PDA

View Full Version : Giving blood

wee sparkle
27-Sep-08, 17:17
I noticed the other day in the High school a poster advertising the fact that in the assembly rooms in Wick on Tuesday you could give blood. I checked with friends and found the age had been lowered to 17 and thought i would donate some, i was just curious as to what happens when your there, as this is my first time and i have not a clue how it all works:lol:. I really want to do it though, and i've never been bothered by needles so why not :p

x

Sapphire2803
27-Sep-08, 17:20
They ask you to fill in a form/questionnaire and then when it's your turn they stick a needle in your arm and take blood, you get to lay down for 15 mins or so while they do it.

Then if your lucky you'll get a biccy and a cuppa before you leave :D

balto
27-Sep-08, 17:23
I noticed the other day in the High school a poster advertising the fact that in the assembly rooms in Wick on Tuesday you could give blood. I checked with friends and found the age had been lowered to 17 and thought i would donate some, i was just curious as to what happens when your there, as this is my first time and i have not a clue how it all works:lol:. I really want to do it though, and i've never been bothered by needles so why not :p

xit is a really good thing to do, i do it normally, but as i am pregnant just now i am not allowed, when you 1st go in you have to sit and wait for the nurse to come and get you, then as it is your 1st time you have to fill in a form asking about your health and stuuf, then you get your finger pricked to make sure you arent anemic, then if it is all fine then you have to wait again unto a bed becomes available, and you get the choice of your left or right arm, then it is a case of them taking the blood which can take up to 10 mins, then it is a case of sitting down to have a cup of tea and a biscuit for 5mins to make sure you feel ok, very straight forward really. good lucck with it.

wee sparkle
27-Sep-08, 17:26
Thanks for your help :D thats reassured me quite a bit! I really want to do it so i'm gonna go ahead, i just hadn't a clue what they did to you :eek:, but i think i can cope with laying down for 15 mins then drinking tea =D........i think i'll be fine =P

x

balto
27-Sep-08, 17:29
Thanks for your help :D thats reassured me quite a bit! I really want to do it so i'm gonna go ahead, i just hadn't a clue what they did to you :eek:, but i think i can cope with laying down for 15 mins then drinking tea =D........i think i'll be fine =P

x
you will be fine, just think of all the people that it could help,just by you giving a pint of blood, well done.

wee sparkle
27-Sep-08, 17:39
Aww thank you =D thats a really encouraging thought and thats what i was thinking about last night. My mum agreed to it as well, and i think i might be able to persuade a few friends =P. its a good feeling knowing that you're potentially helping someone who really needs it =)

x

balto
27-Sep-08, 17:42
Aww thank you =D thats a really encouraging thought and thats what i was thinking about last night. My mum agreed to it as well, and i think i might be able to persuade a few friends =P. its a good feeling knowing that you're potentially helping someone who really needs it =)

x
aye when you think that it only can take a teaspoon of blood to help a premature baby, sure if you went round all your friends and family then you will get a few more willing bodies to go aswell.

jings00
27-Sep-08, 18:05
good for you, persuade your friends too!!
I got my silver badge for 25pints two or three blood givings ago, chuffed wasn't the word !!

Tymey
27-Sep-08, 18:38
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-04/ns-cbt042308.php

Interesting article published recently in New Scientist.

justine
27-Sep-08, 18:58
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-04/ns-cbt042308.php

Interesting article published recently in New Scientist.

Strangely enough it can. I had 3 pints given 6 years ago, got completly the wrong type of blood given and now i make antibodies against my own blood.
But i would still go for blood donating, as long as someone needs my type they can have it, but would never have another blood transfusion.

balto
27-Sep-08, 19:02
Strangely enough it can. I had 3 pints given 6 years ago, got completly the wrong type of blood given and now i make antibodies against my own blood.
But i would still go for blood donating, as long as someone needs my type they can have it, but would never have another blood transfusion.
a mate of mine always told me that as she had been given a blood tranfusion then she could donate, me thinks mayby she is telling porkies.

justine
27-Sep-08, 19:04
a mate of mine always told me that as she had been given a blood tranfusion then she could donate, me thinks mayby she is telling porkies.

No you cant give blood once you have had a transfusion, but if it was available in the future then it would be an open option for some. I dont thinkt hat your friend was telling any porkies.

Although being able to donate blood that may be compatiable with someone with the same antigens would be helpful.

wifie
27-Sep-08, 20:40
Go for it wee sparkle! My OH has donated around 40 times and it is very worthwhile. I however was told not to come back as my blood was not rare and it was difficult to get blood from me. :( I don't mind tho as my OH has inspired both my children to give blood once they are old enough. :)

dook
27-Sep-08, 20:50
When I was giving blood a couple o years ago, the nurse jabbed my finger and when she gave it a wee squeeze to get a drop of blood out for the test, a jet came out as if she'd nicked an artery. The haemo tracer shot up across her whites, over her face and perfectly bi sected one of the lenses of her glasses. Next thing the man behind me (big 6'4" monster) went white and hit the deck whacking his head on the way down. Nurses, doctors, even the woman who made the orange juice ran over to help bring the boy round.

Happens all the time she said!!!

balto
27-Sep-08, 21:29
When I was giving blood a couple o years ago, the nurse jabbed my finger and when she gave it a wee squeeze to get a drop of blood out for the test, a jet came out as if she'd nicked an artery. The haemo tracer shot up across her whites, over her face and perfectly bi sected one of the lenses of her glasses. Next thing the man behind me (big 6'4" monster) went white and hit the deck whacking his head on the way down. Nurses, doctors, even the woman who made the orange juice ran over to help bring the boy round.

Happens all the time she said!!!
so did you go back for a second shot.:D

Fluff
27-Sep-08, 22:21
Wee sparkle, good on you. It won't hurt but you will be aware of the needle in your arm. Just make sure you take it easy the rest of the day as everyone reacts diffrently. I always feel very unwell and lightheaded after (once fainting at the train station lol) but my partner has never had any problems, he feels fine.
It is a great feeling knowing you are doing something so so easy but can make sure a huge differnce!

Ricco
28-Sep-08, 12:10

x

Wee Sparkle - don't you worry at all. There is obviously a small sharp pain as the needle goes in but it is soon done. I have given 56 lots now so it can't be too bad!
:D

cazmanian_minx
28-Sep-08, 13:24
I've had to stop donating :~( The haemoglobin requirement in Scotland is 125 vs 120 in England and no matter how much spinach and steak I eat, I can't get mine over 123.

wee sparkle
28-Sep-08, 17:34
Wow! I think i'll definately go now! It really sounds rewarding The only thing that will possibly get in my way is this new HPV vaccination for teenage girls.....im supposed to get mine on monday, but my mum said they probably wont take me immediately after vaccination, and so because im stubborn im going to delay my vaccination and give blood first:D I can just get it at the school anytime after tuesday.

I have never fainted before, so am a bit feird of that, but i can deal with feeling ill afterwards =D.

dirdyweeker
28-Sep-08, 17:50
I've had to stop donating :~( The haemoglobin requirement in Scotland is 125 vs 120 in England and no matter how much spinach and steak I eat, I can't get mine over 123.

Why then do you not consider Platelet donations? I give Platelets every month in Raigmore. You do not get expenses refunded as it is purely on a voluntary basis and cannot be done in Wick or Thurso etc
One Platelet donation can help 2 - 3 adults or about 10 to 12 babies/children.
It gives me a good excuse to have a days shopping in Inverness! (you do not feel any different after donation)
Have included a link. Maybe some of you would give it a lot of thought as I know they are very short of volunteers.

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/platelets.html

balto
28-Sep-08, 18:06
Wow! I think i'll definately go now! It really sounds rewarding The only thing that will possibly get in my way is this new HPV vaccination for teenage girls.....im supposed to get mine on monday, but my mum said they probably wont take me immediately after vaccination, and so because im stubborn im going to delay my vaccination and give blood first:D I can just get it at the school anytime after tuesday.

I have never fainted before, so am a bit feird of that, but i can deal with feeling ill afterwards =D.
you just make sure that you get your injection as soon as you can afterwards, it is to important.

Tristan
28-Sep-08, 19:05

Make sure you are well hydrated and eat a good breakfast and lunch to keep your blood sugar up.

wee sparkle
28-Sep-08, 20:15
Will do! Dont mind anything like needles or that, just dont want to faint :lol:

Im going to ask for my vaccination later in the week, im definately still getting it, il just delay it a few days:Razz

x

Alice in Blunderland
30-Sep-08, 18:36
Its quiet tonight on the org I take it ye all must have been off giving blood.

Anyone seen Wee sparkle did she keel over or is she still standing :D

sjr014
30-Sep-08, 18:43
Good on ya wee sparkle hope it went ok?! I had a baby not so long ago so not able to donate again yet but i usually go! Painless and as evey1 says u get til kick back for a while and get a coffee for ur efforts! :D

Alice in Blunderland
30-Sep-08, 19:11
Heard Wee sparkle is in town having a chinese so I can only assume all went well :)

wee sparkle
30-Sep-08, 21:01
Hahaha im still standing!.....Alive and well!

And i didn't keel over!:D

I got 3 cups of juice and 2 biscuits for my efforts =P

The nurse told me i did very well, since most lassies dont make it past the stage where they ############### your finger to test your red blood cell levels :lol:. Most faint after that! So im quite pleased, i just listened to my ipod for ten minutes whilest squeezing a scrunched up bit of cloth, T'was rather easy and painless.

I didn't have anesthetic either! =D Go Me! Haha

dirdyweeker
30-Sep-08, 22:24
Good on you wee sparkle. Just think someone somewhere will already be benfiting from your good deed.
Do you still get a wee badge after your 10th?

tigger2u
01-Oct-08, 00:22
Well done and I hope you continue for a long long time. It sounds like you are getting ready to get others onboard now too. lets us know who else you manage to get started

Ive been doing it on and off since i was 18, now at 41, I'm not allowed to due to a health problem. But I'll be back donating in a year or so :Razz it seems weird not doing now as I have got 31 donations now so aiming at the 50 mark.

So Im trying to get my wife and older son to do it just now, in my place hehehe so If i get them to do it for me, I wont mind waiting a wee while more till i reach that goal.

I wish i could do more too like platelets etc but im the wrong blood type for that. We all should have a look and see how we can help in any small way. Organ, Bonemarrow etc after all none of us know it we or our dearest could need the same.

The Angel Of Death
01-Oct-08, 09:23

No you cant give blood once you have had a transfusion

As long as the transfusion was made BEFORE 1980 your still aloud to donate (like i am) but anytime after and you cant donate unfortunately

wee sparkle
08-Oct-08, 13:37
Thanks tigger2u, i managed to convince one of my guy mates to join me, and then found out that three or four more of my friends went but at a different time than me, so from the 6th year a good handful went to it.

I appologise for not being on for a while :lol: school is quite busy and the homework pile is almost at the roof! lol

x

Nibbler
08-Oct-08, 14:51
Good on you for doing this Wee Sparkle :p.

Glad you managed it okay. I hate needles but need to wait till after two years (I think) after being tattooed before you can donate blood. I know, for someone who hates needles I can stand being tattooed!! Doesn't make much sense.

It was good you also managed to get some of your friends there too.

Hope your head is no soo sore and you make it to school tomorrow. Its no long till e holidays now is it??? Monday they start???

tan422
08-Oct-08, 20:35
i was gutted that i couldn't give blood this time and for the next year, i got a tattoo 8 weeks ago and I can't give blood for a year after the tattoo, i never reliased that it would be so long after :(

George Brims
09-Oct-08, 01:01
Wee sparkle, good on you. It won't hurt but you will be aware of the needle in your arm. Just make sure you take it easy the rest of the day as everyone reacts diffrently. I always feel very unwell and lightheaded after (once fainting at the train station lol) but my partner has never had any problems, he feels fine.
Definitely do not do the following:
(1) Play squash for 1/2 hour.
(2) Play squash for another 1/2 hour as the guys who had booked the court didn't turn up (student union courts).
(3) Give blood.
(4) Skip the offered juice or tea and join your mates for two pints of heavy (well the bar was right next to the gym where they were doing the blood thing).
(5) Get on your bike and try to ride home in the Edinburgh evening traffic.
I survived. Did however have to get off the bike and walk for a bit!

rockchick
09-Oct-08, 02:57
Definitely do not do the following:
(1) Play squash for 1/2 hour.
(2) Play squash for another 1/2 hour as the guys who had booked the court didn't turn up (student union courts).
(3) Give blood.
(4) Skip the offered juice or tea and join your mates for two pints of heavy (well the bar was right next to the gym where they were doing the blood thing).
(5) Get on your bike and try to ride home in the Edinburgh evening traffic.
I survived. Did however have to get off the bike and walk for a bit!

Errr...thanks for the advice, George!

the charlatans
09-Oct-08, 20:36
Why then do you not consider Platelet donations? I give Platelets every month in Raigmore. You do not get expenses refunded as it is purely on a voluntary basis and cannot be done in Wick or Thurso etc
One Platelet donation can help 2 - 3 adults or about 10 to 12 babies/children.
It gives me a good excuse to have a days shopping in Inverness! (you do not feel any different after donation)
Have included a link. Maybe some of you would give it a lot of thought as I know they are very short of volunteers.

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/platelets.html

I would like to thank everyone on here who gives blood or platelets. I've just had a very complicated pregnancy due to the fact I have negative platelets and had created antibodies after my first pregnancy. I had to have 9 transfusions this summer and this would not have been possible without donations of platelets. Also a donation of platelets was available for my new baby when she was born - which thankfully she did not need.
I have donated blood before but cannot any longer after the transfusions and most of my friends have been in and given a pint after this summer. So having been on the receiving end, thank you for your selfless gift, it is most gratefully received.