PDA

View Full Version : Temperature difference

kas
08-Jan-06, 23:49
I cant help but notice that Wick seems to be alot warmer than Thurso this last month or so.
Is this the norm?

Tugmistresses weather station is reading -2.9 for Scrabster at the moment, while C.org and XC weather are saying Wick is sitting at 3. Thats 5.9 degrees difference. I live in Scrabster and the car is reading -3.
Its not just been tonight, have noticed this often over the last six weeks. Has this always been the case, I know the Wick side is more prone to Fog.

Some would say I am sad, but I find it Fascinating. Pity I dont understand alot of it.

Gleber2
08-Jan-06, 23:51
Much more hot air comes oota Week than oota Thirsa.

Tugmistress
08-Jan-06, 23:54
Hiya Kas,
yes it is quite common though i don't know the specific reasoning behind it, but altitude can be one factor :)
i am about 72m above sea level. although when i left for work this morning i was reading -3c the harbour felt a tad warmer but still had ice around on the piers (as i nearly fell flat on my backside while hauling the ropes in lol)
other mornings i have been reading a totally different temp to one of my work colleagues who lives in dunnet, sometimes as much as 3c different between us and that is probably only about 8 miles as the crow flies.

it is an interesting question and i shall go ask on a weather forum for an answer as i am intrigued too :)

kas
09-Jan-06, 00:13
Thanks, I dont know what I would do without your weather station. I am a bit lower down than yourself.
I also notice though when you walk along the old road from the coastguard station, then get to the harbour it feels a good bit warmer.

On another note noticed a Peregrine above the harbour yesterday afternoon, chasing the Starlings. Alot of Starlings seem to be roosting up the head somewhere. Then tonight the other half got really close to an Owl on the lighthouse road. Think it may have been a Short-eared. But he is not sure.

pedromcgrory
09-Jan-06, 00:24
its freezing e night need my thermols for bed lol

JAWS
09-Jan-06, 00:27
Wick seems to be a lot more sheltered than elsewhere. May be that's the reason.

Tugmistress
09-Jan-06, 00:35
ok, thinking on my toes here so apologies if there is no rhyme or reason to the order.
things that can various locations that are geographically close to gether such differences in temps are...
cloud cover ( more cloud = warmer than no cloud)
altitude (usually higher = cooler)
wind direction & strength (more for the wind chill factor than actual temps)
proximity to water/sea (not sure but i think it is usually warmer the nearer the sea you are)
trees/buildings (built up areas or forests 'create' heat)

that's all i can think of for now sorry, and still awaiting an answer on the other forum :(

JAWS
09-Jan-06, 01:16
Don't worry, Tugmistress, we promise not to beat you up for having to wait. :)
Being sheltered was only a guess. I'm sure the next time there's a howling gale Weekers will soon correct me.

angela5
09-Jan-06, 15:04
Well its a bit blustery in wick, watch when your out and about driving i just had to dodge a few wheelie bins and christmas trees:eek: .

wicker
09-Jan-06, 15:53
For some reason i notice that my area in pultney beside callum millers was frost free this morning (7am) but then when going round to pick people up from thurso road and by highschool it was white with frost, strange

Gleber2
09-Jan-06, 15:56
As any Thirsa chiel will tell ye, thre's nowhere in e world lek Week.