PDA

View Full Version : Sales Person Offering to Replace Porch

bobbyjoeufb
25-Sep-08, 17:37
Just had a person at my door, he explained that they were in the area replacing porches with PVC and offering a free quote to replace my wooden porch with PVC. Did not say what company he was representing.

Someone is going to come back at 1830 to measure up and give me the quote that lasts for 18 months.

Has anyone else had them at the door, or is this likely to be a scam of some type?

Bad Manners
25-Sep-08, 17:41
Would certainly be careful and check which company the represent and if in doubt phone the company youself to check.
What ever you do do not sign anything ask for time to compare quotes from other companies.

bobbyjoeufb
25-Sep-08, 18:00
Thanks

I have received a call from the manager on a 01698 number, he said that they are Weatherseal Windows and confirmed that someone will arrive and give me a quote to replace my windows and doors in the porch.

I certainly wont be signing anything, but will see how much the quote will be.

balto
25-Sep-08, 18:12
Just had a person at my door, he explained that they were in the area replacing porches with PVC and offering a free quote to replace my wooden porch with PVC. Did not say what company he was representing.

Someone is going to come back at 1830 to measure up and give me the quote that lasts for 18 months.

Has anyone else had them at the door, or is this likely to be a scam of some type?
we had men from round about the glasgow area by the sounds of it, they were offering us a chance to get new windows for our house, glad that we dont own our house easier to get rid of them.

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 18:26
I know someone who used to work for weatherseal and he told me that what they quote is almost 50% higher than what they need you to pay to allow for "haggling" so might be worth keeping that in mind if you plan on taking up their offer x

binbob
25-Sep-08, 18:27
Thanks

I have received a call from the manager on a 01698 number, he said that they are Weatherseal Windows and confirmed that someone will arrive and give me a quote to replace my windows and doors in the porch.

I certainly wont be signing anything, but will see how much the quote will be.

please beware....weatherseal are a nightmare.once u take the bait ,u are sunk.they are VERY pushy and will spend hours trying to get u to order and sign for their products.

we had dealings with them 6 years ago..needless to say ,we said NO..and had a local company do what we wanted.no hassle then.
please be careful...

Tristan
25-Sep-08, 18:34
The chances are anyone selling door to door might be a touch on the pushy side, but too have heard that Weatherseal can be a nightmare to deal with - a quick internet search should reveal some of the problems that people have had.

Solus
25-Sep-08, 19:11
had one at my door, ice cream in one hand and tin of irn bru in other asking if interested in new windows. There is four of them i think going about in a citroen people carry type car.

bobbyjoeufb
25-Sep-08, 19:37
Finally got rid of the salesman!!!

Spent ages showing me the window and explaining all its features. For 4 windows 1 door and replacing the roofline he started at £7800. Then it was £6799 and then down to £4500, told him no I could get everest for just under £5000.

Said I was thinking more the price range of £3500, he went away to phone his boss and said I could have that price. If I agreed today and put down a £50 deposit and would not have to pay anyuthing for upto a year.

Kept telling him I want it all in writting and full details of the Lifestlye Account that he kept going on about. He gave me the 18 month quote on paper but could only do it for £6799, as I could not commit straight away.

When I come to replace the porch hopefully next year I dont think ill be going with this company!

Ash
25-Sep-08, 20:00
we had men from round about the glasgow area by the sounds of it, they were offering us a chance to get new windows for our house, glad that we dont own our house easier to get rid of them.

yeah i just had them at door, they nearly woke my wee girl up by banging the letterbox

nellie
25-Sep-08, 21:48
Weatherseal came and gave me a price for doors and windows----wish I had never seen them.in one night I had six phone calls it was so bad I had to report them for harrasment as far as Im concerned they are a dirty word[evil][lol]

Mik.M.
25-Sep-08, 22:22
Weatherseal came and gave me a price for doors and windows----wish I had never seen them.in one night I had six phone calls it was so bad I had to report them for harrasment as far as Im concerned they are a dirty word[evil][lol]
Weatherseal keep phoning our house,keep telling them NO,but still they call. Unfortunatly they only call during the day when I`m at work. Hev is much more polite than me telling them no thanks. I`d put it a lot stronger than that.

Bad Manners
26-Sep-08, 13:46
Im affraid I have to agree with a lot of posters here. I have a lot of experience regarding weatherseal and none of it is good. Apart from the over inflated prices the disgraceful antics of the sales team The installation of these windows are bad We have had two windows that were not secured by anything other than expanding foam one bay window that had no supports to hold the upper floor in place. Without these supports the weight of the upper floor was so great that the glass cracked after three weeks. when they came to replace it the window broke and all the brick work above droped down as did the upper floor window. They had to be taken to court regarding this however all this took for ages to sort out.
When this went to court there were five other cases going to court for the same or similar rasons and all were for the same company.
So my advise for what it is worth shop around get a company that you know the quality of their work. It could save you thousands in the long run.

bobbyjoeufb
26-Sep-08, 15:31
Sales manager just phoned me, asked if Kevin the salesman was there last night I advised yes he was. And he started to try and confrim the quote and what I wanted done, stopped him mid sentence and told him I was not interested. He replied "well why did you you ask for the quote then!"

Was not wasting my breath anymore and hung up the phone!

I really hope they dont phone back as there atitude sucks, he seams to forget that they came to my door offering the free quote not the other way round.

Made up my mind last night after the sales person was unable to give me a quote for discounted price and tried to sign me up for a buy now pay later option! But could not explain how this would work and what I would attually pay!

stewart4364
26-Sep-08, 16:09
I had them sometime ago -- the salesman was there for over 4 hours. Quote was for 16 windows -- the first price was about 27K then about 18K, phoned his "sales manager" came down to 12K still not interested and he then came down to about 7K. The windows he was offering was not suitable as they would interfere with my vertical blinds but he said they would replace the blinds for me at a reduced rate and this would take it to the 7K final price. It is obvious that the windows are overpriced in the first place.As I am typing this I had a phonecall from, guess who, none other than Weatherseal. I have registered with the Telephone Preference Service and hopefully the calls will be blocked shortly. If you want to find out more about Weatherseal and what people think of them go into Google -- the comments are not very favourable to Weatherseal. I certainly would not touch them with a barge pole, they try and pressure you into buying. The salesmen all work to their Weatherseal script and come hell or high water they are not deflected from it. KEEP CLEAR OF THEM AT ALL COSTS

Bill Fernie
27-Sep-08, 12:16
Another thing to watch out for is if the company offers you a finance deal to pay for the porch etc. You will normally be better talking to your bank or even saving up and paying cash once you find the right company.

You need to read all the details in any finance package very carefully to check the real interest and any other charges and penalties for early or late payments just in case these are expensive. Also watch for insurance to cover payments if you are off work. You really need to be on your toes toc ehck all of these aspects if offered as in the heat of the moment it can all sound great and you might be paying much more for several years.

Always take few days to think about deals offered by anyone at the door. I always apply the simple rule "Never Buy Anything From Anyone who Comes To My Door" and then add "or contacts me by phone or emails me or faxes me". No is a great word and for those that don't take NO for an answer hang up.

If you want something then do your research about companies, check with friends and relatives to see if they have used a certain company and how they got on.

*Martin*
27-Sep-08, 12:54
Bloody awful people!

They went to my sisters house on Thursday night. First guy knocked on the door and asked her if she was a home owner. She could smell drink off him and immediately said "no" By this time 2 of his friends came to the back off him. He said he would get £20 from his boss just for getting to measure her windows. She said she wasn't interested and at this point gorilla number 2 steps on to the top step and leans against her door (so she couldn't get it shut) Gorilla number 1 pipes up "we are going to measure your windows" by this point (she's 19) she was getting scared. My niece made a noise upstairs and my sister said she was trying to get her daughter to bed. The 1st gorilla told her they'd be back in 30 mins!

They never came back but that could be because there was a police car outside!

My advice: Don't let them over the front step!!!

stewart4364
27-Sep-08, 13:10
I agree with every word you quote Bill. Their financial deals are far more expensive than any bank -- they will try and baffle you with figures which the majority of people find difficult to understand. Their APR is around the 20% mark and they want you to take it out for as long as possible, sometimes 7 years. The longer the financial deal the more money the salesman gets in commission (most of the salesmen are on a commission only basis -- that is why there is so much pressure put on the customer to buy from them and usually on the same evening when your mind is all muddled and you would be glad to see the back of them. Tell them you will think about it.) and also Weatherseal. If the finance is through a third party, which I think it probably is, Weatherseal will get their money and a commission for providing the finance in a few days time. Any default in payment will not worry Weatherseal as the finance is now with the finance company and it is they who will pursue you for the money owed. That is why Weatherseal are so keen for you to take out finance by saying that it will only cost such and such a month instead of having to pay for all of the windows and doors at one time. It may sound a smallish amount per month but if you work out how many months the agreement is over and the cost per month it will give you a fright how much interest you have to pay. Even if you are persuaded to go ahead with their offer and sign a financial agreement with them their is a cooling off period if you decide to change your mind. I think it is 7 days but if you check with the Citizens Advice Bureau they will give you all the facts and possible pitfalls.

stewart4364
27-Sep-08, 13:16
I should have added that Weatherseal are not the only company offering the financial package. It is advantageous for them all to provide this "service" if you can call it a service.