PDA

View Full Version : Big Gig 2009?

zebedy
25-Sep-08, 20:32
So whats everyone thinking about that for a thread? lol

I was on another forum a few of my pals use, and it was mentioned already.

What do you all think?

Jeid
25-Sep-08, 22:38
http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/facepalm.gif

fingalmacool
26-Sep-08, 00:39
Forgive him, he's young and has a lot of time on his sticks. listen can you here it,,,,its feedback from the, i cant bring myself to mention the aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh,,, THE HORROR,,,YOU HAVE ALL HEARD OF THE CREDIT CRUNCH, NOW SIT BACK FOR THE CREDIBILITY CRUNCH, or is it the ability ssshhhh!!!! you did'nt here that here.:confused

loganbiffy
26-Sep-08, 13:15
It could do with a revamp in all honesty.

Make it a 2 day thing again, with the option of people camping, obviously this would most likely lead to a change of venue but would this be a bad thing?

Look at how much the Relay For Life raised, if we had a 2 day gig with camping and entertainment all through the night, surely they would raise more money.

Just a suggestion.

Blast!
26-Sep-08, 18:38
It could do with a revamp in all honesty.

Make it a 2 day thing again, with the option of people camping, obviously this would most likely lead to a change of venue but would this be a bad thing?

Look at how much the Relay For Life raised, if we had a 2 day gig with camping and entertainment all through the night, surely they would raise more money.

Just a suggestion.

But the Race for Life was for a great cause, what is the big gig in aid of? I really don't think the two are comparable. People are interested in saving lives more than listening the same locals bands doing the same thing...

bigbenjokazooie
26-Sep-08, 19:29
But the Race for Life was for a great cause, what is the big gig in aid of? I really don't think the two are comparable. People are interested in saving lives more than listening the same locals bands doing the same thing...

well said!

K dragon
26-Sep-08, 21:27
and that is why these bands feel unsupported sometimes.

that same old thing is their talent, and skill.

that same old thing is their kindness and respect to play for free on a cold rainy day on a leaky trailer.

i have immense respect for the bands who turn up and do the same old thing.

Blast!
27-Sep-08, 03:10
and that is why these bands feel unsupported sometimes.

that same old thing is their talent, and skill.

that same old thing is their kindness and respect to play for free on a cold rainy day on a leaky trailer.

i have immense respect for the bands who turn up and do the same old thing.

Not interested. Give me something fresh. Something new. I'm tired of listening to bands who turn their amps to the max and thrash away.

How about something new?

Recently, Astronot, Crimson Tide and Boss Hogg have been good. Apart from them...meh. Totally disinterested.

Can we have a band from a different angle please?

I'd like to hear something different but I really can't see the Big Gig offering that.

Local musicians seem to aspire to other local musicians, how about branching out?

Take a gamble, try something new!

loganbiffy
27-Sep-08, 04:45
Not interested. Give me something fresh. Something new. I'm tired of listening to bands who turn their amps to the max and thrash away.

How about something new?

Recently, Astronot, Crimson Tide and Boss Hogg have been good. Apart from them...meh. Totally disinterested.

Can we have a band from a different angle please?

I'd like to hear something different but I really can't see the Big Gig offering that.

Local musicians seem to aspire to other local musicians, how about branching out?

Take a gamble, try something new!

So what is it exactly what you want?
You obviously haven't been out in wee while by the time you are referring to Boss Hogg (no disrespect to them)

Too many people are so negative towards young local bands, to me you sound like you want your youth back.

I mean I don't know you but you really just sound bitter and are obviously not interested in the whole community thing.
If you had actually bothered to listen recently you would hear different stuff.

As K Dragon said, we offer our services for free and enjoy the day, what exactly do you offer?
Forgive me if I am wrong.

Blast!
27-Sep-08, 12:21
So what is it exactly what you want?
You obviously haven't been out in wee while by the time you are referring to Boss Hogg (no disrespect to them)

Too many people are so negative towards young local bands, to me you sound like you want your youth back.

I mean I don't know you but you really just sound bitter and are obviously not interested in the whole community thing.
If you had actually bothered to listen recently you would hear different stuff.

As K Dragon said, we offer our services for free and enjoy the day, what exactly do you offer?
Forgive me if I am wrong.

Want my youth back? I'm probably younger than you pal!

I just don't see the format of the Big Gig working. It's held at the wrong time of the year for a start - the same weekend as Belladrum is a complete joke. I realise this is due to the gala, but it CAN be changed, regardless of what others say. And if TTIA say it must be on gala week then break away and take control yourself.

To be honest, I'm not that fussed. I've been to the Big Gig a couple of times and didn't enjoy it. Just one man's opinion in the end.

loganbiffy
27-Sep-08, 13:40
Want my youth back? I'm probably younger than you pal!

I just don't see the format of the Big Gig working. It's held at the wrong time of the year for a start - the same weekend as Belladrum is a complete joke. I realise this is due to the gala, but it CAN be changed, regardless of what others say. And if TTIA say it must be on gala week then break away and take control yourself.

To be honest, I'm not that fussed. I've been to the Big Gig a couple of times and didn't enjoy it. Just one man's opinion in the end.

I didn't say you were not younger than me, i said it SOUNDED like you wanted your youth back.

You don't see the format of the big gig working?
If you had bothered to read my post before quoting it you would see that i said it is time it had a revamp, and yes that included moving it to accommodate people going to belladrum.

I am all for it changing and setting it on a different weekend where it is not going to clash with anything.

Ok it is your opinion, you don't like it, fair enough.
Not really any need to criticize bands though is there?
You do better??

Kenneth
27-Sep-08, 14:32
There's a lack of Indie bands in Thurso (pretty sure there's 0) I'll make one, something different, innit?

Though im sure Logan you would disagree and say there are too many indie bands in Thurso lol;)

theboysintheband
27-Sep-08, 15:18
I imagine our band would be classed as indie but...Indie doesn't really mean much, I don't think. People describe bands like Bright Eyes and Vampire weekend as indie...But there's nothing similar about them. Its just the weird way it is.

Anyway Kenneth, I've posted it before a gazillion times, never to be taken on, which is fair enough...each to their own an what not...but heres the link to the myspace. (www.myspace.com/themaydaysinternet (http://www.myspace.com/themaydaysinternet) or www.bebo.com/themaydaysmusic (http://www.bebo.com/themaydaysmusic) , the Bebo has more tunes) The recordings are shite tho...and the songs are pretty old now, probably time to fork out an do sum proper recording with the new songs!! :)

Big Gig...I'd have it indoors, somewhere small-ish so all it takes is a small crowd to gather a bit of atmosphere. Thats the ticket!

Kenneth
27-Sep-08, 17:14
I imagine our band would be classed as indie but...Indie doesn't really mean much, I don't think. People describe bands like Bright Eyes and Vampire weekend as indie...But there's nothing similar about them. Its just the weird way it is.

Anyway Kenneth, I've posted it before a gazillion times, never to be taken on, which is fair enough...each to their own an what not...but heres the link to the myspace. (www.myspace.com/themaydaysinternet (http://www.myspace.com/themaydaysinternet) or www.bebo.com/themaydaysmusic (http://www.bebo.com/themaydaysmusic) , the Bebo has more tunes) The recordings are shite tho...and the songs are pretty old now, probably time to fork out an do sum proper recording with the new songs!! :)

Big Gig...I'd have it indoors, somewhere small-ish so all it takes is a small crowd to gather a bit of atmosphere. Thats the ticket!

Aye cheers boysintheband/ some friend of Scollay haha

I had a wee listen to your music aaages ago on bebo, I think I left a comment, but thought you guys were brilliant! I don't really like any of the local bands up here, they're all fine chaps and talented...just the music, not my cup of tea. Like what you lads do though, keep it up. Maybe in a few years time I will be challenging you, if my generation would pick up a guitar and stop listening to Metallica lol

Jeid
27-Sep-08, 17:40
I think the Big Gig is always gonna be a bunch of bands in a trailer. No offense to the people organising, it's the best they can come up with, with the very limited budget they have. If local business' aren't willing to sponsor the event by helping out with getting the PA/stage/lights etc sorted, then it is gonna be as it is.

I do believe that Colin, an indie band from Wick played at the Big Gig last year. I'd agree that the line-up isn't very varied... but again, if only certain bands are asked/ask to play, then what can the organisers do. If certain bands choose not to play because it's not their scene, then that's up to them.

My band played two years in a row. We didn't play this year, like many from last years event, in the hope that some other bands would be given the chance to fill the gap(s). It just seemed like the, dare i say it, left overs from last year. No offense to any of the bands that played this year, that statement comes out a lot worse than it's intended.

I believe a re-think is required. There's a basis for a decent event, I just don't think people have the time, energy, contacts or know-how to make it as good as it could be. The TTIA committee have a lot on their plate for one week. The Big Gig is a small piece in a big puzzle.

Good luck for 2009.

EDIT: I should also point out, I personally, don't think many bands, including my own, did enough to promote the Big Gig. They might have said "we're on at 4pm" or whatever, but they didn't promote the event as a whole. Not that I'm aware of anyway. We could do with getting some more bands from the Wick side through to play at it.

theboysintheband
27-Sep-08, 18:09
Indeed I am!

Cheers for that but, like I'm sure most people on here would say about there bands, it's a better deal live. So if ever the opportunity arises, come along.

What bands are there actually on the go in Wick...I've been at home for about 3 or 4 months and have barely seen a local band...its all bands from the south now. Where do the young troops get gigs these days?

What happened to the idea of gettin' a slightly bigger band from down the line to Headline the Big Gig? Was it ruled out because its a local bands thing? If so I think thats a bit mad.

Bobinovich
27-Sep-08, 21:23
Having been a former TTIA committee member I can say it's probably mainly down to money. As has been mentioned previously if sponsorship was forthcoming to bring a better-known band to headline then that would be ideal.

However the one thing which has put me off the Big Gig and other outdoor events in recent years has been the inclement weather. The Relay for Life was so jammy in that respect and cleaned up due to a number of reasons: the cause itself; good organisation; & months of pre-planning (albeit using a tried & tested format). However no-one could have predicted such a balmy evening and, had it been otherwise, it would have been a fly in the ointment, tho would not have been a total washout, such was the dedication of those taking part.

So, what's needed? Either a large marquee (which costs megabucks) or a sizeable indoor venue (none of which Thurso currently has). Maybe if a multi-purpose facility at Viewfirth (preferably with indoor & outdoor capabilities making it 'weatherproof') gets going it could be the saviour of such events, otherwise it will always be at the mercy of Caithness' micro-climate.

K dragon
28-Sep-08, 19:45
bingo!

nailed it on the head.

zebedy
28-Sep-08, 20:05
Maybe something along the lines of a set up like this would maybe be a good idea for the big gig?

No need to worry about where it's set up, Just have it where it was this year, But in a tent.
( something to look into as for price ranges ) Halkirk Gala kinda sized ones even?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Zebedy00/2753556428_3f170de8a1.jpg

Just so you know what's going on here.

Security told band ( twin atlantic ) that they had to stop playing because things were getting out of hand, But singer ( Sam McTrusty ) said to security, If i can get them all to sit down can we carry on.

so he asked them, and there you go :D

Jeid
28-Sep-08, 20:18
I think a tent is out of the equation unless they get some form of sponsorship for it. They're quiet expensive to hire out are they not?

zebedy
28-Sep-08, 20:52
No idea I'm just an idea man :P

moncur
29-Sep-08, 12:38
even if it is expensive to hire a marquee tent, I think it would pay for itself. The main reason I didnt turn up this year was because of the weather. Had it been in a tent or indoors elsewhere I would have definetly turned up. It also keeps everyone in one area aswell, instead of being spread out, thus creating a better atmosphere. Plus its a bit safer than getting lots of electrical equipment rained on!

Were the trailers donated or paid for at previous Big Gigs?

foreveruntitled
29-Sep-08, 14:25
even if it is expensive to hire a marquee tent, I think it would pay for itself. The main reason I didnt turn up this year was because of the weather. Had it been in a tent or indoors elsewhere I would have definetly turned up. It also keeps everyone in one area aswell, instead of being spread out, thus creating a better atmosphere. Plus its a bit safer than getting lots of electrical equipment rained on!

Seconded. If financially viable, I also think a tent would be a much better option.

the_big_mac
29-Sep-08, 14:30
Seconded. If financially viable, I also think a tent would be a much better option.

Has anyone ever been to Northern Nashville's festival in halkirk? What they do to the inside of that shed is quite remarkable.

I know it would mean moving the event out of Thurso, but im also quite sure that it will be a good bit cheaper than a tent.

moncur
29-Sep-08, 17:18
Has anyone ever been to Northern Nashville's festival in halkirk? What they do to the inside of that shed is quite remarkable.

I know it would mean moving the event out of Thurso, but im also quite sure that it will be a good bit cheaper than a tent.

I doubt that would be much of an option as its meant to be for TTIA. The only other locations I can think of are The Britsh Legion, Thurso High School games hall or the Thurso Town Hall once its finished being renovated or whatevers happening to it. Theres also Skins but if that were to go ahead then petty stories will begin that the owner only did it for his own financial gain.

the_big_mac
29-Sep-08, 18:02
I doubt that would be much of an option as its meant to be for TTIA. The only other locations I can think of are The Britsh Legion, Thurso High School games hall or the Thurso Town Hall once its finished being renovated or whatevers happening to it. Theres also Skins but if that were to go ahead then petty stories will begin that the owner only did it for his own financial gain.

Thats assuming that The Big Gig will always be and should only be run by the TTIA.

moncur
29-Sep-08, 18:13
Thats assuming that The Big Gig will always be and should only be run by the TTIA.

True, in that case you could shift it around different parts of the county every year. AND you can have it at a different time of year

zebedy
29-Sep-08, 22:35
As a wee boost, Why not have the folkies that ran 'Ard Rock getting involved as well? They new how to get things running along quite well? Right enough I was only 13 when I was playing them shows but they were ran very well I thought no?

But I'm all for a massive tent idea ;)

Thurso Town Improvements
30-Sep-08, 22:36
I just though I would jump on and answer a few things.

Who is the TTIA? They are a small committee of people who run the local Gala, are in charge of the Christmas Lights, the free Senior Citizen Concert, run Santa’s Grotto and are involved local projects along with other groups; we attend community council meetings and some other groups. We are working on a project to revamp the crazy golf at the boating pond area, along with the Rotary

We are looking into upgrading the tennis courts and possibly making one side multi functional along with the Youth Steering group, we are involved with the Viewfirth steering group which will probably be of most interest to you all. Hopefully the Viewfirth will have facilities for bands to practice and put on gigs, plans are in the very early stages at the moment. For such a small group we really do loads of behind the scene work.

We had out AGM last night and there will be meeting soon to discuss events including the gig. The main issue for the TTIA is the manpower and time that goes into this one event.

The Gig for us was an event in the Gala so local bands had the opportunity to play, it was never meant to be a huge event with big headlining bands from the south. The local bands do a brilliant job, a huge thank you to them and all the volunteers. Without you all the last few gigs would not have happened, you all have been fantastic.
We have took note of all the ideas and suggestions and I have already quoted on the org if we do go ahead it will not be on the same weekend, would seek funding, look into bringing a headliner band up, look into moving the events location, hiring a marquee etc.

The gig was promoted on the org in the Gala page and the What’s on, Caithness FM, bebo, posters around town, on our web, over 2000 flyers with the Gala programme went out, it was in the local newspaper in the main programme and the gig has it’s own adds.

One comment : Thats assuming that The Big Gig will always be and should only be run by the TTIA.

Answer: We never have and never will stop anyone from organising a Gig either in Thurso or elsewhere. We fully support other groups and organisations.

Doreen Macleod
TTIA Chairwoman

the_big_mac
01-Oct-08, 08:46
I just though I would jump on and answer a few things.

Who is the TTIA? They are a small committee of people who run the local Gala, are in charge of the Christmas Lights, the free Senior Citizen Concert, run Santa’s Grotto and are involved local projects along with other groups; we attend community council meetings and some other groups. We are working on a project to revamp the crazy golf at the boating pond area, along with the Rotary

We are looking into upgrading the tennis courts and possibly making one side multi functional along with the Youth Steering group, we are involved with the Viewfirth steering group which will probably be of most interest to you all. Hopefully the Viewfirth will have facilities for bands to practice and put on gigs, plans are in the very early stages at the moment. For such a small group we really do loads of behind the scene work.

We had out AGM last night and there will be meeting soon to discuss events including the gig. The main issue for the TTIA is the manpower and time that goes into this one event.

The Gig for us was an event in the Gala so local bands had the opportunity to play, it was never meant to be a huge event with big headlining bands from the south. The local bands do a brilliant job, a huge thank you to them and all the volunteers. Without you all the last few gigs would not have happened, you all have been fantastic.
We have took note of all the ideas and suggestions and I have already quoted on the org if we do go ahead it will not be on the same weekend, would seek funding, look into bringing a headliner band up, look into moving the events location, hiring a marquee etc.

The gig was promoted on the org in the Gala page and the What’s on, Caithness FM, bebo, posters around town, on our web, over 2000 flyers with the Gala programme went out, it was in the local newspaper in the main programme and the gig has it’s own adds.

One comment : Thats assuming that The Big Gig will always be and should only be run by the TTIA.

Answer: We never have and never will stop anyone from organising a Gig either in Thurso or elsewhere. We fully support other groups and organisations.

Doreen Macleod
TTIA Chairwoman

Good points. It's good to hear what else is going on and what has been discussed. I think its something that the TTIA are not that brilliant at doing. I bet most of the incomers and younger generation assume that its the council that put on most of these events.

Thats not a dig, its purely an objective observation. As was the comment about who should run the big gig.

How about combining the event with a fair, like the one's the town turned out for in the 80's and 90's. I remember when there used to be a Mount Vernon fair, Janet Street Fair, Harbour Fair ect ect. They were great!

Thurso Town Improvements
01-Oct-08, 15:31
Thanks the big mac I will put your ideas forward keep them coming.

The TTIA was bad at letting people know what we were doing but we have got a wee bit better. We are never out the newspaper and advertise on the org, we do a business newsletter at least twice a year. It might be an idea for me to stick it on our web.

Just to give you some idea of prices the Christmas Lights this year is estimated at £11,000. The youth shelter if it gets the all clear is £17,000. The youth shelter was recommended in a 57 page study done for the Youth Steering group and gets good write ups from Police in different towns.

Don't laugh for the Shelter we have £5000 and for the lights we have £807.40. For these two projects alone we will be busy fundraising and seeking grants. The lights are ordered, so it's roll our sleeves up and get going, I like to give the committee a challange!

Doreen Macleod
TTIA Chairwoman

zebedy
01-Oct-08, 20:13
I'm sure local bands would do more gigs through out the year in order to raise funds if it meant the big finally thing would be the big gig?

Another random idea...;)