PDA

View Full Version : Latest inane rambling from Alex Salmond

Faithers Appprentice
27-Sep-08, 21:31
I read this in today's Herald
Never one to miss an opportunity to please the something for nothing electorate Alex Salmond turns his attention to football and the subject of internationals on TV

Our opportunist First Minister will "push" for Scotland's internationals to be aired free on TV ( not that the BBC or ITV are free ).

Alex, unsurprisingly, has no suggestions as to how the SFA are to be compensated if the games are no longer to benefit from competitive bidding.

In these times of great financial constraints, are the Scottish Government going to pump the 60 million for the National Team games that Setanta are paying at the moment?

He really is useless.

Melancholy Man
28-Sep-08, 13:33
He is the First Minister of a supposedly mature and responsible legislature, and always tends towards the hyperbole and accusation. You need a bit of emotional intelligence, pal. Either that or those tax raising powers you 'demand'. And, I mean that in the sense that the danegeld from Westminster is slashed. It ought to focus minds.

sweetpea
28-Sep-08, 23:22
Apparently he is making an appearance here tommorrow if you want to get him face to face. I've read several mentions of this in various nationals all week.

WeeBurd
28-Sep-08, 23:45
What, you mean on T'Org????

Cripes! Hide the pitchforks! Keep Percy locked in the cupboard! Someone confiscate Dook's boomerang! [lol] Faither's Appprentice needs dragged out of the Org bar... oh, I see someone's onto that already, lol! [lol]

theone
29-Sep-08, 01:00
Whenever I have watched Salmond I have been impressed at his ability to impress without actually answering any questions. His debating technique and public speaking is excellent.

Statements like todays will win votes. Of course it makes sense to have Scotland games on TV, thats what many people want.

As mentioned in the first post, the internationals are on setanta because they bid the most to show them. That money goes to the SFA, which then reinvests in football. Where would this investment come from if it wasn't TV money?

Salmond criticises London 2012 at every opportunity, and whilst I don't disagree with him the irony of his support of the commonwealth games in Glasgow does not escape me.

TBH
29-Sep-08, 01:20
Alex Salmond is the greatest politician Scotland has produced in a long while, savour him while you can.

theone
29-Sep-08, 03:25
Alex Salmond is the greatest politician Scotland has produced in a long while, savour him while you can.

Interesting comment!

If he's good, we won't have to worry about losing him, he'll last for as long as he is voted for.

JAWS
29-Sep-08, 06:41
Alex Salmond, the greatest politician Scotland has produced? Somebody really ought to do a little more research into Scottish History.
Now if he were trying for the accolade of being Scotland’s most pathetic and ineffectual windbag he would give William Topaz McGonagall a good run for his money.
Come to think of it, by comparison, McGonagall appears more intelligent and makes far more sense.

Melancholy Man
29-Sep-08, 11:12

Has Donald Dewer been air-brushed from history already (not the mention all of those who've gone to run the UK)? Where's the Fish-heid visiting?

Rheghead
29-Sep-08, 11:15

I have to agree with you on that one.

Fly
29-Sep-08, 23:08

If he is the best, God help Scotland

golach
29-Sep-08, 23:11
This is his latest mad cap scheme
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article4842958.ece

Melancholy Man
30-Sep-08, 00:06
Make cheques payable to W Mitty.

Oddquine
30-Sep-08, 10:33
This is his latest mad cap scheme
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article4842958.ece

What's mad cap about it? :confused

According to the article............

Governments across the world are looking towards the Middle East to secure long-term finance from the state-owned investment funds in countries such as Qatar, built up on the back of massive profits from oil. Qatar’s fund is already said to be worth $60 billion (£32.5 billion) and is expected to double over the next few years.

golach
30-Sep-08, 10:38
What's mad cap about it? :confused

According to the article............

Governments across the world are looking towards the Middle East to secure long-term finance from the state-owned investment funds in countries such as Qatar, built up on the back of massive profits from oil. Qatar’s fund is already said to be worth $60 billion (£32.5 billion) and is expected to double over the next few years.

We, Scotland, are going like beggars to the Arab Banks, Wee Eck has been telling us that Scotland can stand on its own two feet and be Independent.......Aye Right,

Angela
30-Sep-08, 10:52
Inane ramblings? Well, he's not alone!

Anyone listened to George Bush recently? The look of sheer relief on his face when he actually makes it to the end of a sentence is a sight to behold.

Sarah Palin's recent flounderings on foreign policy, as shown by her remarks on Russians and American airspace, gave us a woman who couldn't manage to construct a coherent thought, let alone an understandable sentence.

And then we had George Osborne yesterday - casting as much blame as possible for a global crisis onto the present government, before pulling a plump juicy rabbit out of his conjuror's hat in the shape of a promised council tax freeze. Wonder where that 'new' idea came from? ;)

We'll be seeing much more of the Cameron & Osborne double act before too long I fear. Heaven help us all! :roll:

Oddquine
30-Sep-08, 11:03
We, Scotland, are going like beggars to the Arab Banks, Wee Eck has been telling us that Scotland can stand on its own two feet and be Independent.......Aye Right,

But golach.........standing on one's own two feet and being independent means borrowing............just as the UK does.............it doesn't mean saving up and not buying until you have all the cash in the bank.

Standing on one's own two feet and being independent means being able to pay the borrowing back over the agreed time scale.

Standing on one's own two feet and being independent means sourcing borrowing on the best terms available.............and if that is an Arab bank..........so be it.

Do you feel like a beggar when taking out a mortgage? :confused

golach
30-Sep-08, 11:11
But golach.........standing on one's own two feet and being independent means borrowing............just as the UK does.............it doesn't mean saving up and not buying until you have all the cash in the bank.

Standing on one's own two feet and being independent means being able to pay the borrowing back over the agreed time scale.

Standing on one's own two feet and being independent means sourcing borrowing on the best terms available.............and if that is an Arab bank..........so be it.

Do you feel like a beggar when taking out a mortgage? :confused
If you want to be in hock to the Arabs, then so be it, I don't wish to go down that IMO slippery slope.
I have no mortgage, I have no debt, I pay my way, if I and I suppose many others can do this why not Wee Eck?

gleeber
30-Sep-08, 11:25
I've been drawn towards the idea of independance for a few months now.
Alex Salmond is an honourable politician no less honourable than any other politician we see on our boxes every day. He is under constant attention and scrutiny and still manages to be respectful towards his opponents.
Some of the derogatory stuff being said about him here is rather personal and I wonder if their source is not more embedded in the innane character of his accusers than in Mr Salmond.
Alex Salmond is a modern day William Wallace whose time has come.

Melancholy Man
30-Sep-08, 12:16

He's going to be ditched by his own side, before being dragged naked through London and hanged-drawn-and-quartered? What an odd endorsement.

Oddquine, it's rather unfortunate that you should use mortgaging as an analogy in the current economic climate! As if turning on a sixpence, we now hear "standing on her own two feet" being defined not as having the resources and capital to realize it, but needing to go abroad to the notoriously corrupt and venal Arab oil {1}. What's changed? Oh yes, the banking crash! Which, as we all know, Salmond had such a perfect grasp on and sense of the causes of HBoS.

People looking for looking for a mortgage were looking for a place of abode, which they did not have before. Scotland, under no reasonable definition, can be said to be politically disenfranchized or socially discriminated against compared to the rest of either the world or UK stages.

Fair enough if you harbour an irrational and emotional dislike of Westminster rule, and would tout around for anything else. It's just you can't portray it as progressive.

{1} And, once again, I hope he has a business plan for repaying all the investment made in Scotland post-1945. It goes far above that which came from North Sea oil.

Rheghead
30-Sep-08, 15:23
If you want to be in hock to the Arabs, then so be it, I don't wish to go down that IMO slippery slope.
I have no mortgage, I have no debt, I pay my way, if I and I suppose many others can do this why not Wee Eck?

Don't pursue it golach, she'd run round in rags before saying Independence isn't working.

golach
30-Sep-08, 15:37
I've been drawn towards the idea of independance for a few months now.
Alex Salmond is an honourable politician no less honourable than any other politician we see on our boxes every day. He is under constant attention and scrutiny and still manages to be respectful towards his opponents.
Some of the derogatory stuff being said about him here is rather personal and I wonder if their source is not more embedded in the innane character of his accusers than in Mr Salmond.
And this is the action of honourable politicians if there are such beings, and Alex has his nose in the trough along with the rest of them.

http://news.scotsman.com/politiciansexpenses/MSPs-award-themselves-14m-rise.4182516.jp
Why does he still draw two salaries? When was the last time he sat in Westminster? The man is a money grabbing carpet bagger, who has his snout in Donald Trumps purse too IMO.

Rheghead
30-Sep-08, 17:39
And this is the action of honourable politicians if there are such beings, and Alex has his nose in the trough along with the rest of them.

http://news.scotsman.com/politiciansexpenses/MSPs-award-themselves-14m-rise.4182516.jp
Why does he still draw two salaries? When was the last time he sat in Westminster? The man is a money grabbing carpet bagger, who has his snout in Donald Trumps purse too IMO.

That is interesting golach, that increase in expenses is more in terms of taxation per Scot than what the Civil list costs us.

Oddquine
30-Sep-08, 17:39

Can't see a problem borrowing from Arabs......why do you? :confused

I'd have thought there would be less influence on the country by funding a bridge as opposed to owning a fifth of the London Stock Exchange for example.

The UK as a whole would be a sorry place if Arab banks got together and unilaterally sold off all their holdings here.

financial experts have said that borrowing money from the Middle East is a sound move!

After all, the Middle East is where the money happens to be at the moment...it certainly isn't in the UK banks. :roll:

Rheghead
30-Sep-08, 17:42

That is interesting golach, that increase in expenses for MSPs costs more than double in terms of taxation per Scot than what the Civil list costs us.

Alice in Blunderland
30-Sep-08, 17:56
He's going to be ditched by his own side, before being dragged naked through London

Oh No Please not that........ anything but a naked Alex Salmond .... :eek: :lol: being dragged round anywhere.

Melancholy Man
30-Sep-08, 18:51
Except, Rheggie, I doubt it'll be her who wears sackcloth. She's at the end of her working life and, I assume, has a relatively reasonable level of affluence in a fairly safe and clean part of the country. Maybe not a golden, but certainly silver-plated parachute.

Can't see a problem borrowing from Arabs.

As you know, Golach was referring to Arab banks. I too don't see a problem with borrowing from Arabs: Ralph Nader is a lovely chap. But autocratic, venal Sheiks? Yes. Pursuing the mortgage analogy, this is the equivalent of your tenant taking out a second mortgage on a stable house. I bet you thought you were saying something else.

I'd have thought there would be less influence on the country by funding a bridge as opposed to owning a fifth of the London Stock Exchange for example.I say, old bean, what bizarre logic! I'd have thought that murder was a worse crime than theft, but I ain't going to offer my bank card and pin number to any passersby!

There is no dichotomy in expressing concern at the above (or Russian billionaires for that matter) and *also* expressing concern at this local deal.

The UK as a whole would be a sorry place if Arab banks got together and unilaterally sold off all their holdings hereThis sounds like a besotted gangster's moll threatening workers in an entire country to keep quiet lest they want the financial carpet pulled from beneath their feet. Quite shocking from a so-called campaigner for self-determination.

financial experts have said that borrowing money from the Middle East is a sound move!Are these the same financial experts who said demutalization of building societies and bribery with assets built up over 150 years was a good move? The same financial experts who recommended offering 100% plus mortgages to middle-management level workers? The same financial experts who were part of a system which saw hyenas fall on the wounded HBoS?

Those financial experts?

After all, the Middle East is where the money happens to be at the moment...it certainly isn't in the UK banks. :roll:Of course it is.