PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen monitor problem

badger
27-Sep-08, 15:58
A friend of mine has been given a 22" Hanns.G widescreen monitor and now finds everything, including family photos, is stretched horizontally. We have both spent ages looking at the manual but can't find anything useful - it's pretty unfriendly - and can't seem to adjust any other settings. Any suggestions for reducing the width to normal size?

blueivy
27-Sep-08, 16:49
A friend of mine has been given a 22" Hanns.G widescreen monitor and now finds everything, including family photos, is stretched horizontally. We have both spent ages looking at the manual but can't find anything useful - it's pretty unfriendly - and can't seem to adjust any other settings. Any suggestions for reducing the width to normal size?

What is your screen resolution set to? Can you see the start bar at the bottom of the screen and if you maximise a window, can you see the top and bottom of it?

badger
27-Sep-08, 18:25
Unfortunately since it's not mine I can't try anything. Am posting for friend as they can't get broadband (no capacity at local exchange - don't ask !) . We did try changing the resolution but couldn't get it to anything sensible. Everything else looks like normal (including maximising) but streeeeetched. Didn't try grabbing handles but he really wants it permanently changed so family pics. etc. don't look so odd.

What's the point of a widescreen monitor anyway. It's not like tv.

blueivy
27-Sep-08, 18:38
Unfortunately since it's not mine I can't try anything. Am posting for friend as they can't get broadband (no capacity at local exchange - don't ask !) . We did try changing the resolution but couldn't get it to anything sensible. Everything else looks like normal (including maximising) but streeeeetched. Didn't try grabbing handles but he really wants it permanently changed so family pics. etc. don't look so odd.

I have a 19" widescreen monitor and the resolution is set to 1440x900. If I set it to different resolutions weird things happen such as stretching and compressing etc. It's to do with how the monitor handles those resolutions. I'm not saying this is the issue, however it could be. My first suggestion is that he sets the resolution to a widescreen resolution such as 1440 x 900 and then work from there.

What's the point of a widescreen monitor anyway. It's not like tv.

I don't like widescreen monitors too much unless they are big in height. I have a 19" non-widescreen and a 19" widescreen and I much prefer the 19" non. However a 22" widescreen would give you the height and the width and probably be a good compromise.

Anyway, I'm waffling .... :lol:

badger
27-Sep-08, 19:55
Thanks Paul (waffle on :) ). This monitor doesn't seem to have more height than his old one - he has them side by side so easy to see. Old one isn't flat screen though. I'll tell him to try resolution anyway.