PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory Purchase Orders for Windfarms!!

Rheghead
09-Jan-06, 20:02
Fast on the heals of the Scottish Executives recent proposed changes to the planning system (aimed at speeding up windfarm and transportation projects see http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2005/12/20102725 )
we are now faced with the nightmare scenario of windfarm developers claiming compulsary purchase rights to develop their windfarm projects.
CRE Energy (Scottish Power) have submitted a request to Ofgem to seek powers under their electricity generation licence granted by Ofgem, to seek the powers of compulsary purchase of land (under paras 5-7 of the Standard Licence Conditions 14 and paras 5-8 of the Standard Licence Conditions 15) for projects throughout the UK.
Ofgem seem in the preliminary view to consider that there are "no objective justification for CRE to be denied powers" for a period of five years!!!!!
see http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/temp/ofgem/cache/cmsattach/13428_0306.pdf?wtfrom=/ofgem/index.jsp

jjc
09-Jan-06, 21:16
we are now faced with the nightmare scenario of windfarm developers claiming compulsary purchase rights to develop their windfarm projects. Whilst I don’t agree with the compulsory purchase of land, it's unfair to look at this as being either something new (“we are now faced”) or unique to windfarm developments.

The request from CRE Energy Limited was made in accordance with the Electricity Act 1989. The same act has been used for compulsory purchase orders for power lines and pylons.

Again, whilst I don’t agree with compulsory purchase orders, that’s because of what they are and not because of the companies which use them.

It is also worth mentioning that Ofgem’s ruling does not remove the requirement for the Secretary of State to approve each compulsory purchase order.

Ofgem seem in the preliminary view to consider that there are "no objective justification for CRE to be denied powers" for a period of five years A few important words missing there and in the spirit of giving windfarms a fair hearing I think that it is only right that we give an accurate quote. Ofgem’s actual ruling is:

“Until such time as this review [of the electricity generation license] is completed, Ofgem considers that, in relation to CRE’s request, there is no objective justification for CRE to be denied similar powers as compared with other companies that have SLC14 and SLC15 in effect in their electricity generation licence.”

DW
09-Jan-06, 21:24
Fast on the heals of the Scottish Executives recent proposed changes to the planning system (aimed at speeding up windfarm and transportation projects see http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2005/12/20102725 )
we are now faced with the nightmare scenario of windfarm developers claiming compulsary purchase rights to develop their windfarm projects.
CRE Energy (Scottish Power) have submitted a request to Ofgem to seek powers under their electricity generation licence granted by Ofgem, to seek the powers of compulsary purchase of land (under paras 5-7 of the Standard Licence Conditions 14 and paras 5-8 of the Standard Licence Conditions 15) for projects throughout the UK.
Ofgem seem in the preliminary view to consider that there are "no objective justification for CRE to be denied powers" for a period of five years!!!!!
see http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/temp/ofgem/cache/cmsattach/13428_0306.pdf?wtfrom=/ofgem/index.jsp

Oh dear, it's the 50's and 60's education showing through again
heals should be heels
Executives should be Executive's
compulsary should be compulsory
there are should be there is.

KittyMay
09-Jan-06, 21:34
These developers have got targets to meet and though the vast majority of people in this country (we're told) 'embrace' wind energy they're having a bit of a struggle getting their grubby mitts on enough of our countryside.

Thank goodness for the Highland Renewable Energy Strategy - there'll be no requirement for compulsory purchase orders here.

jjc
09-Jan-06, 22:06
Oh dear, it's the 50's and 60's education showing through again Oh dear indeed.

Ignoring the uncomfortable sentence-structure you have used, as you are abbreviating the 1950s and the 1960s you should have written “the ‘50s and ‘60s education”. You might notice that I have dropped the apostrophes you had placed after the zeros. As we are referring to the education of the decades in question and not the education belonging to them an apostrophe to denote ownership is really not necessary. You might also want to think about using periods at the ends of your sentences; they help your readers to determine your meaning.

Of course, if you’d like to move away from grammatical assassination and, instead, tell us what you think about compulsory-purchase orders then that would be just fine. ;):p

rich62_uk
09-Jan-06, 22:28
This maybe a naive question however I really feel the need to ask, after reading a number of threads I get the feeling of a certain hatred of wind farms in the area, having visited a number of wind farms in the Norfolk area I found them quite aesthetically pleasing.
ps...... I was in one of the lower grades and know my grammar is useless and if the spelling is wrong blame the spell checker :p Trish.

badger
10-Jan-06, 18:27
This maybe a naive question however I really feel the need to ask, after reading a number of threads I get the feeling of a certain hatred of wind farms in the area, having visited a number of wind farms in the Norfolk area I found them quite aesthetically pleasing.
ps...... I was in one of the lower grades and know my grammar is useless and if the spelling is wrong blame the spell checker :p Trish.

Ah but do you actually live near any windfarms? I know several people who find them pleasing; indeed I used to look out for a windfarm off the M6 (I think) in the days before I lived up here and drove up for visits. Even the ones on the Causewaymire can look quite beautiful in certain lights. But, and it's a big but (and I know you should never start a sentence with but :rolleyes: ) I then want them taken away please because I loved the view as it was before and now it's been ruined. That's the trouble with windfarms - once they're there you can't get away from them. The turbines just keep on turning and shaking the ground and making a noise and there's nothing you can do about it. Do you know there are applications for almost any piece of land big enough to drop a handkerchief on? If we weren't fighting them there would be no more wild, peaceful Caithness - just one big energy factory.

rich62_uk
10-Jan-06, 18:43
Ah but do you actually live near any windfarms? I know several people who find them pleasing; indeed I used to look out for a windfarm off the M6 (I think) in the days before I lived up here and drove up for visits. Even the ones on the Causewaymire can look quite beautiful in certain lights. But, and it's a big but (and I know you should never start a sentence with but :rolleyes: ) I then want them taken away please because I loved the view as it was before and now it's been ruined. That's the trouble with windfarms - once they're there you can't get away from them. The turbines just keep on turning and shaking the ground and making a noise and there's nothing you can do about it. Do you know there are applications for almost any piece of land big enough to drop a handkerchief on? If we weren't fighting them there would be no more wild, peaceful Caithness - just one big energy factory.

No I do not and never have, I will sit on the fence until I have lived near a wind farm and thank you for your very gentle rebuke. Trish..... :o

ywindy
11-Jan-06, 00:21
No I do not and never have, I will sit on the fence until I have lived near a wind farm and thank you for your very gentle rebuke. Trish..... :o

Rich 62, I suspect that the windfarms you were familiar with were the early models. The ones we have in Caithness today are small in comparison to those planned. I know this won't make sense to everyone reading, but if you put a Causewaymire turbine on top of Jocks Folly, it would the height of the Dunbeath turbines now proposed for Dunbeath, and twice the height of those recently sprouted at Latheron.:eek:
Ywindy