PDA

View Full Version : Hit by a bike

Ash
24-Sep-08, 08:02
yesterday at about 12.15 my little girl was hit very badly by a bike on the ellen footbridge... the person who did this did not apologise and became quite abusive when i was understanably upset.... anyone who was on the bridge at this time can you please pm me

this bridge is not allowed people to cycle on it
there is a sign!!![evil]

we were watching our dog in the water when our daughter stepped back slightly then she got hit by the bike andthen before we knew it was on the other side of it, she is bruised badly and very badly shaken up, even had tyre marks on her arms ......

emszxr
24-Sep-08, 08:35
thats terrible, hope she better soon and you find the idiot.

Melancholy Man
24-Sep-08, 09:53
Report him to the Police. Presumably you have a description.

Ash
24-Sep-08, 10:00
Report him to the Police. Presumably you have a description.

i have done this
we are just trying to get witnesses

Melancholy Man
24-Sep-08, 10:06
i have done this
we are just trying to get witnesses

Alas, I wasn't on the bridge. Is it or the approach covered by CCTV?

balto
24-Sep-08, 10:08
that is terriable, the way i have seen some people ride along the bridge on their bikes is a disgrace, after all they are ment to get of them and just walk along the bridge. hope she is feeling better soon.

Ash
24-Sep-08, 10:09
Alas, I wasn't on the bridge. Is it or the approach covered by CCTV?

there isnt cctv
just a case of seeing if anyone saw anything

she is still shaken up
she was hurt quite bad

floyed
24-Sep-08, 10:10
Hope that she is feeling better soon and you catch the person responsable. Its a terrible thing to happen especially when the person on the bike didn't even say sorry:(

Melancholy Man
24-Sep-08, 10:11
What was the description?

Ash
24-Sep-08, 10:13
i dont know if i should post this here
im just asking if anyone saw a couple on there bikes on the ellen footbridge yesterday and saw what happened to PM me

Melancholy Man
24-Sep-08, 10:17
Unless you were to give a name or photograph but still to general details, I see little problem, but I understand your reticence. After all, the newspapers or radio/telly do it all the time! The Police would be able to spot a bogus witness a mile off.

honey
24-Sep-08, 10:18
that terrble, i hope your wee one is alright Ash!

teenybash
24-Sep-08, 11:32
Hope your little one is alright.....:eek:

balto
24-Sep-08, 12:45
can people not read the signs that are on the bridge about no cycling on it, if they did read it then this poor child wouldnt be hurt like this, total ignorance on these peoples part. hope they read this and are mayby feeling a bit guilty, and so they should shame on them. one word for them IDIOTS.............

anneoctober
24-Sep-08, 13:14
can people not read the signs that are on the bridge about no cycling on it, if they did read it then this poor child wouldnt be hurt like this, total ignorance on these peoples part. hope they read this and are mayby feeling a bit guilty, and so they should shame on them. one word for them IDIOTS.............
unfortunately, Balto IF the person responsible IS reading this, then he/she is probably laughing their socks off . We're living in a world where no one cares any more, kids get hurt or go missing and it's old news. Where is our community spirit and genuine care for those around us? [evil]

Ash
24-Sep-08, 13:22
unfortunately, Balto IF the person responsible IS reading this, then he/she is probably laughing their socks off . We're living in a world where no one cares any more, kids get hurt or go missing and it's old news. Where is our community spirit and genuine care for those around us? [evil]

sadfully you are right.... if i had done this to a small child or any child for that matter, i would still be worrying about that child and i would have apologised numerous of times
we live in a sad world

balto
24-Sep-08, 15:42
aye how true you are, it is a disgrace that things can happen where someone is hurt and people just walk away, sad sad world we live in.

Liz
24-Sep-08, 22:49
Oh Ash I am so sorry that your wee girl was hurt by this idiot on a bike.:(

I hope she makes a quick recovery and that you find the person responsible.

armanisgirl
24-Sep-08, 23:03

If the person responsible IS reading this, and has any sense of decency they would Pm, but that is very unlikely, as this person is obviously a coward. S/he did not stop to apologise - complete ignorance and uncaring attitude, particularly towards a child. S/he shouted at the child's mother - I wonder how s/he would react if it had been THEIR child who had just been mown down by a lunatic on a bicycle? A decent human being would not act like this, and would not scarper off like the coward s/he is. The police may not have been involved if s/he had been a decent person and admitted their faults.

But, people do care Anne. Mabe not worldwide, and maybe not about regional news and incidences, but the reactions of those on the org, proves there is compassion and community spirit around us - it doesn't know if we know the little girl and her family, we all have the same feelings of concern and anger about what has happened. The org IS a community, and there is a lot of spirit on here (good and bad lol), and most of society do care about things like this. It is only the minority who don't care or would poke fun at something like this. The comments posted so far have relayed feelings of concern and sympathy for mum and daughter, frustration and anger at the mindless idiots cycling on a footbridge, and genuine hope the person(s) responsible are caught.

I do hope the little girl (and her mum too!) are feeling better, and won't let this bullyying behaviour put them off going for walks. It must have been very distressing for you both. Don't let these thugs get you down! xx

dancingtaz13
24-Sep-08, 23:26
Ash,

where is the Ellen Footbridge?

brew
25-Sep-08, 01:52
It is the foot bridge crossing from o'Brians to the lorry/car park by Riverside Replicas in thurso.

balto
25-Sep-08, 11:39
It is the foot bridge crossing from o'Brians to the lorry/car park by Riverside Replicas in thurso.
aye thats where it happened, some people obviously cant read signs.

Max
25-Sep-08, 15:24
Was the bike rider an adult or child?

Ash
25-Sep-08, 15:35
it was an adult
female

dancingtaz13
25-Sep-08, 17:05
Ooops - i always cycle over that when i'm out with dog and have never seen a sign! :~( I only do it though if no one else is on it, otherwise i come off bike and walk.
Even when i'm out walking a few people pass me on bikes too on that one.

Ash
25-Sep-08, 17:52
there is a sign

balto
25-Sep-08, 18:14
there is a signaye there is one either side of the bridge, but the way some of them go across on the bridge doubt they would even notice as half of them are going way to fast.

percy toboggan
25-Sep-08, 18:43
I hope this ignoramus gets his come uppance.

On stepping out from my newsagents this very morning...Daily Mail in hand, I was almost in collision with a cyclist.

It seems he was Polish, but he probably understood my verbal response...at least he kept going and didn't stop to argue. I shall keep a wary eye out in future. It got my day of to an inauspicious start.

I hope your daughter is soon recovered. Pavement riding is a menace...unless they ride very slowly...even then it's against the law and there be a policy of zero tolerance.

anneoctober
25-Sep-08, 18:43
Hi to armanisgirl ! I don't often log in , so failed to see your reply ! Being a "mature" lady, I can remember when the thoughtless person would not have dared to disregard signs, far less be so rude as to knock a wee bairn over or indeed be rude to Ash. I'm sorry to have to disagree, but the majority of folks nowadays care for no one but themselves. We do agree on one thing though - Orgers are brill !! Anne xx

Ash
15-Oct-08, 07:53
I'm happy to report that a new sign has gone up in the middle of bridge, but they are hopefully gonna put newer ones on either side as one from my side is tiny and vandalised

ett23
15-Oct-08, 19:32
That's good news Ash, at least something is being done about it.:) Did you manage to find out who the 'hit and run' cyclist was and report her to the police?

Ash
15-Oct-08, 19:49
That's good news Ash, at least something is being done about it.:) Did you manage to find out who the 'hit and run' cyclist was and report her to the police?

no sadly we havent heard about who did, doubt we will... wee one was scared of bikes but she seems ok now

cuddlepop
15-Oct-08, 20:32
Ash I do hope your daughter gets over her nasty fright and shame on the adult for not stopping to even see if she was alright.:(

balto
15-Oct-08, 20:37
saw the new sign today when we were going down the st, lets hope people take notice of it.