PDA

View Full Version : Spaying

arana negra
23-Sep-08, 19:11
We have taken the decision to have our wee Scally done probably next month, have yet to get timing sorted. So I have a few questions for any of you who have been through it so to speak.

1. any experiences to share

2. anything we should do pre op to help her through

3. how long is normal in the vets

4. how long are they on painkillers

5. any hints to help healing

6. any bad after effects

If I think of any others will add them

Thanks

justine
23-Sep-08, 20:30
we got tank done. not a cat but a dog, he went into the vets at 9 am and we picked him up at 2.30, but that was because they needed the kennel, so it may be an hour or two longer.
He was on painkillers for 2 days, and had the stitches removed 10 days later.We were lucky that he never showed any interest in the wound so he never pulled any of them out, so no need for a collar.

They normally are quiet for at least 12 hours, but then some animals will be up on their feet within hours of waking up, depends ont he animal. I am sure that when you speak to the vet he will run through all the things you have asked on here.Good luck and hope little scally does fine..

Dadie
23-Sep-08, 20:46
We got Poppy spayed she was in from 9am until 4pm and was not allowed to have breakfast on the day (I think she wasnt allowed food from about 8pm the night before) she was a bit dopey when we picked her up and was only allowed a light dinner that night. But the only thing we had to watch for was her stitches (no excessive licking and jumping up and swimming for a fortnight)she got them out in a fortnight. You might need a cone to stop her worrying her stitches. She has been fine since but doesnt need as many calories now!

carasmam
23-Sep-08, 22:47
Cara was the same as Dadies dog. We lifted her in and out of the car for a few days instead of jumping but apart from that you would never know she'd just been through surgery :)

teenybash
23-Sep-08, 23:24
Arana Miss Scally will be fine. Just follow vets advice and all will go well. Dogs and cats are amazingly resillient....not like us human lot [lol]

Liz
23-Sep-08, 23:30
I have only ever had dogs neutered and they have all made a really quick recovery.
However, I know it can take a wee while longer for a female as it is a longer op with more anaesthetic. Don't females always have a harder time?!:roll:

I would highly recommend giving her the homeopathic remedy Arnica before surgery and during her recovery as this can really help with pain and bruising and it is fine to give this with pain medication.

You will need to keep her warm whilst she recovers from the anaesthetic and don't be alarmed if she shakes a wee bit after this. My female cat did this and I was quite worried but it was just the anaesthetic wearing off.
Your Vet will give you full after care instructions though but, as Carasmam said, just don't let her jump up on anything for a few days.

The stitches can be a bit of a problem but Aloe Vera can help soothe this.

She will be fine though.:)

arana negra
24-Sep-08, 12:51
Thanks for helpful/supportive replies, thats one of the things I like about this forum :)

Scally is a female dog ( the 'b' word may not be allowed on here)

As we live in Spain and my spanish is pretty basic, certainly does not cover vets doctors etc that is why I asked on here. I have no doubt our vet will give good relevant info BUT I will not understand much of it.... my husband will. I like to be in the loop as they say and also if there is anything not mentioned I want to be able to have my husband ask.

The info given has in the whole confirmed what I had thought and given me a few things I had not realised.

Liz I must look out for Arnica ( is that given in water ) and some Aloe Vera (cream ? ) thanks for that info.

Oh and magnetic collar is ordered and should arrive this week ta

Liz
24-Sep-08, 13:01
Liz I must look out for Arnica ( is that given in water ) and some Aloe Vera (cream ? ) thanks for that info.

You can give it in water or just crush the tablets and put it on a spoon. There is lactose in it which is sweet so dogs usually like the taste.
It must be given away from food ie half an hour before or an hour after.
Also you must not handle the tablets.

Aloe Vera Juice on cotton wool would probably be easier to apply if needed. Also Colloidal Silver is great for healing. It comes as a clear liquid and is a natural antibiotic.
I would never be without it!

arana negra
24-Sep-08, 13:06
You can give it in water or just crush the tablets and put it on a spoon. There is lactose in it which is sweet so dogs usually like the taste.
It must be given away from food ie half an hour before or an hour after.
Also you must not handle the tablets.

Aloe Vera Juice on cotton wool would probably be easier to apply if needed. Also Colloidal Silver is great for healing. It comes as a clear liquid and is a natural antibiotic.
I would never be without it!

Had not thought of AV juice doh lordy am I dopey these days ( must be my age) arghhhhhhhhhhhh good advice Liz thanks again

Liz
24-Sep-08, 13:12
Had not thought of AV juice doh lordy am I dopey these days ( must be my age) arghhhhhhhhhhhh good advice Liz thanks again

Don't worry I know the feeling!lol

I am glad you are getting the magnetic collar and this should help her heal following the surgery as well.

Scally is a lucky dog to be loved so much and looked after so wonderfully!:D