PDA

View Full Version : Clipping claws

Rheghead
26-Sep-08, 15:22
I need to clip the dog's claws to stop him sliding so much on wooden flooring as he keeps pulling muscles, anyone know where I can get them done or know how to give advice on diy clipping?

unicorn
26-Sep-08, 15:25
pmd you :D

porshiepoo
26-Sep-08, 16:43
If they are exceptionally long I would recommend the vet. If you cut too much back you will make them bleed and although not deadly it can be distressing (to you lol) and can bleed for ages.
I'd also recommend the vet if your dog isn't used to it.

DIY is what I do. All my dogs have it done from an early age (as soon as I get them) so they will literally stand still while I do it. You'd be amazed at the people I've seen at shows literally sitting on their dog or having 3 people hold it down!!! :eek:
You can get clippers from Pets at Home or online - go by the size of your dog for the size of the clipper. Start by taking just a little off, leave it a couple of days and then a little more. Keep doing that until they are at the right length. If your dog has pale claws you will be able to see the vein going through it - avoid this!!! If, like mine, your dog has dark claws it really is precaution until you are more experienced at it.
I also know people who use a Dremmel, but I'm guessing your dog would need to be accustomed to this first :eek:
Why not buy the clippers and get your vet to show you for the first time?

If you do happen to nick a vein - don't panic! There are stiptik type things you can get to help stop the blood but I've found dabbing the claw with Talc often works just as well in an emergency. Yep, even us old hands at it nick a vein every now and again.

Good luck!

unicorn
26-Sep-08, 19:07
cornflour works too if you catch the quick by mistake.

justine
26-Sep-08, 19:08
plenty of long walks on the concrete and grass should keep the claws down naturaly, no need for clipping.;)

But PAH do some good clippers, all sizes and they come with good instructions on how to clip, where to clip to and what to do if a mistake is done. Consult your vet to show you how to do it and then you could do it yourself from then on.Works out cheaper in the long run.:lol:
We have a rabbit that has misaligned teeth and we now clip her teeth. We were paying 8.00 at the vet to get her 2 teeth clipped, but now oh does it after talking to the vet and being shown how to do it.

Good luck, dont be worried, its easy when you get the hang of it.

ciggietime
28-Sep-08, 15:24
We walk our shar pei on pavements as much as possible to assist on keeping the claws short. However, we also use a pet nail file to weak the nails. Dependent upon the breed of dog and the colour of nails, Dremmel won't work - for example, on large, thick black claws. Their website states they were bringing out a large model in the spring of this year but it has not materialised.

As other posters have said, get your vet to show you and buy a styptic pencil (silver nitrate) in case you catch the quick. In Shar Pei, the quick grows all the way to the end of the nail which is a right pain, both for those cutting and the poor dog if you catch it!

Hope the above helps.

'Housework doesn't kill but why take the risk'