PDA

View Full Version : I have become a Green bag Wifie

Anne x
24-Sep-08, 12:05
I carry a folded down green Baggy for my shopping to save on Carrier bags I carry Hessian Bags and Bt Bags when doing the big shop but was just wondering when we throw our rubbish into wheelie bin all tied up incase of spillage are those bags bio degradeable as they still end up on landfill and defeats the purpose of cutting down on supermarket bags
what do you do ?

balto
24-Sep-08, 15:51
i must confess that i still use the carrier bags that are in the shops, for my own reasons(and no it isnt silly) i hate the sight of these bags for life, seen them to many times filled with tins of lager if you get where i am comng from.

muffin
24-Sep-08, 17:55
I went shopping in Wick on Saturday with my trusty Free Trade straw bag. Every shop I went into, the person serving automatically reached for a plastic bag and each time I had to say 'No thanks, I have a bag'
Surely they should be asking if I really need a bag.
Do you think we could get someone on the council to launch an initiative to at least get shopkeepers to ask if their customers really need a bag, some towns have banned them completely. I see lots of plastic hanging from the barbed wire fences, can't be good for any living being and looks very tatty.

Anne x
24-Sep-08, 20:32
thanks Muffin I actually missed the point in my post I live in a small cul de sac and the amount of people putting rubbish in wheelies all tied up in plastic bags same people who I see trotting out with there hessian or reusable bags to do there weekly shop
no I dont people watch or spy on peoples wheelies I just wondered it came up in a conversation at the weekend with friends about saving for green points and M& S charging for food bags

golach
24-Sep-08, 21:18
I carry a folded down green Baggy for my shopping to save on Carrier bags I carry Hessian Bags and Bt Bags when doing the big shop but was just wondering when we throw our rubbish into wheelie bin all tied up incase of spillage are those bags bio degradeable as they still end up on landfill and defeats the purpose of cutting down on supermarket bags
what do you do ?
Anne x, you have gone Green Baggy???? In the words of Richard Meldrew "I don't believe it". Care to tell how much your last hand baggy cost [lol]

poppett
24-Sep-08, 21:24
Sainsburys have their bags for life on special offer at 50pence each. Got three Tesco blue ones for £1.20, but usually leave them in the car by mistake so have to double handle everything.

henry20
24-Sep-08, 21:31

I work in a shop (not in Wick) and always make a point of asking. I don't grudge the customer a bag, but if its something relatively small and they already have a bag or two with them, they may not want or need another one.

One day, a customer bought a small item and I asked if they needed a bag and they said 'yes please' when I handed it over, they rolled the bag up and put it inside another they were carrying :roll:

No, Anne, your bin liners aren't always biodegradeable although they are available in some sizes.

Julia
24-Sep-08, 22:54
I went shopping in Wick on Saturday with my trusty Free Trade straw bag. Every shop I went into, the person serving automatically reached for a plastic bag and each time I had to say 'No thanks, I have a bag'
Do you think we could get someone on the council to launch an initiative to at least get shopkeepers to ask if their customers really need a bag, some towns have banned them completely. I see lots of plastic hanging from the barbed wire fences, can't be good for any living being and looks very tatty.

That's a very valid point, do you need a bag rather than just giving one gets my vote. I've used quite a few bags this week as I line my paint trays with them when decorating, I figured better to use some bags than gallons of water cleaning the trays out.

I always try to use 'green' bags for shopping but I do use plastic bags as my eco-friendly bin is designed to reuse plastic grocery bags.

Anne x
24-Sep-08, 23:04
Anne x, you have gone Green Baggy???? In the words of Richard Meldrew "I don't believe it". Care to tell how much your last hand baggy cost [lol]

not the point here G but get your drift and very personal imop My handbags not on a landfill site unless when I kick the bucket daughter doesnt want THEM !!
I was on about supermarkets giving green points and M& S charging for bags trying to do our bit and still people are putting plastic baggies in there wheelies and by the same token collecting points at supermarkets AND if I did carry my green folda away baggie inside my designer baggy that be fine as well