PDA

View Full Version : Dicing with death

rockchick
26-Sep-08, 09:16
I've heard of botched suicide attempts, but this one really takes the cake:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7636577.stm

These women really wanted to go. I really feel sorry for the lorry driver!

Rheghead
26-Sep-08, 09:20
Absolutely incredible!:(

starry
26-Sep-08, 09:22
I watched that earlier and am completely gobsmacked.

I really feel sorry for the drivers and the emergency services, what a horrible situation to have to deal with.

porshiepoo
26-Sep-08, 09:25
OMG, that's unbelievable. What was going on in their minds to feel the need to resort to that???
The poor lorry driver!!!!

highlander
26-Sep-08, 09:25
Seen that last night, crazy woman and she only got one day in prison!

cd1977
26-Sep-08, 09:35
What is so illegal about walking up the central reservation?

And, as an aside, how pathetic was the policewoman?

bekisman
26-Sep-08, 10:03
"And, as an aside, how pathetic was the policewoman? "
Have to agree with you there, she chased after the woman - why on earth did she not use CS Spray (or whatever) or a truncheon or at least SOMETHING! to disable her??

rockchick
26-Sep-08, 10:20
"And, as an aside, how pathetic was the policewoman? "
Have to agree with you there, she chased after the woman - why on earth did she not use CS Spray (or whatever) or a truncheon or at least SOMETHING! to disable her??

The woman had been hit by a car...twice!...and still got up with enough strength that it took 6 people to subdue her. You think a truncheon is going to stop her???

cd1977
26-Sep-08, 10:26
If they had restrained them in the first place the incident could have been nipped in the bud.

I was seriously impressed with the Swedish double act despite everything that had gone before.

They certainly knew how to fight!

Has anyone established why they were wandering along the motorway?

starry
26-Sep-08, 10:34
If they had restrained them in the first place the incident could have been nipped in the bud.

I was seriously impressed with the Swedish double act despite everything that had gone before.

They certainly knew how to fight!

Has anyone established why they were wandering along the motorway?

I doubt the drivers who hit them would agree with you.

bekisman
26-Sep-08, 11:54
"You think a truncheon is going to stop her???"

If used properly, yes - believe me; I know.

_Ju_
26-Sep-08, 12:11

Because to get out of the central reservation they have to cross a highway and very likely would cause an accident. C'mon it is obvious. Silly question.

As for the police woman, no I wouldn't run after a nutter into traffic in the line of duty. Police are often at risk of harm and death but are not required to actively court it as going after this woman would.

balto
26-Sep-08, 12:12
one day in prison, that is shocking, afterall how many lives did these 2 idiots put in danger. totally disgusting.[disgust][disgust]

bekisman
26-Sep-08, 12:15
No one killed, here's the full version;
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142792&page=3 (http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142792&page=3)

cd1977
26-Sep-08, 12:20
"Because to get out of the central reservation they have to cross a highway and very likely would cause an accident. C'mon it is obvious. Silly question."

It might be a stupid thing to do, but is it illegal? That was the point of the question. So, legal boffins, is it illegal or just daft?

And has anyone come up with a reason why they were there in the first place?

DeHaviLand
26-Sep-08, 12:21
I thought that whole incident was unbelievable, just not quite as unbelievable as this post.:roll:

cd1977
26-Sep-08, 12:52
So a post on an internet messageboard, which bears absolutely no relation to real life, you find more unbelievable than the very real incident being discussed.

I find your definition of unbelievable unbelievable :roll:

DeHaviLand
26-Sep-08, 12:57
So a post on an internet messageboard, which bears absolutely no relation to real life, you find more unbelievable than the very real incident being discussed.

I find your definition of unbelievable unbelievable :roll:

Now we're getting somewhere. By your own admission, your post bears absolutely no relation to real life. Why bother? Sheesh:roll:

bekisman
26-Sep-08, 13:07
Swedish newspaper http://www.thelocal.se/14580/20080926/ (http://www.thelocal.se/14580/20080926/)

Bad Manners
26-Sep-08, 13:58
I still cant get my head round the fact she got a one day prison sentence at the very least this is reckless endangerment. I would have thought that it would have warrented a stiffer sentence after all it was just by LUCK that no one died.

cd1977
26-Sep-08, 14:11
"Now we're getting somewhere. By your own admission, your post bears absolutely no relation to real life. Why bother? Sheesh"

Just an exercise to extract pedantic replies, such as your own :roll:

Is it genuinely illegal to do this, anyone?

Oh, and DeHaviland - :roll:

Sapphire2803
26-Sep-08, 15:35
My God! You lot would argue about anything... ;)

Yes, it is illegal to walk on the motorway (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069862).

and that's something you should know if you drive... it's in the highway code.

cd1977
26-Sep-08, 15:57
But is the cental reservation encompassed in such legislation?

Ach, I dinna really care anyway :cool:

Cheers Sapphire

Sapphire2803
26-Sep-08, 16:11

Cheers Sapphire

Yup, the central reservation, the hard shoulder, the carriageway... anything that is considered part of the motorway.

:D

_Ju_
26-Sep-08, 16:20
"Because to get out of the central reservation they have to cross a highway and very likely would cause an accident. C'mon it is obvious. Silly question."

It might be a stupid thing to do, but is it illegal? That was the point of the question. So, legal boffins, is it illegal or just daft?

Yes it is illegal:
6) Motorways. Pedestrians MUST NOT be on motorways or slip roads except in an emergency (see Rules 271 and 275). [Laws RTRA sect 17, MT(E&W)R 1982 as amended, reg 15(1)(b) & MT(S)R reg 13]

trix
26-Sep-08, 16:22
My God! You lot would argue about anything... ;)

its great aint'ed? :lol:

Julia
26-Sep-08, 17:20
Just when you think the video is at it's worst it takes another turn! Maybe they were on drugs, you would have to out off your head to act like that!

northener
26-Sep-08, 19:27
The pair of silly bitches should have been banged up for 6 months. this wasn't just a case of two ignorant foreign visitors taking a short cut.

If it was, they wouldn't have reacted the way they did.

As for the copper not chasing the dipstick into the path of 70mph traffic...would you?

Armchair experts...............

Melancholy Man
26-Sep-08, 19:36

Were they teleported there?

And, as an aside, how pathetic was the policewoman?She pursued the woman into the carriageway. Felling her with CS gas or a truncheon would have reduced her profile to oncoming traffic, and then required officers to carry her off. Unless there is imminent thread of injury or if using immobilizing techniques would cause further risk to others, relying on manual restraint is entirely proper.

rockchick
26-Sep-08, 22:56
"You think a truncheon is going to stop her???"

If used properly, yes - believe me; I know.

If two full-size motor vehicles, one of which was a friggin LORRY, didn't stop her, how is a small wooden bleat going to do the trick?

I think these women must have been on something...

bekisman
26-Sep-08, 23:38
"She pursued the woman into the carriageway [traffic had stopped by then - See 4 minute point]. Felling her with CS gas or a truncheon would have reduced her profile to oncoming traffic [there was no traffic], and then required officers to carry her off. Unless there is imminent thread of injury [she was uncontrollable] or if using immobilizing techniques would cause further risk to others, relying on manual restraint is entirely proper"

"how is a small wooden bleat going to do the trick?" - [they 'aint made of wood] quote: "why on earth did she not use CS Spray (or whatever)"

Melancholy Man
26-Sep-08, 23:49
traffic had stopped by then - See 4 minute point

No. We saw her vaulting over the barrier immediately in pursuit. After being struck and knocked flat on her arse. Onto concrete. *Editing* then showed the woman and a male officer on the carriageway, with her climbing over in the background. If this was for the first time, where did the male officer come from?

there was no traffic

See above.

she was uncontrollable

She was not at imminent risk of assaulting a member of the public or the officers who were still *placing* *themselves* *in* *harms* *way*. Try facing down a six foot beserker and dismiss the officers' actions.

tigger2u
27-Sep-08, 01:26
I think they were just dropped off by the mothership at a convenient spot at the side of the road. It wasnt their fault all they could see was giant bubbles floating up the road and they wanted to hop on one:eek:

hope the padded cell has been ordered

( hopes the drivers all all ok, its them that i feel for)

JAWS
27-Sep-08, 04:14

Cheers Sapphire

Yes the central reservation is encompassed in the legislation. Anywhere between the boundary fences is covered by the Motorway Legislation.

The question is rather pointless because, as can clearly be seen on the video, they did not remain on the central reservation but, of their own volition, left it and quite plainly ran onto the carriageway itself at which point the question about the central reservation, even if it were not covered by the regulations, becomes totally irrelevant.

bekisman
27-Sep-08, 11:01
Are you watching the full edition? (#14)

"No. We saw her vaulting over the barrier immediately in pursuit" Sorry but that was her male colleague;

The nutter clocks the copper who falls over, the nutter jumps over the barrier, the WPC shouts 'F hell!' calls for assistance (she does not climb over barrier) a fellow male officer jumps over after the woman, traffic stops, WPC after a minute or two also climbs over.
"Try facing down a six foot beserker and dismiss the officers' actions." (have, how about Riot Control N.Ireland?)
But yes in reality it's a situation that has most likely not been experienced by the personnel concerned, overall the Officers did well and it turned out to be non-lethal - my own original point was as the WPC had been assaulted by someone on 'something' (she mentions this) then an action more than chasing the woman up and down the other carriageway could have been in order, it's mentioned that this nutter was hit by a truck then a car but still got up and ran amok. She needed to be stopped by any means (CS, Taser, steel or ASP Baton), I have a high regard for the Police, but in this instance more robust action could have taken place..

Melancholy Man
27-Sep-08, 12:42
Stop talking cobblers, Bekisman.

Still reeling from the sight of their running into heavy traffic, she then finds herself holding a claymore mine. Assaulted, knocked flat onto her arse onto solid concrete, she jumps straight back up, waves down the traffic and then moves to place her hands on the barrier and moves across. Maybe she didn't do it with enough speed, but she didn't have a clear run-up. This is entirely separate from her male colleague, not delayed by waving down the traffic, who was already vaulting the barrier. Good man, wouldn't expect a woman to be so quick.

Having already gone through the Military Photos site, I cannot find the full version, but I'm open to education. Maybe, instead of bringing her second leg over the barrier, the female officer collapsed in gibbering fear, I don't know.

However, if after watching even a five minute clip, you believe the Police should, in defiance of all the reassurances when the likes of pepper spray, telescope truncheons were introduced, be permitted to use immediately these weapons when there is no clear and present and serious danger to physical safety, take it up with the DPS or Parliament. Better still, volunteer for a similar situation and consider what may have happened had this maniac disarmed you and got hold of a weapon.

Julia
27-Sep-08, 13:03
That's not what happened at all, weren't any of you watching, after she got hit by the first car she slid and fell over her chamois leather, her bucket and sponge flew onto the other carriageway where she then ran to retrieve it, motorway windscreen washing is a dangerous profession you know, the cops were moonlighting and trying to steal her custom, it's obvious!

bekisman
27-Sep-08, 15:03
MM; Whatever..

final try: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142792&page=3 (http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142792&page=3) 6th posting down #36

wee sparkle
27-Sep-08, 17:01
I think that both women were absolutely nuts and i quite believe that they were on something! They didnt just endanger themselves but also the people driving past them, and that poor lorry driver, he didnt know what to say! I think the police probably did the best they could without endangering themselves, since both these women were crazy and quite rough too. I agree that both of them deserved a longer sentence than the day in jail that one of them got![disgust]

It is however quite an achievement to survive what they did! Hopefully it knocked some sense into them:lol:

x

TBH
27-Sep-08, 17:19
They originaly came from the planet Krypton. While in pursuit of Kal-El, they decided to test their new found strength through head on collisions with oncoming traffic. Okay, they were a couple of nutters from Sweden out of their faces on P.C.P, probably.

DeHaviLand
27-Sep-08, 18:02
I believe everyone has missed a crucial point here. Here was a woman, lying on the road, having just been hit by a car. In fact, her head had collided with the windshield/roof of the car. The police, had gone to give her whatever assistance they could. When she got up and tried to run away, the police were not to know how badly injured, or otherwise, she was. And we want the police to apply how much force on someone who may have head injuries?:confused