PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Accent on Britains Youngest Grannies

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
24-Sep-08, 21:17
Any one watching? loon on it called tich who's 19 - sounds like he;s from caithness.....channel 2 - either that or irish - it's hard to tell in amoungst Geordie types.....

balto
24-Sep-08, 21:23
was there not someone originally from caithness on it before, but she lives away now.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
24-Sep-08, 21:29
No this is a lad - who is the father of the grandchild....he;s 19.

balto
24-Sep-08, 21:48
No this is a lad - who is the father of the grandchild....he;s 19.
no i was just saying that someone from caithness was on it before. havent got a clue who she was as i didnt watch it was told, by my sister.

TBH
24-Sep-08, 22:10
Any one watching? loon on it called tich who's 19 - sounds like he;s from caithness.....channel 2 - either that or irish - it's hard to tell in amoungst Geordie types.....There is nothing Caithnessian about the Geordie accent i.m.o. Besides that, there is more than one Caithnessian accent.

mccaugm
24-Sep-08, 22:13
There was a woman I had a conversation with in the Wick Hospital about a while ago who claimed to be one of Britains youngest grannies. She reckoned that this was common knowledge. I confessed that I was not aware of this at the time. No idea what her name was, sorry!

balto
24-Sep-08, 22:15
There was a woman I had a conversation with in the Wick Hospital about a while ago who claimed to be one of Britains youngest grannies. She reckoned that this was common knowledge. I confessed that I was not aware of this at the time. No idea what her name was, sorry!
if she was from wick think i know who she is well her last name anyway.

TBH
24-Sep-08, 22:20
The distinction of being Britain's youngest Granny.[lol] What an accolade.

balto
24-Sep-08, 22:23
The distinction of being Britain's youngest Granny.[lol] What an accolade.aye what an thing to brag about, not sometihng i would be doing if it was me.

trix
24-Sep-08, 22:29
i ken one o' 'e youngest granys but far too scared til say her name....

she's prity tough an mite stick it on me [para]

balto
24-Sep-08, 22:34
i ken one o' 'e youngest granys but far too scared til say her name....

she's prity tough an mite stick it on me [para]think that might be the sameone i am thinking about, wouldnt like to cross her to be honest.

trix
24-Sep-08, 22:38
think that might be the sameone i am thinking about, wouldnt like to cross her to be honest.

[lol] laughin ma ass off [lol]

northener
24-Sep-08, 22:42
Comment from a friend of mine whilst visiting Wick last year:

"I've never seen as many young girls pushing prams"............

balto
24-Sep-08, 22:44

in fear of getting my head chewed of here, it is one way to get a council house, they go about things the wrong way now.

Amy-Winehouse
24-Sep-08, 22:47

I take it your friend has never set foot in Dundee yet then???

Q.What do you call a 12 year old with a pram in Dundee?

A.Mum

:eek:

TBH
24-Sep-08, 23:01

"I've never seen as many young girls pushing prams"............Wick's teenagers are doing their utmost to address the declining population of Scotland. For that they should be applauded.

armanisgirl
24-Sep-08, 23:16
Why would anyone want to brag about being Britains youngest granny? personally I'd be appalled!! My oldest child (a boy) has been warned if he gets his girlfriend pregnant, he better put some trainers on and make a super-hasty exit before I get my hands on him! At 37, I certainly don't want to be a granny! I was 21 when I had my first child, and by 22/23 felt that 21 was too young to start a family!! But, in today's society, it seems to be true little girls are having babies - simply to get a council house and some DSS benefits. I dread my daughter becoming a teenager!

But some people have very strange ideas about what to be proud of. I was stood in a queue in the post office today, and a young couple came in and stood behind my partner and I. We overheard (as did rest of post office!) a bragging match between the two, who began by saying they had just been for their 'meths'. The male said it was warm, the female said she was sweating like a pig. The male said yeah, must be coz of the meths, he's on 20mls you know! She followed it up with, yeah, but I'm on 50mls I am!!! Why is this someting to be proud of? And to finish the conversation off, they compared what other drugs they had just consumed as soon as they had been given their 'meths'. It's shocking what people of today's society will openly brag about. What happened to morals and shame?

Julia
24-Sep-08, 23:31
How young was Britain's youngest granny then?

----------------------------

Little girl says to her mummy, 'mummy why are your hands so soft, is it because you use fairy liquid'?

Mummy says, 'no, it's because I'm 12'

Gizmo
24-Sep-08, 23:42
The lad in question is Richard Tait and he is from Wick, there is another Wicker there aswell, Donnie Mackay, he can be seen sitting on a couch but doesn't speak, they both now live in Runcorn with their girlfriends (who are sisters) and bairns, that program was recorded early on in the year and was first shown on BBC 3 about 6 months ago.

Gizmo
24-Sep-08, 23:49
if she was from wick think i know who she is well her last name anyway.

The grannie in this program is not from Wick.

TBH
24-Sep-08, 23:55
The thing they fail to understand is, although it may be biologicaly possible, it doesn't make it psychologicaly possible.

Fran
25-Sep-08, 02:58

Yes, she was in the newspapers too and still lives in wick. Cant name her.

Bruce_H
25-Sep-08, 06:35
Slightly off the Granny thread, but this fellow seems to have quite the accent as he cuts slate in Caithness (YouTube Video)

Waltzing the Stones - Caithness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-2ARXaLz1M)

How close is that to accurate (being a Yank myself)

Bruce H

hotrod4
25-Sep-08, 06:58
The lad in question is Richard Tait and he is from Wick, there is another Wicker there aswell, Donnie Mackay, he can be seen sitting on a couch but doesn't speak, they both now live in Runcorn with their girlfriends (who are sisters) and bairns, that program was recorded early on in the year and was first shown on BBC 3 about 6 months ago.

Think your right their Gizmo, I rememeber originally seeing it about 6 months ago. I did wonder who the guy was but did notice the "twang". You've got a mind like an elephant!!! :)

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 09:29
Think your right their Gizmo, I rememeber originally seeing it about 6 months ago. I did wonder who the guy was but did notice the "twang". You've got a mind like an elephant!!! :)

They are mates of mine, that's how i remember, they are both quite a bit younger than myself but we used to play in one of the local Darts teams, they're a couple o good lads.

Invisible
25-Sep-08, 10:42
tich was from caithness but down south now

balto
25-Sep-08, 11:35
The grannie in this program is not from Wick.
aye i know she wasnt on it, i was saying how she had been on that program before.

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 11:44
aye i know she wasnt on it, i was saying how she had been on that program before.

But last nights program was a repeat, it was originally shown around 6 months ago, i was led to believe that this was a one off program, was there an earlier one?

balto
25-Sep-08, 11:48
But last nights program was a repeat, it was originally shown around 6 months ago, i was led to believe that this was a one off program, was there an earlier one?
aye there must have been as she was on it cause i watched it myself, think mayby it was a year or two ago, cant be anymore exact. it might have been on a different side but along those lines.

Valerie Campbell
25-Sep-08, 11:49
I would be mortified being a granny in my 30s. Now, 50s, I could cope with!! Still, I've got the grey hair coming thick and fast...

balto
25-Sep-08, 11:54
if you teach your children the wrongs and rights of having relationships early on and explain to them that there is a legal age for a reason, there is still a change that it might happen and they will be caught out, i for one know that if any of my 2 daughters were to come to me and tell me they were pregnant they ok i wouldnt be happy about it but i would support them 100% and give all the support they needed, cant say the same for their dad. but hey thats life.

justine
25-Sep-08, 14:54
When we first moved to wick i got straight from the horses mouth about being the youngest granny. I could not believe what i was hearing.I would be ashamed if my oldest made me a granny .She is 18 and im 38 so i would not be chuffed.

Not something to be proud of thats for sure.

trix
25-Sep-08, 15:40
mother - pregnant at 13, bairned at 14

child - pregnant at 13, bairned at 14

patterned?
ye widna think that a bairn o' 13 wid be able til hev sex properly, an ye widna think a bairn o' 14 wid be able til survive child birth.

am nearly 30 an 'e prospect scares me half til deith (child birth, no 'e sex part)

ma mind is bogglin ifanow :eek::eek:

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
25-Sep-08, 16:20
There is nothing Caithnessian about the Geordie accent i.m.o. Besides that, there is more than one Caithnessian accent.

aye but what im saying is - against the back drop of the geordie types I was finding it hard to concentrate on what this possible other accent was.....

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
25-Sep-08, 16:22

thanks for that ......... all I was trying to say was I thought it was a Caithness accent - wasn't expecting to open another can o worms!!

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 16:25
thanks for that ......... all I was trying to say was I thought it was a Caithness accent - wasn't expecting to open another can o worms!!

I didn't realise a can of worms had been opened, i was just confirming what you thought.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
25-Sep-08, 16:27
no no you opening the can o worms others ranting on about the state of the nation ....

trix
25-Sep-08, 16:28
chill KOT, wur choost hevin a blether :Razz

Gizmo
25-Sep-08, 16:37
no no you opening the can o worms others ranting on about the state of the nation ....

Well....e nation is in a bit o ah state joost now :)

balto
25-Sep-08, 16:44
no no you opening the can o worms others ranting on about the state of the nation ....sorry but i am lost what has the state of the nation got to do with being a young grannie.

trix
25-Sep-08, 16:50
sorry but i am lost what has the state of the nation got to do with being a young grannie.

[lol] HELLO!!!!!! [lol]

balto
25-Sep-08, 17:16
[lol] HELLO!!!!!! [lol]
apart from the fact that the state pays for most of these children, so aye i suppose you have a point.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
25-Sep-08, 23:21
chill KOT, wur choost hevin a blether :Razz
it's ok KOT is chilled.......take a bit more than 30 something grannies to get me above zero degrees!!