PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned dog

evelyn
22-Sep-08, 12:36
A friendly white and patchy terrier dog was abandoned outside my house on Saturday night.
He was left tied to my railings. We spotted him about 9pm but he may have been there longer. We were alerted to his presence by his barking at my cat, who was tormenting him from the tree above!!!
We handed him over to the police and when I phoned yesterday no-one had claimed him. He was being transferred to Balmore today. I take it from this that no-one was interested in finding him.
It seems such a shame that he was dumped this way. He was friendly and very obedient on his lead. Maybe someone had their reasons for doing this but surely they could have made sure he was safe.
Hope he finds a nice family who can give him all the love he deserves.
evelyn

teenybash
22-Sep-08, 12:49
What a sad, sad story...poor wee soul. hopefully someone who can give him a home will read your post. If you hear of his progress, please let us know.:eek:

skinnydog
22-Sep-08, 12:56
What a shame. Sounds as if he has been abandoned and tied up so that he didn't follow his owners home.

Anne x
22-Sep-08, 13:04
well whoever abandoned the poor mite I hope they can sleep at night please must be someone who can give him a home
Evelyn update us if you hear from Balmore

carasmam
22-Sep-08, 14:01
That is awful. Hope he finds a good home, cant be worse than the one he came from anyways.[evil] How someone can do such a thing is beyond belief, they will sleep at night because they obviously have no conscience or compassion :eek:

justine
22-Sep-08, 14:46
If hes as delightful as you described him i see him going to a good home soon.Well done you for helping him;). Buttholes like this need to be taken to somewhere unknown to them and tied to a post and left..[evil]

evelyn
22-Sep-08, 15:02
I'm just glad that the cat was annoying him enough for him to bark, or goodness knows how long he would have been standing outside.....mibbe all night.
We were delighted with him, but we've already got a couple of dogs, two cats and another pair of strays who pop in now and again.
Hope he gets rehomed with someone who will appreciate what a cutie he is.
Thanks for your replies folks.
evelyn

johnlc
22-Sep-08, 15:47
That really disgusts me that,poor wee soul,i just dnt understand people like that.:mad:
Well hopefully the dog goes to a proper carer who looks after him well

arana negra
22-Sep-08, 16:33
Having been through this earlier this year I hope the dog finds a caring loving owner or just perhaps his orignal one as they may have genuinely lost him and some caring body tied him to the railings so he was safe from road. Anyway well done you for taking him to police so he may be found/rehomed.

balto
22-Sep-08, 18:37
whoever abandoned this poor dog, should be ashamed of themselves, hope they are feeling really guilty now, i am sure a dog like this will son find a new home nd a loving one at that.[evil]

Liz
23-Sep-08, 23:34
The poor wee soul! There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to do this and, as Justine said, they should be dumped and tied up to see how they would feel!!!

Here's hoping that it gets the home it deserves where it will be loved and respected as it should be instead of being treated as a piece of rubbish!

Well done for caring for it Evelyn.:D

Kevin Milkins
24-Sep-08, 00:07
Desperate people do desperate things and I suppose it would seem proper and right to jump on the person that tied this dog up with an unfortunate and unsure future.
I am sure that most people have a different set of circumstances as they move through life and they can change from day to day, somtimes without warning..
Its a shame that this dog has had to endure the situation that it finds himself in, however if it was given the choice of tied to a railings of a careing pet lover or a sack in the canal??????????.
I am sure we could all do better when faced with a difercult desicion and we could all do a lot worse.

Liz
24-Sep-08, 00:21
I see where you are coming from Kevin and do agree with you to some extent.

However, I still think there is no excuse for doing this and making it someone elses problem.

All they needed to do was call the SSPCA and sign the dog over to them.

Kevin Milkins
24-Sep-08, 00:48
I see where you are coming from Kevin and do agree with you to some extent.

However, I still think there is no excuse for doing this and making it someone elses problem.

All they needed to do was call the SSPCA and sign the dog over to them.

We have to somtimes put ourselves in to other peoples boots before we can understand why some folk do things that beggers belief in our world.

If you were my wife and I came home from the pub drunk and had a row that developed into me giving you a thumping, I could understand that you may want to leave the marital home pronto.

If we had a dog ,and you felt it was not in the dogs best interest to be left at home, ( IE he could end up in the canal.)

Do you start by ringing the SSPCA, or do you try and sort out the fact that you are out of a home first., and then do what you think may be in the best interest of the dog?

It is not always possible to judge the situation by our own standards.

Liz
24-Sep-08, 01:14
I applaud you for looking for the 'good' in this situation but the sad truth is that far too many dogs (and other pets) are being abandoned and I can't see that all of these cases are because the owner finds themselves in the scenario which you describe.

When you take on the responsibility of a pet then you have the duty to care for them for the rest of their lives and that also means ensuring that they are going to be well cared for if you are no longer able to look after them for whatever reason.

Surely if you really cared for the pet in question then putting them 'in a sack in the canal' would be unthinkable and you would pick up the phone and ask for help instead?

In any case I truly hope that this wee dog finds a loving home.:D

evelyn
24-Sep-08, 10:05
Just a little update......the dog is still in Balmore.
As the SSPCA officer said, he's friendly, trusting and appears to be well trained.
Goodness knows why he was abandoned.
Lets hope he gets a good home soon.
evelyn

teenybash
24-Sep-08, 11:40
Good to hear the little chap is okay.......because he is well behave, friendly seems to say he came from a loving home....something must have happened for the owner to take such desperate measures.....hope all is well that ends well.
Sending the wee doggy a virtual kiss to be plopped on his litle black nose .......:Razz

balto
24-Sep-08, 12:53
tell you if they ever find out who dumped this poor dog like this, then they should tie them up and leave them like that on a cold night and see how they like it. as for putting ourselves in their shoes, then i am sorry would never want to walk there as they could have phonend the sspca themselves and explained that they couldnt look after the dog themselves, and could they come and collect it, instead of just dumping him. hope he gets a new home soon, with people he can learn to trust.

carasmam
24-Sep-08, 14:03
We have to somtimes put ourselves in to other peoples boots before we can understand why some folk do things that beggers belief in our world.

If you were my wife and I came home from the pub drunk and had a row that developed into me giving you a thumping, I could understand that you may want to leave the marital home pronto.

If we had a dog ,and you felt it was not in the dogs best interest to be left at home, ( IE he could end up in the canal.)

Do you start by ringing the SSPCA, or do you try and sort out the fact that you are out of a home first., and then do what you think may be in the best interest of the dog?

It is not always possible to judge the situation by our own standards.

I was in such a position once and when I phoned the taxi at 2am to come and get me the 1st thing I asked the operator was if the dog would be allowed in the taxi, luckily she said yes when I explained the situation :) If not I would have started walking to goodness knows where.... I am sorry but I can see no justification for a tying a dog to someones railings :(

purplelady
24-Sep-08, 23:00
I was in such a position once and when I phoned the taxi at 2am to come and get me the 1st thing I asked the operator was if the dog would be allowed in the taxi, luckily she said yes when I explained the situation :) If not I would have started walking to goodness knows where.... I am sorry but I can see no justification for a tying a dog to someones railings :(
i agree it is sick am an animal lover and could not hurt any animal poeple who do things like that are well cannot sya what i feel they are on here would get banned lol

mccaugm
24-Sep-08, 23:29
Desperate people do desperate things and I suppose it would seem proper and right to jump on the person that tied this dog up with an unfortunate and unsure future.
I am sure that most people have a different set of circumstances as they move through life and they can change from day to day, somtimes without warning..
Its a shame that this dog has had to endure the situation that it finds himself in, however if it was given the choice of tied to a railings of a careing pet lover or a sack in the canal??????????.
I am sure we could all do better when faced with a difercult desicion and we could all do a lot worse.

Sorry I disagree, there is always an animal rescue charity, drowning etc went out in the dark ages or so I thought. This was not necessary.

evelyn
09-Oct-08, 22:16
Great news... this lucky boy has been rehomed.
evelyn

ett23
09-Oct-08, 22:37
That's fantastic news. What a lovely end to such a sad story! Hope he finds the love he deserves with his new owners......:D

Liz
09-Oct-08, 22:39
That is brilliant news Evelyn! Thanks a lot for letting us know.:D

teenybash
09-Oct-08, 22:57
Ahh ....another little soul safe and content in a lovely new home...happy, happy news.:D

evelyn
09-Oct-08, 23:11
I'm really delighted for him too. He's been on my mind since I handed him in to the police.
I've already got two dogs and two cats....and it looks like I've just been adopted by another moggy!!! So I didn't feel I could take another dog on as well!
My mum phoned Balmore about him and was told he had been rehomed with a family who's 16 year old dog had recently died. I am sure he will bring them lots of happiness...he was such a cheery wee guy.
evelyn

Kevin Milkins
09-Oct-08, 23:43
All's well that ends well :Razz

carasmam
10-Oct-08, 09:03
:DThats great news, another happy ending

cuddlepop
10-Oct-08, 14:16
Thats gret news Evelyn so glad he's found himself a loving home.:D

balto
10-Oct-08, 15:01
brilliant news that this dog has found a loving home, hope he gives his new owners loads of happy years.

purplelady
12-Oct-08, 22:59
that is wonderful news he will be spoiled rotten i bet