PDA

View Full Version : Bradford & Bingley

Loch not Lock
29-Sep-08, 11:24
Unfortunately I had a few shares in Bradford & Bingley. Now that it has been Nationalised does that mean my shares are worth nothing and get no compensation?

MadPict
29-Sep-08, 12:00
Shares in the firm have been suspended.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7641268.stm

Loch not Lock
29-Sep-08, 12:04
Shares in the firm have been suspended.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7641268.stm
Thanks Mad Pict - It looks like I'll lose the lot.

ecb
29-Sep-08, 12:08
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/3097451/Bradford-and-Bingley-QandA.html

"Q. I am one of the 930,000 private shareholders in B&B. What about me?
A. You, I am afraid to say, will lose out.
Having seen the shares fall from 300p at the end of last year, to 20p last week, you are likely to end up with nothing. This is what happened to Northern Rock shareholders.
Northern Rock shareholders are currently in the early stages of trying to win compensation from the Government.
A similar battle is likely to be waged by B&B's shareholders, but any compensation is likely to be many years down the line."

MadPict
29-Sep-08, 12:08
Shares are falling left right and centre -
HBOS is down 19.20 to 154.10
RBS is down 30.70 to 177.30
Lloyds TSB is down 35.00 to 216.00

Still Severn Trent is up 22.00 to 1354.00...........:)

Melancholy Man
29-Sep-08, 13:03
LnL's situation should be remembered by any who dismiss shareholders as part of the problem. Nine hundred thousand cannot all be spivs and speculators. Most will be minor investors - maybe their hard-earned savings - who've seen it go up in smoke.

I doubt Rod Kent is going to be in too much difficulty.

But, it should also be remembered that shares were worth 20p *before* the nationalization.

jay
30-Sep-08, 13:35
I really don't understand much about this current financial situation, however, as much as I sympathise with people who have lost their savings etc through the fall in share values etc, I don't understand why they should receive compensation from the Government. If the goverment has to fund this then ultimately we are the ones who will pay for it, so people like me (who can't afford to save and buy shares) will be paying out to compensate those who had/have more than I do - where is the logic in that? This is a genuine question - why should the government pay compensation for this? can anyone explain that in laymans terms please!

dortmunder
30-Sep-08, 22:23
Difficult one, jay. Shareholders should NEVER receive compensation as they are the ones who own the business and are the risk takers. I've had shares in two companies that went bust but I never complained - I knew it was high risk/high reward. After all the demutualisations of the eighties and the efforts of the Tories to make us all become shareholders, I suspect any government is afraid of the mass upset that the failure of a high profile business - such as one of the aforementioned demutualisations - will cause. Unfortunately, too many people who own shares have no understanding of them.