PDA

View Full Version : Local Hero

percy toboggan
28-Sep-08, 17:08
Free with The Observer today! (in England anyway - probably Scotland too)
As recently as two or three years ago the film on dvd was very difficult to get hold of - £70 at Amazon and going for big money on e.bay...I'm not sure why...anyway...

..I love the film so much I bought two! - and I already have it.
Being a bit evangelical about the movie I shall present one to a deserving friend
Might be a bit late to get one now though I suppose.

(a paper, not a mate :()

Fran
28-Sep-08, 17:26
I have this film too, watched it a few times, as it is near to my mothers home and we used to go there a lot.

percy toboggan
28-Sep-08, 17:28
I have this film too, watched it a few times, as it is near to my mothers home and we used to go there a lot.

Which bit?
The 'village' scenes were shot on the other side of the country to the 'beach' scenes. I love both locations but they are dramatically different,

Fran
28-Sep-08, 17:32
The village scenes were definetly at Penan. the pub and phone box etc are just the same, the pub recently opened after the flooding renovations.

percy toboggan
28-Sep-08, 17:58
Yep...I visited Pennan. The 'phone box was decidedly different to the one depicted in the film in its location. Shame really...a lost opportunity. The pub is surely different to the one in the film too. We went in what was the only pub there and the interior was hideously bland and lined in light coloured wood. Looked more like a city centre wine-bar. A bit of a let-down.

That said Penan is a dramatic place, nestling at the foot of those huge cliffs.Well worth seeing and to live there could be challenging , and wonderful in equal measure.

Invader
29-Sep-08, 10:20
The phone box in Pennan was not the one used in the film, that was a prop set in somebody's drying area next to the harbour.
The "Hotel" in the movie was actually a few houses on the shore front, (I know this, because my wife's cousin was living in one of them!)
The inside bar scenes were filmed at the Lachailort Inn near Loch Eilt, which is also where the church and helicopter scenes were shot, and all the bits on the beach were filmed at Camusdarach, Morar.
Pennan is a lovely wee village though, and well worth a visit if yu're passing, even just to have a bowl of the superb Cullin Skink in the hotel!!

wifie
29-Sep-08, 10:44
Thanks Invader - one of my favourite films! Forgot it was available on DVD free in the paper tho! :( OH mentioned it on Saturday night and I thought oh that would be handy - that is as far as I got! Drat!

percy toboggan
29-Sep-08, 18:45
Expect a few to turn up on e.bay. This one starts at fifty pence!

Unlike some of the others which go up to thirty five quid!
I wish I'd bought another one for you now Wifie. Although the paper ain't cheap at £1.90...it wasn't a bad read, but I prefer the Mail on 'Sunday' http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Local-Hero-DVD-2001-Observer-Promo-copy_W0QQitemZ130258997827QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 130258997827&_trkparms=72%3A1297%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

percy toboggan
29-Sep-08, 18:49
The phone box in Pennan was not the one used in the film, that was a prop set in somebody's drying area next to the harbour.
The "Hotel" in the movie was actually a few houses on the shore front, (I know this, because my wife's cousin was living in one of them!)
The inside bar scenes were filmed at the Lachailort Inn near Loch Eilt, which is also where the church and helicopter scenes were shot, and all the bits on the beach were filmed at Camusdarach, Morar.
Pennan is a lovely wee village though, and well worth a visit if yu're passing, even just to have a bowl of the superb Cullin Skink in the hotel!!

I didn't know about the indoor pub scenes. I must visit next time I'm up the 'road to the isles'. The rest I'd deduced. The beach in question is in my opinion the best in the country..there is simply no comparison. I just hope giving the dvd away free does not result in hordes of hitherto ignorant folk tramping through the dunes to see its wonders.

wifie
29-Sep-08, 23:20
Help ma bob £1.90? What else did you get for that Percy?

percy toboggan
30-Sep-08, 19:27
Help ma bob £1.90? What else did you get for that Percy?

One heck of a thick newspaper.
I have set events in train which might bring about a copy of the dvd for you if you want it...stay tuned.