PDA

View Full Version : It gets me so mad!!!!!

linzy222
07-Jul-03, 17:33
Why is it that you can't get a job unless you are working somewhere??

What about unemployed people looking for work they can't get a job because they aren't working it is so stupid, how are people suppose to get experience for a job when no-one will employ them to get the experience!!

[mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad]

Anonymous
07-Jul-03, 17:49
Linzi222,
I am not trying to be facetious, (shortest word in the English language with the vowels in the correct order for you pa/eddy watchers), but why not try and set up an employment club or such like. I cannot offer you any advise but how did Pertemps start.
I do not know but I wish you well.
Paddy.
Ps Subcontinental is the shortest word with them in reverse orderbefore anyone asks.

golach
07-Jul-03, 19:56
Paddy,
I am IMPRESSED
Golach

Partan
07-Jul-03, 20:05
Paddy,
I am IMPRESSED
Golach

There is at least one other word which has all the vowels, once only, in the right order but from what I've heard, Golach, you are unlikely to recognise it! :D

ABSTEMIOUS :evil

Partan

golach
07-Jul-03, 20:12
Partan,
I have never in all my aged career ever been "Abstemious" quite the opposite in fact
Golach

2little2late
07-Jul-03, 23:18

What about unemployed people looking for work they can't get a job because they aren't working it is so stupid, how are people suppose to get experience for a job when no-one will employ them to get the experience!!

I agree with you 100% I haven't had a decent job in five and a half years. Caithness must be the worst place in the country for employment. Trouble is up here, it's not what you know, it's who you know. Also, after applying for a job they don't get back in touch with you. I remember about five years ago applying for a handymans vacancy at a certain hotel in Caithness. Next time I went to sign I was asked what I had done to find a job. I replied that I would recontact the employer about the job I had applied for and was told by the member of staff not to bother because the certain person does not like to be pestered. I ask you, what kind of help is that!!!!? Personally, we're better off looking further afield.

dpw39
08-Jul-03, 00:19
Being a self dignosed Dysfunctional Senile Delinquent, was it Maslov's theory or was it that other geezer, Mc something. A & b man?

Being up here for the past 9 years, I've applied for several jobs, without sucess, eventually turned to work in the voluntary sector. One it stops the old grey matter from solidifying, but secondly, you do manage to come accross some nice people in the process of doing so, as well as doing something worthwhile for the benefit of the community, which at times, seems to be slightly lacking, (or is it not to my expectations?)

Like the vowel bit, though, keep up the good work.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave
aka
Paranoid Pete.
Thurso.

2little2late
08-Jul-03, 13:58
It's a permanent job I want where I can earn a decent wage to bring up my three children. Voluntary work isn't actually the answer to the problem. The problem is finding a proper job.

linzy222
08-Jul-03, 16:14
Trouble is up here, it's not what you know, it's who you know. Also, after applying for a job they don't get back in touch with you.

That is exactly what i mean!!

My daughter applied for 6 jobs in 1 week and never heard a word from any of them!!

She is 17 yrs old living on her own she couldn't hardly get any money off the dole because legally she was still a child but in the end she got a hardship allowance which only runs for 6weeks THEN WHAT??

She is applying for jobs all the time and never hearing a word!!

A lot of you will be thinking she should move back home but she doesn't want that!!
I know its hard when you are young just setting up your 1st home coz i did it when i was 17 and i know how hard it is but she really is trying real hard but getting nowhere with a job at all!

Gizmo
08-Jul-03, 17:33
It might be that your daughter is just being a bit fussy, it's not difficult for a 17 year old to get a job if they want one, i know it's a hell-hole to work in but Norfrost is always looking for cheap labour, and they will employ just about anyone.

Giz

Geo
08-Jul-03, 21:28
It might be that your daughter is just being a bit fussy, it's not difficult for a 17 year old to get a job if they want one, i know it's a hell-hole to work in but Norfrost is always looking for cheap labour, and they will employ just about anyone.

Giz

but Linzy says her daughter is applying for loads of jobs and not getting any work back from the employers. She's not getting the chance to be fussy!

Sadly this doesn't seem to be uncommon among employers here and I have experienced it myself.

2little2late
08-Jul-03, 21:40
It is the employers perogative to let an applicant know if they have been unsuccessful. There is nothing more soul destroying than waiting to hear about a job and not being told you have been unsuccessful. Employment agencies should come down hard on employers who fail to let applicants know they have not been offered the job they applied for. They should be banned from advertising job vacancies. It is just an uncaring society.

Geo
08-Jul-03, 21:51
My daughter applied for 6 jobs in 1 week and never heard a word from any of them!!

She is 17 yrs old living on her own she couldn't hardly get any money off the dole because legally she was still a child but in the end she got a hardship allowance which only runs for 6weeks THEN WHAT??

She is applying for jobs all the time and never hearing a word!!

Sorry to hear that Linzy. Sadly it's not uncommon.

Something your daughter could try is to write to the employer and ask why her application was not successful. She can say she wants to give herself the best chance of getting work and would like to know for future reference "what went wrong," explaining it's so she can "fix" it for future applications. Likewise if she gets an interview but not the job, she should write and ask was there anything in the interview that went against her, again stating that it is so she can improve her chances in the future. There's a slim chance such an approach may actually help get employment with the firm who she was initially unsuccesful with but if not it will at least help her with interview technique etc.

Hope that helps.

linzy222
08-Jul-03, 22:09
Thanx Geo for the advise i will tell her to do that it!!

Neil
09-Jul-03, 07:32
Sadly, with certain employers it's the same in Orkney. You just have to look at our Orcadian on a Thursday and you can see jobs asking for experience that many locals do not have so recruitment outside Orkney is necessary. You tend to find that the people who put in the adverts are not local themselves, then all of a sudden a previous colleague appears up here from wherever. Maybe I am just a cynic and it's all coincidence.

I heard our local jobcentre had not placed a job in the council for 15 years, don't know if it is true or not but if it is, it confirms the "who you know" syndrome.

At the same time I know of a family where husband, wife, mother and father are all employed by the council because the wife has a senior post there. Other people I know have tried for years and cannot get interviews yet the mother and father only recently moved to Orkney. Coincidence? Maybe!

I remember applying for a post about 6 years ago where the criteria looked for someone aged between 26-40 with minimum of 5 years business experience blah blah blah blah.

9 people were asked for interview and had their brains picked for ideas to help this particular business (some of mine were implemented immediately) then they gave the post to a young trainee with no business experience at all from outside Orkney who had no local knowledge.

So the problem is not unique to Caithness.

Best of luck to your daughter, I hope she gets her chance. Incidentally voluntary work may not be ideal but it can be a huge foot through the door. It may not pay but it should never be discounted.

Regards

2little2late
09-Jul-03, 22:06
I heard our local jobcentre had not placed a job in the council for 15 years, don't know if it is true or not but if it is, it confirms the "who you know" syndrome.

Regards

This I can quite believe. I have never seen a job for the council advertised in the job centre. Yet, I have seen some people I know who were out of work, next minute they are working for the council planting flowers etc. An obvious case of who you know.

Also there was a vacancy last year for a secretary within the Highland council in Wick and this was an internal posting. Why not advertise the job anyway?
It's a case of i'll buy you a pint if you give ma a job.

Tristan
10-Jul-03, 15:55

[mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad]

Did your daughter do work experience through school? If so, she may be able to get a reference from that. Volunteer work does not pay in dosh, it's true, but it provides opportunity to learn skills which can be interpreted as experience, and also shows a prospective employer that your daughter is a responsible, level-headed, forward minded 17 year old. These qualities are things that employers will look for in an applicant. Also, it gives her an opportunity to make contacts - after all, if it is "who you know" that enables you to get a job up here, then she better get out there and make some contacts!

She has a lot of competition out there for the entry-level jobs she is trying to get, so she has to put in extra to make herself stand out to prospective employers. Lots of employers would be prejudiced against hiring a teenager, especially for a job with responsibility, so she has to prove to them why they should hire her over someone who has 10 years of age and experience over her.

Does she have any skills to market? Can she type or work a computer? Does she do babysitting? Have a paper route? A saturday-shop post? If she is willing to do anything to earn a living (as long as it's legal and moral!) then with time and experience she will be able to get the jobs she wants.

Good luck!

Tristan

Tristan
10-Jul-03, 16:09

Has your daughter had anyone, perhaps the Citizens Advice Bureau or the Job Centre, look over her CV to see if it is set up correctly? Or, if it is a job application form with no CV attached, is her spelling, grammar and punctuation up to snuff? Clear handwriting? All questions answered clearly?

I recently had the opportunity to sift through applications for an entry-level corporate position, and a good 80% of applications were dismissed because of slovenly applications, words misspelled, etc. which indicated an indifference to the position and difficulty with communications. It was not an absolute barrier, someone with 20 years of experience made the first cut, but it was much more difficult to make the grade.

Hope I don't sound too harsh, but it is the reality of the situation.

Cheers,