PDA

View Full Version : New House Name

marlyn
27-Sep-08, 18:57
Help needed please!!

We are sadly leaving the area and are thinking about a name for our new house. Now we would really like a caithness word or name.

Suggestions please...

joxville
27-Sep-08, 19:21
How about Dunsnipin? [lol]

pat
27-Sep-08, 19:21
If moving away why not use where you live at present - Scrabster or some other ideas from local areas - Thurso, Pentland, Orkney View, Stroma, Ola, Groats, Dunnet, Dounreay, Reay, Tongue, Bettyhill,Castletown, Causewaymire, Peat Lands, North Coast, depends what type of name you want - something somefolk will understand or just for you to know what it means, so many names unless you have an idea already it is quite difficult.

Tighsonas4
27-Sep-08, 19:26
seeing your in scrabster what about pentland view or something of that ilk all the best tony

justine
27-Sep-08, 20:20
Maybe you could go with the name of the first place that really took your interest up here. Somewhere that means something to you and the family, or just you and oh..

Aaldtimer
27-Sep-08, 20:25
Something in Gaelic perhaps? ;)

Alice in Blunderland
27-Sep-08, 20:47
Something in Gaelic perhaps?

Highland Council might even pay for the sign :lol: as a farewell pressie ;)

Anne x
27-Sep-08, 21:41
Morven maybe

bobandag16
27-Sep-08, 21:59
Help needed please!!

We are sadly leaving the area and are thinking about a name for our new house. Now we would really like a caithness word or name.

Suggestions please...
just caithness.

Torvaig
27-Sep-08, 22:03
Or the old way of spelling it......Kaitness......anyway, good luck and happiness in your new abode! :)

Anne x
27-Sep-08, 22:19
just caithness.

I but you can View it from most of it and counties afar :lol:

Westerdale then

purplelady
27-Sep-08, 23:08
I think pentland view is a good one

balto
27-Sep-08, 23:12
how about the name the ferry has is it hamnavo(havent got a clue how to spell it)that way it isnt directly linked to caithness, but wil have memories for you.

Welcomefamily
27-Sep-08, 23:24
Onlyapostaway. your only a post a way on the org so you can never be far from caithness.

brokencross
28-Sep-08, 09:36
Whatabout BARSCREST or BARS CREST or BARCRESTS or CRESTS BAR or even BRA CRESTS all anagrams of Scrabster and would certainly be a talking point and icebreaker at you new home.

Failing that simply the "The Brae" to remind you of all the ups and downs of your time in Scrabster. (Brae...ups and downs...do you get it??)

Valerie Campbell
28-Sep-08, 15:27
What about Scorrie Cottage? Plenty of scorries around Scrabster after all...

marlyn
28-Sep-08, 16:59
thank you for all your replies so far!

Kaitness is one that my husband suggested - hasn't grabbed me though.

Pentland View - just couldn't do that, would always be thinking of the nursing home.

Morven - got a sister in law called that.

I really though Boug (sp?) was great - but him indoors didn't, I like Achavarasdal but don't know if I could be bothered with having to spell it all the time.

Keep them coming though! especially any Caithness words.

scaraben
28-Sep-08, 17:01
Has G O T to be SCARABEN !

brokencross
28-Sep-08, 17:23
Holburn House

Pentland Sunbeam (the Firth and the terrace in Scrabster near the harbour)