PDA

View Full Version : Dated hotels in the highlands

blowfish
20-Sep-08, 23:07
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of hotels in the Highlands do not even make the effort. They seem to get most of their trade from the "Silver pound". the Crumbly tours that arrive who seem to be at that age that they will accept mediocrity.
I stayed in a hotel in Tain recently while on business. I will not mention which one. But it was safe to say the rooms were dated. I was told if I did not arrive before a certain time i'd be locked out. the rooms showed signs of aging and only had 4 tv channels which were fuzzy. The shower i got was unsatisfying to say the least with only a trickle of a spray coming out.
Obviously these hotels get their stars out of a cereal packet because it is not due to customer care and service. have they not heard of satelitte tv and wifi connections.

The best bit though was the discovery that they still had a Goblin Teasmaid.

TBH
20-Sep-08, 23:10
There's nothing wrong with being quaint.[lol]

jock196640
20-Sep-08, 23:12
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of hotels in the Highlands do not even make the effort. They seem to get most of their trade from the "Silver pound". the Crumbly tours that arrive who seem to be at that age that they will accept mediocrity.
I stayed in a hotel in Tain recently while on business. I will not mention which one. But it was safe to say the rooms were dated. I was told if I did not arrive before a certain time i'd be locked out. the rooms showed signs of aging and only had 4 tv channels which were fuzzy. The shower i got was unsatisfying to say the least with only a trickle of a spray coming out.
Obviously these hotels get their stars out of a cereal packet because it is not due to customer care and service. have they not heard of satelitte tv and wifi connections.

The best bit though was the discovery that they still had a Goblin Teasmaid.

Dated rooms, unsatisfying sprarys, fuzzy channels, sounds like a dated period drama

Venture
20-Sep-08, 23:16
The best way round that blowfish, is to check out the hotel before you stay there.:eek:

blowfish
20-Sep-08, 23:17
There's nothing wrong with being quaint.[lol]

yep it was so quaint that to make a cup of coffee. I had to remove my kettle from where it sat on the chest of drawers as there was no socket to plug it into. I looked for a socket and found two. I tried to place the kettle on raised surface but the flex was so small it could not reach. I ended up placing the kettle on the floor in order to plug it in and boil it. I was boiling before the kettle. now how on earth is some old biddy who is on one of these pandrop and digestive tours meant to bend down and plug in her kettle. Not to mention the health and safety implications if she does manage to boil the water and then lift it up of its ground zero position.

fawlty towers.

jock196640
20-Sep-08, 23:22
yep it was so quaint that to make a cup of coffee. I had to remove my kettle from where it sat on the chest of drawers as there was no socket to plug it into. I looked for a socket and found two. I tried to place the kettle on raised surface but the flex was so small it could not reach. I ended up placing the kettle on the floor in order to plug it in and boil it. I was boiling before the kettle. now how on earth is some old biddy who is on one of these pandrop and digestive tours meant to bend down and plug in her kettle. Not to mention the health and safety implications if she does manage to boil the water and then lift it up of its ground zero position.

fawlty towers.

Blowfish you sound like you have been reading some material that has been giving you new ideas. Its nice to hear people talking about health and safty it always helps me to fall asleep

dook
20-Sep-08, 23:24

fawlty towers.

You should have complained. I can't stand weak people who put up with rubbish then spend the next 4 years moaning about it.

changilass
20-Sep-08, 23:25
It aint just the Highlands.

Was in Northumberland at the begining of the week, very quaint, you pay extra for that don't you know.

blowfish
20-Sep-08, 23:26
Blowfish you sound like you have been reading some material that has been giving you new ideas. Its nice to hear people talking about health and safty it always helps me to fall asleep

The old health and safety is not a laughing matter. after the kettle fiasco, I was too scared to even try my goblin teasmaid due to the age of it. I would only have been splattered with hot liquid. I was surprised there was no corgi trouser press. though there was a twin shoe shine machine out in the foyer.

pat
21-Sep-08, 09:57
Run a small B&B - not in Caithness - most of my guests are regulars visitors to the area I live.
Have been in a couple of the hotels rooms when friends have been visiting - I would not put my dog in them, the kennels are better.
First hotel room I saw here - carpet was from 60s and very stained, wallpaper dont know when it was last repapered but it was horrible - dirty, faded, torn - bedcovers were stained and had many cigarette burns, the place stunk of damp and mould, ensuite had black mould in all grouting.
Second hotel - the spaces under the doors - I could have nearly limbo danced under them, the windows - you could stuff a bath towel between the windows the gap was huge to try to stop the wind howling through, the beds - once you were in that was it you sunk into the middle and a fight to get out again, chair - three legged with fourth off leaning against wall!, carpet - so dirty I could not see colour or pattern and frightened to stand still as I would stick to it, cobwebs - better than any lace curtains.
After both visits the first thing I did was go home to have a scrub.
Both these places have stars from Visit Scotland - it is up to the guests to complain about standards.
Scots on the whole do not like to complain but why pay a high price for inadequate cleanliness and service - go on to the hotel website and leave your comments for everyone to view.
The best recommendation is - word of mouth, next time ask around and you will be surprised who has been where, worth a try.

My guests come back time after time, I do not even have a website to advertise my business - it is 95% word of mouth and 5% dedicated internet searching.

Angela
21-Sep-08, 10:08
The worst place I've stayed was a B&B in Ambleside in the Lake District. Our double room turned out to be a family room in the attics, with an extra bed and a cot -fine if you want a family room but we didn't and there was something rather odd about having an empty cot in the room.

The decoration was far from fresh, the carpet thin and worn, the duvet cover had cigarette burns in it.

The towels were thin and hard and grey - presumably they'd once been white. The thing that tipped me over the edge however was the bar of soap in the bathroom -it was almost all used up with dried out cracks in it, and when I turned it over very carefully with my fingertips I could see there were someone's else's hairs attached to it.....[evil] :eek:

We left!

Margaret M.
21-Sep-08, 15:17
Whenever possible, I stick with big name hotels all over Britain -- Marriott, Hilton, etc. The rooms in the individually owned, moderately priced hotels are usually small, out of date and priced way too high for what they offer. Even some of the places that are fairly expensive leave much to be desired.

I haven't stayed in any hotels in Caithness recently but hopefully they have been refurbished to a much higher standard than they were a few years back.

Before leaving this time, I stayed at a Marriott by Heathrow and it was wonderful. Very clean, granite countertops, beautifully decorated and it cost a mere 59 pounds per night.

Angela
21-Sep-08, 16:30
Whenever possible, I stick with big name hotels all over Britain -- Marriott, Hilton, etc. The rooms in the individually owned, moderately priced hotels are usually small, out of date and priced way too high for what they offer.

Before leaving this time, I stayed at a Marriott by Heathrow and it was wonderful. Very clean, granite countertops, beautifully decorated and it cost a mere 59 pounds per night.

Don't you find these places a bit impersonal and bland though, Margaret? I used to stay in them a lot when travelling for work and I agree the standard is predictably high, but everything is so uniform.

I much prefer a really good B&B or small hotel for a relaxing break.:)

Ash
21-Sep-08, 16:49
my parents stayed in the Hilton as a suprise for my mum for her 50th birthday as they were going to a concert, they loved it, they found it relaxing, modern and very clean and comfy... expensive but you pay for what you get

percy toboggan
21-Sep-08, 16:55
Run a small B&B - not in Caithness - most of my guests are regulars visitors to the area I live.

You should give yourself a plug.
My internet searches are not always 'dedicated'.

I think many of the grey-head coach tourists are looking for the auld fashioned anyway. There is definitely a place for 'quaint'
One day I might take such a tour, although it's unlikely.
I'd not want cable telly, wi-fi or even hi-fi...I can do all that at home.
When I come looking for the old country that's what I'd expect.

I can understand business travellers being a little dis-satisfied.