PDA

View Full Version : high school in Wick

cuddlepop
09-Jan-06, 21:08
We may be moving into the area and we would like some comments on what the high school in Wick is like.In particular its provision for ASD kids.I,ve been on there web site but need some real parents comments.Quite frankly we dont think it could be any worse than the one attended at present.The head in Portree is only interested in the kids that will enable him to make his mark in the highland league tables!.Is there a bullying problem?whats it really like warts and all.
thanks.

DW
09-Jan-06, 21:13
You could start by reading the thread - New Rector for WHS.

In Scotland, the headteacher of a six year secondary school is called a rector; WHS stands for Wick High School.[smirk]

cuddlepop
09-Jan-06, 21:25
thanks we have.Our registation has just been approved so are now able to ask the forum ourselves.We are very impressed with your web site.you seem to have a very active community up there,something that seems to have been forgotten here.

angela5
09-Jan-06, 21:46
We may be moving into the area and we would like some comments on what the high school in Wick is like.In particular its provision for ASD kids.I,ve been on there web site but need some real parents comments.Quite frankly we dont think it could be any worse than the one attended at present.The head in Portree is only interested in the kids that will enable him to make his mark in the highland league tables!.Is there a bullying problem?whats it really like warts and all.
thanks.

Bullying is a problem faced by all schools no matter where you are.

Big G
09-Jan-06, 21:49
Wick High School! huh where do i start.
As far as i am concerned its full of kids that want to fight and fight and fight!! Put ure kids to THS. a few ppl i went to school with r from wick!

DW
09-Jan-06, 21:51
Wick High School! huh where do i start.
As far as i am concerned its full of kids that want to fight and fight and fight!! Put ure kids to THS. a few ppl i went to school with r from wick!

Thankfully, some of the ex-pupils from WHS are able to read and write.

Big G
09-Jan-06, 21:57
Thankfully, some of the ex-pupils from WHS are able to read and write.

yeah 'SOME'!

krieve
09-Jan-06, 22:13
Kids fight in every school you can't label all the kids with the same brush just because a couple fight. There is just the same amount of bad kids in thurso high school. Alot of them do want to learn and do want to go far and get a good education . Anyway you say about fighting i bet there is more fighting at the weekend in clubs and pubs in wick and thurso than there is in the high school . I know alot of people that went to wick high school and have went on to get a degree and done very well for themselves.

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jan-06, 22:41
My elder daughters both go to Wick High School and its like anywhere else there are good and bad points for as many bad points that can be written many people can give a good point.Yes some times they come home with tales about what happened in school but they are both doing well with encouragement from home and the teachers, some of whom are very dedicated.I know also from their chat that there are the same problems in this school as any other.I have heard that Thurso High is better but I feel it is all down to the individual pupil if they strive to do well they will.

connieb19
09-Jan-06, 23:14
As long as you keep away from the ice ceam van at lunch times you should be ok!!

weeboyagee
09-Jan-06, 23:17
...well,......hahaha,.....SOME kids from Wick High School can read and write...well I don't know about you BigG but I don't think I do too bad (doh!!) for a graduate of the WHS. But then we weren't streamed (sorry I digress, wrong thread...:)).

Thurso High School has its good points and bad points but then you had a Thrumster guy as your Head Teacher - BIG, BIG plus point for you guyz!:D

Cuddlepop - I know Portree and a lot of folks from there and believe you me - Wick High School is what you make of it. Have no fear moving to this area - the kids will do fine!

WBG :cool:

weeboyagee
09-Jan-06, 23:20
Ohhhh.......connie19....whatever do you mean? The Ice Cream Van?.........

connieb19
09-Jan-06, 23:30
Ohhhh.......connie19....whatever do you mean? The Ice Cream Van?.........Oh, if you want the scandal, it's all there in the thread "Bang Out Of Order"... About the kids being able to buy single cigarettes from the ice cream van, outside the school at break times!!:)

nicnak
09-Jan-06, 23:52
Hi Both of my kids went to WHS both were bullied and the school knew all about it, my daughter was badly assaulted at school and the Dep Rector didnt want me informed or the police involved. Put it this way if you can get your kids to Thurso I would!

Rheghead
10-Jan-06, 00:05
I have only visited WHS twice. I walked into WHS to pick up some equipment only to be delayed by a group of kids fighting on the stairwell for what seemed like a few minutes. I waited until the melee finished and the victim whimpped off crying.

What am I to believe re discipline in WHS? :rolleyes:

angela5
10-Jan-06, 00:17
All the bullying that goes on in Wick High School is swept under the carpet.

When you child starts WHS the rector and the depute rector hold an open evening for parents that are worried about their children moving into Secondary School, i must say they give an impressive speech on their Anti-Bullying policys you think your child will be safe and if an issue of bullying affected your child then the matter would be dealt with and sorted.

Afraid not no-one in that school does anything about bullying yet they are so nice to you telling you the problem will be sorted, nothing happens

There is also a teacher in the school who makes Homosexual remarks to young boys how he is getting away with this God only knows.

connieb19
10-Jan-06, 00:20
All the bullying that goes on in Wick High School is swept under the carpet.

When you child starts WHS the rector and the depute rector hold an open evening for parents that are worried about their children moving into Secondary School, i must say they give an impressive speech on their Anti-Bullying policys you think your child will be safe and if an issue of bullying affected your child then the matter would be dealt with and sorted.

Afraid not no-one in that school does anything about bullying yet they are so nice to you telling you the problem will be sorted, nothing happens

There is also a teacher in the school who makes Homosexual remarks to young boys how he is getting away with this God only knows.This is not the same teacher that was peeing over the bridge was it?;)

angela5
10-Jan-06, 00:21
This is not the same teacher that was peeing over the bridge was it?;)

Funny you should ask connie but it is yes. And children are there to be taught, taught what i wonder.:confused:

DW
10-Jan-06, 00:22

There is also a teacher in the school who makes Homosexual remarks to young boys how he is getting away with this God only knows.

Parents must realise that if they are not happy they have recourse to the local Education Manager and ultimately the Head of Education service for the Hielan' council.

I reckon the bit about 'remarks' is codswallop though!

moshmosh
10-Jan-06, 00:25
I've left Wick High last year and to be honest it's not as bad as a lot people make out. There are some excellent teachers there who will bend over backwards to help you out. As for discipline and bullying, of course there is going be bullying at school, even if you were at a private boarding school you are going to get bullying. Some teachers have their own way with dealing with disrupted pupils, it only takes one pupil to set off the rest. I remember one teacher who remove the disruptive ones from the class and for the rest of the year it was pure bliss going into that class every day, perhaps a slight exaggeration but you get the idea. The disruptive ones tend to be pupils who don't want to learn and end up in the lower level classes and you begin to get split up after 2nd year so after them tend to only hear them being roared at in the corridors.
I remember seeing the league table results in paper not so long, I think Wick High was pretty low in table for pass percentages but if you're son or daughter wants to learn whether it's to be a doctor or shelf stacker then it can be done. It may seem that every one fails at SG or Higher level but there are plenty of people who manage to get 3 or 4 As there is just a distinct lack of interest towards education when it comes to some people.

ice box
10-Jan-06, 01:02
Dont listen to everything you about WHS myself and my four other brothers went there and we turned out not bad . The school is what you make of it and if pupils ever have a bullying problems there should take it out with there guidence teacher as that what there are there for .

angela5
10-Jan-06, 01:04
Dont listen to everything you about WHS myself and my four other brothers went there and we turned out not bad . The school is what you make of it and if pupils ever have a bullying problems there should take it out with there guidence teacher as that what there are there for .

Easily said, you did'nt get bullied then ice-box?

ice box
10-Jan-06, 01:09
Easily said, you did'nt get bullied then ice-box?
What makes you think i did'nt get bullied poopoo ?

angela5
10-Jan-06, 01:12
Well if you did icey, did your guidance teacher sort the problem out for you?

connieb19
10-Jan-06, 01:18
Well if you did icey, did your guidance teacher sort the problem out for you?I remember being picked out in class and bullied by a certain teacher. I went to my guidance teacher, and this made the problem worse....so bad in fact, I didn't want to go to school. I blame that to this day for me loosing interest by the end of 2nd year!! I used to enjoy school before that!!

ice box
10-Jan-06, 01:22
First of all spelt your name wrong (sorry) No i didn't get bullied myself but there was pupil in my class that did and they took it up with the guidence teacher and it was sorted out .

angela5
10-Jan-06, 01:25
I remember being picked out in class and bullied by a certain teacher. I went to my guidance teacher, and this made the problem worse....so bad in fact, I didn't want to go to school. I blame that to this day for me loosing interest by the end of 2nd year!! I used to enjoy school before that!!

They all stick together connie. I myself was bullied for a while i lost interested in going to school i was there to be taught not be bullied.
This happens all too often and makes me so angry the bullies are continuing to be taught but the victim either gets sent to a seperate class on their own or if they are scared to go to school they get a few hours education in rhind house a week.
The system is all wrong.

angela5
10-Jan-06, 01:27
First of all spelt your name wrong (sorry) No i didn't get bullied myself but there was pupil in my class that did and they took it up with the guidence teacher and it was sorted out .

I'm amazed ice-box there actually was one child who had the help of their guidance teacher in a matter related to bullying. That teacher is obviously not there anymore.

ice box
10-Jan-06, 01:31
I'm amazed ice-box there actually was one child who had the help of their guidance teacher in a matter related to bullying. That teacher is obviously not there anymore.
Bring back the old coffin dodger of teachers they seem to sort it out the old way .

brandy
10-Jan-06, 01:32
why are the serious trouble makers allowed to stay in mainstream education?
im not saying the ones that cause the occasional problem as teenagers at teh end of the day are very stressed and think the world weighs heavily on their sholders ..
but the ones that cause misery and can not be controlled.
you cant force a child to learn but you can stop them from tormenting others and take them out of the situation.
back home we have schools for kids like that ... that have gone beyond normal means of help.
and unfortunatly those schools tend to have guards.
but you can not let a few bad kids ruin it for everyone.

angela5
10-Jan-06, 01:32
Bring back the old coffin dodger of teachers they seem to sort it out the old way .

Coffin dodgers lol, bring them back are'nt some of them still there?

angela5
10-Jan-06, 01:34
why are the serious trouble makers allowed to stay in mainstream education?
im not saying the ones that cause the occasional problem as teenagers at teh end of the day are very stressed and think the world weighs heavily on their sholders ..
but the ones that cause misery and can not be controlled.
you cant force a child to learn but you can stop them from tormenting others and take them out of the situation.
back home we have schools for kids like that ... that have gone beyond normal means of help.
and unfortunatly those schools tend to have guards.
but you can not let a few bad kids ruin it for everyone.

Well said, yes why are the serious trouble makers and persistant bullies allowed to remain in education within the school. They should be booted out for making peoples life a misery.

ice box
10-Jan-06, 01:35
Coffin dodgers lol, bring them back are'nt some of them still there?
probably are i know some of my teacher are retired .

angela5
10-Jan-06, 01:36
probably are i know some of my teacher are retired .

Well some that taught me many moons ago are still there.:eek:

ice box
10-Jan-06, 01:53
What like eagle beek donnie cod and porky lol

angela5
10-Jan-06, 01:56
What like eagle beek donnie cod and porky lol

No they have retired. Mr Barker the history teacher is there and Miss Dunnet the cooking teacher.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-06, 16:15
Thank-you that was most entertaining and informative.The school appears to be much like ours with recards to bullying which we feel is a national problem anyway.It seem the jury is out with recards as to 'the better of the two'
As to Sweatybettys smirk. Rector may be the correct term in Scotland but I feel its up to the individual headteacher to be called that or rector,which is the case in Portree.
You need to have a thick skin to be able to take part in the discussion forum,or is that the wrong impression I've made?

Big G
10-Jan-06, 18:01
[quote=weeboyagee]...well,......hahaha,.....SOME kids from Wick High School can read and write...well I don't know about you BigG but I don't think I do too bad (doh!!) for a graduate of the WHS.

Excuse me, but i am doing 4 Highers this year and then i will be doing a 4 year degree!

DrSzin
10-Jan-06, 18:25
FWIW I've just looked up the school league tables from a few years ago on the BBC website. Ordering schools by their Highers results, THS came 208th and WHS 277th out of about 400 high schools in Scotland. So both might be described as mid-table.

Yeah, yeah, I know you have to take these results with a huge grain of salt: there are good years and bad years (both staff- and pupil-wise), social and economic factors are not taken into account, and why single out those who achieved 3 or more Highers with grades A-C by the end of S5? But they might give you some idea of something. Well, maybe ...

rainbow
10-Jan-06, 19:48
Take the league tables with a pinch of salt - there is alot of kids at school nowadays as they have nowhere else to go - there is not an abundance of jobs and there is no college on their doorstep, like in Inverness (Thurso has a college but not the range of courses as Inverness). Kids stay on at school with no interest of working hard (which lowers the results in league tables)- they get the EMA and parents get the Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit, plus if the kids have a part-time job it appears very lucrative (and totals up to more than any benefits - wherby you have to be over 18 to claim unless you have been chucked out of your home, or parents are on the social).
Wick High is not all bad - it does have its bad points to, but you only get out what you put in. I worked hard at WHS, got my Highers and got my degree thereafter - so all pupils and ex-pupils are not all thick, and we can read and write!

landmarker
10-Jan-06, 20:29
You need to have a thick skin to be able to take part in the discussion forum,or is that the wrong impression I've made?

It's always handy to have a thick skin. Most people I have encountered on this site are very pleasant, and it is a really excellent resource. At worse I just get ignored lol.

I have had the odd disagreement with others on various forums but do not take it to heart. The great majority will always remain strangers after all, and relatively anonymous. I do think that many people say things they might not say face to face, though I dont include myself in that.

So many are quick to take 'offence' these days that perhaps we could all do with a few extra layers of skin.

I hope you make a succesful move and your children settle well.

(Is the 'Pink Guest House' still on the harbourside at Portree? Once (March '94) we were up there on me motorbike and got bladdered on rot gut cider drunk from enamel mugs -'appy daze)

DrSzin
10-Jan-06, 20:32
Kids stay on at school with no interest of working hard (which lowers the results in league tables)- they get the EMA and parents get the Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit, plus if the kids have a part-time job it appears very lucrative (and totals up to more than any benefits - wherby you have to be over 18 to claim unless you have been chucked out of your home, or parents are on the social). Perhaps, but the position in the league table doesn't change much for either school if you look at Standard Grade results, "ie the percentage of those who achieved five or more awards at Level 4 or better by the end of S4 - equivalent to Standard Grades 3-4". THS goes up a bit and WHS goes down a bit.

To be honest, I was a little shocked at the difference in Highers performance between THS & WHS and my two local state schools here in the sooth. I knew the latter were supposed to have good exam results, but the difference is much bigger than I expected. :(

DW
10-Jan-06, 20:48
As to Sweatybettys smirk. Rector may be the correct term in Scotland but I feel its up to the individual headteacher to be called that or rector,which is the case in Portree.

I believe that if you are in charge of a 4 year secondary school then you cannot be a Rector; if you are in charge of a 6 year sec. school, then you have the choice.

What has to be remembered is that it is the senior managment team, and ultimately the rector, in a school that sets the level of discipline ( or not). The individual teachers can only refer problems on to the smt; if action is not taken then..........................

cuddlepop
10-Jan-06, 21:00
The Pink guest house is still pink.I guess the fishermen no a pint's in sight..... must make a change from seeing pink elephants
Cheers for the reassurance Landmarker.We'll just have to see now if the other half gets his transfer,even if he doesnt we'll be back love the place.Was called hen in the 99p shop.thought I'd been transported back to my childhood in Glasgow...I :) guess that I.ll help with the thick skin too

rich62_uk
10-Jan-06, 22:22
Is there a large problem with the children in Caithness using cannabis ? Many children in our area use it on a regular basis from the age of 12 some even younger. The dealers are wising up and are feeding the plants with cocaine which I am told is making the dope addictive, The schools are aware of this and unless they actually see a child with dope wont do a thing about it. They know who is dealing who is buying and yet wont LOOK for it. Please tell me its a completely different story in Caithness. Trish.

cuddlepop
10-Jan-06, 22:37
Dont no what its like in Caithness but its bad in Portree.You might not know:( anyone yourself who supplies but the kids do and they wont grass.All we can hope for is that we.ve done our best and not give in to peer pressure which I no is difficult.All my 19year old sons friends are at it.I.ve lost count the number of times he.s been stopped and searched.His sister wants to join the police force so he knows he better not blow it for her!

rfr10
11-Jan-06, 21:01
Wick high school ain't as bad as u all make out. There's only about one fight every 2 months and they only last about 30 seconds before a teacher breaks it up and the people that fight only pick on each other. I don't know anybody thats being bulied and I've never heard of or seen anybody that's ever been. The guidence teachers always help out, they helped me out right away when I asked for help. And the teacher who calls people homosexual isn't very popular at that school. So the schools alright even though it might not have the best reputation. If you ignore the badly behaved people then they'll ignore you.

connieb19
11-Jan-06, 21:15
Wick high school ain't as bad as u all make out. There's only about one fight every 2 months and they only last about 30 seconds before a teacher breaks it up and the people that fight only pick on each other. I don't know anybody thats being bulied and I've never heard of or seen anybody that's ever been. The guidence teachers always help out, they helped me out right away when I asked for help. And the teacher who calls people homosexual isn't very popular at that school. So the schools alright even though it might not have the best reputation. If you ignore the badly behaved people then they'll ignore you.Surely there isn't actually a teacher who calls people homosexual is there? When I first heard this I took it with a pinch of salt, but it seems there may be some truth in the story...something should be done about it!! If it was my son,being called that, something would be done about it!!:( :(

rfr10
11-Jan-06, 22:34
The kids dont really sit there and take all his cheek so he gets a lot back, plus he's a new teacher who only started this year if this is the same teacher you are reffering to.

connieb19
13-Jan-06, 22:44
ooops wrong thread

rainbow
13-Jan-06, 23:07
Robin - you have your head in the sand. I hear of fights daily - at times it is the same instigator as when he goes along West Banks you know he is looking for a fight. With regard to bullying - I heard a girl got half her hair pulled out by some thugs recently and had been getting a hard time for some time. I agree WHS isn't all that bad, but don't be naive by saying fights and bullying are rare - open your eyes and ears.

girnigoe
14-Jan-06, 00:13
Robin - you have your head in the sand. I hear of fights daily - at times it is the same instigator as when he goes along West Banks you know he is looking for a fight. With regard to bullying - I heard a girl got half her hair pulled out by some thugs recently and had been getting a hard time for some time. I agree WHS isn't all that bad, but don't be naive by saying fights and bullying are rare - open your eyes and ears.

I totally agree with Rainbow! Something REALLY needs to be done about the amount of bullying going on in that school. There is ALWAYS something going on in that school and the staff are WELL aware of it. What do the bullies get? A day or two of suspension - Just exactly what they want - to be the centre of attention!!! They need to be expelled!!!

angela5
14-Jan-06, 06:28
Girnigoe and Rainbow your dead right WHS has a big problem with bullies, certain ones are actually carrying weapons ( knuckle dusters) which have been used on their targerts.
Nothing gets done with the bullies whats a days suspension to them boot camp is what they need teach them to have a little respect.

paris
14-Jan-06, 10:46
Wick high school ain't as bad as u all make out. There's only about one fight every 2 months and they only last about 30 seconds before a teacher breaks it up and the people that fight only pick on each other. I don't know anybody that's being bullied and I've never heard of or seen anybody that's ever been. The guidance teachers always help out, they helped me out right away when I asked for help. And the teacher who calls people homosexual isn't very popular at that school. So the schools alright even though it might not have the best reputation. If you ignore the badly behaved people then they'll ignore you.

On a previous thread i told you how my 2 girls were bullied for the whole 7 months or so that they were there. I sergest robin you....
READ IT!
Not one teacher helped and the comment i got when i complained was..we tend to stick together up here . he was Scottish, were not.
Also Yes drugs are a problem at the school even though some don't admit to the fact. my girls were offered all sorts of things. Did the police help No they dam well didn't.

nicnak
14-Jan-06, 11:04
Well my kids have gone to wick high for the last five years and 3 yrs respectively, both my kids have been bullied and had unprovoked attacks launched on them one so bad it required police involvement the teachers do not help and as for guidance teachers the one my kids have is little more use than a chocolate fireguard. If there was any other choice of schools my kids would not have been going to Wick High. When my daughter was attacked she was told to stay off school for her own safety and the attackers were allowed back into school because apparently they cannot exclude them because its against their human rights! This is not a one off occaision Bullying is rife in the school and needs sorting out.

DW
14-Jan-06, 11:41
The vast majority of the staff at WHS are as frustrated as each and every one of you. I understand that they also want something done

I believe that until the senior management take action and stand up against the Inverness bosses then not much will change. You all need to write to Bruce Robertson. who runs education and John Thurso our Westminster MP.

katarina
14-Jan-06, 12:06
have you got the address, Betty? Then lets all write letters. Power to the people!

Venture
14-Jan-06, 13:25
It dosen't matter how much you complain about the bullying, fighting etc. it dosen't change. If you do you are seen as being over protective towards your child. The child hates the parents intervening because it makes the situation worse for them. The school attitude is it will sort itself out. The rector himself has the opinion that "they are young they will grow out of it" or "they don't know any better..disfunctional families and all that jazz". School days are supposed to be enjoyable and you should not have to worry about whether your child will be safe or not. I remember having the talk at 1st year parents night about the school's policy on bullying etc. Its high time they practised what they preached.

elaine
14-Jan-06, 13:26
It all could be looking up soon, when the new heedy arrives. Hopefully it will be a person who can pull the staff together as a team and they can tackle these problems as a united front!
The staff must be pretty soul-destroyed - they cannot do anything as individuals - there needs to be a whole school change of approach and that can only come from the top (the heedy and his/her smt).

Fingers crossed....

DW
14-Jan-06, 13:38
It all could be looking up soon, when the new heedy arrives. Hopefully it will be a person who can pull the staff together as a team and they can tackle these problems as a united front!
The staff must be pretty soul-destroyed - they cannot do anything as individuals - there needs to be a whole school change of approach and that can only come from the top (the heedy and his/her smt).

Fingers crossed....
Absolutely right Elaine. The staff are pretty much down in the dumps. Despite many of the staff being of a great age :lol: they are still highly motivated and dedicated to the job. It is frustrating for them when they throw out the troublemakers and are told they have to take them straight back.
They are well aware that the vast majority of pupils are ordinary keen bairns who are actually quite happy to learn; however when they can do nothing about the few disruptives it is soul-destroying. It is definitely time to have someone at the helm who is prepared to upset people, both here and Inverness, by taking a stand.

~~Tides~~
14-Jan-06, 14:10
if pupils ever have a bullying problems there should take it out with there guidence teacher as that what there are there for .

A what now? I wish I had one of those, they sound great. What all do they do?

~~Tides~~
14-Jan-06, 14:20

Totaly agree with that post, open your eyes biy. The 'Instigators' are let back into school the whole time to start the same carry on again and nothing is done about it. And as for the teachers, to be fair some are brilliant, to be equally fair, some couldnt give a toss about you. Oh and by the way, nobody mentioned that we have one of the highest rates of truance in Scotland, why? Cos you can get away with it, just as you can with murder at that school. When the police have to patrol the front of the school at lunchtimes something within the school is far wrong.
On a brighter note, thank god that rector is leaving, things can only get better.

rfr10
14-Jan-06, 19:06
I agree with you. My friend wanted to say that so I let him log in as me and write something. I disagree with him. I do agree though that the bigger fights are occasionally. The teachers in the school are too soft with bullies. I noticed that the bullies in the school get treated better by the teachers than the good pupils. They sound to me as though they are the teachers pet. I think this is wrong. I also agree with 'Tides' when he says that it's not long before bullies are let back in to school to start all the trouble again. They waste too much of teachers time in class aswell and yet, they are still allowed back in class. If they don't want to work then tell them to get out of the room, don't let them stay and disturb others. I notice that my french class is never under control because there are so many selfish pupils in the class that are extremely cheeky to the teacher and it doesn't make matters better when other pupils in the class laugh at the comments others make. I think that they are sad and only taking advantage of the teacher the whole time. How would they like it if they were the teacher. I also hear people say they hate her because she is making them do French- Thats her job DUHH!

~~Tides~~
14-Jan-06, 20:10
Save yer breath son.

angela5
14-Jan-06, 20:15
Totaly agree with that post, open your eyes biy. The 'Instigators' are let back into school the whole time to start the same carry on again and nothing is done about it. And as for the teachers, to be fair some are brilliant, to be equally fair, some couldnt give a toss about you. Oh and by the way, nobody mentioned that we have one of the highest rates of truance in Scotland, why? Cos you can get away with it, just as you can with murder at that school. When the police have to patrol the front of the school at lunchtimes something within the school is far wrong.
On a brighter note, thank god that rector is leaving, things can only get better.

Totaly agree with this post.

nicnak
14-Jan-06, 21:34
Well personally I quite like Mr Manson the rector at the high school I just think he is as fed up with the situation at the school as the rest of us. As for the new rector I for one hope it isnt the dep who told me it was none of my business when my daughter was badly assaulted and he thought it was more important that the girls concerned were made to become friends with my daughter, i for one cannot see the logic in this or condone this type of behaviour.

~~Tides~~
14-Jan-06, 22:33
Mr Manson being quite fed up? Oh well, poor him. It's not as if has to do the job or anything. Not as if its his education that is on the line. Not as if he is the rector, the one ultimatly responsible for doing something about it.

elaine
14-Jan-06, 22:44
Unfortunately being a nice guy doesn't always make you the best manager. And he has been getting paid a tidy sum to do that job!
(to niknak - my god, I hope that dep doesn't get it either! What a shocking state of affairs!! - I would've complained to the director of education!)

girnigoe
14-Jan-06, 23:36
Something really made my blood boil the other day!! My friends child is getting bullied at WHS at the moment. The child was assaulted the other day and all the bullies got was a dressing down from the Rector!!! Whilst on the other hand the same day her child was given detention for talking in class!!!!

Now can someone PLEASE tell me where the fairness in that is??????

Rheghead
14-Jan-06, 23:39
There has been a lot of guff spoken about the state of bullying in WHS but can I ask those detracters of teachers, "What is the answer clever clogs?":roll:

~~Tides~~
14-Jan-06, 23:56
Well you could start with treating everyone fairly for a start.

Rheghead
15-Jan-06, 00:02
Well you could start with treating everyone fairly for a start.

Err, until pupils treat teachers fairly then that probably won't happen, if kids are to get educated into the real world, shouldn't teaching methods reflect the real world?:roll:

~~Tides~~
15-Jan-06, 00:11
Looks like someone is talking a load of guff about kids uniting as one and treating teachers fairly.
If you mean by, 'teaching methods to reflect the real world', that pupils should be taught a subject, not how to pass an exam on a subject, then I totally agree with you. I think this is one of the main problems with the education system in this country.
If that isnt what you ment then I have no idea what you are on about.

ps. Im curious to know what connection you have to WHS?

Rheghead
15-Jan-06, 00:21
I think this is one of the main problems with the education system in this country.

What is that exactly?

Teachers not wanting to teach or kids not wanting to learn?

Teachers become teachers because they want to teach, kids don't become pupils because they want to learn, do they?

DW
15-Jan-06, 01:16
Teachers become teachers because they want to teach, kids don't become pupils because they want to learn, do they?
Correct, that's why they turn up day in and day out; that's why they keep trying to do as much as they can for the large number of decent pupils; that's why they get so much out of the job when pupils respond. Like every job though, they are not all the same.

Venture
15-Jan-06, 12:37
I would say that Mr Manson does take the softly, softly approach when it comes to bullying. Probably because its been drummed into him by the powers that be that bullies have underlying problems of their own which makes them bully others. Thier problems are seen as more important (Childrens Act etc.) than the welfare of the poor victim who nine times out of ten comes from a stable background. He wants to start showing his authority instead of smiling at the pupils and pussy-footing around every incident that occurs.

I have had cause to be in WHS at lunchtime and I as an adult felt intimidated by the pupils when I had to walk through the school. The shouting, swearing, running about and litter everywhere was a disgrace. And this was inside the school! I feel sorry for all those first years who start nowadays and are confronted by this mob who make it so obvious that they have the upper hand. It dosen't matter how good these teachers think they are at handling things they are never able to see everything that goes on.

Considering the rector is being paid £65,000 a year I think its time he took a stand against the system and at least in the short time he has left makes an effort to improve the image of WHS.

elaine
15-Jan-06, 13:39
Bullying happens in every school on the planet, it’s just that some schools are more pro-active than others when dealing with it. I can’t believe the attitude is “oh but they’ll grow out of it” - that’s great news for the victims! I have worked in a few different schools and they all had their own ways of coping with it – of course, they were never perfect and always relied on the co-operation of the staff. Here are some of the things which happened:

• SMT patrolling communal areas during intervals and lunch breaks (they took their breaks at different times) armed with walkie-talkies.

• Staff also volunteering to give up part of one lunch time a week to patrol on a rota system in pairs.

• Bullies and trouble-makers were placed on internal exclusion, meaning they sat in a room with a member of the smt or outside one of their offices to work (the teachers provided work for them to do). They then had their intervals and lunches at different times from everyone else (escorted by a classroom assistant) and brought their food back to the room. This is a punishment which they hated!

• If there are more serious individual cases the pupils got shifted into another class altogether.

• If it is low-level, the teachers were informed via e-mail to seat these pupils apart and then stagger the class leaving i.e. let the victims group away first and the bullies away last.

• Some schools have a drop-in centre - a supervised room which is available at breaks and lunchtimes for pupils who get bother at these times.

• Holding back well-known bullies for 10 minutes at the end of the day (this is a prob however if the bullies get a bus.) As for bullying on buses, that’s a whole new can of worms!

• Getting responsible seniors, in pairs to help escort victims to their classes. This can be done very subtly i.e. they come to the class a couple of mins before the bell and take them or a group out etc. These seniors then also become peer mentors - the younger pupils often find them easier to talk to. This only really works for the junior school and not the middle school.

Maybe the school already has systems like these, I don’t know! I also don’t think the problem of bullying can ever be solved completely (kids will always be kids) but there are ways of managing it and minimising it!

I’ll get down off my soapbox now!

DW
15-Jan-06, 13:42
I feel sorry for all those first years who start nowadays and are confronted by this mob who make it so obvious that they have the upper hand. It dosen't matter how good these teachers think they are at handling things they are never able to see everything that goes on.

Considering the rector is being paid £65,000 a year I think its time he took a stand against the system and at least in the short time he has left makes an effort to improve the image of WHS.

The 'mob' you talk about are the sons and daughters of the good people of East Caithness. There is no other 'mob'. There are literally a handful of persistent offenders and the rest are your children who get involved.
As far as something happening in the last 2-3 months of his tenure - don't hold your breath.:eyes

Venture
15-Jan-06, 15:01
I get the distinct impression by your reply and your other posts SweatyBetty that you are involved in the education system yourself. Am I right or wrong?

Venture
15-Jan-06, 15:04
If this so called "mob" consists of a "few persistent offenders" and the school obviously knows who they are, why have they not been removed.

cuddlepop
15-Jan-06, 16:14
PHS is every bit as bad, you could have been talking about our Rector. There appears to be a case of political correctness gone wrong in I'ness which is cascaded throughout the Highlands. My daughter was bullied and teachers ignored it so she took the matter into her own hands and skelped the bully, with the end result that the police got involved. What did the school do? Nothing as usual as it was after school and outside school grounds. This is the very school who claim when it suits them, to be responsible for pupils until such times as they reach home. They can't have it both ways, or they can it seems. Incidently the bullying stopped .

There appears to be a breed of Head Teachers and Deputes who spend their entire 'career' sitting on the fence playing a game of politics not wanting to make unpopular decsisions in case it offends (a) HQ, (b) the bully, (c) the bully's parent. And I thought their job was to teach children. All these people are more important than the victim, and our political masters in Edinburgh come up with crazy legislation albeit well intentioned to protect the victim but in reality it protects the bullly.

In fairness to Rectors given that they have very little disciplinary powers at their disposal quite what sanctions they can impose are limited. I would suggest that they permanently exclude 'convicted' bullies therby throwing the problem right back to Mr Robertsons door, as the authority still has a duty to educate. If this was done then why couldn't a school for bullies from throughout the Highlands be created and remove these lower lifeforms from decent peoples lives.

My child will probably be staying at PHS as at least she has a guidance teacher who cares.

DW
15-Jan-06, 16:54
If this so called "mob" consists of a "few persistent offenders" and the school obviously knows who they are, why have they not been removed.

Yes, I am involved in education - Janitorette at Stroma 'Font of All Knowledge' [smirk]
It is generally far harder to remove pupils now than it was in the past, however the first thing that is required is the heedy's will and chutzpah to 'take people on' - need I say more?

DW
15-Jan-06, 17:12
There appears to be a breed of Head Teachers and Deputes who spend their entire 'career' sitting on the fence playing a game of politics not wanting to make unpopular decsisions in case it offends (a) HQ, (b) the bully, (c) the bully's parent. .
Aye, right there. A lot of them haven't worked out that it is the majority of kids who whould get the attention not the ones who cause the trouble. I agree, they should be removed. There used to be a place on the Black Isle but that was closed.......

Venture
15-Jan-06, 18:30
In other words he dosent have the effrontery, audacity or pushiness to do something about it. Is he a man or a mouse. He must be able to see that it is bringing the school down....second thoughts maybe thats the problem..he cant see it even though others can.

DrSzin
15-Jan-06, 19:43
Yes, I am involved in education - Janitorette at Stroma 'Font of All Knowledge' [smirk]
It is generally far harder to remove pupils now than it was in the past, however the first thing that is required is the heedy's will and chutzpah to 'take people on' - need I say more?Agreed -- on both your points. A couple of high schools around here have been "turned around" by new Heads in recent years. S'pose I'd better not name names -- which is just as well because I can only remember the name of one. :o

I'm not directly involved in secondary education, but my missus is a teacher, I know dozens of 'em, and I work with some of the output of secondary education, so I too have a vague idea what I'm talking about.

How is Stroma High these days? I hear you had four students taking Higher Ovine Studies last year, and they passed with good grades, namely B A A A :)

bremkins
16-Jan-06, 00:26
As an ex pupil of WHS I have to say that I find some of the comments on this topic concerning. I was troubled with a set of bullies in WHS who had nothing better to do than cause trouble. These people were generally those who had no interest in being taught and regularly spent time away from school "ill". I have to say that any issues I had with these people were dealt with swiftly by the staff in the school and I had no trouble once they had been dealt with. Since I left the school there have been many staff changes but I know many of the teachers who remain and can say that they are professional dedicated people who have a genuine desire to teach their subject well and see the pupils that they work with do well. The teaching staff in WHS are, in my opinion, as good as those to be found anywhere else in the county. I have yet to meet teachers as committed to their classes as those whom I had the pleasure to learn from.

It is very easy to blame the teaching staff or school headmaster for any trouble that is caused in school but I am sure you will find that there are many rules and regulations that tie their hands when it comes to dealing with unruly and disruptive youngsters. It is worth pointing out that it only takes a very select few disruptive individuals to create a negative reputation for a school. WHS is no exception to this and I am sure you will find that there are many students at WHS who have a genuine desire to learn the subjects that are being taught, and are no way disruptive. Teachers have a tough time these days and I am often saddened to read about teachers who have been abused and attacked in class. These people should be commended at every opportunity for doing a brilliant job under difficult and stressful conditions, not moaned about on forums such as these.

It is my opinion that the disruptive pupils in WHS and many other schools find a school day as an outlet to let off steam in an environment that they have an element of safety and control in, where they know that they can act up without serious repercussions. I believe that parents should have a more hands on approach to education rather than dismissing pupils negativity as a problem with the school or the teachers, it may just be a problem with the parents.

I was however very concerned to read that there may be a teacher making inappropriate advances towards students. This is in no way acceptable and should be dealt with as a serious issue. The bottom line is that WHS is a school not unlike hundreds of others in the UK. There are disruptive pupils who pick on students and teachers alike and there are the serious pupils who are there to learn. The harsh reality of school is that the whole business is tied up in so much politics that it is hard to tell what teachers can and can not do to help resolve bullying and poor behviour. It is my opinion that anyone attending WHS, who has the desire to learn and make a solid start towards a bright future will have an excellent chance to do this at WHS. It all depends on the desire of the individual and the drive and ambition of the pupil to make the most of their time in the school. The teachers are there because they truly believe in the power of education and will do whatever they can to provide the support that is needed. The public as a whole need to deal with the issues of bullying and anti-social behaviour, not by inspiring a blame culture, but by driving towards change that will see these people dealt with for their actions.

Feeona
16-Jan-06, 15:08
I am now an ex pupil of WHS having left last summer! I can say that it was not a bad 5 yrs but could have been better! I do agree though that some of the teachers there could be doing a bit more about the bullying. Most of the teachers there are really nice. But I do agree that consistent trouble makers either should be booted out of school altogether or given 1 to 1 teaching so that the people that wish to get a good education can do so in the time provided.

Bumblebee
18-Jan-06, 19:56
I was shocked to learn about a boy who had a headache in WHS and someone gave him a dangerous drug, fortunately the boy was sick and I believe he spent some time with the school nurse.
Drugs are becoming more common in the Thurso area, Wick, Lybster, and even in rural places.

rfr10
18-Jan-06, 19:59
I hope some teachers and staff are reading these messages. Maybe they will make some changes around the school.

DW
18-Jan-06, 20:18
I hope some teachers and staff are reading these messages. Maybe they will make some changes around the school.

As a proud member of the Yoof parliament, you should realise that the staff are the servants, not the masters, the politicians make policy and decide what happens, not individual teachers.:confused

Venture
18-Jan-06, 20:39
Iam a pupil at WHS and I like it.

Venture
18-Jan-06, 20:40
I am using my Mums name here,

rfr10
18-Jan-06, 21:01
As a proud member of the Yoof parliament, you should realise that the staff are the servants, not the masters, the politicians make policy and decide what happens, not individual teachers.:confused

It is up to the rector on how he disciplines the pupils. What does it take for someone to get suspended?? A lot by the looks of it.

cuddlepop
18-Jan-06, 23:13
Amazing both of you are quite correct its a two way street. When I went to school we were terrified of the teachers but we learned. Wouldn't it be better if the teacher respected the pupil and vice versa so teaching and learning were pleasurable? This situation can really only be brought about by strong management encouraging pupils to input to the management of the school whilst still realising their limitations. Equally some teachers have to accept times are changing and pupils have rights, not just the things thought up by the 'loonys' in Europe but basic comonsense and decency.

We,ve just come back from our parents night (3rdyear). What a difference a year makes. Since day one our child who requires suport in class was denied this on many occaisions despite this being officially recorded. The teachers were supportive and tried their best but they also needed the additional support. We complained to heads of department to no avail. We complained to the head teacher, to no avail. We complained the the are education manager who said basically that it was up to each headteacher, or rector if you prefer, to manage their school. Result, 1 year later after letters to MPs, Director of Education, Chief Executive, assorted Councillors, we have forced the school to accept their responsibility to educate the child the the best of their ability , not what the school can provide. We still have a long way to go though till they get it right. 'Could do better' as my report card used to say...........