PDA

View Full Version : Honesty pays?

highlander
24-Sep-08, 10:27
I was brought up being told honestly pays, but this cant be true, after hearing on the news that 30 million (im sure it said that) counterfeit £1 coins are in circulation and if i got one in my change and i took it to the bank, i would be told tough! you will not be getting anything for it. So here is the delemma, do i pass it on in a shop etc etc, but in the end someone is going to be out of pocket. When i worked in a shop a few years back it was surprising how many people did try to get rid of thier old 50pence coins when paying for thier shopping and another time when i was going around with a collecting tin in aid of cancer, i was shocked at the amount of foreign coins put in the tin, so what is the answer?

Melancholy Man
24-Sep-08, 10:32
Foreign coins can, at least, be exchanged, and withdrawn fivers or teners still can be, so I assume this extends to 50p pieces.

Fake pound coins? Tough! I happily refuse to accept them in the first place. Maybe Isaac Newton had the right idea about counterfeiters.

hotrod4
24-Sep-08, 10:42
Maybe the banks/treasury should honour them that way it takes them out of circulation but on the other hand if the counterfeiters know that they can be exchanged they will keep on making them, its a no-win situation :(.
I suppose it would be ok if you "forgot" you had one and passed it on! ;)

highlander
24-Sep-08, 10:42
Before this was highlighed on the news i never gave it a thought if the coins were dodgie, yes the answer would be dont accept them in the first place but i think there would be a riot in shops if everyone stood and scrutanised them.

Melancholy Man
24-Sep-08, 10:49
Many of the fakes are tarnished and have poorly defined features (especially the inscription on the edges, which are more difficult to strike). Plus, most of them can be bent in your teeth.

hell raizer
24-Sep-08, 10:54
fake pound coins have been on the go for years i've got 2 that i got passed on to me, the ones i've got you can press your nail into them and it will leave a mark on them as the metal in them is softer :(

highlander
24-Sep-08, 11:05
Right i just had a brain storm lol can they not be recycled, not very clued up about the metals that is in them, then could they not be given away in special collecting tins and charities to benefit?

Melancholy Man
24-Sep-08, 11:10
Coppers from before c. 1997 actually have a high copper content and are worth two or three times that of their denominational value.

highlander
24-Sep-08, 11:25
So Melancholy man if they were melted down for the copper, someone would be able to make a "mint" lol (ok im going before i get worse) lol

AfternoonDelight
24-Sep-08, 11:28
:eyes

Oh dear... [lol]

DeHaviLand
24-Sep-08, 11:35
So Melancholy man if they were melted down for the copper, someone would be able to make a "mint" lol (ok im going before i get worse) lol

Theoretically yes, but you are committing an offence by destroying a coin of the realm. So you go directly to jail, and dont get to collect your £200.

balto
24-Sep-08, 12:38
not sure about this one really, as i they are to passed back into the shops then as they are of no use to them whatsoever, there for the shops would be down in takings, there for in the end would they not be forced to put their prices up to cover loses like this. most likely would be better checking your change in the shop to check for fakes and if you have any take it up with the assistant.

Thumper
24-Sep-08, 12:40
Not much use if you have a few but if you got a fake coin keep it and use it for your shopping trolley,people are always looking for a pound for them x

rockchick
24-Sep-08, 13:07
As soon as you know that a coin is counterfeit, it is illegal to pass it on. However, it is not illegal to pass on a counterfeit coin if you are not aware that it's fake. An interesting loophole, with ignorance as a defence!

DeHaviLand
24-Sep-08, 13:25
As soon as you know that a coin is counterfeit, it is illegal to pass it on. However, it is not illegal to pass on a counterfeit coin if you are not aware that it's fake. An interesting loophole, with ignorance as a defence!

Now thats gonna suit a few Orgers that I know!:lol:

trix
24-Sep-08, 14:36

mmh...it sounds lek somethin 'e goverment would come up wi'

wifie
24-Sep-08, 15:21
Maybe the banks/treasury should honour them that way it takes them out of circulation but on the other hand if the counterfeiters know that they can be exchanged they will keep on making them, its a no-win situation :(.
I suppose it would be ok if you "forgot" you had one and passed it on! ;)
Hotrod did you think about this post before you made it? Will you be poppin in to yer local bank branch with yer monopoly money on the off chance? [lol]