PDA

View Full Version : Culture in schools

blowfish
26-Sep-08, 07:52
I am very much pro immigration, I believe that it alleviates a big skills shortage in this country. It also bolsters the dwindlng population. It adds to an interesting multi-cultural society.

However I do not think the teaching of such culture as diwali (indian/nepalese festival of light) or other such things to children in Scotland as young as nursery age is really relevant.
My point is that Scotland has a great history some good and some bad. However the children are not taught this until a late age. Why do we not embrace our own culture first and show the children the events that shaped Scotland before teaching festivals that really have no relevance in a majority of their lives.

I don't think i am being too parochial in my thinking. I believe kids should learn other cultures and facts about other countries, but lets start with our own first.

northener
26-Sep-08, 08:01
I'd say that your view is pretty sound, Blowfish.

Maybe policy makers are thinking that to instil Scots 'Nationalist' (for want of a better word) culture and history first will make youngsters more prone to viewing other cultures and nationalities as being 'outsiders' and therefore of less interest. And therefore make these groups appear less integrated in the long run?

Dunno if that makes sense...?

blowfish
26-Sep-08, 08:14
I'd say that your view is pretty sound, Blowfish.

Maybe policy makers are thinking that to instil Scots 'Nationalist' (for want of a better word) culture and history first will make youngsters more prone to viewing other cultures and nationalities as being 'outsiders' and therefore of less interest. And therefore make these groups appear less integrated in the long run?

Dunno if that makes sense...?

Maybe these policy makers are the same ones who have added gaelic to road signs around the North of Scotland in order to make non gaelic speakers feel like "outsiders".:Razz

I did not get taught about other cultures when I was at school. It has not stopped me reading books on such subjects or extensively travelling to witness such way of lives and festivals. I am also very accepting of others and other peoples cultural considerations. However lets get a sense of our own identity in schools. Lets teach about the clans, the battles, the Highland Clearances and Industrial revolution. This is what shaped our race. The fact that a lot of us are decended from "outsiders" ie Norse etc is by the by.:lol:

rockchick
26-Sep-08, 08:34
Giving children, even as young as four, a taste of different cultures will instill in them a recognition that other cultures exist, and they are as valid as their own culture even if they are different. When they get older, that first taste can be expanded to further education and understanding.

This is not to say that learning about their own culture isn't important too!

MadPict
26-Sep-08, 13:00
What was wrong with plain old Geography lessons?

Bad Manners
26-Sep-08, 14:16
It is sad when youngsters know more about other cultures that their own I think more should be done to teach both local and national history and customs at an earlier age. In order to judge other cultures you first have to understand our own

blowfish
26-Sep-08, 15:47
It is sad when youngsters know more about other cultures that their own I think more should be done to teach both local and national history and customs at an earlier age. In order to judge other cultures you first have to understand our own

couldn't agree more. Really is the awarness of Diwali at nursery age of any benefit?

Lets celebrate Scottishness, the famous inventors who have produced such things as Tarmacadam, telephone, television etc etc etc.

St Andrews day, Burns night

famous Scottish leaders and revolutionists.

Is this not more important than some light festival that most children to be honest will never witness or will have any importance in their life. Lets give children a sense of pride in their own country and the achievements that this country has carried out.

In a world where the children and some adults are becoming more Americanized from food, accent and music to figure heads/idols. Lets show them that we are better than that. Maybe then there will be more respect and more pride in looking after this beautiful land of ours. Lets get the basics right and a respect for diversity and culture will follow.

honey
26-Sep-08, 17:25
i agree with rockchick. My eldest son has learnt about several other cultures at school, and he is really interested in it.

Sandra_B
26-Sep-08, 17:34
Our boys go to an international school and know lots about other cultures. I think it is very important that I teach them to be proud of their Scottish background.

percy toboggan
26-Sep-08, 17:58
If you disagree with over emphasis on 'other cultures' at school then protest - calmly.

If this is to no avail then compensate, or even over compensate at home by teaching youtself in a fun way the great heritage of Scotland. I have seen several really good, lavishly illustrated books on the subject and I only wish I had a Scottish grandchild to relate it too. My own wee one looks a bit mystified and says 'But 'gah-gag' I'm an Engliish person!' Nevertheless she suits her wee kilt and can already match the tartans to the clan in nine out of ten cases. Reciting the potted history of the '45 was bit more troublesome. When I mention Flora MacDonald she always mithers for a Happy Meal!

We'll move on to English history over the coming months but I sense problems looming when it comes to 'Longshanks'

On a serious note I see no need for the under tens to learn about Diwali and all the other foreign quasi-religious guff. It's a waste of their time in class. Perhaps a smattering in R.E. much later on in their school life. The first thought I ever gave to such things was when my musical hero Harrison G took a fancy to the Hari Krishna lot.
I never paid too much attention but some of the music was crackin' like.

Tristan
26-Sep-08, 19:15
Learning about other cultures is a very positive thing but I also think more should be done to promote Scottish and British culture in schools.

unicorn
26-Sep-08, 19:20
It is part of the care commission rules and policy that children be taught about different cultures.

blowfish
26-Sep-08, 19:24
i agree with rockchick. My eldest son has learnt about several other cultures at school, and he is really interested in it.

That is good for him but I am sure he would also be interested in the Scottish culture. As I stated I have no problem with them learning multi cultural information at school. What my point is that a lot of this stuff is replacement time for the teaching of Scottish History, basic math and English skills. What ever happened to learning waterloo to the great exhibition?

When my kids are older I have promised them a back packing holiday which I did several of. I will take them through various countries and show them the different culture, language and my favourite, culinary delights.

I am sure none of them will remember from nursery time about Diwali.

rockchick
26-Sep-08, 22:53
On a serious note I see no need for the under tens to learn about Diwali and all the other foreign quasi-religious guff. It's a waste of their time in class. Perhaps a smattering in R.E. much later on in their school life.
I never mentioned religious "guff" in my suggestion...a taste of other cultures does not have to include (nor does it have to preclude!) the religious influences involved! It is NOT a "waste of time" to educate pupils that there are other systems in place other than their own, it develops awareness and tolerance of alternate systems. Diwali might be a bit close-minded...

Different cultures should embrace all the differences...religious differences are only one facet.

dook
26-Sep-08, 23:27
Get rid of all this religious/traditional nonsense and teach the kids something they will be able to put to good use later in life. Pole vaulting, welding, and the like.

jock196640
26-Sep-08, 23:29
I think that vaulting over poles is taking it too far. Where is the education in that. And that might make them angry!

Moira
27-Sep-08, 00:25
Get rid of all this religious/traditional nonsense and teach the kids something they will be able to put to good use later in life. Pole vaulting, welding, and the like.

You didn't see your way clear to teach them all of this already?

Anne x
27-Sep-08, 00:36

Paul vaulting what for ? Olympic Gold 2012 Welding show me the ship yards or fabricataion yards for the welders
traditions whether you like it or not will live on along with the rest of your statement unless you wish to elaborate and teach us something

TBH
27-Sep-08, 00:47
Learning about other cultures is a waste of time unless you are aware of your own culture. I would not have allowed my kids to be indoctrinated with the ways of other cultural practices unless they were allowed to learn about their own heritage first.

dook
27-Sep-08, 00:49
Paul vaulting what for ? Olympic Gold 2012 Welding show me the ship yards or fabricataion yards for the welders
traditions whether you like it or not will live on along with the rest of your statement unless you wish to elaborate and teach us something

I'll show you a vaulting pole or welder if you show me a God?

Moira
27-Sep-08, 00:58
.....It has not stopped me reading books on such subjects or extensively travelling to witness such way of lives and festivals. I am also very accepting of others and other peoples cultural considerations. However lets get a sense of our own identity in schools. Lets teach about the clans, the battles, the Highland Clearances and Industrial revolution. This is what shaped our race. The fact that a lot of us are decended from "outsiders" ie Norse etc is by the by.:lol:

OK. We are listening. Teach us. (What's with the laughing smiley?)

gleeber
27-Sep-08, 07:59
It would make more sense to me if schools taught children how to deal with different cultures rather than just tell them about it.
I agree with Percy. There's no need to teach young kids about the differences between us. It's more important to teach them about the similarities.
How we think. How we create those thoughts. How we work as human mechanisms. How we take on all the pride and prejudices from our cultures as well as the nice quaint kilts and turbans.
Schools have us for 11 years and still the world is stressed. Somethings not quite right. Parent bashing is the easy and obvious target.
I blame culture and the idea that there's something real about it. Cultures a human creation. I'm happy to be a Scot and in particular a teenabowlie. I'm also aware of the nationalistic boundaries and prejudices those cultural ideas have given me.

I believe the human race is fired by the same spark and it's culture that lights the fires.
That doesn't make culture bad but without proper education it can create some pretty bad people.

Alice in Blunderland
27-Sep-08, 08:49
Maybe these policy makers are the same ones who have added gaelic to road signs around the North of Scotland in order to make non gaelic speakers feel like "outsiders".:Razz

I did not get taught about other cultures when I was at school. It has not stopped me reading books on such subjects or extensively travelling to witness such way of lives and festivals. I am also very accepting of others and other peoples cultural considerations. However lets get a sense of our own identity in schools. Lets teach about the clans, the battles, the Highland Clearances and Industrial revolution. This is what shaped our race. The fact that a lot of us are decended from "outsiders" ie Norse etc is by the by.:lol:

I see the point you are trying to make.

I was under the impression that all cultures are being covered in nursery and school including our own .

I remember the kids Burns celebrations and St Andrews day to name a few. They are following guidelines set down for them.

Yes, its important to learn about the Highland clearances and more and to be aware of our own backgrounds and what happened in the past, it also important to be aware of our future.

Looking forward and learning about other cultures is also good, as all too often now, the children of today are more likely to be sitting beside someone from another culture than ever before.

From an early age children are taking things in and remembering.

Think positive and be glad that in this country at least we have the freedom to learn about other peoples cultures and backgrounds. In many countries the children do not have this freedom. :)

Welcomefamily
27-Sep-08, 09:05
What a complete and absolute waste of time, it only goes to show just how detached from reality some of these edcationalists are, its frightening where we would be going if we left it up to some of these people.
It possible came to them during a study leave visit to compare alternative cultures.
I suppose many of them have never experienced real world reality, school, university, and then teaching. I think it would be much better to get them to start taking a pride in their own culture.

honey
27-Sep-08, 09:47
That is good for him but I am sure he would also be interested in the Scottish culture. As I stated I have no problem with them learning multi cultural information at school. What my point is that a lot of this stuff is replacement time for the teaching of Scottish History, basic math and English skills.

thats in addition to learning about british/scottish histoy and traditions. St Andrews day for example is a big thing in his school

I agree with the point that opening their minds to other cultures should NOT close their minds to their own. It drives me mad when schools decide not to celebrate our festivals in case they offend anyone else. :mad: