PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Presents - Cash/Vouchers

scrabster view
29-Sep-08, 08:23
I am the only person who thinks its down right rude for people to put notes in with their wedding invitations asking guests for cash or shop vouchers?

What do you think?

changilass
29-Sep-08, 08:37
I don't see it as any worse than having a list of items you require.

Nowadays I think it makes a lot of sense.

Very few folks are starting from scratch when they get married, even if they havn't lived together as a couple then normally at least one of them lives in their own home.

What use is two toasters let alone three or four.

The way I see it is, if your guests would take umbridge at you making a sensible request, then just maybe they shouldn't be on the guest list in the first place.

alanatkie
29-Sep-08, 08:43
I usually give cash or vouchers anyway as a wedding gift. So i wouldn't be put of by them specifying this. 1 of my mates wanted to do there garden so specified homebase vouchers - was quite happy to oblige. I'd rather give them something they wanted than give them a gift they may never use.

brokencross
29-Sep-08, 08:46
Vouchers are fine, cash is a bit cold and totally impersonal.

For vouchers, if they specify a particular shop or chain that is fine.

That way you can give as little or as much as you want so they can accumulate the vouchers to get exactly what they want and need.

On wedding lists I think it is a bit off when they specify a really, really expensive designer label name for items. Sometimes the amount you want to spend will only buy a coffee cup and saucer.

EDDIE
29-Sep-08, 09:09
I would far prefer to give someone cash or vouchers so they can buy something they really want to me its pointless buying something for them that they dont really like the look of or style of it.

wifie
29-Sep-08, 09:55
I concur! Great idea to give vouchers or contribute to an account at a store! I do think tho that a suitable reply in thank you is appropriate! Think it is only fair that a wee message of thank you, for a gift of any sort, that some thought has gone into goes a long way!

Angela
29-Sep-08, 10:05
I almost always give vouchers or money as most couples nowadays already have most of the things they need.

I find a wedding list more intimidating, especially with folk I don't know all that well. The cheapest item on the list is often still way beyond my modest budget.:eek:

I look on cash or vouchers as my wee contribution to the overall expense of a wedding really.

I've always received a nice written thank you! :)

telfordstar
29-Sep-08, 12:41
Having been married myself in the last few years when it came to the wedding list we didnt bother at all. Our view was we would rather the guests come to see our happy day and they will probably spent a wee small fortune on outfits hair etc. We prefered their company rather than gifts but if we got a gift it was a bonus.

_Ju_
29-Sep-08, 13:10
No, it's not rude at all. It's practical. Most couples have their homes set up already and yet people want to give a gift. This way they can use the money on what they really need. Some friends of mine had a nice honeymoon thanks to their wedding gifts. In holland the honeymoon is called "white bread" instead. So my sisters friends got a bunch of euro coins baked into 6 loaves of bread. :lol:

balto
29-Sep-08, 13:55
so many couples that get married these days already have houses already, so i suppose cash/vouchers is a practical thing to ask for.

squidge
29-Sep-08, 16:20
We didnt do a wedding list at all, anyone who asked what we would like was told that whatever they wanted to buy would be perfect but if they were stuck then vouchers for a particular store would be very welcome.

Sandra_B
29-Sep-08, 16:44
Yes, I think it is rude. Also wedding registrys. It implies the only reason for the invite is a gift and not your company.

wifie
29-Sep-08, 17:18
I don't think it is rude - it is sensible and modern! I got 4 crystal bowls for goodness' sake! There is a limit! The husband of one of the couples who gave us a bowl asked if we had a dog cos it would make a smashing water dish! [lol]

AfternoonDelight
30-Sep-08, 11:43
I am the only person who thinks its down right rude for people to put notes in with their wedding invitations asking guests for cash or shop vouchers?

Yes.................

Bad Manners
30-Sep-08, 15:38
I am of the opinion not just for weddings but christmas birthdays etc that you shoulnt ask and I dont like to asked what I want either.
if someone is giving a gift they should give a gift of their own choosing So what if you end up with two or three items the same someone took the time to choose the gift and they were happy with their choice. You should be happy to recieve any gift. I know that most people getting married may have several items already but invited guest will more than likley be aware of that and buy another suitable gift. There is always the surprise element if you give a gift list you know what you are expecting I much prefer the surprise good or bad it is far more fun

balto
30-Sep-08, 15:52
I am of the opinion not just for weddings but christmas birthdays etc that you shoulnt ask and I dont like to asked what I want either.
if someone is giving a gift they should give a gift of their own choosing So what if you end up with two or three items the same someone took the time to choose the gift and they were happy with their choice. You should be happy to recieve any gift. I know that most people getting married may have several items already but invited guest will more than likley be aware of that and buy another suitable gift. There is always the surprise element if you give a gift list you know what you are expecting I much prefer the surprise good or bad it is far more fun
i am 100% with you here, i fell like i am being forced into choosing a present, and i dont like it i for one like surprises, suposse ts the child in me lol, and as it is a present, you shouldnt mind what they buy you as it is the thought that counts.:D