PDA

View Full Version : Help with dog!

floyed
24-Sep-08, 11:38
What type of dog would be good to get in this situation your help would be great.

One that does not shed to much hair or not very hair as partner has asthma, we have a 6 year old son so would like one that is good with kids. Also not too big would be great.
Thank you.

unicorn
24-Sep-08, 11:50
How about a chinese crested. Not much hair but you have to take care of the skin well and make sure it is warm.

justine
24-Sep-08, 11:54
Ok so i will probably get jumped on for this one, but for the needs you have mentioned the only breed that springs to mind is the staffy. Yes i know they have that fearsome reputation, but as with all dogs its the owners that make them bad. Any dog big or small can turn at any point so breed differences dont make a difference.
We have a staffy and he is 11 mths old.Tank.
As you probably may have heard i have a few kids many being under 6 and i can honestly say that the staffy, known by the kennel club and many other dog organizations as the NANNY dog, for one good reason, they are excellent with children. They are neither too big and they dont shed hair. They are very loyal and love to be around people, especially children.
As with all dogs you really need to get one as a pup, 9 - 12 week and make sure you train it.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/breeds/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier

Heres a couple of links for you to read , with lotsof info about the breed.I had laways in the passed refused to entertain a staffy because of the reputation, but to be honest now that i have one and have seen what they are like, i would recommend them to anyone, but you must have a pack leader attitude.I am a fan of Ceaser Milan, The Dog Whisperer..I learnt alot about dog behaviour and it has helped me keep my dogs in check.But thats just my recommendation. Good luck in your search for a pup and i hope when you find one that you have many years of fun and friendship with it.

porshiepoo
24-Sep-08, 13:37
Dogs that don't moult include Yorkies (may be a tint bit of shedding but you don't notice), poodles, Bichon Frise, Shih Tzu, mexican hairless, mini Schnauzer.
Although I say don't moult, some owners have found that they may moult a little.
I have a yorkie and a Shih Tzu and neither moult.

Personally I would say that your experience with dogs has to be taken into consideration when choosing the breed.
Yes, it is the owners that produce Agressive dogs but there are gladitorial type breeds that need firmer handling to prevent this part of their inbred nature coming out.

I have owned a Staffy and I would not recommend this breed unless you and your family are confident in your leadership abilities. We aquired this particular dog as he had killed a Poodle and was on death row, he had immense problems with agression which we did manage to iron out. However, although they're a smallish breed they have immense power and channeled wrong it's dangerous.

I have been told many times by many owners that Bull Terriers are fantastic, loyal family pets, however they are still a gladitorial type breed and are very intelligent and personally I don't think they're right for first time owners. (My opinion only)

Just so you know: Staffy's are a separate breed to Bull Terriers.

I think it also depends on what exercise and family time you will have to spend with the dog. These are all the boring bits but if you are honest about your time, abilities and experience then you stand a much better chance of getting it right the first time.

Maybe you could post those bits of info on here and see what people come up with??

Good Luck searching.:)

justine
24-Sep-08, 13:52
see how quick a response comes if staffies are mentioned..:roll:

So what would your recommendation be, all staffies not be homed because they have a bad reputation then porshipoo.?
Yorkies are renound nippers as are many of the smaller breed mentioned. Poodles are ok with kids, but can become dominant very quickly.Bichon frise tend to be one owner dogs, they can change their personalities quickly, just like any dog. I was not saying he should get a staffy, but they are voted by Kennel clubs all over the worls, for being the best with children. NANNY DOG, for a reason.
Sorry but everytime i talk about staffies being ideal pets, someone always, goes on about them, all bad points mainly. They deserve alot more than having people putting anyone off them. Breeds dont become a consideration for a dog, its a species, CANINE first and all canines live as a pack, breeds we distinguish.

DeHaviLand
24-Sep-08, 13:58

So what would your recommendation be, all staffies not be homed because they have a bad reputation then porshipoo.?
Yorkies are renound nippers as are many of the smaller breed mentioned. Poodles are ok with kids, but can become dominant very quickly.Bichon frise tend to be one owner dogs, they can change their personalities quickly, just like any dog. I was not saying he should get a staffy, but they are voted by Kennel clubs all over the worls, for being the best with children. NANNY DOG, for a reason.
Sorry but everytime i talk about staffies being ideal pets, someone always, goes on about them, all bad points mainly. They deserve alot more than having people putting anyone off them. Breeds dont become a consideration for a dog, its a species, CANINE first and all canines live as a pack, breeds we distinguish.

Wind yer neck in, no-one was criticising your post, or any breed of dog. Jaysus:roll:

trix
24-Sep-08, 14:28
calm doon justine :lol:

i lek a staffy, they are lovely dowgs.

i da ken fit til say floyed, i wid settle for a goldfish masel :Razz

ye could go til 'e pet rescue an see fit they hev.

ma pal got a lovely dowg fie them (poppy) lives in 'e street doon fie yers...

Julia
24-Sep-08, 15:36
We have a miniature poodle, he does not cast at all which is what I wanted as my son has allergies and my daughter has asthma. He also has a great temperament and a good breed for kids.

As porshiepoo stated dogs that don't cast or cast little are Yorkies, Poodles, Bichon Frise, Shih Tzu, Mexican Hairless, Mini Schnauzer.

Without getting jumped on I certainly would not recommend Staffordshire Bull Terriers for families with children (or similar head strong dangerous breeds such as Rottweilers, Dobermans, Chow Chows, Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes and German Shepherds), it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

In 2006 the Top 10 Dangerous dogs, based on the overall number of reported attacks in the UK

Staffordshire Terrier - 279
Cattle Dog - 208
Rottweiler - 173
German Shepherd - 166
Pit Bull - 133
Kelpie - 100
Bullmastiff - 90
Labrador - 83
Bull Terrier - 74
Terrier - 66

You can't argue fact!

balto
24-Sep-08, 15:56
we have a collie cross staffy and he is the daftest dog around not a bit dangerous, well unless you could licking you to death, plus his coat is so short he doesnt cast.:Razz:Razz

Dazarch
24-Sep-08, 16:36
We have a Bulldog, we have had him for 8yrs, 4 of which has been with our daughter. He is the most gentle dog we have ever had, she can do anything to him and he just sits there, he doesnt have an aggressive bone in him. He doesnt cast an awful lot. I think with these muscular dogs they must be well trained as with any dog really. We did pay quite a bit of money for him from a breeder we found on the KC web site, which I strongly recommend. As we have found ourself with a physco dog in the past, so we did our homework and ended up the best dog.

trix
24-Sep-08, 16:44
ma mi'rs dowg is choost a mongral that ma bri'r got fie 'e tinklers years ago.

she's really cool tho. she's choost learnt a new trick.

she goes til 'e door an pretends she needs a pee then when someone opens 'e door she runs in 'e direction o' 'e biscuit tin...:lol:

gets ma auld cheil everytime [lol]

ever heard o' 'e dowg that cried 'wolf'?

carasmam
24-Sep-08, 16:48
It's all about doing your homework and here is a good place to get varied opinions on breeds. :) The moulting seems to be your main concern so start there and research breeds that moult less and narrow it down to size and temperament etc.

I have a headstrong terrier who casts like the devil but she doesn't make me sneeze - cats and long haired dogs do though - not sure how an asthma sufferer would get on with terrier hairs.

What experience do you have, did you have dogs while growing up etc.
Good luck in your search :D

justine
24-Sep-08, 17:42
we have a collie cross staffy and he is the daftest dog around not a bit dangerous, well unless you could licking you to death, plus his coat is so short he doesnt cast.:Razz:Razz

Thats what tank is, collie cross staffie, and are they not just fantastic smart dogs, funny, playfull, and great family pets.

dragonfly
24-Sep-08, 18:32
a poodle would fit the bill perfectly, they come in different sizes (minature, toy or standard) and don't have hair coats that cast. don't go for a poodle cross (labradoodle, cockerpoo etc) if you have an asthmatic as you can't guarantee how their coats will be as an adult dog.

if its your first dog and you have young kids I would not recommend you get a staffie

Liz
24-Sep-08, 19:43
I am an asthmatic and have a Sheltie and don't have any problems.

I actually have more of a problem with 'wiry coats' and coarse haired dogs.

I would agree though that a poodle would fit the bill perfectly.I had one a while ago and he was absolutely gorgeous!

binbob
24-Sep-08, 20:44
I am an asthmatic and have a Sheltie and don't have any problems.

I actually have more of a problem with 'wiry coats' and coarse haired dogs.

I would agree though that a poodle would fit the bill perfectly.I had one a while ago and he was absolutely gorgeous!

i also have severe asthma...and have had dogs all of my life.i am lucky ,however that i am not allergic to dog hair.even if i was the dogs would stay...immunity CAN be built up to allergies.,by exposure.
cig smoke is a killer for me though...

Roughshooter
24-Sep-08, 21:14
Dangerous dogs figures 2006 where did you get them from may I ask because Id like to see them for myself as the do not agree with the figures I have seen.

Current figures for 2008 based on reported attacks to Police,

Pitbull/X 153
Gsd/X 86
Rotties/X 43
Staffies/X 21
Yorkie/X 14
Collie/X 11
Lab/X 8
Unknown breeds? 16

Any dog is OK with a family IF it is treated as a DOG and given its basic needs and leadership from day 1. I brought up my Kids around Rotties and Gsds never had a problem, a dog is a dog it is NOT a person or dont get one at all.

balto
24-Sep-08, 21:25
Dangerous dogs figures 2006 where did you get them from may I ask because Id like to see them for myself as the do not agree with the figures I have seen.

Pitbull/X 153
Gsd/X 86
Rotties/X 43
Staffies/X 21
Yorkie/X 14
Collie/X 11
Lab/X 8
Unknown breeds? 16

Any dog is OK with a family IF it is treated as a DOG and given its basic needs and leadership from day 1. I brought up my Kids around Rotties and Gsds never had a problem, a dog is a dog it is NOT a person or dont get one at all.aye i agree any dog can turn bad if it isnt treated the right way.

Liz
24-Sep-08, 22:45
i also have severe asthma...and have had dogs all of my life.i am lucky ,however that i am not allergic to dog hair.even if i was the dogs would stay...immunity CAN be built up to allergies.,by exposure.
cig smoke is a killer for me though...

Sorry to hear that you have asthma. I have allergies as well and it isn't very nice.
Like you though I would keep my pets even if I was allergic to them as they enrich my life in so many ways that life would be awful without them.

I can't groom my cats (good excuse!)as this sets off my asthma and allergies but I do agree that you build up an immunity the more you are exposed to animals.

Julia
24-Sep-08, 22:45

Pitbull/X 153
Gsd/X 86
Rotties/X 43
Staffies/X 21
Yorkie/X 14
Collie/X 11
Lab/X 8
Unknown breeds? 16

Any dog is OK with a family IF it is treated as a DOG and given its basic needs and leadership from day 1. I brought up my Kids around Rotties and Gsds never had a problem, a dog is a dog it is NOT a person or dont get one at all.

I got the info from this website (http://www.pintopotts.co.uk/claims/top-10-dangerous-dogs/) it's information is based on attacks reported in the UK in 2006.

I completely agree that it's not the dog to blame but the owners when dogs are out of control, however many dogs have characteristics typical to their breed and in my opinion taking a dog with any kind of bad reputation into a family environment with children is just asking for trouble.

purplelady
24-Sep-08, 22:52
my son has ashma and i have two collies and he is ok with them on worse with them around or not have to say do not rid of all carpets have lamenet now and that seems to help him

Fran
25-Sep-08, 02:46
I would recommend a whippet or greyhound. i had these dogs when my children were little. they were gentle dogs and loving to the children and do not shed hair. Also you can get a spray or wipes to run over dogs coats for asthma/allergy sufferers.

porshiepoo
25-Sep-08, 08:38

Hmmmmmm, and I get the impression that you were just lurking and waiting for such a response!

I am not condemning Staffies, I love the breed and as I have already said I used to own one. Breeds we distinguish because breeds are what we have created. It is us that has developed breeds to fight in pits, guard livestock, work as attack dogs etc etc. They are still canines, with canine instincts but we have abused certain traits and developed breeds, don't be ignorant to that fact!
What I am saying is that without knowing the experience, time and abilities of the initial poster and his/her family then I certainly would not recommend the breed, and IMO it would be irresponsible to do so.
The fact remains that a breeds type should be a concern when choosing a dog, especially for the first time buyer. This can help prevent disastrous experiences and homeless animals and IMO is responsible dog ownership.
Yes, a Yorkie can be a monster in the wrong hands as can any breed, however there are some breeds that are specifically bred with guarding, gladiatorial, fighting or aggressive purposes and it is those breeds that posses a greater risk of 'turning' if their needs are not met, pack leadership isn't as strong as it should be and/or the owners do not understand the breed. Some breeds (not dogs) are simply not as forgiving as others.
So please climb down from your soapbox, staffies are lovely dogs, make great pets in the right hands but it is my opinion only that they should not be a first time dog if the family has little or no previous experience of this type of breed.
Take a look at the 2008 figures for dog attacks and take a look at the type of breed there. At least 50% are working / guarding type breeds.

floyed
25-Sep-08, 09:28
Ok so i will probably get jumped on for this one, but for the needs you have mentioned the only breed that springs to mind is the staffy. Yes i know they have that fearsome reputation, but as with all dogs its the owners that make them bad. Any dog big or small can turn at any point so breed differences dont make a difference.
We have a staffy and he is 11 mths old.Tank.
As you probably may have heard i have a few kids many being under 6 and i can honestly say that the staffy, known by the kennel club and many other dog organizations as the NANNY dog, for one good reason, they are excellent with children. They are neither too big and they dont shed hair. They are very loyal and love to be around people, especially children.
As with all dogs you really need to get one as a pup, 9 - 12 week and make sure you train it.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/breeds/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier

Heres a couple of links for you to read , with lotsof info about the breed.I had laways in the passed refused to entertain a staffy because of the reputation, but to be honest now that i have one and have seen what they are like, i would recommend them to anyone, but you must have a pack leader attitude.I am a fan of Ceaser Milan, The Dog Whisperer..I learnt alot about dog behaviour and it has helped me keep my dogs in check.But thats just my recommendation. Good luck in your search for a pup and i hope when you find one that you have many years of fun and friendship with it.

Thanks for your advice and links i will be looking into this:D

floyed
25-Sep-08, 09:33
Dogs that don't moult include Yorkies (may be a tint bit of shedding but you don't notice), poodles, Bichon Frise, Shih Tzu, mexican hairless, mini Schnauzer.
Although I say don't moult, some owners have found that they may moult a little.
I have a yorkie and a Shih Tzu and neither moult.

Personally I would say that your experience with dogs has to be taken into consideration when choosing the breed.
Yes, it is the owners that produce Agressive dogs but there are gladitorial type breeds that need firmer handling to prevent this part of their inbred nature coming out.

I have owned a Staffy and I would not recommend this breed unless you and your family are confident in your leadership abilities. We aquired this particular dog as he had killed a Poodle and was on death row, he had immense problems with agression which we did manage to iron out. However, although they're a smallish breed they have immense power and channeled wrong it's dangerous.

I have been told many times by many owners that Bull Terriers are fantastic, loyal family pets, however they are still a gladitorial type breed and are very intelligent and personally I don't think they're right for first time owners. (My opinion only)

Just so you know: Staffy's are a separate breed to Bull Terriers.

I think it also depends on what exercise and family time you will have to spend with the dog. These are all the boring bits but if you are honest about your time, abilities and experience then you stand a much better chance of getting it right the first time.

Maybe you could post those bits of info on here and see what people come up with??

Good Luck searching.:)

Well it will be mainly me that is looking after the dog as partner works away. I work part time so will have plenty of time with the dog for exercise training ect. I had a dog when i was growing up but have never owned one myself. Thanks for your advice:D

floyed
25-Sep-08, 09:47
We have a miniature poodle, he does not cast at all which is what I wanted as my son has allergies and my daughter has asthma. He also has a great temperament and a good breed for kids.

As porshiepoo stated dogs that don't cast or cast little are Yorkies, Poodles, Bichon Frise, Shih Tzu, Mexican Hairless, Mini Schnauzer.

Without getting jumped on I certainly would not recommend Staffordshire Bull Terriers for families with children (or similar head strong dangerous breeds such as Rottweilers, Dobermans, Chow Chows, Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes and German Shepherds), it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

In 2006 the Top 10 Dangerous dogs, based on the overall number of reported attacks in the UK

Staffordshire Terrier - 279
Cattle Dog - 208
Rottweiler - 173
German Shepherd - 166
Pit Bull - 133
Kelpie - 100
Bullmastiff - 90
Labrador - 83
Bull Terrier - 74
Terrier - 66

You can't argue fact!

Thanks for the advice i will have to do a lot of thinking. My child safety comes first so maybe would steer clear of these dogs:D

binbob
25-Sep-08, 10:53
Sorry to hear that you have asthma. I have allergies as well and it isn't very nice.
Like you though I would keep my pets even if I was allergic to them as they enrich my life in so many ways that life would be awful without them.

I can't groom my cats (good excuse!)as this sets off my asthma and allergies but I do agree that you build up an immunity the more you are exposed to animals.

thanks ,liz and i also am sorry u have asthma.not good.
however we seem to agree on the fact that our animals enrich our lives so much.i could not be without my 4 beasties.
i had a vet once who was very allergic to rabbits..it was so funny to see folk walk into his consulting room ...then see him run out!!poor man.
nowadays u see SO many ads. in papers..parting with pets ,due to allergy.
take care..

unicorn
25-Sep-08, 11:13
It may be a good idea also once you decide on a breed to see if anyone here has that particular breed and take your family along to spend some time with the dog and see if it affects your childs asthma before taking the plunge and getting a dog which you may then have to part with.

GruesomeTwosome
25-Sep-08, 12:50
Some fantastic advice and facts from Porshipoo, totally agree. IMO and experience of the breed staffies are fantastic dogs and of the ones I know are fantastic with children but these dogs needs are met and with knowledgable owners, not sure how a first time owner with a child on their own would cope. I own dogs related to the bull type and can second the fact that they can be dominant and require experienced hands. My two are fantastic with kids and all that they come into contact with but I meet all their needs and have trained them but at the same time my dogs would never be left alone with children and in most attacks this is the case where dogs needs are not met, in inexperienced hands and children left alone with them. These attacks are due to human error in whatever manner.

Apologies if I seem to be on a soapbox but I will defend my rotties, I and all the hundreds more responsible rottie owners (and all the other breeds with similar stereotype attached) out there. I would like people who comment on such breeds to have adequite knowledge and experience of the breed first. Any breed makes a fantastic pet in the right hands/home/family.

In the end it is all about doing your research, homework and ask ask ask before getting a dog. There are so many places/people who can help in finding the right dog for you and who can continue to offer advice once you get one. Good luck and I hope you find the right dog for you and your family, once you do you will have so many years of fun together.

liz19
25-Sep-08, 22:54
Some fantastic advice and facts from Porshipoo, totally agree. IMO and experience of the breed staffies are fantastic dogs and of the ones I know are fantastic with children but these dogs needs are met and with knowledgable owners, not sure how a first time owner with a child on their own would cope. I own dogs related to the bull type and can second the fact that they can be dominant and require experienced hands. My two are fantastic with kids and all that they come into contact with but I meet all their needs and have trained them but at the same time my dogs would never be left alone with children and in most attacks this is the case where dogs needs are not met, in inexperienced hands and children left alone with them. These attacks are due to human error in whatever manner.

Apologies if I seem to be on a soapbox but I will defend my rotties, I and all the hundreds more responsible rottie owners (and all the other breeds with similar stereotype attached) out there. I would like people who comment on such breeds to have adequite knowledge and experience of the breed first. Any breed makes a fantastic pet in the right hands/home/family.

In the end it is all about doing your research, homework and ask ask ask before getting a dog. There are so many places/people who can help in finding the right dog for you and who can continue to offer advice once you get one. Good luck and I hope you find the right dog for you and your family, once you do you will have so many years of fun together.

What's the saying "don't discuss what u don't know and haven't done ur homework on?" something like that anyway - was at vets the other day and was talking to a couple who had to take their dog to the vet after being bitten by a lab!? couldn't believe it since i've been brought up to believe they are very child friendly, family dogs...I myself have a red staffy and he is great we did our research and also met others before agreeing to home him. I agree with everyone who has said it is responsible owners that dogs need not people who mistreat or neglect these breeds and create the bad image these dogs have....I couldn't tell you the amount of times we've taken him a walk and other dog owners have not leaded their dog when they see another dog coming - we always do as although we know our dog we don't know the others and i personally feel it's the responsible thing to do :)

GruesomeTwosome
26-Sep-08, 12:33
Your staffy sounds lovely, my best friend has one and absolutely love her, great with everyone and her wee boy. Fantastic dogs, dont think I have ever seen a red one though, picture??

Also, great idea unicorn, i'm sure there would be owners of the dog you choose to get on here who would be more than happy to let you meet and get a better idea then.

liz19
29-Sep-08, 09:20
He really is a great dog will try to upload pic - it worked thankfully - hope u like the pick gruesometwosome

justine
29-Sep-08, 10:11
What's the saying "don't discuss what u don't know and haven't done ur homework on?" something like that anyway - was at vets the other day and was talking to a couple who had to take their dog to the vet after being bitten by a lab!? couldn't believe it since i've been brought up to believe they are very child friendly, family dogs...I myself have a red staffy and he is great we did our research and also met others before agreeing to home him. I agree with everyone who has said it is responsible owners that dogs need not people who mistreat or neglect these breeds and create the bad image these dogs have....I couldn't tell you the amount of times we've taken him a walk and other dog owners have not leaded their dog when they see another dog coming - we always do as although we know our dog we don't know the others and i personally feel it's the responsible thing to do :)

I took tank out when he was only a 6 mth old pup. an old man walking his dog started to come over to say hi to him, asked what breed he was, and when i replied staffy, he started to shout "get that dog away from mine", stunned to say the least, Tank was standing there wagging his tail with that play with me look on his face.
I see many cross over when they see him now,hes three times as big and still as lovely. He has had his training and makes a wonderful pet.The only problem i have found with him, is his constant love of being around my ankles, 24/7.I move from one chair to another and he follows. But then hes ma pup and love him to bits. Great with the kids and non agressive to other dogs.

liz19
29-Sep-08, 13:18
:lol: ours does exactly the same I can't even go to the toilet without him he just lies outside or inside the door until i am ready to leave - a woman actually avoided me and our pup the other day on the victoria walk I spoke to her in a friendly way she then asked if my pup was a bull staffy type (LOL) when I said yes she said she wasn't keen on them and sounded genuinely surprised when I said ours was a soft lump - she had seen one kill another dog which at least was a good reason to be wary on speaking I let her know that not all of these dogs that have bad reps deserve them and that it's all with the responsibility of the owners ---- I hope my staffy pup left a good impression on her she certainly seemed more at ease when she continued her walk :D
I took tank out when he was only a 6 mth old pup. an old man walking his dog started to come over to say hi to him, asked what breed he was, and when i replied staffy, he started to shout "get that dog away from mine", stunned to say the least, Tank was standing there wagging his tail with that play with me look on his face.
I see many cross over when they see him now,hes three times as big and still as lovely. He has had his training and makes a wonderful pet.The only problem i have found with him, is his constant love of being around my ankles, 24/7.I move from one chair to another and he follows. But then hes ma pup and love him to bits. Great with the kids and non agressive to other dogs.

justine
29-Sep-08, 14:05
Been there with him. First he would barge through the door and sit at ma feet, now i have him where he will sit patiently outside(lining up with the kids:eek:) without budging.but if he thinks im being too long he has a habit of sticking his nose around the door, just enough to make sure im ok.

Many many people worry about staffies or bull terrier types, but they are no worse or better than any other dog.As i have stated before dogs are a species, then a breed..The only difference for bull terriers are they wont back down, but like any dog they wont start a fight unless they are aggressive due to owners fault..

I will have to try and get some good pics of him in his best place, stood outside with his head sticking through the cat flap.Rough tough staffie he is.:confused:confused

Roughshooter
03-Oct-08, 18:22
AT last people who treat a dog as a dog and do their breed homework before taking one on.

I would like to thank all you Staffie and Rottie owners who have during this thread stood up for your breed, you are a credit to your dog and no doubt your dogs are a credit to you. Proof if it was needed that a dog treated as a dog can whatever breed it is live a happy life with humans.

I take my hat off to each and everyone of you, and that from Roughshooter is praise indeed.

over-the-ord
04-Oct-08, 09:26
i had a allergy test and the thing that came out on top was dogs! i said to the doctor i know but long haired dogs dont affect me, thats why i have a Shih -tzu he told me dogs are dogs and that i should consider getting rid of my dog!![disgust] no way she's a part of the family,

shih-tzu are great nature they are a loyal pet i have owned 2, and both get with kids, my one thinks she's a baby like to travel in a carseat and go walks in a pushchair! and she sleeps with us and doesnt make my asthma worse.:Razz

farmer
04-Oct-08, 11:11
I'd go for a Jack Russell. I know they sometimes get a bad press, but I've grown up with them - always had one when i lived with my parents, and now have one of my own - and thier great wee dogs. Full of character, loyal, funny and hardy wee things - not like some other smaller dogs that i think often look somewhat 'fragile'. As long as their disiplined and taught right from wrong as a pup (like any dog), they make fantastic pets.
None of the 5 i have had have ever been viscious or have ever bitten anyone, and I'd trust my current jack russell with any child. (My Friends 3 year old lad was visiting the other day and spent all day pulling my dogs ears, which didn't even raise a growl!!)
As for hair loss and asthma, i know a lot of asthmatics who have jack russells and have no problems. They do moult a couple of tiems a year, but as the hair is so short (well, in the short haired variety anyway!!) its not too noticeable, and just needs a quick hoover.
If i could get off with it, i'd have another one tomorrow!!

Margaret M.
04-Oct-08, 15:28
Most of the dogs that do not shed will need to be groomed so don't forget to factor in that time and/or cost to your decision if you fancy a poodle, shih-tzu, etc. I have a couple of shih-tzus and they never shed. I keep their hair cut short (puppy cut) since I don't care for the look of a long haired shih-tzu, not to mention the upkeep. I have them groomed once every six weeks. Great wee doggies though -- very playful and quite sturdy.

young_fishin_neep
06-Oct-08, 00:03
well i would agree a staffy

i live in a small place and needed a small dog that doesnt shed much as i hate hair everywere i also regularly have a todler in my house and i would have loved to get a staffy... after trying to geta hold of one for so long i decided to take a trip out to balmore there wernt really any suitable for me but after a few days i got a text froma firend asking me if i wanted one of thier dogs... she is a lovely collie x lab... she is so energetic... me and my friend had her for a night to see how she was with the todler and she was great... so i decided i would be getting her... i get her tomorow and im really looking forward to it... i think and hope i made the right decision... if i couldnt have taken her for a night i dont think i would have been so at ease taking her as i realy like to know what a dog is like in situations... make sure you think long and hard bout whats best for you.

kazzii xxx

jac1791
06-Oct-08, 07:44
I would go or a Dalmation or boxer,
I had a Dalmation for 12 years and when my daughter was small and at the biting stage the dog didnt get missed out- she bite him a few times, but I knew i could completely trust him with her, now I'm on my 2nd round of boxers - got 2 - 1 year olds, my grand daughter (2) is sometimes not so nice to them but they are so gentle she lies between them on the floor and falls asleep... i would definately recogmend these breeds

you are more than welcome to come see my 2 if you are interested in this bread

GruesomeTwosome
06-Oct-08, 12:46
He really is a great dog will try to upload pic - it worked thankfully - hope u like the pick gruesometwosome

Absoulutely love the pic, what a cutie awwwwww!!!! I want one but my very wise OH says we have no room wi the two monsters we have now. Thanks for the pic.

liz19
06-Oct-08, 15:36
ur OH is wise they are hard enough work without having a pup to contend with as well [lol]

Absoulutely love the pic, what a cutie awwwwww!!!! I want one but my very wise OH says we have no room wi the two monsters we have now. Thanks for the pic.

ciggietime
06-Oct-08, 21:59
Have scanned through the above posts as I have the flu and my poor brain can only take in so much info.

However, I remember years ago seeing a website which stated that certain dogs give off a thingymajig which causes reactions in peeps with the usual allergies (those being asthma, hay fever, etc.). I do recall that the breed of dog that was least likely to trigger an asthmatic/allergic reaction was the STANDARD POODLE.

However, a few cautious words from that mad woman down sarf in England (soon to move to Caithness) who currently has 2 Sharp Pei (and Mick from Dog Borstal can get stuffed) but has previously had a German Shepherd (excellent dog) and an extremely bolshy rescued Rottweiler (both RIP).

Now in case Mick from Dog Borstal happens to read this, Shar Pei are not originally fighting dogs. They are, in fact, hunting dogs. That said, the Chinese (apart from eating them) did drug and give them alcohol to make them fight. I only mention this as an example as to how even so-called experts can make errors concerning the traits of a particular breed. The amount of people who coo and go aww at the sight of me Shar Pei (both of them - no plural of Shar Pei) without realising that they are more stubborn than my rottweiler ever was!

Poodles are highly intelligent dogs and thus need suitable training to boot. However, bearing in mind the website re dogs and allergies, I would, if you had the space and somewhere to get training (you, not the dog), go for a poodle.

Much as though I am not one for slagging off any breed of dog, given the bad press for rotties and GSDs everywhere, may I please nominate that every single rug rat (aka chuanua or however you spell it) be strangled at birth - you are far more likely to be bitten by one of those likkle gits than any other dog!

Byeeeeeee

'Housework doesn't kill but why take the risk'

GruesomeTwosome
08-Oct-08, 12:59
ur OH is wise they are hard enough work without having a pup to contend with as well [lol]

Wont stop me trying though! :lol::lol:

GruesomeTwosome
08-Oct-08, 13:01
[quote=ciggietime;442683]The amount of people who coo and go aww at the sight of me Shar Pei (both of them - no plural of Shar Pei) without realising that they are more stubborn than my rottweiler ever was!

I dont believe that! Once my big cheil stops, he requires a firework up him back end to get him to move again! :lol::lol: