PDA

View Full Version : Well done caithness.org!!!

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 19:37
This site is the 313,034th (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=caithness.org) most popular on the Internet according to Ranking.com! Right behind the American Humanist Association (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=americanhumanist.org), and one ahead of Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=cicic.ca), and 77 places ahead of Visit Connecticut (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=visitconnecticut.com).

Eat that, Yankies!

golach
28-Sep-08, 20:12
This site is the 313,034th (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=caithness.org) most popular on the Internet according to Ranking.com! Right behind the American Humanist Association (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=americanhumanist.org), and one ahead of Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=cicic.ca), and 77 places ahead of Visit Connecticut (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=visitconnecticut.com).

Eat that, Yankies!
MM, that's uncalled for!!!!.......We have many USA Citizens who are Orgers, how do you think your post must make them feel?
The Org is an award winning site anyway, we Orgers of longer membership know this already.

mccaugm
28-Sep-08, 20:14
MM, that's uncalled for!!!!.......We have many USA Citizens who are Orgers, how do you think your post must make them feel?
The Org is an award winning site anyway, we Orgers of longer membership know this already.

Golach it was a joke...I am sure Brandy herself would see the funny side....you would wouldn't you Brandy???:roll:

golach
28-Sep-08, 20:19
Golach it was a joke...I am sure Brandy herself would see the funny side....you would wouldn't you Brandy???:roll:
Brandy is not the only American reading this forum Mccaugum :( MM 's closing remark is what I find offensive, not all members of the USA are Yankee's

joxville
28-Sep-08, 20:20
Methinks MM has too much time on his hands.

Sporran
28-Sep-08, 20:34
Brandy is not the only American reading this forum Mccaugum :( MM 's closing remark is what I find offensive, not all members of the USA are Yankee's

I'm a Brit married to an American, and I found it rather offensive too. A tad too cheeky, MM, me lad!!!

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 20:39
Indeed not all Americans are Yankies, but Connecticut is. Is Brandy not from somewhere down South?

But, if it has caused offensive, I apologize. So does my night-time companion, Samuel Clements.

Tristan
28-Sep-08, 20:42
Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (http://scripts.ranking.com/data/details.aspx?theurl=cicic.ca)
Eat that, Yankies!

Pssst - not Yankies either....[lol]

PS I don't see anything wrong with a bit of tongue-in-cheek nationalistic banter.

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 20:46
PS I don't see anything wrong with a bit of tongue-in-cheek nationalistic banter.

Thank you. I knew a Canuck would understand.

wifie
28-Sep-08, 21:04
Pssst - not Yankies either....[lol]

Well said Tristan! Too much offence takin round here - the gate will go next! :eek:

teenybash
28-Sep-08, 21:10
Pleased the .Org has done so well....naughty boy MM...keep in gear the mind and the fingers on the keyboard................;)

golach
28-Sep-08, 21:18
Okay, let's go serious for a moment. Does anyone, in all honestly, think that I was congratulating the website on being 313,034th in an Internet traffic list? If I were, then tar 'n feather me now, because I'd be an idiot.

Next, this site is ranked below the *American* Humanist Society website. I'd be even more of an idiot to consider this summat to be proud of.

Finally, I was accurate in calling a Nutmegger website "Yankie". If it had been Visit Wisconsin, I would have said something about dairy products. North Dakota, Fargo.

Finally finally, if this is offensive, then a certain baseball team is run by self-hating Yankies.
What I and Sporran found offensive was the phrase "Eat That Yankies"

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 21:20
Okay, let's go serious for a moment. Does anyone, in all honestly, think that I was congratulating the website on being 313,034th in an Internet traffic list? If I were, then tar 'n feather me now, because I'd be an idiot.

Next, this site is ranked below the *American* Humanist Society website. I'd be even more of an idiot to consider this summat to be proud of.

Finally, I was accurate in calling a Nutmegger website "Yankie". I simply trawled through the list for a recognizable domain. If it had been Visit Wisconsin, I would have said something about dairy products. North Dakota, Fargo.

Finally finally, if this is offensive, then a certain baseball team is run by self-hating Yankies.

The Org is an award winning site anyway, we Orgers of longer membership know this already.So did I! I allude to it before.

Sporran
28-Sep-08, 21:21

Exactly, golach.

WeeBurd
28-Sep-08, 21:28
It's quite sad to see the sense of homour being driven out of the Org these days. MM's post was clearly tongue in cheek, yet some folks have been quick to jump on him.

Alas (and I know we're going round in circles here) people are becoming more and more reluctant to post, because even the harmless, amusing posts, now appear to be causing untold offence. [disgust]

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 21:30
Eh? How did that happen?

Golach, neither you nor, as I understand it, Sporran are American. Thus, all I can see is your divining 'offensiveness' because someone else may dislike the word. However, under no reasonable stretch of the imagination, are Americans are a persecuted group, or ever have been. Nor can you, I challenge, find a single post from me which suggests visceral hatred of Americans.

I have been accused of mistaking Americans in general for that corner of their great country to which the term "Yankie" was originally applied. As I have explained in the very post you quoted, this is false. If you believe it is an epiphet up there with certain other terms, I suggest you take it up with the both the New York Yankees and those pulishing houses which continue to print Mark Twain books.

I saw someone today wearing a Confederacy clothes-patch. Want to say the same to her?

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 21:33

You are brainwashed by political correctness if something as trivial as that offends you, good grief.

wifie
28-Sep-08, 21:37
I'm wi gizmo PC is takin over the world! :roll:
Whatever happened to banter?

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 21:38
Some Orgers here must have the lowest outrage thresh-hold ever. Do they write letters to the Thunderer when someone takes their favourite seat at the restaurant? Are they outraged when kids wear baseball caps indoors?

Alas (and I know we're going round in circles here) people are becoming more and more reluctant to post,Not me.

because even the harmless, amusing posts, now appear to be causing untold offence.I agree. Taking offensive is a form of passive aggression. Especially when it's vicarious (Ed. That's enough big words you soft southern ponce).

There are more glaring examples of racism/bigotry which should be called to account, and if anyone thinks the use of "Yankie" to describe a bunch of Allspicers ranks up there with certain other epithets then, well, I doubt their appreciation of the concept.

I'm an ethnic teuchter. Look! I can say it! Teuchter, teuchter, teuchter!

Sporran
28-Sep-08, 21:40
Melancholy Man, the whole point is that you were trying to show a feeling of one upmanship towards Americans.

TBH
28-Sep-08, 21:41
Yup, and I'm a sweaty sock.

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 21:43
It's quite sad to see the sense of homour being driven out of the Org these days. MM's post was clearly tongue in cheek, yet some folks have been quick to jump on him.

Alas (and I know we're going round in circles here) people are becoming more and more reluctant to post, because even the harmless, amusing posts, now appear to be causing untold offence. [disgust]

It's why i very rarely post around here unless it's a humourous thread, there is no humour at all that offends me, and i usually like to make light of even the darkest subjects (excluding a couple like child abuse or rape), but there are some seriously dour faced people around here that have no sense of humour at all and generally jump on anything humourous and shoot it down, this is a community website with all different kinds of characters, i sometimes wish these people who are terminally serious would go find a political based website where their dourness would be better suited.

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 21:46
Melancholy Man, the whole point is that you were trying to show a feeling of one upmanship towards Americans.

And what is so wrong with that?, and a bit hypocritical seeing as many americans believe they are better than the rest of the world.

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 21:47

You would have a semblance of a point if I had not negatively compared this website (I can't believe I just said that) to the American Humanist Society.

Bruce_H
28-Sep-08, 21:48
And what is so wrong with that?, and a bit hypocritical seeing as many americans believe they are better than the rest of the world.

As a Yank who reads here daily and posts here some, I was not offended and thought it was funny. MM rocks in my book, and I think any American who might have been offended by his post probably would not last long in the real world anyhow.
;)

Bruce H

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 21:50
As a Yank who reads here daily and posts here some, I was not offended and thought it was funny. MM rocks in my book, and I think any American who might have been offended by his post probably would not last long in the real world anyhow.
;)

Bruce H

Dankie shenny thingie, mercy buckets and muchy grassy arse, as we say in Caithness.

Kevin Milkins
28-Sep-08, 21:51
As an uneducated person I would not normaly comment on this type of post or get involved in a debate about it.
However when I first read it though I thought it could offend some, regardless of what the intentions were.
I felt it smacked of Eat that Paddy or Eat that Taffy, or even Eat that Jock.:mad:
Just a thought:confused

the second coming
28-Sep-08, 21:52
class, the org at its best, or worst, depending on how hard you push said tongue into cheek. I reckon PC'ers (and thats not the ones sitting in front of a big humming glowing thing wi buttons in front of it) should go away back under their duvets and hide away from the big bad world for fear of anyone else upsetting their meek wee tender souls....., either that or GET A LIFE!!

Good call MM.

Long live the banter,

God save the banter.

TBH
28-Sep-08, 21:57
Jesus H, get a grip folks, calling an U.S citizen a yank is hardly the crime of the century. Mark Twain must be turning in his grave.
The term, 'eat that Yankees', is hardly offensive either although a Scot would prefer to say, 'Get it up ye, ya bunch O' Yankees'.

wifie
28-Sep-08, 22:00
;)

Bruce H
YAY Bruce! :)

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 22:01
.I felt it smacked of Eat that Paddy or Eat that Taffy, or even Eat that Jock.:mad:

See that's the thing, i don't see what is offensive about that, i'm Scottish....i'm a Jock, and not offended by it in the slightest, if people would stop concentrating on pathetic little things like that and worry about real problems then this world might not be in such a bloody mess.

TBH
28-Sep-08, 22:02
As an uneducated person I would not normaly comment on this type of post or get involved in a debate about it.
However when I first read it though I thought it could offend some, regardless of what the intentions were.
I felt it smacked of Eat that Paddy or Eat that Taffy, or even Eat that Jock.:mad:
Just a thought:confusedI'm a Jock so no need to get offended on my account Kevin.[lol]

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 22:05
Note to Moderators, you may decide to stick a fork in this, but, personally, I have no problems with the continued flak I'm catching. As for the specific charge, as I've explained I consider it as ludicrous as the time my Aunties Isobel and Agnes fell out with each other because one put the milk in the tea last. They don't remember who and whom..

I felt it smacked of Eat that Paddy or Eat that Taffy, or even Eat that Jock.

I wouldn't have said any of those. Taffy and Jock sound odd. Instead, I take no offence from Jimmy (unless it's accompanied by a punch in the face), and would have likely said Boyo in jest. As would my Taffy mates.

Paddy, though, I would have thought twice because of the history of anti-Irish sentiment and fiery opinions of the issue of the six county statelet. Not that Americans can be said to be in the same boat.

TBH
28-Sep-08, 22:08
Note to Moderators, you may decide to stick a fork in this, but, personally, I have no problems with the continued flak I'm catching. As for the specific charge, as I've explained I consider it as ludicrous as the time my Aunties Isobel and Agnes fell out with each other because one put the milk in the tea last. They don't remember who and whom..

I wouldn't have said any of those. Taffy and Jock sound odd. Instead, I take no offence from Jimmy (unless it's accompanied by a punch in the face), and would have likely said Boyo in jest. As would my Taffy mates.

Paddy, though, I would have thought twice because of the history of anti-Irish sentiment and fiery opinions of the issue of the six county statelet. Not that Americans can be said to be in the same boat.Now you are doing it.:roll: Where did the term Paddy come from, find out then let me know if it is really an offensive, derogatory term for an Irishman. The worl has gone mad.:lol:

wifie
28-Sep-08, 22:09
I'm a Jock so no need to get offended on my account Kevin.[lol]

Hecks I get called Jockette regularly on this forum and in the chat and it bothers me NOT!

changilass
I'm a mongrel, does that mean I can be multiply offended:lol:

Sporran

I agree.

Jesus H, get a grip folks, calling an U.S citizen a yank is hardly the crime of the century. Mark Twain must be turning in his grave.
The term, 'eat that Yankees', is hardly offensive either although a Scot would prefer to say, 'Get it up ye, ya bunch O' Yankees'.

It would have been just as bad if MM had said "Eat that Americans!", because that is what he meant, irregardless of whether the term Yankee actually encompasses all Americans or not.

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 22:11

Oh this thread will disappear quicker than my hairline did, just like the 'What Makes You Angry' thread from Friday night, all very sad.

highlander
28-Sep-08, 22:16
I have been sitting back watching what is being said here, i can now really understand why people are not posting, since the general thread was closed down it gave us time to reflect on what is being typed, the arguements that rear for silly reasons. This last few days i have tried to add a bit of banter to c.org, lighten the mood. I can see its a waste of time!
Golach if you did not like Melancholy post, you could have reported it, you have been here long enough to know that. Yes we have very good friends on here who would have been offended with the post, but its not for you to stand on your soapbox to then desend this to another wholy war or words. Things are said, report it! if anyone is deeply offended report it! personally it did not rattle my cage what Melancholy man wrote, but what is, is the ones who sit ready to jump down peoples throats just guning for an arguement. Gawds sake, lighten up.

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 22:16
It would have been just as bad if MM had said "Eat that Americans!", because that is what he meant, irregardless of whether the term Yankee actually encompasses all Americans or not.

It would have been even worse had I said "you got what was coming on 11/9, ha ha ha!". But, of course, I didn't, and wouldn't have. Just as I did not say "eat that Americans!". Instead, I said "Yankies" BECAUSE I WAS REFERRING TO A NEW ENGLAND STATE!!!

Would it have made a difference had I said "eat that Nutmeggers!"?

Now, about those baseball teams and Dixie-men called Clemens...

TBH
28-Sep-08, 22:17
I agree.

It would have been just as bad if MM had said "Eat that Americans!", because that is what he meant, irregardless of whether the term Yankee actually encompasses all Americans or not.Firstly Sporran, I am not arguing with you, just thought I'd clear that up.
If he did say, 'Eat that Americans', I fail to understand what is derogatory about it? UNless you can prove that MM has some overpowering hatred for Americans then your statement doesn't hold water.

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 22:20
It's alive, and it's developed a taste for human flesh!

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 22:22
I have been sitting back watching what is being said here, i can now really understand why people are not posting, since the general thread was closed down it gave us time to reflect on what is being typed, the arguements that rear for silly reasons. This last few days i have tried to add a bit of banter to c.org, lighten the mood. I can see its a waste of time!
Golach if you did not like Melancholy post, you could have reported it, you have been here long enough to know that. Yes we have very good friends on here who would have been offended with the post, but its not for you to stand on your soapbox to then desend this to another wholy war or words. Things are said, report it! if anyone is deeply offended report it! personally it did not rattle my cage what Melancholy man wrote, but what is, is the ones who sit ready to jump down peoples throats just guning for an arguement. Gawds sake, lighten up.

And you did a bloody good job, the Caithness Crack thread of yours was excellent, so it was not a waste of time :)

TBH
28-Sep-08, 22:22
It's alive, and it's developed a taste for human flesh!
Stop being so obtuse.:D

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 22:26
It's coming to the village, get the pitchforks!

wifie
28-Sep-08, 22:27

Aye I prefer it when ye are bein a-cute MM! [lol]

TBH
28-Sep-08, 22:27
Coming to a village near you and hell's coming with it.

Tristan
28-Sep-08, 22:28

Best be careful in case someone gets offended[lol].
I have said it once and I will say it again there is nothing wrong with a bit of friendly national banter. Heck I have heard worse personal attacks here, not to mention all the Wick v. Thurso threads, all of which have contained many more contentious comments that this obvious tongue-in-cheek one.

wifie
28-Sep-08, 22:28
Coming to a village near you and hell's coming with it.
They will have their own pitchforks then! :)

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 22:30
It's coming to the village, get the pitchforks!

You get the pitchforks, i'll bring the fire

TBH
28-Sep-08, 22:31
Best be careful in case someone gets offended[lol].
I have said it once and I will say it again there is nothing wrong with a bit of friendly national banter. Heck I have heard worse personal attacks here, not to mention all the Wick v. Thurso threads, all of which have contained many more contentious comments that this obvious tongue-in-cheek one.Sentient words Tristan, sentient words.

wifie
28-Sep-08, 22:33
You get the pitchforks, i'll bring the fire

Nah hell will bring that too - bring sausages we could have a barbie! :)

helenwyler
28-Sep-08, 22:33
It would have been just as bad if MM had said "Eat that Americans!",

No way would MM have written "Eat that Americans" without a comma.

He might have said "Eat that American" or "Eat those Americans".

He's quite fastidious about things like that. ;)

brokencross
28-Sep-08, 22:34

I am offended.. I am obtuse, but I am on a diet trying to do something about it.:D:D

TBH
28-Sep-08, 22:34
They will have their own pitchforks then! :)And they will come to tilt at windmills, when the man comes around.

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 22:35
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of the stupid wars!

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 22:36
Wa-haha, Helen!

<eats crap and leaves>

joxville
28-Sep-08, 22:39
Oh for heavens sake-get a grip people. MM said it in jest. We're in danger of turning, not just the org, but the world into a three wise monkey's society.

TBH
28-Sep-08, 22:42
Wa-haha, Helen!

<eats crap and leaves>You got something against Panda Bears?[disgust][lol]

joxville
28-Sep-08, 22:45
I hope those who have taken offence never leave Scotland. You can be sure you'll be called haggis, sweaty sock, Jimmy or similar wherever you go. I don't think your sensitive side will be able to take it, best stay at home.

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 22:45
Oh for heavens sake-get a grip people. MM said it in jest. We're in danger of turning, not just the org, but the world into a three wise monkey's society.

You can't have three wise monkeys as all the stupid monkeys will feel inferior

wifie
28-Sep-08, 22:46
And they will come to tilt at windmills, when the man comes around.

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhh TBH - don't mention windmills! (I think you got away with it ;))

Amy-Winehouse
28-Sep-08, 22:47

Thats not offensive, its humour. You get too easilly offended Golach- no one should be upset by that imo. That is what is wrong with this country nowadays- people go out their way to be offended to the extent of mopery , ie a mope. Most Offended people ever!!
while everyone just laughs & gets on with it:eek:

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 22:49
You got something against Panda Bears?[disgust][lol]

They're pistol-packing loonies (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2250/2129272773_d1727a4cda_o.jpg).

*Martin*
28-Sep-08, 22:50
No offence but there are some really muntin people on this forum! Honestly it would be laughable if it wasn't all so damn idiotic! I honestly think there are people on here that find a topic, look through it, then find any damn excuse to whinge like a 3 year old bairn!

I'm sure there are far worse things for you to be thinking about than whether some interweb stranger is offending a country and it's citizens!

Eat that, Yankies Orgers!

loobyloo
28-Sep-08, 22:54
They're pistol-packing loonies (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2250/2129272773_d1727a4cda_o.jpg).

Now I am offended. Total discrimination against harmless, fluffy pandas... It's a disgrace!

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 22:55
I hope those who have taken offence never leave Scotland. You can be sure you'll be called haggis, sweaty sock, Jimmy or similar wherever you go. I don't think your sensitive side will be able to take it, best stay at home.

Yep, wrap yourself and your bairns up in cotton wool and never leave the house again, and you better cancel that internet account while your at it :)

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 22:56
I am informed authors can lock threads. I'll give it a few minutes, and then lockity.

Meanwhile, I'm off to bag me a panda.

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 22:57
Now I am offended. Total discrimination against harmless, fluffy pandas... It's a disgrace!

Try telling that to the countless poor souls that are the victims of panda muggings each year :)

Tristan
28-Sep-08, 22:57

If you are offended by that, there is a track by Corky and the Juice Pigs that will knock your socks (paws?) off.

Tristan
28-Sep-08, 22:59
Try telling that to the countless poor souls that are the victims of panda muggings each year :)

More importantly the random killing at restaurants.

Gizmo
I am informed authors can lock threads. I'll give it a few minutes, and then lockity.

Don't do that...where's your spine gone MM?

Torvaig
Sentient words Tristan, sentient words.

Careful TBH; someone may not know the meaning of sentient.......
"sentient....capable of feeling" or so it says in my dictionary.;)

loobyloo
28-Sep-08, 23:01

I think you'll find that the majority of those pandas are care leavers (ie zoos), or dyslexic, or have other problems of a socially deprived nature and most of them would not approve of the panda type violence to which you are alluding :) Apologies, Russell Brand is on the telly in the background and he's fair putting me off.....

Torvaig
28-Sep-08, 23:01
[quote=Melancholy Man;438918]I am informed authors can lock threads. I'll give it a few minutes, and then lockity.

Chicken.....:lol:

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 23:02
Careful TBH; someone may not know the meaning of sentient.......
"sentient....capable of feeling" or so it says in my dictionary.;)

Yeah, i had to look it up, but iv'e had to do that a LOT over the last couple of days :lol:

wifie
28-Sep-08, 23:02
I think you'll find that the majority of those pandas are care leavers (ie zoos), or dyslexic, or have other problems of a socially deprived nature and most of them would not approve of the panda type violence to which you are alluding :) Apologies, Russell Brand is on the telly in the background and he's fair putting me off.....

Looby fancies Russell......................[lol]

Gizmo
28-Sep-08, 23:05

Rubbish!...ALL pandas are mean spirited hateful beasts and would steal your socks while you sleep

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 23:05
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:bQAZgllVyPjkLM:http://www.tocqueville.culture.fr/images/lieux/meche_2.jpg