PDA

View Full Version : Fudge/tablet

balto
26-Sep-08, 18:25
As i am on maternity leave i am starting to do more baking and stuff for the kids, now i want to try and make fudge or tablet(whatever is easiest), now i cant seem to find a basic recipe for it, so was wondering if anyone can help me.

alanatkie
26-Sep-08, 18:52
397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
150ml (5fl oz) milk
450g (1lb) demerara sugar
115g (4oz) butter

Method

Grease and base line an 18cm (7in) square tin with baking parchment.

Gently heat all the ingredients in a large, nonstick saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves.

Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously, until a temperature of 116ºC (240ºF) is reached on a sugar thermometer. Alternatively, test the fudge by dropping a little into a jug of cold water. If a soft ball is formed, the fudge is ready.

Remove from the heat. Beat until thick and grainy (about 10 minutes). Pour into the prepared tin and leave to cool. When cold, cut into squares.

Fudge can be stored for up to 1 month in an airtight container.

alanatkie
26-Sep-08, 18:55
Butter or margarine - half pound (225g)
Sweetened condensed milk - one pound (450g)
Castor sugar - 4 pounds (1.8kg)
Water - 1 pint (half litre)

Method
Using a non-stick pan, put the water on a low heat and melt in the butter. Add the sugar and bring to the boil. It is important to keep stirring all the time. Once it is boiling, stir in the condensed milk and simmer for 20 minutes. Again, keep stirring to avoid it sticking/burning. Take off the heat and beat vigorously for five minutes, adding the flavouring of your choice. Pour into a rectangular greased tin and once it is partly cooled, cut into bars (roughly 5 inches long by 1/2 inches wide). Once the tablet is cold, wrap the bars in waxed paper and store in an airtight jar or tin.

balto
26-Sep-08, 20:38
cheers for that, they both seem straightforward, so easy i might do both of them.

EmZ
16-Oct-08, 18:28
cheers for that, they both seem straightforward, so easy i might do both of them.

im going 2 try them 2

LRM
16-Oct-08, 19:31
this one is really easy.

1lb 12 oz caster sugar
40z demerara sugar
4oz butter
1 large tin EVAPORATED milk
150g white chocolate

melt all sugar, butter and milk together slowlyon low heat, then once sugar dissolved boil exactly for 20 mins (remember and stir). Remove from heat then add white chocolate which will melt, yum yum. pour in dish and cool.