PDA

View Full Version : Caithness words

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 09:13
I watched a link on another thread thats was posted to show how strong our accent is and it got me to thinking about the words we use here that probably dont exsist anywhere else.What words do you use that have caused confusion in "non locals"?My Dads favourite was "thingmant" it could be a person or an object and he used it all the time,he would say things like "oh you know thingmant" or "pass me that thingmant" and the weird thing was we usually knew exactly what it was he wanted or who he was talking about :eek:x

highlander
25-Sep-08, 09:24
When i used to work in a shop many visitors did not have a clue half the times i spoke lol one time i said i was loupin mad, probably i am lol another one was moochin, its not till i stop and think how i sound then i understand why folk stand there looking baffled (easy to say them, but hopeless at spelling them) lol

Sapphire2803
25-Sep-08, 09:28
Peedie and scorrie are two that I needed to have explained to me when I moved up. :D

pat
Cheil - or how do you spell it? Never heard it anywhere else but Caithness, whenever you hear that word you know it is Caithness through and through

The Caithness pronunciation for chimney - never heard it pronounced like it is in Caithness anywhere else, have been picked up several times for mispronuciation

There are so many but have not got thinking hat on this morning.

Loch not Lock
What do these words mean?
Stoor.
Fussom.
Press.

golach
25-Sep-08, 09:33
What do these words mean?
Stoor.
Fussom.
Press.

Stoor = dust

Foosum = Foulsome. filthy

Press = a kitchen cupboard

A lot of Caithness words can be found here

http://www.caithness.org/dialect/

Loch not Lock
25-Sep-08, 09:36
Stoor = dust

Foosum = Foulsome. filthy

Press = a kitchen cupboard

Well done,Golach. How often do you hear them used nowadays?

highlander
25-Sep-08, 09:38
Thumper u really got me started now lol
I would say Dotterin auld mannie, now i know what i mean but trying to explain it lol
Forkin oot money (spending too much money)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 09:39

I use Foosum all the time, and i aint an old timer quite yet :)

golach
25-Sep-08, 09:40
Very rarely sad to say, I have one Caithness pal, who is in his 60's and still "speks in 'e Kaitness" lingo, Mrs G has to get me to translate, but he is one of the few that I personally know

highlander
25-Sep-08, 09:40
I also meant to add, pity schools were not taught caithness words, they are far more descripitive when you think of the words you are saying.

arana negra
25-Sep-08, 09:50
I was born in Stirling and brought up in Angus as was, I still use the word stoor, my mother talked about cadis alo the bed and a gisunder.

I have found since moving here I am reverting to much more Scottish dialect.

Wonder how my exchange partner will get on with me on Friday :) will hae tae pit oon ma posh phone speckin voice.

Invader
25-Sep-08, 09:59
My favourite, which took me ages to understand was "Ben 'e hoose"

highlander
25-Sep-08, 10:03
I also use stoor and foosum all the time, here is a wee quiz, many are still used up here and many you wont find in the caithness books.
Trackiled
hoochin
skirler
droch
drocht
scaffin
sharn
stooner
stompin
moohie

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 10:14
I also use stoor and foosum all the time, here is a wee quiz, many are still used up here and many you wont find in the caithness books.
Trackiled
hoochin
skirler
droch
drocht
scaffin
sharn
stooner
stompin
moohie

Nothin' better for e lungs than sookin up e smell o Caithness countryside Sharn :)

And is it 'Hoochin' or 'Hoechin'..or both?

wifie
25-Sep-08, 10:15

I use Foosum all the time, and i aint an old timer quite yet :)

I am with Gizmo - I use foosum all the time - is one of my favourite words! I like bowg too! I called someone an "article" the other day - we laughed - luckily he knew what I meant and we laughed for nostalgia's sake! [lol] Good thread Thumper!

Angela
25-Sep-08, 10:17
Trackiled

I think that was my granny's word for when she was struggling with something like a lot of shopping and felt exhausted?

One of my favourites is raxed -or is it wraxed?

When you strain your back or pull a muscle and you've 'fair wraxed yersel' :(

I was brought up with 'puggled' as well but I'm not sure if it's a Caithness word - similar meaning to trackiled really.:lol:

The press was the cupboard and your bowg/bowgie was your stomach. Stoor was dust.

I still use most of these words though I don't have a Caithness accent, sadly.

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 10:20
Nothin' better than your 'Bowg Bein' stowd fill'o meit' :)

highlander
Aye Gizmo you are probably right, i am no use at spelling the words just talk the talk lol
here are some more
naff'in = smelly
chap'in= knock at someones door
mill'in= standing about
houk'in= someone selling things around the doors
blazin can have two meanings as many caithness words do, blazin drunk, or blazin hot fire

wifie
Peedie and scorrie are two that I needed to have explained to me when I moved up. :D

Peedie is a fantastic word - but I think it is from Orkney. I love how they call children peedie breeks! My brother's g/f is Orcadian and says trailie bogie for the person who is last - think that is a magic phrase! [lol]

highlander
25-Sep-08, 10:23
Aye Angela you are right, hecks now that is a word i have not heard in years puggiled lol

Tighsonas4
My favourite, which took me ages to understand was "Ben 'e hoose"
we had a grandson who wasnt local he used to call us the benners lol

golach
Trackiled
hoochin
skirler
droch
drocht
scaffin
sharn
stooner
stompin
moohie

Trackiled = wearied
hoochin = infested
skirler = an oatmeal dish?
droch = ?
drocht = a drought
scaffin = ?
sharn = Cows dung
stooner = ?
stompin = Angry
moohie = not sure, but I seem to remember my father using this as a name for a type of bird

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 10:25
Peedie is a fantastic word - but I think it is from Orkney. I love how they call children peedie breeks! My brother's g/f is Orcadian and says trailie bogie for the person who is last - think that is a magic phrase! [lol]

To speak fluent Orcadian just end every sentence with 'Dead Right' :)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 10:26
Trackiled = wearied
hoochin = infested
droch = ?
drocht = a drought
scaffin = ?
sharn = Cows dung
stooner = ?
stompin = Angry
moohie = not sure, but I seem to remember my father using this as a name for a type of bird

Stooner, look at at chiels black eye...wat a stooner hid is

highlander
25-Sep-08, 10:27
Trackiled = wearied
hoochin = infested
droch = ?
drocht = a drought
scaffin = ?
sharn = Cows dung
stooner = ?
stompin = Angry

hooch'in= yes infested
skirler=frying pan
droch= no air to start a fire
drocht= very thirsty
scaff'in =begging off people
stooner= bairn putting on bottom lip when did not get thier own way
mooh'ie= how to describle a horrible day

Tighsonas4
25-Sep-08, 10:28
its amazing in my travels how many people have taken me to be irish
take it it was the accent and not my antics lol tony [lol]

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 10:34
hooch'in= yes infested
skirler=frying pan
droch= no air to start a fire
drocht= very thirsty
scaff'in =begging off people
stooner= bairn putting on bottom lip when did not get thier own way
mooh'ie= how to describle a horrible day

Never heard a frying pan being called a skirler before, i thought a skirler might have been an 18yr old lad in a soup'd up Vauxhall Nova skirlin' his tyres round e streets :)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 10:38
And just to add a new saying to this lot, apparantly you no longer go for a 'Wander up e street'...nowadays you go 'Catchin the strut', kids these days eh!...lol :)

highlander
25-Sep-08, 10:45
Gawd im on a roll, now you understand why nobody kens a word i am saying lol
karp'in = going on and on about something
sozziled= drunk
frett'in= worried about something
muckle= not many
chomp'in at e bit= cant wait to get going somewhere

golach
25-Sep-08, 11:01
its amazing in my travels how many people have taken me to be irish
take it it was the accent and not my antics lol tony [lol]
Tony, this was a problem my father had when he moved from Staneland Farm to a farm in the Carse of Gowrie in Perthshire, he kept being called Irish, which infuriated him, to such an extent he got into a fight with some Irish itinerent workers, who insisted he just was ashamed of his Irish heritage. But since I grew up and started travelling I have since found out that the Londonderry accent and the Caithness accent are very similar, now if I am unsure of the accent, I usually ask "What part of the North are you from?" Then by the answer I can usually respond

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 11:01
sozziled= drunk
muckle= not many

Are ye always karpin on bout things wen yur sozziled drownk cos' yur frettin that ye micht hev til wawk hom as thurs noh muckle taxis cuttin' aboot at iss time o nicht? ;)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 11:08
Tony, this was a problem my father had when he moved from Staneland Farm to a farm in the Carse of Gowrie in Perthshire, he kept being called Irish, which infuriated him, to such an extent he got into a fight with some Irish itinerent workers, who insisted he just was ashamed of his Irish heritage. But since I grew up and started travelling I have since found out that the Londonderry accent and the Caithness accent are very similar, now if I am unsure of the accent, I usually ask "What part of the North are you from?" Then by the answer I can usually respond

I was in Belfast a couple of years back and took a bus tour round the city, when i spoke to the irish guide and thanked him for the good craic he was quite taken aback that there was a local taking the tour, i had to explain that i was from the far north of scotland, it was then he told me that there was an area not far from Belfast where our accents are nearly identical.

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 11:19
There are some great answers here guys!Now what about pudd'ag?(sp?)Is that just a caithness word?I am so used to hearing them now that I am never sure if they are "real" words or just ours :lol:

golach
25-Sep-08, 11:24
There are some great answers here guys!Now what about pudd'ag?(sp?)Is that just a caithness word?I am so used to hearing them now that I am never sure if they are "real" words or just ours :lol:
A Frog or a Toad :)
Seems to be a Scots word, according to the Scots Dictionary, but spelt Puddock

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 11:25
LOl thaks Golach,I did know what it was but wasnt sure if its just caithness folkies that call it that? x

Angela
25-Sep-08, 11:38
Loving this thread thumper - I know we've had similar ones before but it brings back such happy memories for me!:D

Is the -ag ending to words a Caithness thing I wonder, or does it crop up anywhere else?:confused

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 11:43
Thanks Angela,I am glad it has brought back happy memories!
Now another one my Nan used to say was had your wheesht,funnily enough she used to say that a lot to me ;) x

highlander
25-Sep-08, 11:46
I love the one goup'in (staring at someone) and drooked (got soaking wet)

Angela
25-Sep-08, 11:53
In our house things were usually in a most terrible bourag (sp???):roll: ;)

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 11:58
Dortin......my kids do that all the time :lol: (huffing) x

highlander
25-Sep-08, 12:09
We not had geekered yet lol

Melancholy Man
25-Sep-08, 12:09
Is Scorrie not a foul tempered creature which screeches all the time? They can be three times the size of a gammy! Mollymacks are worse.

I stepped in a sharnie-daub yesterday, up in the meickle park. It made a richt pleiter.

Stoor = dust

There's a whour of a stoor on my windowsill

Foosum = Foulsome. filthySurely it means more also with a foul smell? It's foustie, I find, in Fife and Leith.

Press = a kitchen cupboardLike a guid Edinburgh press. I think it's used in Ireland as a general term for wall-cupboards. Separately, Burns used boag, and the Irish Gaelic for stomach is close, but I don't think so with Scots.

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 12:14
What about Deek?, as in 'geez ah deek oh at'

And i was once called a 'Slou'nk' by some miserable owld git i once worked with, i don't think it was a compliment...lol

highlander
25-Sep-08, 12:14
We would use the word "reeking" for a foul smell and "foustie" when something is not fresh

Melancholy Man
25-Sep-08, 12:18
Many of these words are used as far down as Newcastle. Deik, chore and gadje as far as India!

it was then he told me that there was an area not far from Belfast where our accents are nearly identical.

But it's never the part of Northern Ireland that they're from. One of my aunts actually feels highly uneasy with the Wicker accent because it reminds her of Ian Paisley.

muckle= not many

Shurely shome mishtake?

highlander
25-Sep-08, 12:18
How about the one "a blethering skite" not sure the real meaning of skite, anyone know?

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 12:22
We would use the word "reeking" for a foul smell and "foustie" when something is not fresh

And also 'boggin' for something foul smelling, years ago at a very drunken party me and some mates grabbed some acoustic guitars and wrote 'The Foostie Song'....but i couldnt possibly post the lyrics here :)

highlander
25-Sep-08, 12:22
Nope Melancholy man no mistake lol if i was to say i went to the shop to get bread and there was only a few left, i would say "there was no muckle bread ere" lol

Melancholy Man
25-Sep-08, 12:23
No muckle means not many, then. Muckle means hunners.

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 12:27

I would never use Muckle to mean more of something, hids joost noh richt min

highlander
25-Sep-08, 12:31
How about the word "roa'ch" when one's feeling ever so much under the weather in the morning, after one's had one too many drinks" lol its hard to type the way its pronouced, to me it should be roock

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Sep-08, 12:32
But it's never the part of Northern Ireland that they're from. One of my aunts actually feels highly uneasy with the Wicker accent because it reminds her of Ian Paisley.

Nivir! Nivir! Nivir! :)

Melancholy Man
25-Sep-08, 12:33
I would never use Muckle to mean more of something, hids joost noh richt min

Aye, it's like saying Nine Items or Less.

Nivir! Nivir! Nivir! :)

I am the anti-Christ!

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Sep-08, 12:35
Aye, it's like saying Nine Items or Less.

I am the anti-Christ!

Am sure you're a harmless ol' dear.

Tighsonas4
25-Sep-08, 12:41
quite often i got that question in reverse from irish men asking what part of the north country are you from tony

Gizmo
How about the word "roa'ch" when one's feeling ever so much under the weather in the morning, after one's had one too many drinks" lol its hard to type the way its pronouced, to me it should be roock

Aye it's a difficult one to type for the correct pronunciation, the best i can come uip with is to take the pronunciation of 'Wrought' without the T and add on the pronunciation of 'Ach' without the A....'Wrough'ch'

highlander
How about chamber'in eg, the bairns were chamber'in over the furniture, meaning climbing over things

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 12:44
How about chamber'in eg, the bairns were chamber'in over the furniture, meaning climbing over things

Mmmm, i always thought ma mither sed ah wiz 'Clamber'in' ower things ah shouldna hev been

highlander
25-Sep-08, 12:45
LOL good one Gizmo, could not describe that better, would love to know how many people who do not come from caithness and are looking at the screen trying to say it properly. lol

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 12:48
LOL good one Gizmo, could not describe that better, would love to know how many people who do not come from caithness and are looking at the screen trying to say it properly. lol

Haha...yeah, and they won't find an option on Babelfish for translation either :)

highlander
25-Sep-08, 12:52
How about glak'ed, or is it glak'et gizmo

Liz
25-Sep-08, 12:53

We often say someone is 'no muckle use' meaning he/she is useless.:D

Puckle is a small amount.

I love the phrase 'a chiel an an ain' meaning a man and a woman.

Just love the Caithness dialect!!!

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 13:04
How about glak'ed, or is it glak'et gizmo

Glaik'ed :)

Melancholy Man
25-Sep-08, 13:05
Aye, that makes sense Liz. Less than many, fewer than a number.

Glaic is a noun.

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 13:07
Just love the Caithness dialect!!!

I love some of the things we say and the way we say them, but i cringe with embarrasment when i hear the Caithnesian accent on the tv, we really do sound like a bunch of hillbilies at times :)

Melancholy Man
25-Sep-08, 13:09
I love some of the things we say and the way we say them, but i cringe with embarrasment when i hear the Caithnesian accent on the tv, we really do sound like a bunch of hillbilies at times :)

Nah, that's Melvich and beyond. Hill peasants.

<grins, ducks and runs>

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 13:11
Nah, that's Melvich and beyond. Hill peasants.

<grins, ducks and runs>

Hill peasants called Mackay....hunners oh'm :)

Liz
25-Sep-08, 13:13

Aye we can sound 'richt broad'!:lol:

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 13:16
what about "feil" as in stupid/daft or slounk(sp?) :eek: x

Melancholy Man
25-Sep-08, 13:19
Hill peasants called Mackay....hunners oh'm :)

Right, I'm off with my shotgun to bag a brace of Mackays!

Bad Manners
25-Sep-08, 13:20
Thanks thumper I am amazed at how many words I actually use without thinking I have just laughed all the way through this thread Keep up the good work

Liz
25-Sep-08, 13:21
what about "feil" as in stupid/daft or slounk(sp?) :eek: x

Someone who is a 'feil gowk' is an idiot.:D

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 13:33
You have to wonder where a lot of those words came from, a lot of them crack me up, this thread has been brilliant but i have wasted all morning on the org when i should have been at the gym, i am now going to have to forcefully remove myself from the computer and get my backside down to the gym, i shall use the time to ponder some more wierd and wonderful Caithness words :)

riggerboy
25-Sep-08, 13:55
I was in Belfast a couple of years back and took a bus tour round the city, when i spoke to the irish guide and thanked him for the good craic he was quite taken aback that there was a local taking the tour, i had to explain that i was from the far north of scotland, it was then he told me that there was an area not far from Belfast where our accents are nearly identical.

working with an irsh fella at the moment and he reckons our accent is exactly the same as the people form larn about 20 miles from belfast

Bruce_H
25-Sep-08, 13:59

That would include this Yank! I am well fascinated by this thread, thanks for starting it Thumper. I know so little about Caithness, so I am eager to for all this knowledge.

Bruce H

riggerboy
25-Sep-08, 14:01
i only found out a short time ago that an ackel wizna a real word for ma back teeth lol

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 14:42
Trackiled (traachled?) - fair tired
hoochin - busy
skirler - screaming
droch - dry throat?
drocht - drying atmosphere
scaffin - trailing your feet?
sharn - animal excrement
stooner - stubborn stance?
stompin - dancing
moohie - foosum :lol:

At's 'e best ah can do; diffrant places in Caithness hev diffrant words an' spellins. Ah still use 'at ould wordies every day; far more expressive than 'e English version. Many o' ma freens do as weel an' ye'll heerid in every shoap ye go intil.....we only speak in more cosmopolitan ways when we need to make ourselves understood amongst non Caithnesians.

wifie
25-Sep-08, 14:53
And also 'boggin' for something foul smelling, years ago at a very drunken party me and some mates grabbed some acoustic guitars and wrote 'The Foostie Song'....but i couldnt possibly post the lyrics here :)
PM?........ [lol]

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 14:59
working with an irsh fella at the moment and he reckons our accent is exactly the same as the people form larn about 20 miles from belfast

That's the place, i couldn't remember what he said, but that's it.

wifie
25-Sep-08, 15:01
We are spread far and wide us Caithnesians but we are not forgettin our roots! :) I love that my daughter can speak Caithness well - my son on the other hand is pickin up some very odd words from down here and that mixed with "kid speak" of today! :confused Mind you I tried my best and used to read some wee short stories she had of tales like Cinderella written in rhyme in Caithness dialect to her when she was wee! Is that good or bad parenting? ;)

highlander
25-Sep-08, 15:04
Here is a few more for you to ponder about
durler
teeter'in
croach'in
crabbit
droo'ch
blootered
scunnered
egg'in'on
trape'sin

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 15:06

I love the Orkney accent! I was told in language classes that "peedie" comes from the French "petite" as there was a strong link between Scotland and France at one time....

wifie
25-Sep-08, 15:07

[lol] Highlander I had to read on a few posts to find out what ye were meanan here wumman! I would have said rouch as in Caithness equivalent of rough but it deffo does not look like it sounds - am feelan yer dilema! [lol]

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 15:09
PM?........ [lol]

Haha....NO, it's probably offensive to every man, woman or beast on the planet, we kinda went out our way to make the most offensive song we could, we played it at a few other parties and had people in hysterics, the first line of the chorus is probably the only bit i could print here.

'This is the foostie song it's bigger and longer than your D**g' ;)

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 15:17
sozziled= drunk
muckle= not many

To make "muckle" mean "not many" we would say "no' muckle" as in "he's no' makan' muckle o hid" meaning "he's not making much of it".
Therefore I would think muckle means many, much, more etc.

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 15:19
I also meant to add, pity schools were not taught caithness words, they are far more descripitive when you think of the words you are saying.

I agree, let's canvas for a class in the Caithness dialect; bet there would be a rush to join! :)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 15:20
To make "muckle" mean "not many" we would say "no' muckle" as in "he's no' makan' muckle o hid" meaning "he's not making much of it".
Therefore I would think muckle means many, much, more etc.

But muckle is only ever used with the prefix of No, that's certainly the only way i have ever used it and have never heard it being used any other way.

highlander
25-Sep-08, 15:22
Aye i agree Torvaig some of the caithness words can mean different things put in different contexts, like goup'in as in staring but also goup'in down food

highlander
25-Sep-08, 15:24
Sorry Gizmo but i agree with Torvaig have used muckle in the same ways that its explained.

wifie
25-Sep-08, 15:29
Aye i agree Torvaig some of the caithness words can mean different things put in different contexts, like goup'in as in staring but also goup'in down food
Can I put 'e cat in amongst 'e doos? I thought it was gowkan - as in lookin at! :confused

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 15:30

Aye, like..'At cheil got tanned at e' weekend', meaning he got beat up, or when someone eats something quickly it's 'Ye tanned at in ye queek enuff'

I always liked the Caithness version of 'A clip round the ear'....'Panned roond e' lugs' is much better...lol

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 15:30
Aye it's a difficult one to type for the correct pronunciation, the best i can come uip with is to take the pronunciation of 'Wrought' without the T and add on the pronunciation of 'Ach' without the A....'Wrough'ch'

I would write it as "roch" (rough) to make it rhyme with "och, loch, Bach" or a sound like clearing your throat!

highlander
25-Sep-08, 15:38
Silly me, your right wifie it is gowkan, i know what i mean but not good at the speelin just glad you fowlk are here to help, heres a few more i remember, hope its the right spellings
coup'in=able to cope
clatter=slap
clatter'in=making a noise
footer'in=messing about
bawl'in=crying

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 15:38
Sorry Gizmo but i agree with Torvaig have used muckle in the same ways that its explained.

Actually when i think about it i have heard it used in another way, but still not to describe 'many things', to describe something 'large', 'A great beeg muckle hol', out at Staxigoe harbour if you go round the rocks on the right hand side there is a large deep hole in the rocks that was called the 'Muckle Hol'

If i had only one pound coin i could say 'there's noh muckle money in ma wallet', but if i had 10 pound coins and said 'I hev muckle money in ma wallet', that just doesn't sound right to me.

Kathy@watten
25-Sep-08, 15:39
I love the word oxter...no one down south has a scooby what an oxter is!
and love when my wee lad says ina below or ina been all amuses me lots he is such a choocter!

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 15:43
But muckle is only ever used with the prefix of No, that's certainly the only way i have ever used it and have never heard it being used any other way.

About the only way you will hear "muckle" on it's own is in Muckle Flugga, the Orkney island and I'm sure it comes from the Norse and means something like big rock. I agree that we often only use it as "no' muckle" but maybe we can change that as I've got "muckle powers til mak ye change yur mind!" :)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 15:43
and love when my wee lad says ina below or ina been all amuses me lots he is such a choocter!

I forgot about them, good old Ockeys, which is suprising as ma Ockeys are boggin efter bein at e' chim :)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 15:44
but maybe we can change that as I've got "muckle powers til make ye change yur mind!" :)

Ye've noh muckle chance oh at :)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 15:48
About the only way you will hear "muckle" on it's own is in Muckle Flugga, the Orkney island and I'm sure it comes from the Norse and means something like big rock. I agree that we often only use it as "no' muckle" but maybe we can change that as I've got "muckle powers til make ye change yur mind!" :)

That will be where the 'Muckle Hol' at Staxigoe gets it's name from then, it's a big hole that's alway full of water.

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 15:48
Actually when i think about it i have heard it used in another way, but still not to describe 'many things', to describe something 'large', 'A great beeg muckle hol', out at Staxigoe harbour if you go round the rocks on the right hand side there is a large deep hole in the rocks that was called the 'Muckle Hol'

If i had only one pound coin i could say 'there's noh muckle money in ma wallet', but if i had 10 pound coins and said 'I hev muckle money in ma wallet', that just doesn't sound right to me.

I agree Gizmo and I realise I answered your previous post before I had read down this far. Muckle on it's own is not used much here; only used in the negative "no' muckle". Large, big, many, are all superlative words... as is "muckle"

highlander
25-Sep-08, 15:51
[QUOTE=highlander;437039]Here is a few more for you to ponder about
durler=slap around the loogs
teeter'in=sneeking about

croach'in=trying to get in on the act
crabbit=bad mood
droo'ch=one who likes too much drink
blootered=drunk
scunnered=disappointed
egg'in'on=incouraging
trape'sin=walking about aimlessly
or following someone
groan'in=complaining

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 15:56
I'm having a chuckle at how we use words to over emphasize what we mean as in Gizmo's "great, beeg, muckle hol"; much more descriptive and effective than "large hole". :lol:

highlander
25-Sep-08, 16:02
One frase i will not be using again eg if someone was busy at thier work, we would say they were dog'in at it, nowwwwwww it means something else lol

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 16:04
I'm having a chuckle at how we use words to over emphasize what we mean as in Gizmo's "great, beeg, muckle hol"; much more descriptive and effective than "large hole". :lol:

I wizna speedin officer, ah hit at great beeg muckle hol in e rod and ats how am upside doon in iss park...hehe

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 16:07
One frase i will not be using again eg if someone was busy at thier work, we would say they were dog'in at it, nowwwwwww it means something else lol

Haha, brilliant, as bairns we would be on our bikes and doggin doon a hill or doggin roond a corner, i wouldna dare tell someone now that i went Doggin doon a hill or doggin roond a corner :)

highlander
25-Sep-08, 16:09
Gizmo another way i would use muckle is eg "he's no muckle use"
just remembered another one shilly-shally=taking your time

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 16:18
Gizmo another way i would use muckle is eg "he's no muckle use"
just remembered another one shilly-shally=taking your time

You're quite right, i use it that way as well, i have heard Shilly-Shally before, but not much, i was usually just 'Dilly-Dallyin'....or so ma mither wid tell me, 'Get a move on and stop dilly-dallyin'...which was usually followed up wi a 'Skelped Backside', so there is another for the list...'Skelped', i doubt there are many who hevna hed a few skelped backsides ower e' years :)

alanatkie
25-Sep-08, 16:24
peepin (crying) is a work i didn't hear til i came up here.

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 16:29
peepin (crying) is a work i didn't hear til i came up here.

Also 'Greetin'....as in 'Stop at greetin richt now or al gee ye suntin til greet aboot', 70's parenting....simply the best :)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 16:34
Joost thought o anither one 'Rake', as into 'Rumage', everytime my wife goes to hur mithers she hes a Rake through e drawers...EVERY TIME withoot fail she goes Raking through hur mithers drawers an cupboards :)

highlander
25-Sep-08, 16:41
skert=skirt
skert=scared
skert'in=dodge around an issue

wifie
25-Sep-08, 17:44
Haha....NO, it's probably offensive to every man, woman or beast on the planet, we kinda went out our way to make the most offensive song we could, we played it at a few other parties and had people in hysterics, the first line of the chorus is probably the only bit i could print here.

'This is the foostie song it's bigger and longer than your D**g' ;)

Dowg? [lol]

wifie
25-Sep-08, 17:47
I would write it as "roch" (rough) to make it rhyme with "och, loch, Bach" or a sound like clearing your throat!

Now Torvaig don't start that - Venture and Sapphire may be eating! [lol]

Liz
25-Sep-08, 18:02
Thumper I bet you have got us all thinking o' the caithness wordies we use every day withoot thinking!:lol:

I just told my sister this afternoon to 'stop footerin aboot' which sort of means stop wasting time (do you find sometimes it's difficult to give a definitive meaning?) and also said something was 'in a sloo' meaning it was on a slope or to one side.

It is lovely to have a good light hearted thread with no arguments.:D

Buttercup
25-Sep-08, 18:24
Gowl (g-owl)~ crotch
Gapas (gap-ass) ~ idiot
Ingan ~ onion
Blackjock ~ blackbird
Cownan (cow-nan) ~ crying
Cloor ~ slap
Pudeens (pud-eens) ~ guts
Boak ~ gag

Murdina Bug
25-Sep-08, 19:22

Talking of body parts - what about 'hunkers'? My Dad used to say 'get down on your hunkers' meaning to crouch down. Dunno if it's a Caithness word or just one of his!

Buttercup
25-Sep-08, 19:24
Just remembered we used to get into terrible trouble at school for saying "til" instead of "to", (as in "working 9 til 5") and "chaykid" in place of "jacket".:lol:

Buttercup
25-Sep-08, 19:34
Talking of body parts - what about 'hunkers'? My Dad used to say 'get down on your hunkers' meaning to crouch down. Dunno if it's a Caithness word or just one of his!

I know this pronounced as hownkers.
And what about hownk meaning lump or chunk ~ as in "a beeg hownk o cake"

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 19:45
I don't think there are 'Snotters' in any other noses apart from Caithnesian ones:)

My wife remembered a saying that her granny used, 'Heels a'been', for someone who has fallen over, can't say i have ever heard it though.

Liz
25-Sep-08, 19:45
Half yokin meaning a tea break.:D

Liz
25-Sep-08, 19:51
My wife remembered a saying that her granny used, 'Heels a'been', for someone who has fallen over, can't say i have ever heard it though.

I often use this phrase and it also describes a mess as in 'everythings heels a been'.:lol:

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 20:55

I loved half yokin on e farm,e porradge wid be lowpin in e pan ready for us comin in from e barn x

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 21:00

Liz, that is originally a country saying as in "half yoking" meaning in between yoking (harnessing) the horses which pulled the farm implements before the days of tractors. It referred to the tea-break mid afternoon. My mother still says "right, yur half yokin's ready!" It is amazing the differences between town and country and even different districts. On the Groats side they say "cheerie" for cheerio which I had never heard of until I was in my thirties and I understand it comes from the Gaelic tongue.

I didna get oot muckle....;)

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 21:02
Oh I forgot about cho'ch(sp) my dad would say at meat was gie cho'ch a lot of the time...mind you at wis probably my mithers cookin ;) x

golach
25-Sep-08, 21:07
Liz, that is originally a country saying as in "half yoking" meaning in between yoking (harnessing) the horses which pulled the farm implements before the days of tractors. It referred to the tea-break mid afternoon. My mother still says "right, yur half yokin's ready!" It is amazing the differences between town and country and even different districts. On the Groats side they say "cheerie" for cheerio which I had never heard of until I was in my thirties and I understand it comes from the Gaelic tongue.

Torvaig, where I was brought up as a loon in Perthshire, (I was a bairn in Caithness ) my father drove a pair of horse, and in the Carse of Gowrie it was refered to as a Mid Yoking, the morning break for the horses and the men, often refered to as your midzer i.e. your piece and a flask of tea.

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 21:11
I loved half yokin on e farm,e porradge wid be lowpin in e pan ready for us comin in from e barn x

Ah, we would call porridge time "breakfast" and it was dished out about 11 o'clock. The men would have some tea and a scone to start the day and then came in for a more substantial meal o' porridge, biled eigg and a piece o' floorbreid or anither scone an' hom' made butter. Then at six o'clock hid wiz denner time; no such thing as lunch. I still have my dinner at night time; even though when I started working in town I had to get used to having lunches.

Angela
25-Sep-08, 21:14
I still say heels a been! Along with 'och an' ee' accompanied by a deep sigh! -not sure if that's a Caithness expression or not, but my granny used it pretty often.

The 'top of the day' was what my uncle would say - denner time! He said half yokin as well -he'd been a ploughman before WW2.

'Choch' or even 'gey choch' :eek:was sometimes applied to an old 'fowl' -we never had chickens in those days! ;)

In our family we said 'cheeriebye' usually.....

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 21:16
Torvaig, where I was brought up as a loon in Perthshire, (I was a bairn in Caithness ) my father drove a pair of horse, and in the Carse of Gowrie it was refered to as a Mid Yoking, the morning break for the horses and the men, often refered to as your midzer i.e. your piece and a flask of tea.

It was fascinating watching the horses working wasn't it? I remember a ploughing match being held on the farm I grew up on and it was exciting having all these people around. There was even a crate of small bottles of lemonade; a definite luxury in those days! No doubt there was stronger stuff for the grown-ups.....:lol:

Thumper
25-Sep-08, 21:19
My aunt always said top of the day,unless she was at the farm then it was half yokin,my uncle who owned the farm had to have porridge at half yokin but he had a bowl for the porridge and another for the milk and I would get to look in the press to see what treats there was,usually fergozade(like lucozade) and mars bars or orkney fudge,I would get half of whatever bar was there,oh how I miss those days! x

golach
25-Sep-08, 21:20
YOKIN, vbl.n. Also †yokeing, yoken (Sc. 1862 A. Hislop Proverbs 332), yokeen (s.Sc.); yoak-, yock-. Sc. usages. [ˈjokɪn] 1. The act of yoking horses for work; hence more gen. the commencement of a spell of work of any kind, e.g. in a mine (Lth. 1974). Hence yokin time, time to start work at ploughing, carting, or in gen. Gen.Sc.
It was too near yokin’ time at the farm.
2. (1) The period during which a horse is in harness at one stretch, gen. representing half a day’s work (Sc. 1782 J. Sinclair Ob. Sc. Dial. 189, 1825 Jam.; Fif., Lth., Ayr. 1923–6 Wilson). Gen.Sc., obsol. A large or lang yokin was freq. substituted for two ordinary daily yokins in winter extending throughout the hours of daylight. For mornin yokin see 1858 quot. Mid yokin, a break in the middle of a yokin.
Taken from the Dictionary of Scots Words , a great web site

Tighsonas4
25-Sep-08, 21:37
you always got a half yokin taken out even to the field as it saved lowsing the horses.top of e day usually 11 am e got porridge and maybe a couple of duck eggs gone are the days tony [lol]

highlander
25-Sep-08, 21:42
Another one is "slagg'in off" meaning saying something bad about someone, usually used if a person witnessed someone saying it, and then that person who heard it, passed it on to someone else refering to the one who first said it. LOL gawd now that was complacating.

wifie
25-Sep-08, 22:51
I don't think there are 'Snotters' in any other noses apart from Caithnesian ones:)

Or even slevers in wur mooths Gizmo! :)

domino
25-Sep-08, 23:03
Many of these words are used as far down as Newcastle. Deik, chore and gadje as far as India!

Shurely shome mishtake?
Born and brought up in wick. was working in dublin for a coupe of weeks and they would not believe I was Scottish. they were convinced I was from Northern Ireland. i understand that in parts of Donegal it sounds exactly the same as Wick

Julia
25-Sep-08, 23:06
Apologies if I have repeated any but my favourites are...

Boorach - terrible mess
Foosum - dirty
Gushel - to spill something
Skail - also to spill but usually tea
Slitter - to dribble
Ben (as in 'ben 'e hoose') - in the next room
Cloot - flannel or dishcloth
Duff - clootie dumpling

These words are commonplace in our family :lol:

wifie
25-Sep-08, 23:07
What about goin into the other room - but 'e hoose?

domino
25-Sep-08, 23:08
I use gouping in the context" ma feet are fair goupin" Sore

Liz
25-Sep-08, 23:09

YOKIN, vbl.n. Also †yokeing, yoken (Sc. 1862 A. Hislop Proverbs 332), yokeen (s.Sc.); yoak-, yock-. Sc. usages. [ˈjokɪn] 1. The act of yoking horses for work; hence more gen. the commencement of a spell of work of any kind, e.g. in a mine (Lth. 1974). Hence yokin time, time to start work at ploughing, carting, or in gen. Gen.Sc.
It was too near yokin’ time at the farm.
2. (1) The period during which a horse is in harness at one stretch, gen. representing half a day’s work (Sc. 1782 J. Sinclair Ob. Sc. Dial. 189, 1825 Jam.; Fif., Lth., Ayr. 1923–6 Wilson). Gen.Sc., obsol. A large or lang yokin was freq. substituted for two ordinary daily yokins in winter extending throughout the hours of daylight. For mornin yokin see 1858 quot. Mid yokin, a break in the middle of a yokin.
Taken from the Dictionary of Scots Words , a great web site

Cheers both! Very interesting.

Half yokin was often enjoyed leaning against a stook.:D

domino
25-Sep-08, 23:11
Muckle is an old Scots word and certainly is not paricular to only Caithness. You hear older folk everywhere using it

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 23:13
you always got a half yokin taken out even to the field as it saved lowsing the horses.top of e day usually 11 am e got porridge and maybe a couple of duck eggs gone are the days tony [lol]

Anither good wordie 'ere Tony; lowsing! And yes, taking the food out to the fields saved a lot of time and it always tasted better ootside!

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 23:13
And while the rest of the world gets a 'Bout Of Diarrhoea' we get a 'Doze o e' Skitter' :)

And do you get 'Mannies & Wifies' anywhere else but here?

domino
25-Sep-08, 23:16

I always understood half yokin to be the mid-morning break but I may be wrong

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 23:16
My aunt always said top of the day,unless she was at the farm then it was half yokin,my uncle who owned the farm had to have porridge at half yokin but he had a bowl for the porridge and another for the milk and I would get to look in the press to see what treats there was,usually fergozade(like lucozade) and mars bars or orkney fudge,I would get half of whatever bar was there,oh how I miss those days! x

Michty aye, ma Grandad lecked a bowlie of milk an' a bowlie o' porridge; dipped 'e spoonful o' porridge in 'e milk til make hid cooler. I can still see 'e cat sittan' waitan' til see if anybody wid leave some porridge or milk for her!

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 23:20
And while the rest of the world gets a 'Bout Of Diarrhoea' we get a 'Doze o e' Skitter' :)

Yis, wur great for ending wur wordies wi' "ies" as in loonies, lassies, dowgies, catties, bairnies, hoosies etc., etc. It seems to be the equivalent of "tu" and "vous" in French.....:)

domino
25-Sep-08, 23:20
As much as i have enjoyed this thread I must point out that a lot of the words used are not true Caithness words.On this site there is a list of proper words that are, probably, uniquely Caithnessian. Hate to be a spoilsport

Buttercup
25-Sep-08, 23:24

An afore yur a mannie or wifie, yur a bieagee or lassagee.

wifie
25-Sep-08, 23:26
An afore yur a mannie or wifie, yur a bieagee or lassagee.

Aye I mind weel bein a lassagie! [lol]

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 23:35
I always understood half yokin to be the mid-morning break but I may be wrong
I think it varied from family to family; it was always the afternoon break that we called half yoking....and still do!

Torvaig
25-Sep-08, 23:41
As much as i have enjoyed this thread I must point out that a lot of the words used are not true Caithness words.On this site there is a list of proper words that are, probably, uniquely Caithnessian. Hate to be a spoilsport

You are quite right; many are old Scots and used in many areas as part of the local dialect. As has been said before, even in Caithness the dialect changed from district to district. When I started in Wick High School I was quite surprised at the different pronunciations used by the Wickers and some words I had never heard at all just as they didn't know all the country words used by us neepdockers! Even "neepdockers" was new to me although I have docked many a neep!
P.S. You are not a spoilsport!

highlander
26-Sep-08, 06:39
Now how could we forget the clootie lol

Lavenderblue2
26-Sep-08, 08:12

Kathy I remember Catherine Cookson using oxter (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=25484) in her books- it's a great wordie though.

Great thread Highlander!!

highlander
26-Sep-08, 08:28
Thank-you Lavenderblue but i canna take the credit for the threed, it goes to Thumper, but i do agree its fandabbiedozie (surely a caithness word)lol to remember all the wordies lol

Thumper
26-Sep-08, 08:38
Heres another one I forgot about and a very special friend reminded me of-dowp!How could we have forgotten that one!!I honestly have never heard that being used anywhere but Caithness x

highlander
26-Sep-08, 09:19
mooth-mouth
plester-plaster
plestered-drunk
seck-sack

The rest of the words i am putting are taken from a auld book by John Geddes priced at 10p
all of the words are still used today
Antle-to argue
Biece-cattle
Bool- stone
Boorach-mess
Chappan-knocking
Clashan-gossiping
Clipe- to scratch eg "E cat cliped me"
Clokan hen- broody hen
Closad-bedroom
Coortan-courting
Cowan-weeping
Dinnad- Dunnet
Dirler-chamber pot
Divad-divot,turf
Dunt-bump or knock
Eine-one
Fluchter-nervous state
Footeran-messing about
Gansie-jumper
Gant-stammer
Geed-went
Geen-gone
Gobs-o-may-stormy weather in may
Goon or goonie- nightdress
Gowf- nasty smell
Hairy-brotag-a caterpillar believed to be of a tiger moth
Hirplan-limping
Jaiked- jacket
Kafuffle- a state of excitment
Lether-ladder
Lirpan-limping
Lowsed-un yoked
Meedad-minute "wait a wee meenadie"
Mell-hammer
Pechan-puffing or panting
Peelie-wallie=looking sick
Pells=matted wool or hair on dog
Piet=peat
Preeg=plead
Puckle=a small quantity
Purn=reel or bobbin
Sitherland=sutherland
Skail=spill
Skifter=dusting or sprinkling
Skint=broke
Stutch=mover briskly
Sneeteran=snigger or giggling
Sochan=breath heavily
Stab=wooden fence post
Stowter or stowter'en=stagger
Sweel=rinse
Trachled=tired, worn out
Trosk=stupid person
Wheeper-in = school inspector
Wilk- the periwinkle
Wraxed= strained or over stretched
Yin-yon
Yow= an ewe

Hecks i never realised i used so many caithness words, how many have you used here, will post more later
Also taken from this book
"What" in Canisbay would be prounounced "Fat" but in Wick idiom would be "fit" (also used in Aberdeen)

Lavenderblue2
26-Sep-08, 09:35
Thank-you Lavenderblue but i canna take the credit for the threed, it goes to Thumper, but i do agree its fandabbiedozie (surely a caithness word)lol to remember all the wordies lol

Please accept my apology Thumper – ‘fit am a lek?’ A fupag maybe… It's a long time since we had such a fun thread.

Here’s a few of my favourite wordies:

Slooan – lazy hulk - This word always makes me laugh. A few years ago I had a decorator in (not Mr Highlander) and he used to say, 'Get the kettle on Maggie yer slooan!' All in good fun - well I think it was...?

Trachled – tired
Dreich – dreary, dull and uninteresting - I use this word often.

highlander
26-Sep-08, 09:39
I have never heard "fupbag" before, what does that mean, aye "slooan" is a great word use it all the time lol

Thumper
26-Sep-08, 09:41
No apology needed Lavenderblue,we all get a bitty dottled at times ;) I am so enjoying this thread,its light hearted and full of wonderful memories!Oh and there hasnt been one gurn or dort on the whole thing :) x

Rheghead
26-Sep-08, 09:58
Can we all be seen to be speaking the Queen's English from now on please?:lol:

highlander
26-Sep-08, 10:00
Nae chance, Rheghead lol

wifie
26-Sep-08, 10:04
Ha ha tough cheese Rheggers! We are off and runnan wi hid! Highlander what about clipe as in tell tales? LOL I use so many of these day to day and I thought I spoke so well down here! [lol] I thought they didn't speak to me cos they didn't like me - now I know it is a language barrier! :roll:

Lavenderblue2
26-Sep-08, 10:17
I have never heard "fupbag" before, what does that mean, aye "slooan" is a great word use it all the time lol

Lol - not 'fupBAG' Highlander but 'fupag' - a worthless woman. :lol:

Tighsonas4
26-Sep-08, 10:33
I think it varied from family to family; it was always the afternoon break that we called half yoking....and still do!
yes we never got a morning break as it was porridge time at 11
stopping for the day was lousing time due no doubt to un harnessing
country bairns was all called neep dockers whether they had ever docked a neep or not must say i have enjoyed this thread. memories tony

riggerboy
26-Sep-08, 12:00
Can we all be seen to be speaking the Queen's English from now on please?:lol:

dont suppose they speak the wiek way on yer link
very good how many others have seen it lol

crustyroll
26-Sep-08, 13:48
My loon got till primary 5 before e teacher said he needed a speach therapist. The problem? She was English and couldna understand his Wick accent and this was in a Thurso primary school...lol

The speach therapist knew him (due to my other son, who at 15 has only now got a local thurso/wick accent) and didn't want till see him, she knew exactly what e problem was!

A true Weecker is e only one that can say.... "Get that out of there" and not pronounce one 'T' in the whole sentence..lol

domino
26-Sep-08, 19:59
You are quite right; many are old Scots and used in many areas as part of the local dialect. As has been said before, even in Caithness the dialect changed from district to district. When I started in Wick High School I was quite surprised at the different pronunciations used by the Wickers and some words I had never heard at all just as they didn't know all the country words used by us neepdockers! Even "neepdockers" was new to me although I have docked many a neep!
P.S. You are not a spoilsport!Thank you Torvaig. You are a gem.
Now some real Caithness words to get them all thinking and I am not going to give their meaning
Blin da
Sheepie meh
Mollymawk
Lythe
Teenie Sprowg
Crooner.
That will do for now. Some are easy others less so. see how you get on

domino
26-Sep-08, 20:03
Aye I mind weel bein a lassagie! [lol]
Acept lassagie but we tended to pronounce it "laskie" I am still struggling to spell the word ,still used, for boys, although most writers appear to use boyagies.

TBH
26-Sep-08, 20:04
Thank you Torvaig. You are a gem.
Now some real Caithness words to get them all thinking and I am not going to give their meaning
Blin da
Sheepie meh
Mollymawk
Lythe
Teenie Sprowg
Crooner.
That will do for now. Some are easy others less so. see how you get onA lythe and a crooner are fish, a sprowg is a sparrow, I can't remember rightly but I think a blin da is a dowg fish.

domino
26-Sep-08, 20:06
Michty aye, ma Grandad lecked a bowlie of milk an' a bowlie o' porridge; dipped 'e spoonful o' porridge in 'e milk til make hid cooler. I can still see 'e cat sittan' waitan' til see if anybody wid leave some porridge or milk for her!
God., loved that myself. Brings back fond memories of th 1940's.
We also used to have curds and whey for breakfast

Kenn
26-Sep-08, 20:09
Sheepie meh....white clover
Mollymawk......fulmar
Lythe......large
Teenie Sprog .....sparrow
Crooner....grey?

You got me beat on the others, love the dialect although I'm an outsider,this is a great thread. I get thrown every time by the word chiel...use it in my own dialect but it means a child and not a man.

loobyloo
26-Sep-08, 20:39
Trosk!!!! I thought that was my name for the first ten years lol :) Brilliant, very descriptive.
And stramash! Don't know if that's a Caithness word or not but there's always seemed to be one at wedding dances!

WeeBurd
26-Sep-08, 21:55
Does anyone else hev til tell thur dowgs til "stop rakin' at yur wachal, ya foosum brute"? [lol]

I too was often referred to as a trosk or (foosum) gomrel when I was choost a WeeBurdie!

Buttercup
26-Sep-08, 22:16
Does anyone else hev til tell thur dowgs til "stop rakin' at yur wachal, ya foosum brute"?

I too was often referred to as a trosk or (foosum) gomrel when I was choost a WeeBurdie!

Manys-a-time.[lol] Choost as long as hid's only e dowg ye've til say hid till.......... ;)

domino
27-Sep-08, 00:06
A lythe and a crooner are fish, a sprowg is a sparrow, I can't remember rightly but I think a blin da is a dowg fish.
The other two are a bird and a flower

domino
27-Sep-08, 00:09
Mollymawk......fulmar
Lythe......large
Crooner....grey?

You got me beat on the others, love the dialect although I'm an outsider,this is a great thread. I get thrown every time by the word chiel...use it in my own dialect but it means a child and not a man.
Between you and TBH you got them.
Mollymawk isnt strictly a Caithness word but may have been introduced by Caithness whalers. it generally refers to pelagic seabirds,I think of the Southern Oceans

Loch not Lock
27-Sep-08, 00:48
mooth-mouth
plester-plaster
plestered-drunk
seck-sack

The rest of the words i am putting are taken from a auld book by John Geddes priced at 10p
all of the words are still used today
Antle-to argue
Biece-cattle
Bool- stone
Boorach-mess
Chappan-knocking
Clashan-gossiping
Clipe- to scratch eg "E cat cliped me"
Clokan hen- broody hen
Closad-bedroom
Coortan-courting
Cowan-weeping
Dinnad- Dunnet
Dirler-chamber pot
Divad-divot,turf
Dunt-bump or knock
Eine-one
Fluchter-nervous state
Footeran-messing about
Gansie-jumper
Gant-stammer
Geed-went
Geen-gone
Gobs-o-may-stormy weather in may
Goon or goonie- nightdress
Gowf- nasty smell
Hairy-brotag-a caterpillar believed to be of a tiger moth
Hirplan-limping
Jaiked- jacket
Kafuffle- a state of excitment
Lether-ladder
Lirpan-limping
Lowsed-un yoked
Meedad-minute "wait a wee meenadie"
Mell-hammer
Pechan-puffing or panting
Peelie-wallie=looking sick
Pells=matted wool or hair on dog
Piet=peat
Preeg=plead
Puckle=a small quantity
Purn=reel or bobbin
Sitherland=sutherland
Skail=spill
Skifter=dusting or sprinkling
Skint=broke
Stutch=mover briskly
Sneeteran=snigger or giggling
Sochan=breath heavily
Stab=wooden fence post
Stowter or stowter'en=stagger
Sweel=rinse
Trachled=tired, worn out
Trosk=stupid person
Wheeper-in = school inspector
Wilk- the periwinkle
Wraxed= strained or over stretched
Yin-yon
Yow= an ewe

Hecks i never realised i used so many caithness words, how many have you used here, will post more later
Also taken from this book
"What" in Canisbay would be prounounced "Fat" but in Wick idiom would be "fit" (also used in Aberdeen)
Excellent list Highlander but I can remember my Grandad using "purn" to mean your willy.:)

Loch not Lock
27-Sep-08, 00:54
Clocker - meant a brooding hen or a member of the Free Church.

TBH
27-Sep-08, 01:40
Clocker - meant a brooding hen or a member of the Free Church.or clocher, meaning to get the phlegm off your chest?[lol]

Kenn
27-Sep-08, 09:10
Any one know where the AN suffix turning a word from a noun into a verb comes from or is it just the way of pronouncing ING?

i.e. cown, cowan
hirple hirplan

honey
27-Sep-08, 09:42
boug
boyagie (sp!! )
lassagie

seck-sack

:lol:

think we all got that answer when we first asked what "sex" was..

"summin e fermers carry thur tatties in"

Lavenderblue2
27-Sep-08, 09:55
Excellent list Highlander but I can remember my Grandad using "purn" to mean your willy.:)

I've never heard purn used in that way Loch but I had an uncle who used to keep a purn in his pocket into which he would insert his dowp (cigarette end) when it was too short to hold.

BTW my cats were drooked when they came in this morning! :lol:

Lavenderblue2
27-Sep-08, 10:01
Dirler-chamber pot

What about 'chanty' for chamber pot or 'gusunder'.

Kenn
27-Sep-08, 12:56
Were the cats a bit PEEDIE-WAILIE lavender blue?

golach
27-Sep-08, 13:21
Lizz, I think you mean
peelie-wally, (1) adj., sickly, feeble, pallid, wan, thin and ill-looking (Sc. [lol]

Lavenderblue2
27-Sep-08, 13:32

No not peellie-wally Liz but by the look of them now - one curled up in a cupboard and the other stretched out on the settee, they are 'fair feochled' - tired and worn out.

domino
27-Sep-08, 19:41
how about that good caithness word "spare". the flies in mens trousers. When we were young, about 50 years ago we used to say " wach or your birdie will fall out of the nest ,meaning your flies are undone!!!

golach
27-Sep-08, 19:44
how about that good caithness word "spare". the flies in mens trousers.
I think this is not just a Caithness word, in Perthshire the word is Spaiver

Kenn
28-Sep-08, 23:06
Falishes?? Is it a Caithness word and what does it mean?
I thought may be something to do with burning, heather etc from the context it was used in.

allanrfc
29-Sep-08, 18:41
dach-an a tinker
tinabowly a word from e dark side to describe e nice thurso folk
bint a women of ilrepute
bowgy belly

Buttercup
29-Sep-08, 19:27
Not sure if these two are just Caithness or not:
dicht ~ a quick wipe
sweel ~ rinse

domino
29-Sep-08, 20:07
Bint is an Arabic word. Sweel is a corruption of swill ie to rinse.
How about Paddy Hat. A caithness word for a trilby

attielattie
30-Sep-08, 16:23
My pal says things like "My holidays went by in a clatter" meaning they flew past
How about "takin a hurly round e street in yer car"
"Ma bowg's full an ahm stowed til e gunnels, look at e lurks o fat hingin oer ma troosers"
One of my workmates used to say "gowels" meaning the crotch of a pair of trousers!
Brilliant thread by the way

pat
30-Sep-08, 19:06
Just had someone say
You must be from Caithness - that is the only place has heard cold pronounced cowld.

Tighsonas4
30-Sep-08, 19:37
Just had someone say
You must be from Caithness - that is the only place has heard cold pronounced cowld.
by the change in the weather seems we will be saying
could e day a lot [lol] tony

domino
30-Sep-08, 20:36
Intersesting to read the word "hurly". In my childhoodthat was a fishbox on four pram wheels!
How about "spanker" a sack trolley

attielattie
01-Oct-08, 10:29
Unless I've missed it, I'm surprised no one has commented about minging/minger etc. I can remember using these expressions at least 20 years ago and was pretty certain they were peculiar to Caithness. Then, about 5 years ago, they started appearing in common usage down south and everyone now assumes they were colloquial English words.

teenybash
01-Oct-08, 10:41
Just had someone say

Cowld is used in parts of NI and there is a lot of other similarities with North Irish words and pronunciations....................:D

zappster
01-Oct-08, 11:26
one o ma favourites that i use at work regularly is "quit yer peepin"(and or cownin')
It always causes confusion!!haha

highlander
01-Oct-08, 12:49
Swack= swift, athletic
Sweeg= taste out of a bottle
Tak yir win = take your wind
Taze= school belt
Teem or Teem'in = pour with rain
Thrawn= determind
Skelp= clap vigorously
Slack= loose
Sook= suck
Rift= burp
Sconned= squashed
Shed= parting in your hair
Semmit= vest

highlander
01-Oct-08, 13:04
just remembered a couple more, how could i forget "Ach"=disgusted exclamation, i must say that about 20 times a day. lol or "Adirsay"= i dare say.

attielattie
01-Oct-08, 13:19
How about "ivenow" or, as my Wick pal has it, "iffynoo" for just now?

Purring someone up (teasing)

Pee heein' with someone (social climbing)

Is bufty a Caithness word?

wifie
01-Oct-08, 15:27
Love pee heean!
What about goo hooan - suppose it is sort of flirting or ingratiating oneself! :)

Bruce_H
01-Oct-08, 19:33
So I am a bit amazed. One of the words that is in the family vernacular is Peelie-Wallie, which I had always assumed was some archaic Scots. Even through my father was a few generations removed from his Dunbeath roots, some of it survived.

Is there a list of these common Caithness words? I would love to see what else made it in to his lexicon.

Bruce H

golach
01-Oct-08, 19:35
So I am a bit amazed. One of the words that is in the family vernacular is Peelie-Wallie, which I had always assumed was some archaic Scots. Even through my father was a few generations removed from his Dunbeath roots, some of it survived.

Is there a list of these common Caithness words? I would love to see what else made it in to his lexicon.

Bruce H

Try right here Bruce

http://www.caithness.org/dialect/

Liz
01-Oct-08, 19:36
We used to call the trailer pulled by a tractor a bogey (not sure of spelling?).

Is this a Caithness word?

Bruce_H
01-Oct-08, 19:46
Ok, how about this one - a quick nap would sometimes go by a couple of different terms:

"A wee dot"

"Time for a gonk!"

So - strange scots or Caithness?

Thanks

Bruce H

poppett
01-Oct-08, 21:27
Loobyloo`s "Trosk" reminded me of my best friends mother who used it a lot, as did my friend now she is a granny. Funnily enough over dinner on Sunday this thread was the topic of conversation. Pal`s mum was originally from Dingwall and my OH was brought up in Strathpeffer where "Trosk" was used regularly there too.

attielattie
01-Oct-08, 21:47
Ok, how about this one - a quick nap would sometimes go by a couple of different terms:

"A wee dot"

"Time for a gonk!"

So - strange scots or Caithness?

Thanks

Bruce H

Forgot about that one (a wee dot):lol: - I'm just about dottin' off here - it's near ma bed time

domino
01-Oct-08, 23:18
How about "purr" a stinging nettle

domino
01-Oct-08, 23:23
Do notknow what the proper spelling is for this word "grouchon" 1e the hair at the front of your head which,if long, falls over your eyes. i know it applied to males but not sure about females.

domino
01-Oct-08, 23:26
Mollymawk......fulmar
Lythe......large
Crooner....grey?

Lythe is a big cuddin and a crooner is a gurnard

wifie
01-Oct-08, 23:40
Do notknow what the proper spelling is for this word "grouchon" 1e the hair at the front of your head which,if long, falls over your eyes. i know it applied to males but not sure about females.

Thought that was yer dossan!

highlander
02-Oct-08, 07:34
Dont think we have had "Croach'in" means to move in on something.

Torvaig
02-Oct-08, 08:37

It's ages since I heard that word and I do like your spelling of it! It does apply to females as well and is a word that we always used when we were young although I can't remember ever seeing it written down. In fact, fringe was practically a foreign word to us; it was always grouchon.

highlander
02-Oct-08, 08:44
I bought the book "Mainly SK" BY Tommy Geddes, its a great book of tales of old caithness, in the book it has the word "Grucann" means a fringe of hair over the brow

Torvaig
02-Oct-08, 09:04
I bought the book "Mainly SK" BY Tommy Geddes, its a great book of takes of old caithness, in the book it has the word "Grucann" means a fringe of hair over the brow

Well done Highlander; now we know! Thank you.....:)

Kenn
02-Oct-08, 13:19
Thanks domino I will get to grips with the dialect!
I love the word rooped, so much more discriptive than hoarse and would love to taste saumie-cuttie, any one gonna bake me some?

Liz
02-Oct-08, 13:53

I bought the book "Mainly SK" BY Tommy Geddes, its a great book of tales of old caithness, in the book it has the word "Grucann" means a fringe of hair over the brow

I'd forgotten that word!lol

alfie
04-Oct-08, 13:57
"Gluff" this has got to be one of the funniest and strangest words in the caithness dialect - and for those of you who don't know what it means - I got a right gluff (fright)!!!

sassylass
04-Oct-08, 23:57
What about "slockit" or is that an Orcadian word?

Buttercup
05-Oct-08, 01:15
"Gluff" this has got to be one of the funniest and strangest words in the caithness dialect - and for those of you who don't know what it means - I got a right gluff (fright)!!!

We use the words everyday and just take them for granted. (Alfies' post reminded me of a similar word) guff. As in "Shut the door, there's an awful guff (draught)" But also used to mean smell as in "Thurs a right guff o' weet dowg in here"