PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit help.

teenybash
26-Sep-08, 12:07
Talking to a friend last night who is worried about the family rabbit who is 5 years old.
The bun has developed red bald patches on two front paws and now one on hind foot. The skin is reddened and seems to go hard. She has cream from the vet, which is licked off as soon as put on....does anyone have any advice to what it could be. The rabbit has free run of the house and at night is in an indoor hutch...is a happy soul...but her young daughter has got it into her head he is going to die and is convinced the bald patches are a deadly disease.:~(

balto
26-Sep-08, 12:37
oh hope the rabbit is better soon, nothing worse than them being ill and your are not sure what is wrong especially for children.

Shabbychic
26-Sep-08, 12:44
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's rabbit. Poor wee thing. When the Vet supplied cream for the rabbit, did he not say what he thought it was?

All I can think of is maybe it is a reaction to chemicals in many every day products. For instance, what does your friend wash her floors with? If she has carpets, what does she use on them?

I think these are the type of things your friend should look into. If the cause is found, then the cure will be much easier.

Let us know how the wee soul gets on.

unicorn
26-Sep-08, 13:53
is it on top of the paw or undeneath? Does she have laminate flooring?

justine
26-Sep-08, 19:12
http://www.creaturecomfortsinc.com/PetPages/fleas.htm

This can cause the problem that you have described.

Petroleum jelly is sometimes recommended for rabbits feet for this condition.Hope you get it sorted out sooon for bunnies sake and the little one.

teenybash
27-Sep-08, 12:42
Thanks everybody...I shall pass the info on.
The floors are carpeted, as far as I know and nothing has changed in his environment.:)