father families and it's very difficult for gay and lesbian couples to have children so in that respect...

So many pros and cons reagrding this arguement... it's an interesting topic though and one I am sure many people have an opinion on.

justine
30-Sep-08, 12:05
I was actually starting to think that i was the only one who found this topic interesting. As you say scientists seem to be playing at God,and like you i dont believe in god either.

i just see the right or the justness in trying to change what has naturaly been for thousands of years. I cannot imagine what it would be like.At this rate they will come up with a system that no longer needs to involve the male species, we will become a sexual beings:eek:

I just hope that it takes many many centuries before they crack this one.For my next few generations sake at least.

AfternoonDelight
30-Sep-08, 13:05
No - I'm fascinated by things like this... and you are right - if this kind of thing comes to pass then all men will be good for is...well....nothing at all really... gettig the lid off the Nutella jar maybe...mmm :~(

balto
30-Sep-08, 13:19
it is an interesting subject, but this isnt what mother nature intended so it should be left alone.

justine
30-Sep-08, 14:06
Thats it, its going against mother nature and what she had in mind for the human population.

I am not against same sex couples, although my thoughts on them with children is a whole different topic, but i think messing about with the human embryo's and sperm is just another step to mucking up the genetic of mankind.

balto
30-Sep-08, 14:41
Thats it, its going against mother nature and what she had in mind for the human population.

I am not against same sex couples, although my thoughts on them with children is a whole different topic, but i think messing about with the human embryo's and sperm is just another step to mucking up the genetic of mankind.
aye is agree with you here, i dont mind peole of the same sex being together either, but if god had inteneded it to be this way it would be like that from the start and nor require a man and a woman.

balto
30-Sep-08, 14:56
doubt god made adam and eve for nothing, so why chance it.

AfternoonDelight
30-Sep-08, 14:58
I doubt god made Adam and Eve at all...

balto
30-Sep-08, 14:59
always thought he did.

wifie
30-Sep-08, 15:01
No - I'm fascinated by things like this... and you are right - if this kind of thing comes to pass then all men will be good for is...well....nothing at all really... gettig the lid off the Nutella jar maybe...mmm :~(

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/6065718/index.cfm?clg=3&bnrid=3181401&cm_ven=NexTag&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=ctlutlutl&cm_ite=OXO%20Jar%20Opener

Nah just get one of these!

justine
30-Sep-08, 15:01

[lol]Sorry, i have to agree, especially when you think that would make us women all bones, but then it might explain why we feel like spare ribs in a mans world[lol]

AfternoonDelight
30-Sep-08, 16:57
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/6065718/index.cfm?clg=3&bnrid=3181401&cm_ven=NexTag&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=ctlutlutl&cm_ite=OXO%20Jar%20Opener

Nah just get one of these!

[lol] Genius!!!!