PDA

View Full Version : The Safety of the Far North

Venture
10-Jan-06, 22:57
Words can't begin to describe how I felt tonight after watching an item on the main news concerning two babysitters. If you saw it you will understand where I am coming from. Between children being abducted from their bath and their house over the past two weeks and then todays story it makes me wonder what on earth this world is coming to. We moan and groan about living in the far North but Im sure when it comes to our children being safe, there is no better place...as far as I know.

Whitewater
10-Jan-06, 23:05
You are right there Venture. I was born and brought up in Thurso and couldn't wait to get away quickly enough. Done a lot travelling and lived in a few different cities over the years, but I've been back here for many years now, I wouldn't change it for the world, but I had to leave to know what we had and I now appreciate it.

rich62_uk
10-Jan-06, 23:06
Thats the MAIN reason we are moving to the north for our childrens safety. Trish.

star
Didn't watch the news but heard it on the radio was this the item about the man and the 18 year old girl who was known to the baby's family

Saveman
Words can't begin to describe how I felt tonight after watching an item on the main news concerning two babysitters. If you saw it you will understand where I am coming from. Between children being abducted from their bath and their house over the past two weeks and then todays story it makes me wonder what on earth this world is coming to. We moan and groan about living in the far North but Im sure when it comes to our children being safe, there is no better place...as far as I know.

Totally agree, however my only worry is how long will it stay that way?

star
10-Jan-06, 23:09
These type of things go on no matter where you live and I don't think we should become complacent just because we live in a relatively safe part of the country

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jan-06, 23:17
My husband works in England and will be for another year or so I have opted to stay here with the kids.Many people think this is silly but we came to this decision for the sake of our kids.I have been down on many occassions and I cant wait to get back up with them as at least I know they are in a much safer environment.Okay so he misses the children but they come first and they are happy and contented here and it means dad spoils them when hes home.All too often people moan about the lack of things up here,one thing we are lacking thankfully are the dangers lurking for young and older children down south.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jan-06, 23:19
I agree about being complacent as it may only be a matter of time before things change but I hope not.

connieb19
10-Jan-06, 23:22
What I cannot believe about the people up here is, how can they go into shops and leave babies in their prams outside. I think that is just madness and they wouldn't do it anywhere else. All it would take is for some stranger to come out of a shop and take the pram as if it was their own. They coud be out of sight before anyone even noticed!!:(

Gleber2
10-Jan-06, 23:23
The difference between the North and the rest of the country is that Caithness, up until recently, has never had a serious drug problem.A different picture emerges now as Heroin and cocaine comes into the county in ever increasing quantities.We are seeing only the tip of the iceberg right now but the future is a different matter.Here and now,those of us who would like to keep our streets clear of these poisons are going to need to take A DIRECT HAND IN THE REMOVAL OF THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PROLIFERATION.It does not take much for each concerned parent to keep eyes and ears open and take a direct hand in trying to put a stop to it.The signs are obvious and the user's behaviour will show definite signs as he or she becomes addicted. It can be said that we have had a drug problem up here for years but what we had is tame compared to what we might be getting. It is serious addiction which creates rising crime of all kinds. The police seem to be fairly ineffective and our politicians are not prepared to face the problem.

star
10-Jan-06, 23:24
I hope they dont either we have often talked about moving down south where there are better employment prospects and more to do in your free time but you really have to weigh that up with the relatively safe environment we live in up here, when my son goes to play in the back garden 9 times out of ten when I check on him he's still there, I would of hated to grow up in an area where my mother was scared to let me out of the house, that's something that we take for granted up here.

Stargazer
10-Jan-06, 23:33
Best to start taking personal security seriously now and making it a habit. Locking doors, locking cars and looking after your family and belongings. If we make it hard for criminals now the future risk is reduced.

rich62_uk
10-Jan-06, 23:36
I hope they don't either we have often talked about moving down south where there are better employment prospects and more to do in your free time but you really have to weigh that up with the relatively safe environment we live in up here, when my son goes to play in the back garden 9 times out of ten when I check on him he's still there, I would of hated to grow up in an area where my mother was scared to let me out of the house, that's something that we take for granted up here.

Do not move down here. I can not stress it enough. and as for the remarks you made gleber double it ohhhhhh treble it. if you see a problem with your child deal with it immediately, if you see someone in the street harass the police and get neighbors and friends to harass the police and local MP until they are forced to face it and deal with it. when we move up to Caithness in the very near future, I will look and I will make someone DEAL with the problem. I will not be complacent and hope it will go away, I will not be scared of facing the people on the street dishing out their DIRT. ......... This is one angry mum ...Trish.

landmarker
10-Jan-06, 23:42
It's easy to get carried away and over concerned about child safety down here. Yes, there are issues about drugs and bullying but there is much to be done to minimise risk. Don't let youngsters carry mobile phones for a start because these type of things make them sitting ducks for robbery.

England is no nirvana, and I myself am sick of it. We'd love to move north and one day will, probably later than sooner but the hunt for a place is on.
Either in Caithness or elsewhere.

As I've said before I'd move heaven and earth to get my daughter & grand-daughter up there with us. She is three, and I feel we'd be giving the community something back in return for (hopefully) accepting us there. After all no country wants an influx of exclusively auld codgers (we ain't quite there yet by the way) even if they're solvent.

If, however they decided to stay down here I will not be unduly concerned about safety. Perception of danger seems to outweigh the reality. I live to the east of Manchester but I'd still go walking around on my own , sometimes forget to lock the door & expect my car to be untouched in the morning <touching wood now>Kids play out on our small estate, in fact in summer I wish they'd stay indoors glued to their pc's and play stations rather than running around making a racket. It is safe here !

I agree that drugs are one of the major problems facing society down here, but this creeping sickness has been with us for twenty years or more and the politicians have been useless in tackling it. The 'south' as you describe it is not all so black as it is painted. I feel this thread needed a counter view.

That said - beam me up anyway a.s.a.p.

Kenn
10-Jan-06, 23:48
I could n't agree more Trish fortunately my children are grown and flown the nest but I now have a new worry my grandchild.
Like you I am not and never would be complacent about the threats to the young. We all need to take a step back and look at the world and if we don't like what we see, then we should be prepared to do some thing about both for ourselves and those that will follow because if we don't no one else will and that way lies anarchy.

Alice in Blunderland
I have no hesitation in picking up the phone and calling the police when I see or hear of something that I do not like.I have also hounded poor Jamie Stone on a few issues as well (he gets paid enough to be harrassed) When it comes to the safety of my children I am one pro active mum I have been even known to walk into the rectors office in the high school and rant at him when my daughter was being hounded by silent phone calls. I do not believe in sticking my head in the sand and hoping it will be okay.I brought my children into this world and I am sure not going to let anything or anyone try and take them away from me.We can never be too complacent.

Alice in Blunderland
Liz and Trish I couldnt agree more

Gleber2
10-Jan-06, 23:49
If you succeed,you will be the first to achieve anything.The local authorities were warned about the coming situation and were asked to establish a needle bank.No was the reply,we don't want people to think we have a problem. That was several years ago. About the same time a drugs squad officer based in Wick wrote an article in the Groat telling people about the ever growing problem and a week later a superior officer wrote saying that there was no problem.I know for a fact that there are areas in Thurso and Wick which,in the words of the young person who told me,are rotten with heroin.Recently there was one person found with a small quantity in Wick and I believe that someone from the South was aprehended with a larger quantity. The former is definite,the second not certain.

rich62_uk
10-Jan-06, 23:54
It's easy to get carried away and over concerned about child safety down here. Yes, there are issues about drugs and bullying but there is much to be done to minimize risk. Don't let youngsters carry mobile phones for a start because these type of things make them sitting ducks for robbery.

England is no nirvana, and I myself am sick of it. We'd love to move north and one day will, probably later than sooner but the hunt for a place is on.
Either in Caithness or elsewhere.

As I've said before I'd move heaven and earth to get my daughter & grand-daughter up there with us. She is three, and I feel we'd be giving the community something back in return for (hopefully) accepting us there. After all no country wants an influx of exclusively auld codgers (we ain't quite there yet by the way) even if they're solvent.

If, however they decided to stay down here I will not be unduly concerned about safety. Perception of danger seems to outweigh the reality. I live to the east of Manchester but I'd still go walking around on my own , sometimes forget to lock the door & expect my car to be untouched in the morning <touching wood now>Kids play out on our small estate, in fact in summer I wish they'd stay indoors glued to their pc's and play stations rather than running around making a racket. It is safe here !

I agree that drugs are one of the major problems facing society down here, but this creeping sickness has been with us for twenty years or more and the politicians have been useless in tackling it. The 'south' as you describe it is not all so black as it is painted. I feel this thread needed a counter view.

That said - beam me up anyway a.s.a.p.

I switched the beam thingy off so no luck. You obviously are older than I thought :p or maybe Manchester is far safer than London, Drugs are rife down here if you read my comments on the Wick School thread and are still in doubt please feel free to phone Romford police station and ask ! Thats if you manage to get someone to talk to you on the phone as they are extremal busy. Did you say children play out side ? Wow haven't heard that since I was a child. That was cut short though when my mum found out that a man in a van was touring the area, it was fun while it lasted..... Trish.

landmarker
11-Jan-06, 00:01
I used to park up in Romford in the mid eighties, very often - by Oldchurch Hospital (I think) on what was then waste ground with 'travellers/gypsies' area nearby I often strolled around the town at night, went to that big cinema a few times. It must have gone well down the nick. Shame.
On balance (and again touching wood) I'd say our little area of Manchester is as safe as anywhere in urban England and yes, kids play out all the time here. We have woods at the back of the houses and open fields ideal for it too. I'd say from baout six or seven upwards they play out on their own. It's also designeds to be car free within the confines of front of the houses -works well. I'm just fed up of it - and I don't wanna play out anymore anyway!! :-)

JAWS
11-Jan-06, 00:08
Good grief, landmarker, have the Cheetham Hill Druggies and the Moss Side Druggies stopped shooting one another?

rich62_uk
11-Jan-06, 00:17
If you succeed,you will be the first to achieve anything.The local authorities were warned about the coming situation and were asked to establish a needle bank.No was the reply,we don't want people to think we have a problem. That was several years ago. About the same time a drugs squad officer based in Wick wrote an article in the Groat telling people about the ever growing problem and a week later a superior officer wrote saying that there was no problem.I know for a fact that there are areas in Thurso and Wick which,in the words of the young person who told me,are rotten with heroin.Recently there was one person found with a small quantity in Wick and I believe that someone from the South was aprehended with a larger quantity. The former is definite,the second not certain.

I wont shut up and be quiet we had a problem recently not going into detail now but it resulted in me trailing the streets at 10 PM ish with a collection of dodgy teenagers. ending at the police station until they asked me to leave. if the same problem arises I will repeat the experience however unsavory it is. these things need to be stopped and unless people stand up and start shouting then they will slowly creep up on you.

connieb19
11-Jan-06, 00:20
I wont shut up and be quiet we had a problem recently not going into detail now but it resulted in me trailing the streets at 10 PM ish with a collection of dodgy teenagers. ending at the police station until they asked me to leave. if the same problem arises I will repeat the experience however unsavory it is. these things need to be stopped and unless people stand up and start shouting then they will slowly creep up on you.Well all I can say is, the sooner you come to Wick the better..maybe it will take some more people like you to sort this place out..and not before time!!:)

JAWS
11-Jan-06, 01:20
There is a very good reason why they will refuse to admit there is a problem until it is completely out of hand.

If you admit there is a problem then people will ask, "What are you doing about it?" and you can hardly say, "Nothing!" That means you have to do something about it.

If you keep insisting that there isn't a problem then when people ask, "What are you doing about it?" You can say, "What problem? I see no problem!"
If you bury your head deep enough in the sand and refuse to acknowledge there is a problem then you have an easy life.
No problem - no solution required.

"What do we do?"
"Just file it in the 'Too Hard to Do' Tray, it may go away!"

ZZZZZZZZZZ!

landmarker
11-Jan-06, 20:51
Good grief, landmarker, have the Cheetham Hill Druggies and the Moss Side Druggies stopped shooting one another?

I'm outside Manchester, not deep in it. I avoid the place. Shop there once every five years, never venture in at night. 35 years ago it was different, very different.

There is no open country between the inner city and where I live but, luckily
there seems a world of difference. I wonder sometimes just what the difference is.

You're a smart cookie Jaws. I expect you've sussed it.

Saveman
11-Jan-06, 22:05
I walked through Moss Side once. Bought a bag of the nicest chips I've ever tasted.
But thats another thread....:D

caithpal
11-Jan-06, 22:41
I know that the far north is generally a safer place but with Halkirk, Thurso and Wick being used as a dumping ground for relocating sex offenders etc is it going to stay like this for long?

Bobinovich
11-Jan-06, 22:44
We moved from Sheffield some 29 years ago - there my sister and I were not even allowed to play in our garden back. I was 8, my sister 10.

Caithness took a lot of getting used to - having almost limitless space to roam around, beaches within minutes walking distance, and a situation where we could leave the house at 8am - not go home until 10pm - all without our mum worrying where we were, who we were with, or what we were doing.

Now a parent myself I couldn't imagine a better place to bring kids up, and I want it to stay that way for as long as possible.

You couldn't pry me away with here with a money or a crowbar!!!

landmarker
11-Jan-06, 22:48
Blummin' eck , this is going from bad to worse. I thought I'd found nirvana !!

Incidentally I jumped in earlier on this thread because I thought the 'south' meant England as well, but thinking about I'm not sure. What does the average Caithnessian (?) think of when he/she says 'the south' Southern Scotland? Is England an irrelevance? In Manchester we regard ourselves as 'northerners' but this is clearly absurd in the wider sense. Where does 'the south' start? Perth?

melted_wellie
11-Jan-06, 22:52
Blummin' eck , this is going from bad to worse. I thought I'd found nirvana !!

Incidentally I jumped in earlier on this thread because I thought the 'south' meant England as well, but thinking about I'm not sure. What does the average Caithnessian (?) think of when he/she says 'the south' Southern Scotland? Is England an irrelevance? In Manchester we regard ourselves as 'northerners' but this is clearly absurd in the wider sense. Where does 'the south' start? Perth?Lybster i thought.

JAWS
12-Jan-06, 02:46
SAVEY, you were very lucky, mugging people for chips is a good game there.

landmarker, I have sussed the difference but it's not PC to say what it is nowadays.

To clarify, north, south etc. refer to locations in Caithness.
All locations other than that are known as outwith the County and are to be treated with equal mistrust. ;)

The main thing to remember is that if people wipe their feet at the Ord to dust off the rest of the world then by far the majority are most welcome.
The fact that the locals smile and are pleasant with people can be a bit of a culture shock at first but that soon wears off.

teddybear1873
12-Jan-06, 03:21
I live in Houma near New Orleans and everyone keeps there doors well locked and u hardly see a kid under the age of 10 playing outside unless there with an adult. Caithness is so different than here...Even i am a bit cautious walking about here, even in the daylight..